• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Living with my crush/best friend for the next 2 weeks

Slaythe

This thread is still going? I thought GAF addressed this days ago.

Surely you meant years ?

Somebody page Mandrake.

You can watch Anime with a friend too, I don't get it. I was answering mainly to the guy claiming Anime will lower his chances of having sex.

If a girl isn't into you, and you try to... seduce her over the course of watching anime, I'd say your chances are divided by 3 instantly.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Sorry for the lack of updates guys (been busy with work and don't get much chance at home) but the replies so far have been funny so keep them coming haha. Yes I know I've probably played myself for 4 years now and yes it's the same girl. And also she's not new to anime!! Anime is not as unpopular as you all think. She's watched FMA, Naruto, Fairy Tale, etc. in the past with her brother so I recommended this one to them. So far they seem to be enjoying it. Her mom is not actually keeping up with the show, she's just in and out. And I feel like after 4 years I have legit moved on (at least as of this moment) and am just trying to take full advantage of the friendship because it's been really great so far. We will probably go watch a movie/eat at a nice restaurant this weekend.
Literally the name of the thread is

In America we only watch the DIY network, play country music in the background at all times, and clap every time we stand up to go to the bathroom.
These colors don't run and we didn't go win dubya dubya two just to watch them weird big titty propaganda cartoons from the Empire of the Sun!

There's no need to be funny. I was answering to the guy who claim that watching anime will lowerhus chances at sex. That line of thought seemed like a cultural thing to me.

BajiBoxer

Banned
What's so bad about watching anime with her or her mother? I've watched anime with girls I dated, nothing wrong with that. Is this maybe seen as something bad in the usa?

What does his chances at sex have to do with watching Anime?

Googling that particular anime, I think I'd be hesitant to show an anime with table fucking to the parents of a woman I'm into. If she's a fellow anime nerd, probably not a big deal for her personally though.

And I feel like after 4 years I have legit moved on (at least as of this moment) and am just trying to take full advantage of the friendship because it's been really great so far.
Taking full advantage of the friendship sounds like you know your current relation-- whatever it is-- is temporary or not what you really want. Sounds like you found your "in" and you have to do x, y, and z before... what? Maybe you think you're crossing boundaries, or being dishonest with yourself or with her, or you expect things will go to shit again, or go nowhere. That's great you're having a great time on the outside, but I hope you'll be okay with how you feel after your two weeks are up.

It sounds like you want to move on, so I hope you will focus on these two weeks learning how to see her as a friend. Or, hopefully, see how fucking boring or unsatisfying it is spending two weeks with her. Maybe you'll show yourself you really can move on. If nothing happened during two weeks of full contact, nothing ever will. Aim for that. Good luck.

a girl youre trying to sleep with coming home to you watching some anime with her mom and brother sure isnt RAISING his chances

This is a weird fkin case tho, I just don't know why there's such a big emphasis on the anime part. OP should clearly just respect his friend wishes, to be clear, I totally agree with that.

I don't get how she didn't have a boyfriend in those years that kicked you out of their lives. If my girlfriend had an obvious nice guy lingering around her, he would be gone!

Kensation

I swear, if some GAFers put as much effort into themselves as they put into perusing doomed "relationships", these kinds of threads wouldn't exist.

/oldman

Slaythe

I don't get how she didn't have a boyfriend in those years that kicked you out of their lives. If my girlfriend had an obvious nice guy lingering around her, he would be gone!

I mean, he mentioned she would get drunk and make out with random guys.

Pretty sure she just gets laid on a regular basis without telling him and just doesn't seek a proper relationship atm.

This is a weird fkin case tho, I just don't know why there's such a big emphasis on the anime part. OP should clearly just respect his friend wishes, to be clear, I totally agree with that.

its more of the progression of things.

like we know this guy is trying to turn a girl hes been pining over for YEARSSSSSS into something romantic.

and his gameplan for this round of attempts was "get mom and bro into anime"

itd be like being a country that has lost 20 wars over the years and for the 21st they say "okay what if we tried to win this one without weapons"

louiedog

ok op its friday

u smash yet????

anigif_original-grid-image-9034-1392738187-4.gif

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Literally the name of the thread is

Exactly. At this point, I think OP is trying to convince himself he's moved on even though he hasn't. I think he's trying to hang out with the family and be cool because, hell, what else is he going to do there with the family around, the boyfriend around, and her just not being that into him in that way.

To be clear, I think he should convince himself that this isn't going to work out and move on. This kind of sounds like one of those 90's/2000s movies where the girl never notices the guy who loves her right under her nose until it's the end of the movie, though, it's not likely to work out like it does in the movies.

