• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers' peak concurrent Steam playerbase dropped to 431 today [Up2: Down to 302]

Budi

I'm snarky cause I bought the game, got shit tutorials that I complained about but fans said that the game is "SkilledAF" so it doesn't need good ones, had some mild fun with the few hours I played enough to post a couple of youtube vids, and now since I've moved onto other games, just watching the ego of CliffyB come crashing down.

If there are BossKey people in the OT and not here, then I don't see the issue. Is the thread being made and bumped affecting their work? Ask them cause I don't want to assume.
I mean people can read threads where they don't write. And the person you responded with snark showed some compassion and empathy, more people should know how to do that. And I don't mean only when it's about game developers, but any human being. We would have less racists and other bigots marching on streets if they were able to feel some empathy. Multiplayer gaming would be less toxic and gaming overall more welcoming to new people. In the new IGN review Davide Soliani told that the reaction to the Mario + Rabbids leaks were discouraging and hurt the morale of the team a lot. That reaction by gamers wasn't based on the game itself (since it hadn't been shown yet), like the reactions in this thread aren't about the game itself. There's very little constructive criticism (there have been some) about the game and what it could done and still do differently to improve. It's just nastiness.

Yeah I was in that thread you made and you got reasonable responses, people seemed to agree with you? Where did fans of the game say you the game is "skilled AF"? Couldn't find it in that thread.

Edit: And my thoughts about empathy and toxicity aren't just aimed at you, I don't mean to call you out specifically like that. I'm just tired of the toxicity in gaming. And this thread keeps reminding me of that, I've shared my thoughts on that in more related threads and decided to vent now too. I'm also not whining about this thread existing, but the attitude of many of these posts. When movies bomb it's considered newsworthy, so reporting about it regarding games is ok too even when such reports have bigger negative impact on the future success of a multiplayer game than it does for a movie.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not even following this game or this news but I've seen this thread title updated a few times now and it's kind of brutal to watch.

I mean people can read threads where they don't write. And the person you responded with snark showed some compassion and empathy, more people should know how to do that. And I don't mean only when it's about game developers, but any human being. We would have less racists and other bigots marching on streets if they were able to feel some empathy. Multiplayer gaming would be less toxic and gaming overall more welcoming to new people. In the new IGN review Davide Soliani told that the reaction to the Mario + Rabbids leaks were discouraging and hurt the morale of the team a lot. That reaction by gamers wasn't based on the game itself (since it hadn't been shown yet), like the reactions in this thread aren't about the game itself. There's very little constructive criticism (there have been some) about the game and what it could done and still do differently to improve. It's just nastiness.

Yeah I was in that thread you made and you got reasonable responses, people seemed to agree with you? Where did fans of the game say you the game is "skilled AF"? Couldn't find it in that thread.

Edit: And my thoughts about empathy and toxicity aren't just aimed at you, I don't mean to call you out specifically like that. I'm just tired of the toxicity in gaming. And this thread keeps reminding me of that, I've shared my thoughts on that in more related threads and decided to vent now too. I'm also not whining about this thread existing, but the attitude of many of these posts. When movies bomb it's considered newsworthy, so reporting about it regarding games is ok too even when such reports have bigger negative impact on the future success of a multiplayer game than it does for a movie.
Notice any of
E92 M2
's replies in threads about Lawbreakers and you'll see what I mean with the "SkilledAF" elitist attitude that's an analogue of the "git gud" meme that went around with the Dark Souls community.

If you don't have an issue with threads about movies bombing and being newsworthy, I don't see the extra concern here. Reporting about movies bombing would do the same as games, people might not then want to watch the movie. People are way more openly gleeful about movies bombing than videogames. That's just the side effect of such news. At this point, you're being wishy washy and it comes across as tone policing. At some points you're fine with people expressing their various opinions on a game, then at others, you're lamenting that there is toxicity and why can't there just be constructive criticism from only people who've played the game. Then you're relating it to racism and bigots marching which seems like a reach. If anything, Lawbreakers' elitist marketing and lack of accessibility (no bots, lacking tutorials) did more to turn off potential new players than discussion threads about it. You aren't a shareholder of the game or involved in the process, so why not just ignore the negativity. You're not going to steer the general consensus on a game after the fact.

