• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk Xbox 720: Xbox World shares everything it knows about the next console

amar212

This is one of the dumbest articles I've read about anything.

Doesn't tell us anything new.

Makes up some BS about what it can do.

All the while there was a leaked document that went into detail and this article doesn't mention any of it.

IKNOS, YOU ARE ALIVE!!

Mrbob

The only new thing I learned from this article is Xbox world thinks rare is an elite developer. Will be nice when we truly get some new info.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
This is just utter nonsense. MS aren't going to dominate the next-gen. They will share it with Nintendo & Sony irrespective of what hardware it comes out with. MS have barely differentiated themselves producing the same three first party games every year - halo, forza and gears. What they need to do is focus on building a entertainment console for everyone, not just for a hardcore audience or kinect only party games. Also stop MS should stop charging for online play and youtube services.

And suddenly drop what, 60-70% of their profits from the xbox division? Dream on pal.

itsgreen

I bought this issue last month for this article... it's a stupid article, just more speculation... not the leaks I hoped for...

Is the OP one of the guys in the other threads thinking next-gen xbox will immediately match maxed out top-tier PC games such as Crysis 3? Seems familiar. If so, this thread is hilarious. If not, then my mistake!

But yeah, I remember reading this stuff before and if it turns out to be (logically-defying) somehow true, I will be ecstatic. Some of the stuff sounds pretty great. It's the DD aspect I hope microsoft manages to not blow it on.

It most probably will, if not surpass them. It will definitely surpass them later in the generation (unless Microsoft pulls a Wii U, and everything is indicating that they won't), but of course, by that point PC tech will advance even further.

Later in their span, with a huge maybe. But with lower res textures, AA, lower IQ, <1080p. So is that really surpassing PC(especially which will be simultaneously optimized and improved)? But I digress. Not to derail, just making an observation. As someone else said, this sounds like an xbox diehard fan's wet dream. But if it's true, then it's great news for everyone, PC/console alike. Technology always impresses me.

Is the OP one of the guys in the other threads thinking next-gen xbox will immediately match maxed out top-tier PC games such as Crysis 3?

It most probably will, if not surpass them. It will definitely surpass them later in the generation (unless Microsoft pulls a Wii U, and everything is indicating that they won't), but of course, by that point PC tech will advance even further.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A lot of that makes me wet, but no mention of removing subs for XBL Gold in favour of a different business model, and them planning for the next controller to be radically different from the best controller ever made is a huge worry.

Also cheaper patching costs sounds good, but they should be as close to negligible as possible or even non-existent IMO.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
A lot of that makes me wet, but no mention of removing subs for XBL Gold in favour of a different business model, and them planning for the next controller to be radically different from the best controller ever made is a huge worry.

Also cheaper patching costs sounds good, but they should be as close to negligible as possible or even non-existent IMO.

It wont be that different from the 360 controller.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just calling it 'Xbox' seems like a boneheaded move to me... regardless of whether the idea is really kicking around at Microsoft or just dumb speculation.

Only Apple can pull it off .... and they probably didn't really pull it off, really. I'm sure at least one person out there was confused about which of the iPads was new, and that means at least one person for whom the marketing failed.

And will calling it just "iPad" or "Xbox" earn even one sale? No.

So why ever do it? Seems like a name picked by someone with no marketing interest...

Oh dear God, not the "magic hardware optimization" myth again.

There's nothing magic about it, and it's not a myth.

But perhaps I should clarify - of course PC will always be able to pull ahead in terms of IQ and performance, there's practically no upper limit to that with open hardware. But in terms of visual fidelity minus IQ and performance, I expect the upcoming consoles to be able to hold its own against the next year's PC bleeding edge. Compared to the majority (50+%) of PC configurations used for gaming out there, I expect the upcoming consoles to match and even surpass them in terms of general visual fidelity, but also in terms of IQ and performance.

Is the OP one of the guys in the other threads thinking next-gen xbox will immediately match maxed out top-tier PC games such as Crysis 3? Seems familiar. If so, this thread is hilarious. If not, then my mistake!

Err no?

But yeah, I remember reading this stuff before and if it turns out to be (logically-defying) somehow true, I will be ecstatic. Some of the stuff sounds pretty great. It's the DD aspect I hope microsoft manages to not blow it on.

