• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Battlefront info (40 players, heroes, free Ep7 DLC, FPS & TPS) [Full Screens]

Boke1879

What experience and what field.

I've never seen anything particularly noteworthy when it comes to good design decisions from them, especially in the Battlefield series.

Also I'm pretty sure one can safely assume only one person gets to play as a hero seeing how it would be pretty goofy if you had 40 Vaders running around. Chances are he'll be rewarded to the highest scoring player, so basically the guy already winning will have a way more powerful way of killing the enemy team. You seriously cannot tell me there's a way to "balance" a character like him.

You're making assumptions. Battlefield games are fun. That's all this game needs to be. Again we don't know how the hero system works. It honestly seems like you've completely written the game off and aren't interested.

You're making assumptions. Battlefield games are fun. That's all this game needs to be. Again we don't know how the hero system works. It honestly seems like you've completely written the game off and aren't interested.

And it seems like you're not going to even attempt to tell me how any claim I'm making is incorrect.

Maybe he doesn't want to make assumptions on how something works due to how little information is out there currently?

Ok how exactly do you think it's supposed to work? Like how many alternatives can there be, and either way if you don't think the guy playing the hero isn't most definitely going to be more powerful than the average class you're actually in denial.

I swear this reminds me of people trying to tell me "oh you don't know!" when The Order was starting to look bad. So when they announce that the hero system will work probably almost exactly the way I just described it do I get to quote this conversation and ask what the fuck is up?

Boke1879

And it seems like you're not going to even attempt to tell me how any claim I'm making is incorrect.

Because I've stated we don't know how it works. There is so little information out there. I'm not going to assume anything until I see it. But it seems that you have issues with the battlefield series and you're equating that to this game as well.

As I stated you don't seem interested and it seems the game isn't going to be good based off your assumptions.

Kahoona

Ok how exactly do you think it's supposed to work? Like how many alternatives can there be, and either way if you don't think the guy playing the hero isn't most definitely going to be more powerful than the average class you're actually in denial.

I swear this reminds me of people trying to tell me "oh you don't know!" when The Order was starting to look bad. So when they announce that the hero system will work probably almost exactly the way I just described it do I get to quote this conversation and ask what the fuck is up?

Again, I don't know how it's going to work so I'd rather not speculate until I see even a glimpse of the game actually being played...DICE at least deserves the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

Boke1879

What does The Order have to do with this thread? and yes They've stated that if you playing as Vader you're going to be powerful as he should be.

You can quote whatever you want. You seem to be the one horribly bothered by it. I'm just trying to play a fun game which I'm sure it will be.

Again, I don't know how it's going to work so I'd rather not speculate until I see even a glimpse of the game actually being played...DICE at least deserves the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

Oh ok so we're just not allowed to speculate even if the speculation makes sense m'kay.

They've stated that if you playing as Vader you're going to be powerful as he should be.

Yeah this is the "assumption" I'm making that people are telling me I can't make. It doesn't matter how the hero is awarded, I disagree with it straight up either way.

Yeah I am looking forward to details and/or footage of someone playing a hero character and no matter how bad it is the same people will be like OH BOY I GET TO PLAY AS VADER SO COOOOOL. My entire point is it's basically worse than killstreaks, it's not just a one use option, it's a fuckin character that will be stronger than everyone else. You're basically letting someone having fun at the expense of EVERYONE ELSE PLAYING.

Boke1879

Oh ok so we're just not allowed to speculate even if the speculation makes sense m'kay.

Yeah am looking forward to details and/or footage of someone playing a hero character and no matter how bad it is the same people will be like OH BOY I GET TO PLAY AS VADER SO COOOOOL. My entire point is it's basically worse than killstreaks, it's not just a one use option, it's a fuckin character that will be stronger than everyone else. You're basically letting someone having fun at the expense of EVERYONE ELSE PLAYING.

So you're upset that other people will possibly have fun as playing Vader? You can speculate but you're speaking as if your assumptions are fact.