I got a laugh out of this thanks OP.

There should be a handbook for turning down nice guys. I imagine it's hard to keep coming up with excuses, especially during the awkward moment of a nice guy confronting you with his feelings.

"I'm not ready for a relationship."
"I'm focusing on school/work."
And so on.

I'm becoming more religious in the future is very creative though.

Harmen

Sorry for the lack of updates guys (been busy with work and don't get much chance at home) but the replies so far have been funny so keep them coming haha. Yes I know I've probably played myself for 4 years now and yes it's the same girl. And also she's not new to anime!! Anime is not as unpopular as you all think. She's watched FMA, Naruto, Fairy Tale, etc. in the past with her brother so I recommended this one to them. So far they seem to be enjoying it. Her mom is not actually keeping up with the show, she's just in and out. And I feel like after 4 years I have legit moved on (at least as of this moment) and am just trying to take full advantage of the friendship because it's been really great so far. We will probably go watch a movie/eat at a nice restaurant this weekend.

You don't make a thread with a title that literally contains the words "living with my crush" if you have "moved on".

KoopaTheCasual

OP:

So yeah, he is lying to himself. He also likes the attention GAF is giving him.

And why is she the selfish one? She's not the one propping up a 'friendship' on false terms for over 4 years. She outright rejected him. He just won't take no for an answer. It's all on him and kind of creepy.
They both seem really shitty in this friendship.

OP talks about how she's "not technically his" *barf*, and how he has to break her "curse." And she straight up played the, "I'm not into you now, but stick around I might settle for you later!" card.

I don't even believe in the "friendzone" but this is almost cartoonish caricature levels of Friendzone vs The *Nice Guy*

Llyranor

They both seem really shitty in this friendship.

OP talks about how she's "not technically his" *barf*, and how he has to break her "curse." And she straight up played the, "I'm not into you now, but stick around I might settle for you later!" card.

I don't even believe in the "friendzone" but this is almost cartoonish caricature levels of Friendzone vs The *Nice Guy*

It might be manipulative, but she still directly rejected him. OP interpretating the breadcrumbs as anything more than that is all on him, and sticking around is 100% OP's responsibility/agency.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
OP, you can stay there as long as you should given your living situation right now as you explained.

But please PLEASE stop bullshitting yourself.

Okay I understand how the "take full advantage of friendship" can come off as awful. But I meant it in the sense that we're both really happy and enjoying our lives right now, having a great time, and making the most out of it. That's all there is to it and I didn't think that phrase would have this much of scrutiny.

Also I guess I probably should provide a better update on the status of our relationship since those past threads. We haven't really talked much/hung out much in the past 6 months. I talked to other people, I'm assuming she talked to other people. Both of us lived our lives like normal. I'm not living a sad/depressing life as some of your making it out to be. After college ended the expectation was that we would all (not just her, other friends included) would go our separate ways. Life/luck would have it, I ended up getting a job close to where she lived. And no, some of you might assume this, but I didn't go specifically looking for a job close to where she was. It's hard to get a job in my field right now and that's where I was lucky enough to land one. Somehow we just started talking again (she didn't know I had a job at that point) about a month ago and it's been going great since then.

The entire point of this thread was that I felt a little uneasy accepting her offer to live in her house for these next 2 weeks. Yes of course I probably still had feelings for her, she was my college crush after all, but it's been a while since we really talked to each other/hung out with each other this much and I didn't know how it would go. Turns out that I'm starting to look at her as an awesome friend and enjoying it. Thanks for all the advice so far everyone.

PixelatedBookake

Yeah OP after this whole living situation thing, you should prolly cut all contact with this girl. Life is too short to be on this bullshit. Have some self-respect bro.

bionic77

OP:

So yeah, he is lying to himself. He also likes the attention GAF is giving him.

And why is she the selfish one? She's not the one propping up a 'friendship' on false terms for over 4 years. She outright rejected him. He just won't take no for an answer. It's all on him and kind of creepy.
She likes the attention and is taking advantage of a fool.

She should cut all ties with the OP but she keeps him close by because it benefits her, not because it is in any way the right thing to do.

These threads always make me so uncomfortable but I can't stop reading them.

"I might be more religious in the future" is a brand new one. Props to her for creativity.

It might be manipulative, but she still directly rejected him. OP interpretating the breadcrumbs as anything more than that is all on him, and sticking around is 100% OP's responsibility/agency.

