• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lichtspeer devs: Nintendo working on Switch achievement system

Figments

Nintendo should make their achievement system something akin to stickers, where you can place up to 5 or so on your public profile from the various games you played and have it be like "These are my favorites". Stickers can be designed like actual stickers, too, not just achievement art.

CEJames

triumph-baby_fb_453988.jpg

jrDev

If it gives MyNintendo Coins, it's the only reason it would be worth it...

Ex:
Beat Level 1, get 100 MyNintendo Silver Coins.
Beat Level 1 in 5 mins, get 100 MyNintendo Gold Coins.
Beat game with dying, get 1 MyNintendo Platinum coins.

This would be absolutely AMAZING, but I'd be worried about how they'd retroactively apply them. I don't want my accomplishments in first-year Switch games to not be recorded on something like this.

Still, I'll remain cautiously optimistic!
Maybe they're going to patch games like Sony did on PS3. Would be awesome.

steveovig

If it gives MyNintendo Coins, it's the only reason it would be worth it...

Ex:
Beat Level 1, get 100 MyNintendo Silver Coins.
Beat Level 1 in 5 mins, get 100 MyNintendo Gold Coins.
Beat game with dying, get 1 MyNintendo Platinum coins.

We still wouldn't have anything to spend them on lol

I've never really cared about achievement/trophy hunting on other systems (a little bit on LBP back on PS3) but I feel like I'd be really into Nintendo's. I've put 150+ hours into BotW but I'd probably play it all over again if I had to to unlock the achievements. I have no idea why it being Nintendo makes me more excited for it, I have a lot of Nintendo-esque games on the other two systems and I don't really care about them there.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, neat. I'll just ignore them, though. Though I am wondering, will games like Breath of The Wild have them added retroactively?

If this launched in early 2018, my hope would be that Nintendo would patch all of their internally developed major releases so far to support this. Zelda, Mario Kart, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 isn't tooooo long of a list, and ARMS and Splatoon 2
(and maybe Mario Odyssey, we'll see)
will likely still be getting DLC around that time anyway. Maybe throw in 1-2-Switch, Fire Emblem Warriors, Pokkén Tournament, and even Mario + Rabbids just to be complete.

The later into 2018 this functionality gets implemented, though, the less likely this seems like it would happen.

Anticol

Banned
Great, they are catching up super fast, they only needed 10+ years to add this imagine the possibilities going forward.

If they add this before they come out with basic apps like a web browser, Netflix or YouTube I will be totally baffled. Not against it, but come on Nintendo.

MartyStu

Waste of time doing this when they could be focusing on VC, Online, etc.

I do not particularly care for Achievements, but Nintendo CAN do multiple things at once you know.

Besides, if they want to do this at all, sooner is better than later, so it is important to get it out as soon as possible.

correojon

I wish N didn't add anything resembling an achievement system. I hope they remain an example where gameplay leads the experience, instead of providing an easy way out for devs who will just include stuff such as "complete the prologue".

kunonabi

Id much rather have a proper activity log and Miiverse with system wide stamps but oh well. Nintendo had pretty decent achievement design in thier early wii u games but the later games were bloody terrible about it so any possible interest i might have is pretty much gone.

hawk2025

Fantastic.

Integrate them into a 3DS-like gamelog system, make them uniquely Nintendo, and even the people that pretended not to care for about a decade will love it.

Dremorak

Banned
I have no care at all for this but some people seem to so i guess its good news. I hope they prioritise folders and an eshop redesign first tho, as its quickly becoming hard to keep track of all these releases, on the eshop and the home menu

An achievement system and a virtual console are the only two things I'm personally missing on the Switch. If they add those, it may end up being my favorite console.

Achievements aren't required but I love them not only as bragging tools but also as a historical record of the games I've played to death. It's fun looking back at the games I've platinumed and comparing my accomplishments to friends as well as seeing my % compared to the rest of the players.

Finally, I love having an extra set of goals on top of the main storyline. Some games end too soon and I want to stay in the world longer, so I go for achievements.

jholmes

Holy shit Nintendo, are you going to do anything different anymore? I guess not having a Netflix app is their point of differentiation now.

Probably be Stamps as someone once suggested. It sounded Nintendoesque.

This made sense for Miiverse. I don't see the point otherwise.

With a bunch of last-gen ports, online by subscription and $100 controllers. Glad to see they're cribbing from the worst parts of the Sony and Microsoft playbooks.

Nintendo was among the first publishers to adopt the concept of the cross-gen game with Twilight Princess almost eleven years ago.

jholmes

Nintendo was one of the pioneers the concept of the cross-gen game with Twilight Princess almost eleven years ago.

On the GameCube, which was so interested in being a PS2 that it has a handle attached to it, and the Wii, which was the antithesis of what the Xbox 360 was doing.

I guess you're trying to argue that Nintendo hasn't completely abandoned their philosophy on hardware with the Switch, which is pointless because they have.

Cindro

Probably the same way Sony handled trophies when they came to PS3 over a year after that system launched.
Gotta' do everything again if you want the achivements
Was that due to laziness, or technical impossibility?

I don't know why it wouldn't be feasible for this theoretical achievement system to scan the progress you've made in any given game to retroactively apply them. Wouldn't it be relatively easy for Nintendo to develop a program that, for example, can tell how many shrines you've completed in Breath of the Wild?

It would be pretty ridiculous if these huge meaty games in year one (Zelda/Rabbids/MK/Splatoon/Odyssey/Xenoblade) all had to be replayed to accrue any system-wide achievements. In fact, I'd say that's unacceptable.

Unfortunately Nintendo gets away with unacceptable shit on a monthly basis, so it's not like I should assume the best.

Top Bottom