What's so logic defying in the article?

There's nothing magic about it, and it's not a myth.

It's too soon to estimate on the power of next-gen consoles compared to PC, we'll see when more info surfaces. The myth I'm referring to is the (apparently widespread) belief that any given console graphics chip can achieve 2x the performance of the equivalent PC one due to optimizations and coding to the metal. While it's true that said chip will perform better, the difference is nowhere near as massive in the real world as people seem to think.

This has been demonstrated many times through videos showing an X1950 Pro graphics card (roughly at the same level of power as the 360 GPU) being able to play modern games at console-level quality when paired with a decent processor.

It's too soon to estimate on the power of next-gen consoles compared to PC, we'll see when more info surfaces.

Sure, I'm just stating my expectations, they may be proven wrong.

The myth I'm referring to is the (apparently widespread) belief that any given console graphics chip can achieve 2x the performance of the equivalent PC one due to optimizations and coding to the metal. While it's true that said chip will perform better, the difference is nowhere near as massive in the real world as people seem to think.

This has been demonstrated many times through videos showing an X1950 Pro graphics card (roughly at the same level of power as the 360 GPU) being able to play modern games at console-level quality when paired with a decent processor.

In theory, roughly equal hardware should produce roughly equal results, whether it's used in a console or in a PC. In practice, it's more than just the CPU and the GPU, it's also about the overall architecture, bus bandwidth, OS overhead and so on, and when it comes to those things, consoles tend to be in a somewhat better position overall.

But even ignoring that, in real life you will rarely see the same amount of optimization put in PC games as in their console counterparts, especially when we're talking exclusives with multiple iterations on the same hardware. Developers themselves often state as much, it's a matter of iterating and finding more economic solutions, and on PC you just don't have as much incentive to do that, although in theory you could.

In theory, roughly equal hardware should produce roughly equal results, whether it's used in a console or in a PC. In practice, it's more than just the CPU and the GPU, it's also about the overall architecture, bus bandwidth, OS overhead and so on, and when it comes to those things, consoles tend to be in a somewhat better position overall.

I agree. My disagreement is whith those people who expect, say, a GT640 to perform like a GTX680 when used in a console.

iceatcs

I'm worrying about 3d sound. I hope it will be optional. I hate when you totally cannot do it when it require to do this feature for complete mission.
In case if you are wondering, I'm profoundly deaf.

I always suspect MS will have highest RAM but it won't be use all of them for one thing. They will be lot of reserve footprint for multitask features.

DocSeuss

ATT, my ISP, currently has me stuck on a 150GB bandwidth cap with 3MB internet. My family gets close to that 150GB every month, and we often have to "ration" stuff near the end. I myself have to download my Steam games elsewhere.

Cox/Comcast, last I knew, had a 250GB bandwidth cap.

I don't really see 50GB games catching on when much of the US is stuck with caps like these. Hell, the average internet speed is still 5.8 MB/s, and that's brought up mostly by cable/fiber guys on the coasts, with their crazy-ass 20MB and higher plans. Most of us are quite a bit lower than that.

This is going to sound weird, but sometimes, I think these people are basing decisions on the technology that is available to them locally. "Oh, hey, I can get really awesome Verizon fiber internet with no cap! Surely everyone has internet like this! Let's move forward with some crazy bandwidth-eating tech now!"

I'd really like an ISP that doesn't have a cap at a far more reasonable speed.

This is just utter nonsense. MS aren't going to dominate the next-gen. They will share it with Nintendo & Sony irrespective of what hardware it comes out with. MS have barely differentiated themselves producing the same three first party games every year - halo, forza and gears. What they need to do is focus on building a entertainment console for everyone, not just for a hardcore audience or kinect only party games. Also stop MS should stop charging for online play and youtube services.

It'd be nice if people realized that Microsoft was in a bad place in 2008/2009 and chose to shutter multiple devs (ACES/Ensemble/FASA) and cancel AAA projects and shift focus to Kinect/Arcade, and that once they got out of that place, they started focusing on more games and have been hiring bunches of people at different studios for work on AAA games. Even Rare's getting back into things.

