• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lichtspeer devs: Nintendo working on Switch achievement system

I actively dislike achievements so this is not really a win for me. But whatever. Hurry up and work on getting media apps, a web browser and a 1080p operating system for when the system is docked.

KtSlime

Was that due to laziness, or technical impossibility?

I don't know why it wouldn't be feasible for this theoretical achievement system to scan the progress you've made in any given game to retroactively apply them. Wouldn't it be relatively easy for Nintendo to develop a program that, for example, can tell how many shrines you've completed in Breath of the Wild?

It would be pretty ridiculous if these huge meaty games in year one (Zelda/Rabbids/MK/Splatoon/Odyssey/Xenoblade) all had to be replayed to accrue any system-wide achievements. In fact, I'd say that's unacceptable.

Unfortunately Nintendo gets away with unacceptable shit on a monthly basis, so it's not like I should assume the best.

While not impossible, I don't think you understand what it would entail to write such a piece of software, and to do it for a bunch of different games would be, simply put, an incredible waste of resources. The most likely avenue is to patch the games, which it would be up to the developer on how to implement it and if it can retroactively add achievements or needs the player to replay the game - which is entirely dependent on how the developer wrote the software.

While not impossible, I don't think you understand what it would entail to write such a piece of software, and to do it for a bunch of different games would be, simply put, an incredible waste of resources. The most likely avenue is to patch the games, which it would be up to the developer on how to implement it and if it can retroactively add achievements or needs the player to replay the game - which is entirely dependent on how the developer wrote the software.

It would definitely be impossible for certain kinds of achievements if the save data did not actively record the relevant information. "Finish the game" style achievements would be easy to backdate for most titles, but "kill 3 dudes with a barrel in one go" type achievements would only be possible to backdate if the game was specifically looking out for them in the old version and recording the occurrence in the save data.

snap

Banned
would've been relevant a few years ago, now we're at the point where people either really, really care about achievements or don't care at all (and most fall in the latter camp)

Cindro

I'm not saying it wouldn't require resources. It just seems perfectly doable if Nintendo actually decided to fully-support a feature they implement for once, instead of being perpetual half-assers.

Keeping with BotW as an example, surely it couldn't be that taxing to scan the statistics tracked on the loading screen. Those statistics are already being tracked in-game (obviously), so how hard would it be to scan for the specific lines of code that trigger each numerical increase in said statistics? They already know which lines of code correlate with the number of shrines/korok seeds/divine beasts/etc.

Third-party games may be trickier, but they should at least retrofit all first party titles. I'd rather them not implement a system like this at all than take the comically undersupported Wii Speak/Wii Ware/DSi Ware/Gamepad/a dozen other examples I'm too lazy to list out approach.

KtSlime

It would definitely be impossible for certain kinds of achievements if the save data did not actively record the relevant information. "Finish the game" style achievements would be easy to backdate for most titles, but "kill 3 dudes with a barrel in one go" type achievements would only be possible to backdate if the game was specifically looking out for them in the old version and recording the occurrence in the save data.

Yes, that is definitely true. I'm sure a number of games however already have hooks for things like that if they are cross platform. Games that do not, will have to not make those kind of achievements, make the player replay, or simply not implement any sort of achievement rewards.

Cindro

Yes - I can understand if the achievements for earlier titles are less sophisticated. But that would still be far, far preferable than "replay a hundred hours of Zelda"

trixx

I actively dislike achievements so this is not really a win for me. But whatever. Hurry up and work on getting media apps, a web browser and a 1080p operating system for when the system is docked.
Yeah there loads of things that I want. Don't really care for achievements even on my other consoles and PC but I'm not opposed to them either. So long as I can disable notification we're good

I'd rather have Miiverse back

Meesh

Of all the things to "leak" that they're working on... it's achievements. Not too pumped when what we're really starved for is
that elusive VC and online community of some kind?
...the achievements are just something I don't really care for, unless it's tied to those other things.

Cindro

Of all the things to "leak" that they're working on... it's achievements. Not too pumped when what we're really starved for is
that elusive VC and online community of some kind?
...the achievements are just something I don't really care for, unless it's tied to those other things.
I don't think the developer intended to leak it - judging by the conversation, it seems like an honest mistake (one that I'm grateful for!) But I'm sure Nintendo is going to be absolutely furious if this is actually true.

Point is, this developer likely knows nothing about VC or expanded online community plans. But I'm with you in that the lack of Switch VC has been heartbreaking so far.

I'm not sure that what was quoted actually means that Nintendo is working on an achievement system. The developer did mention achievements and leaderboards in the same sentence - regarding what Nintendo was working on.

I can definitely see them doing official leaderboards support, especially when it comes time for the online-enabled Virtual Console games to release.

