• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers' peak concurrent Steam playerbase dropped to 431 today [Up2: Down to 302]

Well, a lot of it has to with Cliff's very cocky public persona. There were his comments I posted earlier about how games need to be a service (and single-player games would be dead without Xbone-style DRM). And there was the time where he purported to tell Japanese developers to do. ("Multi-player with everything! How come Vanquish doesn't have multi-player??? I know what's best for everyone!!!!)

So for all of us who have heard for years about how single-player games are dying, how Japanese console gaming is dead, it does feel good to have a year where games like Nier, Yakuza and Hellblade do well. And call me petty, but after seeing cocky comments like that, I do take some amount of pleasure in seeing his game bomb. I guess people like to see the underdog do well, and the bully fail
None of that comes off as him being a bully at all. His work at Epic has helped create an engine hundreds of Japanese developers use today too.

It is petty man. Mad petty.

I think it was just marketing, maybe if they had partnered with Sony or Microsoft and shown their game at a conference, things would be better.

I think it was just marketing, maybe if they had partnered with Sony or Microsoft and shown their game at a conference, things would be better.
Lack of marketing certainly didn't help. Neither did pushing the launch back, and then nobody knowing the game was actually releasing. The beta didn't do them any good. And really, they came just after everyone got tired of the futuristic wall jumping shooters. If someone just took a quick look, it seemed like a futuristic Call of Duty multiplayer just after people got enough of those. They really had a combination going that all went against them.

Poor Cliffy B.

Someone gifted me LawBreakers on PS4. I played 5 games of it and moved on. It wasn't bad at all, but it certainly didn't keep my attention either.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This kind of remind me of this
drawntodeath-555x328.jpg

Is this game's online still active?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
...this came out?
I love his games, but I totally thought his developing house "The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency" was the game he was releasing and not the game that was actually going to be released.

I had even gone so far as to think it would be a game where the playstyle is like Professor Layton meets Luigi's Mansion meets God of War. :(

I played the beta and I got it for free with PSN Plus.

Remk

hay guise what if the numbers gets even lower tomorrow? Wouldn't that be amazing? God I'm so excited at the possibility

I know! Isn't schadenfreude the best?

But seriously, the game seems to have some solid gameplay but the lack of a unique identity isn't gonna cut it on an overcrowded market

FiveSide

Banned
Man, I honestly wish I was into games of this genre, so that I could justify actually picking this up and playing it. It's not really my thing, but for a game of its type it seems to be thoughtfully designed.

Heartbreaking how it's getting dogpiled when effort and passion clearly went into it, and it ended up being a great game by most accounts.

Gator86

Man, I honestly wish I was into games of this genre, so that I could justify actually picking this up and playing it. It's not really my thing, but for a game of its type it seems to be thoughtfully designed.

Heartbreaking how it's getting dogpiled when effort and passion clearly went into it, and it ended up being a great game by most accounts.

I'm not opposed to some schadenfreude - things need to fail for a market to function and sometimes it's funny. It's definitely weird to see it for a game basically everyone agrees is good, with it's biggest shortcoming being that the style is kind of corny. I think a lot of it is just the Cliffy factor. If he wasn't attached, I don't think people would have been so aggressive about it. But yeah, as a person who's seen some of their favorite games struggle with population issues, it definitely sucks.

BizzyBum

How is this not F2P yet?

Yeah, it's embarrassing to do it so soon and you're going to have to majorly compensate the people who spent $30 but it needs to be done.

Timeaisis

I remember reading somewhere that this game was doing "really well" according to Cliffy. But that may have been completely made up.

I'm fucking appalled this topic is still going, not to mention the title being updated by the mods as that player count continues to decline. I hope one day all of you taking enjoyment from this suffer a heavily failure in your job where unemployment is a real possibility, and you realise that taking pleasure in someone's financial difficulties like this is fucking pathetic.

And yeah, I get it - you don't like Cliff. So what. From a quick glance at their website there are over 50 other members of staff there. Fucking grow up.

^this thread has about as much to do with taking pleasure in the financial difficulties that boss key employees may face as the PUBG thread has to do with the financial bonuses that bluehole employees may receive. you think people follow the PUBG thread because bluehole employees may be getting bonuses or there's gonna be some nice Maseratis in the parking lot?

it's because it's game news and as consumers we are free to celebrate or shit on consumer products with no ethical responsibility to the people who may or may not make them --unless they make themselves part of that product*

*as is arguably the case with Cliffy B (who I personally actually like but I see nothing wrong with people shitting on his over-promises or failure to deliver on them)

Neith

Banned
...this came out?

Dude, I could hardly find a match in the beta. I have no fucking clue what Jaffe was even thinking with this game. Free money to burn I guess, because it was alright in theory, but nothing came together well. It was just some low budget whacko game with super low player counts and low player matches.

Still it's ridiculous that people take joy in this shit.

Honestly, though, I have no idea what Jaffe was thinking. He maybe should have taken that artstyle and stayed the fuck out of MP games. These guys literally have visions of grandeur, and they never seem to work out. Same thing with Twisted Metal. These are just poor games for the most part. But I did like some things about the artstyle in DtD, which would have been better served in a 2D platformer story.

With Cliffy B I never cared much. Don't really like his games and they really don't hold up well.

Perineum

Once Destiny 2 hit, and then you have two other big FPS games around the corner, it was just expected this game and other FPS would take a plunge from current population.

I'm fucking appalled this topic is still going, not to mention the title being updated by the mods as that player count continues to decline. I hope one day all of you taking enjoyment from this suffer a heavily failure in your job where unemployment is a real possibility, and you realise that taking pleasure in someone's financial difficulties like this is fucking pathetic.

And yeah, I get it - you don't like Cliff. So what. From a quick glance at their website there are over 50 other members of staff there. Fucking grow up.

Yeah, okay, dude. This thread was made with no emotions either way. It's news. Deal with it.

Zen Aku

I don't think most of us here care about CliffyB one way or another. At least I certainly don't. I'm just here to watch the train wreck.

Mercador

None of that comes off as him being a bully at all. His work at Epic has helped create an engine hundreds of Japanese developers use today too.

It is petty man. Mad petty.
And that's probably why he's so cocky. He did something really great by the past. He never got failures on his records so he thinks he can do better than, let's say, Blizzard. We could call that the Romero effect.

Demoskinos

Yeah, okay, dude. This thread was made with no emotions either way. It's news. Deal with it.

This was news on launch week. Now its just turned into people gathering around to watch the game die for their delight. Hell, a few people have openly admitted to just that in this thread. At least they are honest about it.

Kikorin

I think even Devil's Third on Wii U did better than this (and I liked it a lot too...), It's sad see a flop like this, but at this point only going ftp and have a huge marketing campaign could eventually save this game.

I think even Devil's Third on Wii U did better than this (and I liked it a lot too...), It's sad see a flop like this, but at this point only going ftp and have a huge marketing campaign could eventually save this game.

Hell, CoD BLOPS II did way better than this on the Wii U. That player base averaged around 2000 people daily at it's peak.

I've no interest in the game, but I find it odd how many people seem to be jeering at its failure.
I find it odd how everyone seems to be happily charting how its popularity is declining daily. I mean, maybe I'm reading it wrong and people want to use it as a case-study of how to not launch a game in a ferociously competitive genre, but it doesn't feel like a genuine attempt at analysis is the intent behind this topic.

You're taking this too personally, it might be time to back away if it's leading you to make claims about financial difficulties based on no evidence and wishing people here to suffer job failure.

Top Bottom