Microsoft won this generation because they sold the most of the HD consoles and had the highest attach rate of any seventh gen consoles. They're poised to win the next because they didn't start too early like the Wii U, nor did they make any of its steps. And, unlike Sony, they tend to put out exclusives of extremely high quality that generally outsell Sony exclusives with relative ease. They've got some areas they need to work on, but they are at least in position to render everyone else irrelevant next gen. Nintendo's pretty much a non-starter, given the Wii U's tremendous teething issues.

Aaron

It's a nice wishlist, but I expect very little of it will apply to the actual console. It's cost prohibitive, and MS isn't going to go in with a $500-600 price tag, especially with the Wii U not doing so hot at $300.

It's a nice wishlist, but I expect very little of it will apply to the actual console. It's cost prohibitive, and MS isn't going to go in with a $500-600 price tag, especially with the Wii U not doing so hot at $300.
There are a number of reasons why the wiiu is performing like it is and cost isn't one of them.

And IPad 5. Not kidding. XBOX is MS´s attemp of entering the living room, Apple surpassed them with the IPad by far.

I don't think that many people see iPad as a living room entertainment center, although it's certainly managed to become an entertainment go-to place for certain types of consumers (younger single people, for instance, not so much for families), taking away from traditional living room devices.

MS have barely differentiated themselves producing the same three first party games every year - halo, forza and gears.
The only differentiation business understands is sales, not "let's just talk about first party retail games because when ppl go into gamestop they go to the imaginary 1st party section". When your software sales start doubling the competition regardless of 3rd party or 1st, the gap is not because whether a title is 2nd party, 3rd party or who published it.

Oersted

I don't think that many people see iPad as a living room entertainment center, although it's certainly managed to become an entertainment go-to place for certain types of consumers (younger single people, for instance, not so much for families), taking away from traditional living room devices.

Not a living room entertainment center but a entertainment go-to place? Just me being stupid or is there no difference?

saunderez

Not a living room entertainment center but a entertainment go-to place? Just me being stupid or is there no difference?
I know I'd rather watch movies and play games on my 42" LCD over a 10" tablet and the same applies to pretty much everything but surfing the net. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

A living room entertainment center is something multiple people can enjoy at once, it's good for parties, family gatherings and so on. iPad can't really fill that role, but for single people or even less demanding couples it can serve as a sufficient substitute, reducing the need for a traditional entertainment center.

Globox_82

Banned
Old+Fossil.jpg

yeah, old

pottuvoi

Banned
I wouldn't call it light years. Starting next year, DX11 is going to be 4 years old. The previous DirectX lasted 3 years (even shorter if you ignore DX10.1) and before that it was 4 years with DirectX 9.

Although I agree we'll see more updates to the DX11 family.
It was confirmed that nvidias 'DX12' part was 'delayed' to first half of 2014, AMD might have their part ready earlier. (late 2013?)

Shader Model 6 and what ever it brings with it will come 2014 latest. (At least Shader Model 6 and Compute Shader 6 profiles. If it's named DX12 remains to be seen.)

Eideka

Banned
There is no doubt in my mind that the next-gen consoles are going to set a new graphical standard as soon as they launch. I expect them to truly outclass everything running on PC in 2013 including Crysis 3.
It's par for the course when a new generation starts, even the top end PCs can't rival a 450$ box (sold at a loss though) because the R&D is being done on those machine, for multiplats titles the PC will come out on top (even if it will most likely require a beast of a PC to max them out) but exclusives will truly be in a league of their own. It's not the fault of the PC....The hardware is there but not the money. I'm ready to jump in as soon as a quality exclusive shows up (Gears of War with UE4 yeah).

Yes, I think this will happen at launch. I may be a little too optimistic but I will stand by my conviction, Star Wars 1313 and Watch Dogs are only the tip of the iceberg in terms of what we should expect from next-generation graphics.

Coolwhip

Banned
The services of Microsoft for music etc? Windows 8? People haven't really shown much interest in those things so far.

Microsoft's 'Durango' development kits are already in developers' hands, and the CPU at the heart of the machine is a monster. Where 360 has a three-core CPU from 2005, Durango promises four hardware cores, each divided into four logical cores - a spec greater than anything even the most hardcore PC gamer has on his desktop.
4 Cores with Hyperthreading..... dat space age technology....

Top Bottom