I don't want to talk badly about her right now but it's not as direct as it seems. Even after she "rejected me" 2.5 years ago, about a year ago she brought up how she learned that she didn't know Muslim boys were allowed to marry girls of other religions and asked me if that was true. She even told me she wished that I was catholic and even implied conversion. I can't convert though, I just can't because I don't want to leave behind my existing family. When she says stuff like that, it's hard for me to believe she doesn't have any feelings whatsoever for me. But I guess she could've been just asking those questions for the knowledge.

She is manipulative, but in ways I am too. That's why I described the relationship as being "toxic." Right now all is well though.

Nekrono

I'll admit, before actually moving into her house I was feeling a bit uneasy about the situation, which is why I asked gaf for advice on how to make my time living with her easier. But after almost a week everything turned out fine so my worries earlier were unnecessary.

What you've yet to find out is that you won't really know the impact of your decision until you have moved out of her house. And judging by your previous actions I would say that unfortunately it's not going to be in your favor.

Only you two know your whole story but this girl has been playing you OP, even if she isn't (at least not intentionally) you definitely have all this time, you have completely earned that friend zone and all the drama that has come with it. You need to realize that with most women (under 30 years old) the more you strive to look like the perfect boyfriend/man the least attractive you become to them, usually girls at that point in their lives they don't really know what they want from guys, you need to make her 'earn you' by playing hard to get and so far I bet you've been completely at her disposal every time she has looked for you.

Anyhow, in your current situation I would advise into either try to sex her by being super slick in a douchey kind of way (without being an asshole) but I feel you are not this way and could come out awkward and you might end up in a worst spot or just play it cool like you're not into her or spending time with her and her family, just get home say hi to everyone and then head to your room alone, make her come to you for attention, start talking about other girls even if they don't exist, etc, this way either she starts seeing you differently and possible attracted to you or at least you don't come off as this guy who clearly does everything by/for her and has a huge crush.

Anyway, that's my advice, again you won't know the outcome of your action (moving in with her) until after you move out and so far I'd bet that it's not going to tip on your favor and you're gonna feel like shit for having spent time so close to her. Meanwhile she's gonna move on with her life like nothing happened, all because you've failed to have an effect on her by being such an incredibly nice/obsessive guy.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
You're in a weird situation right now, but you should move on once its over. If she really wanted to date you, she would have already. You can find someone who feels the same way about you as you do about them.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
An ex who I had high feelings for (and I assumed she was into me just as much) once broke up with me saying she wanted to move to France... big shock, she didn't. At best she just convinced herself that the reason she gave me is true because she was looking for a way out without feeling as much guilt, or her circumstances changed, either way she got rid of me.

Right now I'm trying to dance around the reason why I don't want to date a girl who I enjoy being friends with. I'm not attracted to her, but I can't say that cos I want to hang out with her in the future.

Zaphrynn

She likes the attention and is taking advantage of a fool.

She should cut all ties with the OP but she keeps him close by because it benefits her, not because it is in any way the right thing to do.

I have to agree with this, because it sounds like they're adults here. I had a friend who pulled nice guy shit with me for years (since middle school, really, but it ramped up in high school). Granted, I should have cut ties with him way sooner, but I kept giving him the benefit of the doubt and I didn't like being mean (dude would often whine about when friendships fall apart). However, this was in large part because I knew him since elementary school. Once I was in my 20's, I pretty much ceased all contact with him that I could. Dude was a creep and I didn't want to deal with that shit anymore.

This girl has only known OP for four years, and they met in college as adults. He's been pulling this shit since they met, basically. It sounds like they've had way more volatile and sexual conversations than I ever did with my ex-friend, yet she still talks to him and even invited him to live together for two weeks. Unless she's ridiculously naive, she knows OP wants her bad. I can't see why she would want to keep OP around other than liking the attention he gives her. Who the hell wants to deal with a guy mewling over them, starting weird fucking relationship convos, giving you just barely inappropriate compliments about your looks, etc, as an adult?

Of course, we're only hearing OP's side of things, and guys who are crushing hard love to exaggerate and hear what they want to hear in these situations, so who knows. I believe they're both pretty shitty in this situation, with OP being worse because he should move the hell on (which he hasn't, indicated by said thread), and he's been dogging at this for years.

Yo man, when it comes near the time for you to move out, make a fucking move. If she accepts, even if it's just one night, you may get laid and get all that sexual frustration out.

If she doesn't, you're moving out anyway and you'll know once and for all you need to ACTUALLY move on. And if the argument is, "It may ruin the friendship", you already said you haven't really hung out in the last 6 months so what kind of friendship is it anyway.

Top Bottom