Bluth54

Nice, could we get an update to the thread title?

Why though? The thread is about how low the concurrent player count is. Of course its going to occasionally go up a little bit, especially as the weekend approaches and people have more time to play games.

I'm snarky cause I bought the game, got shit tutorials that I complained about but fans said that the game is "SkilledAF" so it doesn't need good ones, had some mild fun with the few hours I played enough to post a couple of youtube vids, and now since I've moved onto other games, just watching the ego of CliffyB come crashing down.

If there are BossKey people in the OT and not here, then I don't see the issue. Is the thread being made and bumped affecting their work? Ask them cause I don't want to assume.

Just keep in mind that fans (even on here) are not necessarily representative of the entire population. There are extreme biases in preferences/attitudes in places like this. It's probably safe to say that most of the players aren't going to tell you that the game doesn't need good tutorials, hell I don't recall seeing many (although I did see a few) people saying the game doesn't actually need tutorials. I did see people (this is how I feel as well) saying that they personally did not need tutorials but thought the game would definitely benefit from having them. The OP in the OT is probably not representative of "fans." He's one fan that, frankly, has some silly opinions.

If you don't want to assume that it's affecting their work, I don't think it's fair to assume it's not affecting their work either. I've never worked on a video game, but I can relate to people being being ignorant and talking straight out of their ass when they have no idea what's going on. It's hard to ignore that stuff, it's not useful for pretty much anyone, and it's just not necessary.

When I see shit like "are we sure it's not the LB devs firing up their computers?" when talking about a slight increase in population on a Friday, I shake my head. It brings literally nothing to the conversation.

People are entitled to say/do what they think to a certain degree and shitposting generally falls under that, but I don't find it useful and it certainly doesn't do anything to promote discussion about the topic at hand, which is the whole point of the thread.

Budi

Notice any of
E92 M2
's replies in threads about Lawbreakers and you'll see what I mean with the "SkilledAF" elitist attitude that's an analogue of the "git gud" meme that went around with the Dark Souls community.

If you don't have an issue with threads about movies bombing and being newsworthy, I don't see the extra concern here. Reporting about movies bombing would do the same as games, people might not then want to watch the movie. People are way more openly gleeful about movies bombing than videogames. That's just the side effect of such news. At this point, you're being wishy washy and it comes across as tone policing. At some points you're fine with people expressing their various opinions on a game, then at others, you're lamenting that there is toxicity and why can't there just be constructive criticism from only people who've played the game. Then you're relating it to racism and bigots marching which seems like a reach. If anything, Lawbreakers' elitist marketing and lack of accessibility (no bots, lacking tutorials) did more to turn off potential new players than discussion threads about it. You aren't a shareholder of the game or involved in the process, so why not just ignore the negativity. You're not going to steer the general consensus on a game after the fact.
Yeah I said I'm okay with reporting about the low numbers and the extra concern has been discussed in this thread too. Movie having low numbers in itself won't scare you away from a movie. And I didn't say that only people who played the game should participate in this thread, why are you implying so? But sure you can call it tone policing that I take offense in people having fun with financial struggle of a game and saying things like "they deserve it". And I was relating the lack of empathy with such behaviour and also to hate against minorities. I don't think it's a reach in either of those cases that it affects that. I also mentioned the toxicity in gaming just to stay inside the topic too. But wanted to take it outside of games since having such disregard about other people and how they might feel has huge implications. I also brought up bullying earlier which I also see tied to lack of empathy. Didn't mean that lack of empathy towards devs is as disastrous as lack of empathy towards minorities. Just that people really should think that what are the benefits of such behaviour and if there are any negatives. And in the cases where people are well aware how their words might affect people but still choose to act that way and be purposefully hurtful, there's something really wrong with them.

