• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

Effect

So, looks like we are in the clear then? Still wondering about what's on the box, though.

Nope. That statement just sounds like it might be possible to run some of the game out of the box. It could be just a damn tutorial of some kind to cover their ass so they could say the game is playable out of the box. Even that is iffy from the statement. It's not a denial of having to download the rest of the actual game or a confirmation that the full game is on the cart itself.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So.. what is "Internet Required" for then?

It doesn`t sound like they know what they`re talking about. I remember some of the Need for Speed guys said the same thing when people were upset about the always online. Some of them claimed it would work fine offline, but then backtracked.

Robin64

So what's the 13GB for? Does the cart come with DS quality textures or something, and the 13GB download replaces those? Maybe no FMVs?

It's highly unlikely that the FIFA we see on Switch will be anywhere near that large. It'll probably either be custom made or a heavily modified PS3/360 version of the game.

But yeah, this is shitty. Particularly shitty when Nintendo provided fuck all storage on board. That being said, I bought a 128gb card for launch as this was expected.

I'm sorry, but high capacity microSD cards from Samsung and Sandusky are regularly on sale for $16. This practice aside, most of you knew what the storage was for some time now, stop being stubborn, spend a few bucks and get an SD card. Complaining isn't going to fix it at this point.

Andyliini

Gold Member
*edit* just saw th eurogamer information, I hope that's ok then but if the box itself has the 13gb warning on the back.... who to believe.

Maybe the physical box features a game card and a download code for friend, so you can play co-op with a friend with another Switch? It won't, of course, have one. We'll just have to wait and see.

Malio

Hahaha fun times on the Switch already. Pre-ordered for $18 on cdkeys already. Have fun with your sd cards and outrage though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nope. That statement just sounds like it might be possible to run some of the game out of the box. Even that is iffy from the statement. It's not a denial of having to download the rest of the actual game or a confirmation that the full game is on the cart itself.

Strange, yes. I've seen people say the size listed on the eShop is the installed size of a game, so who knows if it's actually the full game or not. Hopefully they clarify further when if at all the download is needed. Maybe the 13GB download on the case was a misprint meant for a different game or something? Lol, wishful thinking. It does seem worded a bit strangely.

But if it's listed as 7GBs on the eShop, it does seem weird it'd be more than that (DLC content aside).

Robin64

Then it shouldn't be on the box. It's not clear cut and dry.

It's possibly means part of the game can be played off the cart but you will need to download the rest of the game still.

Which is weird because how do you control that with an open world game?

jonno394

Any way that the game forces a mandatory install from the cart on to the Switch (can a 13GB install be compressed to 8GB switch cart?) and the internet connection is required because it has to authenticate something like ensuring it isn't installed elsewhere?

Just checked things out on the eShop and now I really don't understand why people are freaking out. The eShop literally lists the download for the game as 7Gb, why would the cartridge magically need 20Gb?

This still doesn't answer the question of what that back-of-box message means, but I think it makes it pretty clear that the game itself is 7Gb.

Robin64

For reference, the Xbox One version is listed as 17.87 GB download size.

But it could also have better textures, so who knows if this is relevent or not!

Minsc

Gold Member
Any way that the game forces a mandatory install from the cart on to the Switch (can a 13GB install be compressed to 8GB switch cart?) and the internet connection is required because it has to authenticate something like ensuring it isn't installed elsewhere?

If it was a 13GB install it probably wouldn't be listed as 7GB on the eShop. Those sizes are the size of the installed game afaik.

You can at least boot up the menu guys, everything's ok

This might be the case. Maybe you can play for a little bit like a demo...

Just checked things out on the eShop and now I really don't understand why people are freaking out. The eShop literally lists the download for the game as 7Gb, why would the cartridge magically need 20Gb?

This still doesn't answer the question of what that back-of-box message means, but I think it makes it pretty clear that the game itself is 7Gb.

But why is Internet required?

TS-08

That PR statement just sounds like it's confirming you can buy the game physical at retail. Like maybe there was some confusion as to what they were answering. It doesn't necessarily mean you won't have to download data to play it. Hopefully that's not the case though.

Edit - actually I read that wrong, but the statement isn't that clear to me.

It's possible but most unlikely that the eshop listed size is the content on the cart, with that 13 GB extra being some weird bolt-on once you launch the game while connected to the internet.

That would be so stupid... but this is WB published.

Irminsul

If it was a 13GB install it probably wouldn't be listed as 7GB on the eShop. Those sizes are the size of the installed game afaik.
Yeah, at least Snake Pass is listed as 3.7 GB, which seems to be the same as the 3.67 GB install size on Steam (in contrast to its ~1.7 GB(?) download).

That PR statement just sounds like it's confirming you can buy the game physical at retail. Like maybe there was some confusion as to what they were answering. It doesn't necessarily mean you won't have to download data to play it. Hopefully that's not the case though.

I can't say I got that vibe tbh. Still doesn't explain the box though. Going to need clarification before jumping to any conclusion.

The Wii U version was over 20 gigs. I'll be shocked if this game only requires 7 gigs of space.

Glad they clarified you can play the game without downloading anything but I'm still curious how they fit the game into 13GB. What a shitstorm that would be.

The Wii U version was over 20 gigs. I'll be shocked if this game only requires 7 gigs of space.

Why would the eshop list it as 7GB if there is more required? And apparently the XB1 version requires 17.87GB.

This is all incredibly confusing, let's just hope it's not the situation we thought it was when this news came out.

Very much this

either we can start it and play a little while it downloads....Or play it fully without the big download
but then why is the switch version so small compared to the console?

Maybe the devs did extra compression to get it to fit on an 8GB card?

But why is Internet required?

Not a clue what that message means in this situation. I also can't think of any other games that have that message to give more context to this situation. Looking around, even games like Overwatch and FFXIV don't seem to have that on the front of the box.

Is it more believable that the current eshop listing is wrong? As others have noted, even the Xbox One version comes in at under 20Gb (17Gb in this case).

Wow I hope that's actually true and not some PR guy trying to get off on a technicality.

Actually, I won't bullshit, I do hope that's what it is because the backlash would be so entertaining.

And it does seem like you have to download 2/3 of the game if the damn thing was 18-20GB on Xbox/Wii U.

We'll see I guess.

Ridley327

Which is weird because how do you control that with an open world game?

If I had to guess, the entire open world is on there, but there are still the normal segmented levels to play through, as in a typical LEGO game. It may be one of those situations where you can do all the normal activities but, for the sake of argument, can only get through the first third of the story missions with what's available on the game card. Assuming that it doesn't really require an internet connection and with any consideration for normal customers, you'll get a warning when you reach the last possible story mission available that you'll need to download the rest.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Glad they clarified you can play the game without downloading anything but I'm still curious how they fit the game into 13GB. What a shitstorm that would be.

They didn`t. Once they know what Eurogamer is really asking about, you might get a different answer.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Why would the eshop list it as 7GB if there is more required? And apparently the XB1 version requires 17.87GB.

This is all incredibly confusing, let's just hope it's not the situation we thought it was when this news came out.

Maybe the devs did extra compression to get it to fit on an 8GB card?

True, but how can the game be 7 GB if it`s way bigger on other platforms?

Brofield

Still have my fingers crossed it's a typo and it's really 1.3GB.

I was looking forward to this as I completely missed it on Wii U, but if this is the case I can wait longer to pick up used. I don't want to punish the developers, but I need to cut with my wallet if WB needs to know that this bullshit isn't acceptable.

Top Bottom