• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lichtspeer devs: Nintendo working on Switch achievement system

Most fans arguing that achievements are dumb probably never ventured past Nintendo games.

I'd say achievements and trophies are just optional things to do. They can be incentives, but I don't obsess over them. I never obsessed over achievements when I had a 360 or the very little I've played on Steam and I don't get hooked over trophies when playing on my Sony systems.

Fanuilos

Waste of time doing this when they could be focusing on VC, Online, etc.

I'm not crazy about it, but them working on an achievement system doesn't meant it's at the exclusion of those things. If anything they may be preparing a big 2018 system update with a bunch of the things people want.

Good. It's way past time.

Personally, I don't find achievements a necessity by any means...but I have found that they can often help me stay focused on gaming when I might otherwise feel "paralyzed by choice" (and be tempted to, say, be lazy and switch to Netflix). Cheevos may not be for everyone, but I have a hunch I'm not alone in this sentiment... Especially on GAF where so many of us have such massive backlogs it can be overwhelming (as ridiculous as this sounds - it's the height of "1st world problems" - it's a true phenomenon). So, yeah, for me Achievements are often just that little extra motivator. In an ideal world, great games would be their own motivator...but for those of us with 500-1000 games to choose from it can be a little bit complicated. Lol

Joqu

Achievements are fun. I would've loved to clear them all in Breath of the Wild, they could come up with some really inventive stuff in a game like that.

....I suppose I did considering there weren't any.

-Horizon-

It doesn't affect me if they're included or not. Trophies are nice if only to help point out if you missed something but then I'd usually just use a walkthrough online.

Kouriozan

There was times where I played games only for the Platinum and feel like I didn't enjoy them the way I wanted, nowaday I really don't care about achievements even though I still 100% most of my games because I only buy ones I really like.

I stopped caring about getting all the trophies/achievements a long time ago, but I am excited about Switch getting achievements because 1) I know many people love them, and 2) it helps me get a better idea of what my friends have completed games-wise (like if we both have beaten a boss or something).

Pokemaniac

Retro-Achievements would be amazing, and would have me gobbling up VC titles like no tomorrow. It's maybe the one thing that could force me to admit the wait for Switch VC has been worth it.

It's also a massive waste of dev resources that would slow down the VC release schedule. Y'know, that thing people already complain is too slow?

Gluka

Hopefully this pans out and is implemented in a rational way. I can't believe such a basic feature wasn't there on day one.

Oh mannnnn this would be the best thing ever. I don't care about achievements 95% of the time, but it feels so good to platinum your favorite games. The only 100% I've ever gotten are Hotline Miami and Banjo Kazooie I think.

But as I've been playing through Mario + Rabbids it just seems like a perfect fit. And so many other Nintendo games for that matter

Richie

If they retroactively add 'em to older titles, it should be possible for the stuff you already did to be recognized merely by starting up the games, no? So a PS3 scenario could be avoided? (If it's true that you had to do everything again there)

Sealtest

I love Nintendo always have, but the achievement and trophy system has always interested me which is why I always bought third party games for xbox or playstation. If they actually do introduce some sort of achievement system I'll be buying strictly Nintendo.

Zzoram

They better give you credit for achievements already done by scanning your save files. Don't want to have to replay games to get super time consuming achievements.

Why didn't they have them to start with?

The Wii U even had a potentially great Achievement system right there: Miiverse Stamps tied to Achievements. But only a handful of games handled them that way, and limiting the stamps to the game they came from was unfortunate.

EdgeXL

I still think achievements and trophies are really silly - except when global achievements are available and we can get an idea of how far most people get in a game. I had sort of hoped Nintendo wouldn't resort to achievements so we could have one console that was simply about playing games for the fun of it. That said, it wouldn't offend me if Nintendo implemented trophies. I would simply do my best to ignore them or opt out if that choice was available.

Quonny

Nice for those who want them

Doesn't have an effect on those who could care less

caring.png

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I don't really like them, but I sense that more people like them than don't. I'm fine with just putting up with them and being in the minority (as I do on PS4), since they don't bother me too much.

I won't be too surprised if they get added; MyNintendo's implementation on mobile always seemed to point to this being a thing on Switch. I'm actually pretty surprised that it wasn't there at launch, but given how the OS and online experience still seem to be growing their feature set, I suppose I shouldn't be. This launching with the next big update (early 2018 with the paid online/VC games?) would make sense to me.

If Nintendo can give me Platinum coins to redeem for discounts, then these achievements might be worth it. I'd also really like for Nintendo to let me unlock little digital figurines, stickers, themes, etc. based on the games, kind of taking a page from Smash's trophy gallery mode.

nickgia

Ok? Don't really care about achievements / trophies. If they were going to include it, it should've been at launch.

ghibli99

Cool -- it's become standard across all other ecosystems (even GOG), so it's actually a bit strange that Nintendo still doesn't do it. They aren't a make or break feature for me, but hey, I'll take it. Would be even nicer if they tied actual redeemable rewards to said achievements.

RomanceDawn

This is cool for the people that love and want it but I don't really care. At least not now I don't. Leader boards have always been my thing. If the majority of it is me getting some gold Fire Flower Trophy because I killed 1000 Bokoblins then I really could not care less.

Dinjoralo

Huh, neat. I'll just ignore them, though. Though I am wondering, will games like Breath of The Wild have them added retroactively?

Top Bottom