Again older Battlefronts had Hero characters. If they didn't have them people would be bitching that they aren't in. You seem to already have a sour taste in this game.

So you're upset that other people will possibly have fun as playing Vader? You can speculate but you're speaking as if your assumptions are fact.

Again older Battlefronts had Hero characters. If they didn't have them people would be bitching that they aren't in. You seem to already have a sour taste in this game.

Well if you want to reference them from the previous games, they were a massive problem with balance. A hero had a ridiculous op advantage over everyone else and they were not fun to fight. It's not fun to have to deal with a guy that much stronger than you.

Yoday

Anyone else somewhat worried about map size? I fully understand that maps are designed around player count and Dice is well aware of that, but in terms of actual sheer physical landmass though. Battlefield 4's conquest maps were pretty huge and felt imposing with 64 players duking it out.

Say Battlefront's maps were the same size...it doesn't feel like 40 players would fill it up and have it feel just as chaotic and destructive, no? They can make it so that 40 players do take up an entire map adequately but the maps literally won't be the same size as BF4's right? I just want BF4 sized maps again.
I think they will keep the maps fairly tight but also have massively open variations for vehicle only game modes. I am personally expecting a game mode specifically designed around dog fights. The short bit of footage of Sullest seemed like it was of just such a mode to me.

Boke1879

Well if you want to reference them from the previous games, they were a massive problem with balance. A hero had a ridiculous op advantage over everyone else and they were not fun to fight. It's not fun to have to deal with a guy that much stronger than you.

Well it's carried over into this game and it's not going anywhere. I personally can't wait to play as Boba Fett. I think it would be FUN to play as him. And you know what if I run into someone that is using Vader I'll run the other way or die and respawn and continue playing the game.

It's literally the worst, most obvious method the system could be handled. It's speculation, and then freaking out over how dumb DICE is for potential being able to implement an awful system you thought of.

Ignoring that- Do you know how large a map that supports 32-40 players is? Large enough that being a dude with a laser sword isn't as fantastic as you'd think.

The characters in the old Battlefront games had too much health and speed. Snipers and vehicles will probably be more relevant in the DICE Battlefront as well, making hero characters less important.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
10 years.

CDMNwopUgAELBT0.png:large

dr_rus

Wow, thats ingame?

I don't get this. This model is nothing special for an in-game model for a game which is releasing in 2015. It's not even that impressive compared to some games released on PC during the previous five or so years. Where's the wow here?

so far what ive gathered is
- no single player
- only 40 players
- only 4 planets to have maps on
- no space battles
- at-at is not playable
- no ai controlled bots
- no galactic conquest
- and you cant bring down the fucking at-at with snow speeders, only a levolution style hold square/x event

yeah im gonna get right on putting my preorder down.

Space fights are no longer part of the game anymore? Somehow that bit flew over my head during Celebrations.

Is that true?

It is true. Here is a list of all true things we know that also suck a whole lot.

1. There is no single player campaign, just a few missions depicting moments from the original trilogy that can be played solo or cooperatively.

2. There is no galactic conquest mode.

3. The max player count is capped at 40 across all platforms. When asked whether bots would be featured DICE responded with "no comment".

4. There are no space battles or fighting in orbit, and air units will be confined to the area above ground maps like in the Battlefield franchise.

5. The game will launch with only 4 playable planets, though how many maps will be set on each is unclear.

6. Only units and characters from the Original Trilogy will be featured.

7. The AT-AT walkers shown in the trailer and promotional stills will not be player controlled, and will instead follow a scripted path across the battlefield.

- no single player
- only 40 players
- no space battles
- at-at is not playable
- no ai controlled bots
- no galactic conquest
- and you cant bring down the fucking at-at with snow speeders, only a levolution style hold square/x event

aah.. so it's just a BF4 re-skin.

- no single player
- only 40 players
- no space battles
- at-at is not playable
- no ai controlled bots
- no galactic conquest

Have they actually confirmed that Snow Speeders can't bring down AT-ATs? I thought the using of Y-Wings was just for specific levels/game modes, where speeders aren't really possible (like the forest of Endor).