And you are right that lack of tutorials, bots (which I was also wishing for even in that thread you made) the marketing push about the skill ceiling has hurt the game financially. But I think you also acknowledge that having gaming sites report and discussion boards having multiple threads on how bad the game is doing can and will keep some people from jumping in to the game since there's the fright that there will be nobody to play with because it's a multiplayer title or even that the game won't be updated anymore and servers go down since it will be literally dead. Still not saying that this couldn't be discussed, but I'm bothered by the people who aren't in the thread to discuss it but having fun with it instead. And it isn't just "fanboys" who have been bothered by it, there's many posters in this thread who don't play the game but have been amazed and even appalled to see people cheering or laughing for the very poor financial perfomance. Even Totalbiscuit who is very consumer centric game critic/journalist whatever you want to call him has commented on some of the attitudes towards this game when it comes to the joy people seem to get from it doing poorly.

About
E92 M2
specifically since you mention him, atleast he isn't actively campaigning against better tutorials like some Souls players are doing with easy mode. Lack of or poor quality tutorials didn't bother him and that's okay. But I haven't seen him saying that those couldn't be included for people who need them since it would ruin the game. But he has kinda showed certain type of elitist attitude in the OT too when talking about the skill based matchmaking and he got called out for it in there. But even then his concern was legitimate since SBMM makes it harder for the higher MMR people to find matches with such low player numbers, this is what he was complaining about. But the way he did it was very self-centered and disregarded less skilled players as someone not as worthy of great gaming experience and people told him that it's not just about you. So yes, I've noticed him. But he has also been friendly and helpful, so it's not all bad. Also there's a good possible discussion about how much tutorials can really help players with a game like this. In my opinion bot matches would be the best and most important addition when it comes to learning the game.

And for why I just don't ignore the negativity since I'm not a shareholder, because I rather call out behaviour that I see being hurtful to others. Just like in multiplayer games I see somebody being disparaged for their skill I step in, I see slurs thrown against other players I step in. I see others having fun with these devs having hard time financially because of low sales and telling how they deserve it, I step in. I don't think I need to be a shareholder to do this. Are you one of those people who don't care about anything if it doesn't concern you directly? The game was created by group that seems to be decent people, not by big bad corporation. About Nexon that is publishing it I don't know much, they could be bad people, let me know. Worst thing I'm aware of are the loot boxes as a monetization model and I've been against it even with this game. But I've never wished for any game with loot boxes to fail, I just wish they would use less exploitative means to fund the further developement of the game. And loot boxes are another thing that doesn't really affect me directly since I just don't buy them, but I still speak against it.

Edit: Slight update since I just watched the new new video shared about Lawbreakers in GAF that you watched too. Considering that Crowbcat is someone who uses racist jokes in his videos and this another one seems to make fun of the diversity and inclusiveness of the game and studio, talking about bigots doesn't really seem like a reach at all.
Why though? The thread is about how low the concurrent player count is. Of course its going to occasionally go up a little bit, especially as the weekend approaches and people have more time to play games.
Well I wasn't actually serious, it was a joke since the title has been updated for the lower player count too.

dickroach

Yeah I said I'm okay with reporting about the low numbers and the extra concern has been discussed in this thread too. Movie having low numbers in itself won't scare you away from a movie. And I didn't say that only people who played the game should participate in this thread, why are you implying so? But sure you can call it tone policing that I take offense in people having fun with financial struggle of a game and saying things like "they deserve it". And I was relating the lack of empathy with such behaviour and hate against minorities. I don't think it's a reach in either of those cases that it affects that. I also mentioned the toxicity in gaming just to stay inside the topic too. But wanted to take it outside of games since having such disregard about other people and how they might feel has huge implications. Didn't mean that lack of empathy towards devs is as disastrous as lack of empathy towards minorities. Just that people really should think that what are the benefits of such behaviour and if there are any negatives.

And you are right that lack of tutorials, bots (which I was also wishing for even in that thread you made) the marketing push about the skill ceiling has hurt the game financially. But I think you also acknowledge that having gaming sites report and discussion boards having multiple threads on how bad the game is doing can and will keep some people from jumping in to the game since there's the fright that there will be nobody to play with because it's a multiplayer title or even that the game won't be updated anymore and servers go down since it will be literally dead. Still not saying that this couldn't be discussed, but I'm bothered by the people who aren't in the thread to discuss it but having fun with it instead. And it isn't just "fanboys" who have been bothered by it, there's many posters in this thread who don't play the game but have been amazed to see people cheering or laughing for the very poor financial perfomance.

