• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Sphear announced (Square Enix/Tokyo RPG Factory, PC/PS4/Switch, $50, 2018)

I'm glad that the environments already look way more varied than Setsuna. And I'm glad they're sticking with the Chrono Trigger inspired combat

I'll be there day one for sure. Hopefully they fulfill the potential that Setsuna had

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
All I can say to that is... lol. Btw the press release says the digital price is 50 bucks on PS4, Switch, and Steam. :p
Well if you don't think that the perceived value on games can differ per Plattform that's your right.

If it's 50 buck they must be really convinced of its quality... For me and most other people it will probably have to drop in price to be even considered unless it's gets very high review scores.

duckroll

Well if you don't think that the perceived value on games can differ per Plattform that's your right.

If it's 50 buck they must be really convinced of its quality... For me and most other people it will probably have to drop in price to be even considered unless it's gets very high review scores.

No you misunderstand, I'm saying a new game from the creators of I am Setsuna looking just as lame, asking for 50 bucks, is a huge joke regardless of platform. What platform the turd is on is so minor compared to it looking like an overpriced turd.

Keep in mind that even critically acclaimed Atlus gets flack when they ask for premium price on 3DS.

kamandi

Looks good. But 50 usd for such a game is a bit much. Well, 50 usd for any game is a bit much for me nowadays but maybe it is just me.

cw_sasuke

No you misunderstand, I'm saying a new game from the creators of I am Setsuna looking just as lame, asking for 50 bucks, is a huge joke regardless of platform. What platform the turd is on is so minor compared to it looking like an overpriced turd.

Keep in mind that even critically acclaimed Atlus gets flack when they ask for premium price on 3DS.

The only reason I brought up the perception was because of the statement that the Switch version would have to be a port and the game is being designed for PS4. I think graphically less impressive games will always have a relatively better perception on less powerful system because they face less graphically/higher budget competition. On PS4 this games would compete with who knows how many much better looking big screen JRPGs like FFXV or Ninokuni 2.. While not many people would hold the production value/graphics against it as mobile/handheld titles. So the likelihood of Tokyo RPG Factory treating the Switch version as an afterthought when this game probably has the better sales potential on the system are low.

In general the price is steep - all I'm saying is that 3DS/PSV portable gamers that are used to paying 40bucks are more likely to give it a shot than console/PS4 owners who aren't satisfied by the production values. The fact that they had I am Setsuna on Switch launch tells me they expect a audience for their games on the system.

The Trailer isn't showing that much to begin with... It looks similar to I Am Setsuna that's for sure, but I don't see them increasing the price by that much if it doesn't offer more. I'll remain open minded for now... This is nothing more than a teaser for now.

Yes - acclaimed Atlus titles like SMT4 did get flack on GAF/Online and co. it still sold very well in its launch months. Something that happened with stuff like Bomberman, 1-2 Switch and will likely repeat with USF2 on as well. A game still can perform well even if we thinks it's not worth the price, as long as a audience shows up.

Gonna pay that VIIR, you know lol

jk

faridmon

I am Setsuna wasn't that good, and this looks to be the same quality, judging from the screenshots.

Unless we get good reviews saying that this is improved vastly over the first game, I won't be interested

The only reason I brought up the perception was because of the statement that the Switch version would have to be a port and the game is being designed for PS4. I think graphically less impressive games will always have a relatively better perception on less powerful system because they face less graphically/higher budget competition. On PS4 this games would compete with who knows how many much better looking big screen JRPGs like FFXV or Ninokuni 2.. While not many people would hold the production value/graphics against it as mobile/handheld titles. So the likelihood of Tokyo RPG Factory treating the Switch version as an afterthought when this game probably has the better sales potential on the system are low.

In general the price is steep - all I'm saying is that 3DS/PSV portable gamers that are used to paying 40bucks are more likely to give it a shot than console/PS4 owners who aren't satisfied by the production values. The fact that they had I am Setsuna on Switch launch tells me they expect a audience for their games on the system.

The Trailer isn't showing that much to begin with... It looks similar to I Am Setsuna that's for sure, but I don't see them increasing the price by that much if it doesn't offer more. I'll remain open minded for now... This is nothing more than a teaser for now.