The request for bots are damn huge. Why do they keep ignoring this?

DICE Knows Best™

slash3584

- no single player
- only 40 players
- no space battles
- at-at is not playable
- no ai controlled bots
- no galactic conquest

Really? that fucking sucks

Where did they confirm this?

xxl30001

Banned
I'm pretty sure we'll be able to take down AT-ATs with snow speeders on hoth. DICE want to make the game as true to the originals as possible, it has to be included. That quick time event is for Endor only surely.

UCBooties

- no single player
- only 40 players
- no space battles
- at-at is not playable
- no ai controlled bots
- no galactic conquest

Mmm, yeah. I think no Galactic Conquest Mode is a dealbreaker for me. :-(

I just don't play enough online multi-player to justify the purchase without some kind of campaign mode and Galactic Conquest was my favorite part of the old games.

slash3584

They didn't.

Assumptions out the ass. We only saw Endor and there weren't air speeders on Endor (not that it would work in the trees anyway).

That's what I thought.

We don't even know if that whole Y-Wing bombing scene will be a scripted thing, don't we?

Maybe there are pilotable Y-Wings on Endor.

Y-Wings blew up the AT-AT on Endor. Read one of the previews that said you walk up to a computer terminal and call in the Y-Wings. That might be the "event" theyre misconstruing. As for the AT-ST that was taken out with the jetpacking rocket guy.

It will probably be playable on the show floor and showcased at the Sony press event.

1) There is an offline missions mode that can be played in splitscreen or online co-op.

2) If the maps are made for 40 players why would it matter?

3) 5 planets including the FREE near - launch DLC. More than 2 maps on each planet.

4) Space wasn't in the first game, ships on the ground was.

5) AT-AT only confirmed to be on rails in Walker Assault mode.

6) Bots will be in Missions mode. Online bots is really stupid.

7) Galactic Conquest was Instant Action with a fancy interface.

8) There weren't air speeders on Endor.

It seems to me that DICE is catering this game towards people who've played the original games online. As someone who did and part of a community that hated Clone Wars, bots, vehicles, Space, and only had a max of 24 players (PlayStation 2) I am extremely excited for this game and so is everyone I know who played online with me.

DICE is being very transparent with this game. They aren't lying and saying "we'll see" when asked questions about this stuff, even if it is costing them sales. I respect that.

This is DICE's first Battlefront. They don't have a prequel to copy assets from to make half the game for them (Pandemic reused almost everything from SWBF1 to make SWBF2). They wanted to lay the groundwork and build a solid core experience. I expect we'll see a lot of other features come in the inevitable sequel.

I'm all for criticizing DICE's shitty decisions, but let's not pile on lies/assumptions. What we actually know, for a fact, is:

- No story campaign; instead, series of story missions (selected from the saga) will be playable online, offline, and co-op
- 8-40 players for all platforms
- 4 planets with over 8 maps total
- No space battles; all ship battles take place in the skies over land
- AT-AT can be "commanded" but not directly controlled
- No MP bots; only AI enemies in the story missions are available
- Galactic Conquest has not been confirmed
- In Walker Assault mode, AT-AT has to be brought down by calling in a Y Wing airstrike, before the AT-AT reaches the rebel base

Galactic conquest is out because what galaxy only has four fucking planets

"Limited Selection Star System Conquest" might still be in!

EDIT: Beaten.

What really upsets me, besides using over the shoulder instead of full body third person, is this blog focus on authenticity when it comes to battles. Yeah at first it sounds great, but then you realize there aren't that many battles that happen in this series (our at least shown/mentioned in the OT). Who cares if there was never a massive battle inside the Death Star? That was still great in Battlefront II. Same as fighting at Bespin or Dagobah, or even some fun locations from the prequels (Kamino!).

Plus if they're going for authenticity in battles, sure Vader and AT-AT's were technically on Endor, but when the battle begun Vader was on Death Star II and the AT-AT's were left defending the imperial base or whatever.

Top Bottom