About E92 specifically since you mention him, atleast he isn't actively campaigning against better tutorials like some Souls players are doing with easy mode. Lack of or poor quality of tutorials didn't bother him and that's okay. But I haven't seen him saying that those couldn't be included for people who need them since it would ruin the game. But he has kinda showed certain type of elitist attitude in the OT too when talking about the skill based matchmaking and he got called out for it in there. But even then his concern was legitimate since SBMM makes it harder for the higher MMR people to find matches with such low player numbers, this is what he was complaining about. But the way he did it was very self-centered and disregarded less skilled players as someone not as worthy of great gaming experience. So yes, I've noticed him. But he has also been friendly and helpful, so it's not all bad.

And for why I just don't ignore the negativity since I'm not a shareholder, because I rather call out behaviour that I see being hurtful to others. Just like in multiplayer games I see somebody being disparaged for their skill I step in, I see slurs thrown against other players I step in. I see others having fun with these devs having hard time financially because of low sales and telling how they deserve it, I step in. I don't think I need to be a shareholder to do this. Are you one of those people who don't care about anything if it doesn't concern you directly? The game was created by group that seems to be decent people, not by big bad corporation. About Nexon that is publishing it I don't know much, if they are bad people let me know. Worst thing I'm aware of are the loot boxes as a monetization model and I've been against it even with this game. But I've never wished for any game with loot boxes to fail, I just wish they would use less exploitative means to fund the further developement of the game.
Well I wasn't actually serious, it was a joke since the title has been updated for the lower player count too.

yea thats what ive been saying

Card Boy

Banned
73 people playing as of this post, top of 262.

UFTIQIV.png

Blame that Mirage Arcane Warfare thread for reminding me.

are we sure these are real players though, and not bosskey just loading it up on spare pc's?

I LOLed.

Just the thought of them being so desperate to raise the player count by the number of extra machines they have lying around is a funny mental image.

73 people playing as of this post, top of 262.

UFTIQIV.png

Blame that Mirage Arcane Warfare thread for reminding me.

Starting to doubt that even going F2P will save this game now.

Mirage is trying it's free for a day experiment today but I'm not sure that's going to work out for the game.

Archtreyz

Maaaan, I really wanted to pick this up, there were just other games I wanted to finish off first. Super disappointing because what I've played of it was great fun.

"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people."

"The visual fidelity and feature sets we expect from games now come with sky high costs. Assasins Creed games are made by thousands of devs."

"Newsflash. This is why you're seeing free to play and microtransactions everywhere. The disc based day one $60 model is crumbling."

Cliff Bleszinski, 2013

maybe you would have had more success if you went with a traditional single-player campaign cliff

I genuinely wonder what their plan is right now. Surely it cant be to stay the course and hope it makes a comeback because that really seems impossible.

Count your losses and move on? F2P? Demo?

Kayant

"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people."

"The visual fidelity and feature sets we expect from games now come with sky high costs. Assasins Creed games are made by thousands of devs."

"Newsflash. This is why you're seeing free to play and microtransactions everywhere. The disc based day one $60 model is crumbling."

Cliff Bleszinski, 2013

maybe you would have had more success if you went with a traditional single-player campaign cliff
Which would have made things even more expensive

"Campaigns cost the most money; it's usually 75 percent of the budget," Bleszinski explained. "You burn through the campaign in a weekend and then you guys go to the multiplayer."

JimiNutz

Banned
I like Cliff so this news sucks but the game just doesn't really interest me at this stage in my life.
Young me would probably have lapped it up.

Maybe Cliff will focus on a SP game next time?

Mooreberg

Cliff Bleszinski, 2013

Seriously, the game is getting creamed by Hellblade and Absolver at the same price. Total misread of the market for years on end.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Maybe Cliff will focus on a SP game next time?

That will require new financing sources--debt, equity, etc. Being private we don't know where Boss Key's development funds came from. We do know that back in 2014 Nexon took a minority interest. Lawbreakers was very important for Nexon--parternship with major western studio & first console release.

Will Nexon step up again? Boss Key's first major release being a huge bomb probably makes future funding difficult...

The schadenfreude for this game is sad.