Yes - acclaimed Atlus titles like SMT4 did get flack on GAF/Online and co. it still sold very well in its launch months. Something that happened with stuff like Bomberman, 1-2 Switch and will likely repeat with USF2 on as well. A game still can perform well even if we thinks it's not worth the price, as long as a audience shows up.

The game's price is steep. There is no two ways about it. The quality might be decent, but there is no way, looking at those screenshots, is it worth 50 dollars. Atlus games on DS and 3DS, were crtisised by their prices and they had at least twice as much of Production value than these. Shin Megami Tense games were dense and would lasted you for more than 100 hours with little re-used assets. Using audiences existence for these games doesn't justify the price. I am sure this will bomb.

Looks good. But 50 usd for such a game is a bit much. Well, 50 usd for any game is a bit much for me nowadays but maybe it is just me.

i wouldn't mind paying 50 usd for TWEWY 2.

Do you hear that SE? Get on that

purpleturtle

Neo Member
I liked I Am Setsuna, so I'll definitely pick this up on day one. Setsuna was the game that ticked a lot of boxes for me: simple story, under 100 hours, no random battles, etc. so, after working & other stressful life junk - it was a pleasant game to unwind with. I hope that same quaint simplicity is in the new game and the developers don't go out of their way to make everything more complex & complicated for the sake of people that want really intense gameplay or expect them to reinvent the wheel. I don't think that's their aim exactly. I think the charm of Setsuna & possibly this new title are that they are simple adventures.

OmegaDL50

So was Tokyo Rpg Factory created to just poop out Chrono Trigger games?

Their original premise for the studio was to create smaller scale JRPG projects more reminiscent of their SNES output, so probably yes.

It's just folks this day and age think if a game is being designed with a much smaller budget in mind compared to SE's bigger projects like FF mind you, then it shouldn't have a right to sell as price this game has.

The ironic thing is, the ton of long time FF fans that want SE to go back to more of their traditional turned based games something closer to their SNES output, and SE creates a studio to do exactly this and no one even wants it. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy. It's a bit funny when you think about it.

Still the Soul Blazer / Gaia / Terranigma style plot of needing to restore the world before it completely disappears kind of interests me. I think the combat in Setsuna was perfectly spot on for what it was trying to accomplish along the lines of Chrono Trigger and did it well, It could do without the timing mechanic thing though.

I will remain cautiously optimistic and await for me details on this game when it's closer to release.

I.R.I.S.

Neo Member
The ironic thing is, the ton of long time FF fans that want SE to go back to more of their traditional turned based games something closer to their SNES output, and SE creates a studio to do exactly this and no one even wants it. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy. It's a bit funny when you think about it.

The thing that drew people to the SNES games was the one-two punch of memorable story/world/characters and good gameplay. You cant just clone the gameplay and say "here, it's a retro RPG, are you happy?"

Seik

Banned
I'm in.

I Am Setsuna was nothing spectacular, but enjoyable enough for me. Hopefully this one will be a bit harder though.

cw_sasuke

The game's price is steep. There is no two ways about it. The quality might be decent, but there is no way, looking at those screenshots, is it worth 50 dollars. Atlus games on DS and 3DS, were crtisised by their prices and they had at least twice as much of Production value than these. Shin Megami Tense games were dense and would lasted you for more than 100 hours with little re-used assets. Using audiences existence for these games doesn't justify the price. I am sure this will bomb.

When did I say this game was cheap? And how CA you how much content or how many hours a RPG will last you from a teaser like this? Many people are jumping into conclusions without anything to back them up. Hell even if it was just a 20h game, of this had Chrono Trigger type quality or replay value no one would complain.

My main point is that the product is more likely to appeal for handheld gamers at that price and considering how it looks. We know pretty much nothing about the games and most reaction are based on the graphics... Which is totally fine. But they aren't the most important part in a JRPGs for me and I'm no stranger to waiting until a game is on sale.

Seeing the price makes me wonder if this game might be a lot larger than Setsuna, more in line with bigger JRPG's that you can easily put 50+ hours into. I hope so, because otherwise 49,99 seems a bit silly.