Well one, I don't care if Achievements are added to Nintendo Switch games. I'm more surprised this wasn't day one when the Switch was officially released.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
How about Nintendo work on a decent online system first.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Good achievements do more than simply log progress. A good achievement system invites the player to explore mechanics in ways they maybe didn't even know about, or it can punctuate a moment to make its effect even greater. Plus it would be damn nice to have a mark on my profile that said "yes I did every single shrine in BOTW"

I don't really care, but I really hope they do something interesting with the concept rather than make it just a checklist. This is one 'standard online feature' I'd honestly be interested in seeing how they "take the Nintendo approach" to.

- Connected to some cosmetic shit I can get for Miis or system themes? Awesome (even though I know they'd rather charge for these).

- Literaly just a fucking text box that pops up to say "you did thing?" Please allow me to turn them off.

I always say that I don't care about achievements, but damn it! I love it when that little notification pops up. Especially if it's one of those fancy rare xbox ones. So I'm on board for this!

Poona

So, how do you guys feel about this? Yay or nay regarding system-wide Switch achievements? Is there anything you want Nintendo to bring to the table that Microsoft or Sony don't already?

Huzzah! Awesome!

Really hoping they can get them in there soon so they're available when I probably get a Switch for Super Mario Odyssey. I knew not to give up on them as Sony didn't have them on launch of the PS3 but were made available later on, and I just hoped Nintendo could get something in there like that.

I wonder what Nintendo's name for them will be? Stars? Stamps? Stickers? Hmmm... Just really hoping they have dates added as to when you obtained them at least.

In either case it's going to be great to see Nintendo's spin on their system wide achievement/trophy system. If they were there on launch I would have probably got a Switch then.

I really want someone to implement achievements tied to some actual reward. For example, achievements that unlock squares to a picture (like Streetpass Mii Plaza or the wall of achievements in Kid Icarus: Uprising), or achievements that unlock pictures or 3D models or something.

But it is pretty cool to see that Nintendo is going to implement them.

Ploid 3.0

People are still into those empty reward achievement/trophies huh?

I really want someone to implement achievements tied to some actual reward. For example, achievements that unlock squares to a picture (like Streetpass Mii Plaza or the wall of achievements in Kid Icarus: Uprising), or achievements that unlock pictures or 3D models or something.

But it is pretty cool to see that Nintendo is going to implement them.

Insomniac Games had a skill point system that rewarded you for doing achievement like challenges. They were in their PS2 Ratchet and Clank games, and Resistance games. I'm sure more devs made systems the rewarded you for doing stuff like Insomniac but Trophies, and Achievments (+steam) not requiring any in-game reward just allows game devs to slap some list together because they have too.

Like everything related to online play, Nintendo is several years late but I'll take it. I like having a public record of my accomplishments and well designed achievements can add a lot to a game.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm not opposed to them working on achievements, but there are other features that I should hope would be prioritized before something as trivial as achievements. We need the ability to back up/transfer saves (either through the cloud or another solution like PC backup), a proper activity log, and virtual console much more than we need achievements.

Phoenixus

I don't mind with or without, but I'm curious to see the Nintendo spin on the idea. I highly doubt they'd just copy the Trophies or Achievements systems and call it a day.

BTA

I really like trophies if they're reasonably interesting/challenging but not ridiculous things ("play again but on hard" etc. suck), so if the Switch gets achievements that'll likely push me to getting more multiplatform eShop games there over PS4/Vita.

People still thumb their nose at those who do like achievements/trophies
VjHmYYC.png

Insomniac Games had a skill point system that rewarded you for doing achievement like challenges. They were in their PS2 Ratchet and Clank games, and Resistance games. I'm sure more devs made systems the rewarded you for doing stuff like Insomniac but Trophies, and Achievments (+steam) not requiring any in-game reward just allows game devs to slap some list together because they have too.
People still make these posts like they're in a superior plane of existence?

Thoraxes

Working on it doesn't necessarily mean it'll see the light of day.

But given their push into using twitter/facebook, I sure would love a way to share my feats in an official way with my friends and community.

coughlanio

I think Jeff nailed it on the Bombcast, they don't need to go too deep, just acknowledgement that you've 100% a game, like a trophy in your profile.

Replaying classic games for the billionth time but with achievements might be neat. Hope they slap em onto VC games, especially since it gives me more of a reason to play them rather than just... re-accumulate them.

I wish they'd do the old Xbox 360 Avatar Award thing for the achievements. That was cool.

MoonFrog

Hmmm...I'm glad Zelda didn't have them. It is the sort of game I would actually feel desire to get a complete record on but I know I wouldn't want to and ultimately wouldn't get all the koroks so there'd be tension there.

Servbot24

Banned
Working on it doesn't mean doing it unfortunately. Nintendo work on hundreds of things that don't make it to the final product. I hope this one comes to fruition though.

Top Bottom