I didn't think the game looked very interesting or like the kind of game I want to play right now, but that's about it.

eizarus

Banned
Hate to say it but I had the exact same experience. The absolutely vomit inducing HUD doesn't help.

Slayven

It's dead jim

Damn, liked the concept but execution was flawed.

I wonder how much did the demos turn people off?

JWiLL

Banned
Damn, this really sucks. I own the game but haven't played it too much due to time constraints, but I never expected the numbers to be this bad considering the game is really damn good.

What do the console numbers look like? Seems like it would appeal to that market, though taking console gamers off of COD/BF/Destiny is never easy.

-MD-

I still play it on PC nearly everyday, it only becomes difficult to find matches at like 3am.

What ks sad is they had a lot of top twitch streamers go to event and paid them to play their game at launch. Clearly non of them liked it, if top twitch people dont like it, all tbeir minions wont either. If Lyric was playing this game it would be popular, what a world we live in

Swarna

What ks sad is they had a lot of top twitch streamers go to event and paid them to play their game at launch. Clearly non of them liked it and just like pubg, if top twitch people dont like it, all tbeir minions wont either. If Lyric was playing this game it would be popular, what a world we live in
Or maybe the game just isn't that good?

What ks sad is they had a lot of top twitch streamers go to event and paid them to play their game at launch. Clearly non of them liked it, if top twitch people dont like it, all tbeir minions wont either. If Lyric was playing this game it would be popular, what a world we live in
It's like when Youtube makeup gurus do a sponsored brand deal with a product for a month. Then the next month they're not using that product anymore and get back to the stuff they actually prefer.

Zeneric

Really sad to see this game dying. I do still play it everyday, just not as much as before. Maybe new maps will make me play it more.

The schadenfreude for this game is sad.

I didn't think the game looked very interesting or like the kind of game I want to play right now, but that's about it.

Well, a lot of it has to with Cliff's very cocky public persona. There were his comments I posted earlier about how games need to be a service (and single-player games would be dead without Xbone-style DRM). And there was the time where he purported to tell Japanese developers to do. ("Multi-player with everything! How come Vanquish doesn't have multi-player??? I know what's best for everyone!!!!)

So for all of us who have heard for years about how single-player games are dying, how Japanese console gaming is dead, it does feel good to have a year where games like Nier, Yakuza and Hellblade do well. And call me petty, but after seeing cocky comments like that, I do take some amount of pleasure in seeing his game bomb. I guess people like to see the underdog do well, and the bully fail

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Starting to doubt that even going F2P will save this game now.

Mirage is trying it's free for a day experiment today but I'm not sure that's going to work out for the game.

In all honesty I feel Mirage needs a free week. I doubt one day is going to get the ball rolling again.

gossi

I still get near instant matches on PS4. The longest matchmaking time I've had is 15 seconds, normally it's a few seconds. Played 10 hours so far.

Well, a lot of it has to with Cliff's very cocky public persona. There were his comments I posted earlier about how games need to be a service (and single-player games would be dead without Xbone-style DRM). And there was the time where he purported to tell Japanese developers to do. ("Multi-player with everything! How come Vanquish doesn't have multi-player??? I know what's best for everyone!!!!)

So for all of us who have heard for years about how single-player games are dying, how Japanese console gaming is dead, it does feel good to have a year where games like Nier, Yakuza and Hellblade do well. And call me petty, but after seeing cocky comments like that, I do take some amount of pleasure in seeing his game bomb. I guess people like to see the underdog do well, and the bully fail

Yeah, I know all about those things and understand where you guys are coming from (especially being a guy that has primarily played SP for most of my life).

The reason why it feels mean though, is more that I doubt gloating will in any way or form make things better for Lawbreakers, and it would suck if they have to lay everyone off.

I'm 100% certain that if Lawbreakers had gotten a bigger initial audience (by having a slightly more attractive products, possibly), there would've been a lot more people playing the game that would've enjoyed it. Those people are now not able to enjoy it, because they don't feel there's any point in getting a dying game.

Moff

It's just fascinating, I guess that a cliffyB game fails like that. I mean the dude made unreal, UT and gears of war. I don't even hate the guy but I just have to look at this accident whenever it pops up.

they should really do a free to play day or something like that, I'd have a look at it. does it still run bad?

Top Bottom