Also they rehashed the penguin-enemies. Same universe?

Widge

Many people are jumping into conclusions without anything to back them up. Hell even if it was just a 20h game, of this had Chrono Trigger type quality or replay value no one would complain.

Yeah, hours vs. price is a really bad metric of quality and value. I've got plenty of games that technically romp home in the amount of available game hours for the player, but the actual content is either utterly fatiguing or lacking in any impact as it is thinly spread out over the entire game.

When did I say this game was cheap? And how CA you how much content or how many hours a RPG will last you from a teaser like this? Many people are jumping into conclusions without anything to back them up. Hell even if it was just a 20h game, of this had Chrono Trigger type quality or replay value no one would complain.

My main point is that the product is more likely to appeal for handheld gamers at that price and considering how it looks. We know pretty much nothing about the games and most reaction are based on the graphics... Which is totally fine. But they aren't the most important part in a JRPGs for me and I'm no stranger to waiting until a game is on sale.

The thing is, it won't be anything like CT's quality, because of course it won't.

Calling this dev "Tokyo RPG Factory" was prescient, because their games (so far) play like just about the most generic SNES/PSX-era JRPGs you could get. This trailer does little to make me think this won't be similar, although it at least seems to have more visual variety.

$50 for that? Can't say I imagine this being much of any improvement over setsuna given the super quick turnaround. Studio's name is fitting.

Linkura

Yes, that's exactly what I want. But I also want the game to be good. That isn't what's happening here. They're explicitly making super low budget games to try to appeal to this now-neglected market and forgot to add soul and quality into the mix.

In assuming that there is only going to be a small physical number of copies?

I doubt the price will decrease for it.

I liked I am setsuna do hopefully this will be a better version of it.

cw_sasuke

Yeah, hours vs. price is a really bad metric of quality and value. I've got plenty of games that technically romp home in the amount of available game hours for the player, but the actual content is either utterly fatiguing or lacking in any impact as it is thinly spread out over the entire game.
I agree.
Yes, that's exactly what I want. But I also want the game to be good. That isn't what's happening here. They're explicitly making super low budget games to try to appeal to this now-neglected market and forgot to add soul and quality into the mix.

So you already played the game ? This is their second game after a solid debut with I Am Setsuna, yet you are taking about them as if the have nothing but delivered mediocre RPGs for the last two decades.
The thing is, it won't be anything like CT's quality, because of course it won't.

My point was that a RPGs consist of more than just graphics....90% of the posts seem to think that the quality of the game is only determined by the graphics. And people wonder why SE takes years to release their games. If you want your FFXV and co. there are enough products of that kind already announced.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If they're charging more hopefully that means it's more substantial than Setsuna. I had hoped for something that had more polish for their second release though. The battle UI looks like it's come out of an S-E mobile game.

I liked Setsuna. Didn't live up to its inspirations, but pleasant and something different in the modern game scape. So I'm definitely interested in this. Restoring the world sounds cool if they support it with interesting mechanics and story beats.

And I want more variety in the A and AA jRPG space, so good on SE for continuing this experiment.

Is $50 a bit steep for a game that looks like this? Sure, seems like a bit of an odd choice.

Logash

This looks incredible! I loved I am Setsuna even though the variety was lacking. It looks like the budget is pretty low since you can already see they used some of the monster models from Setsuna. Still I can't resist the music and the classic JRPG gameplay. I think Colin from Kindafunny quoted someone else saying that this was JRPG comfort food and I agree completely. Getting the Physical version of this on my Switch since I need more games for it and these more classic games fit well on the Switch.

Mister Wolf

Battle Chasers Night War is only going to be 30 bucks and it looks a lot better than this visually. I wonder how they can justify that price with the assets they're using.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
To base the monetary worth of a game on graphics is so asinine I have a hard time finding words. I'd take a hundred Setsuna games of that graphical fidelity before I buy another tired Call of Duty or Uncharted, or pick the genre you're tired of.

Graphics don't mean shit to me as long as the game is good, and I am Setsuna was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had in recent years. A bit too easy, but I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of it.

Top Bottom