• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

daninthemix

Recently picked this up on Steam and have just about finished it (hovering around the 60% completion mark, and have no intention of doing all the side stuff). The game looks amazing, has decent voice acting, and a somewhat interesting story that feels a little fractured due to the number of characters and frequency of timeskips.

In terms of traversal there’s very little to say, as in my opinion the game is as quirky, unreliable but ultimately serviceable as every other in the series. Sometimes you’ll be in an urgent hurry and suddenly climb up a lamppost. Sometimes you’ll hit some piece of environment the game doesn’t understand and stop moving entirely. Overall, the parkour is pretty good. Just like it’s always been. And kudos to Ubi for making Edward almost immune to fall damage – at least when he decides to jump off randomly rather than haystack dive it doesn’t cost you much.

Combat is hideous. Hitting people with your blades or swords is utterly pointless, as only counter-kills seem to work. For me, this was utterly immersion-breaking. I can stab a guy ten times and it does nothing, or counter-stab him once and then he dies. That makes no sense. I loathed almost every second of combat in the entire game.

Conversely, assassinating people is really good fun. Stalking through bushes, whistling to attract their attention, then whisking them out of sight is fantastic. So is pulling them into hay bales. And air assassinating people is glorious (although the game did occasionally misread my target and jump onto some random dude, resulting in several minutes of diabolically tedious combat). Berserk blowdarts are extremely fun to use – just shoot an enemy from cover, then watch them go mad and attack their buddies. The game is at its best when it just gets out of the way and lets you be an assassin.

The excess of tailing and eavesdropping missions has been well-documented. The problems are many – you’re so concentrated on your route and trying to evade combat that many players will probably miss the conversation entirely, making it a comprehensive storytelling failure. In many cases, I simply had to fail a mission several times in order to learn the target’s route, so that I then had a hope of plotting my own optimal course – such as ensuring I made my way to a haystack the target will end up pausing near. There’s no way of knowing this kind of stuff without trying and failing the mission, and the problem is that the missions aren’t compelling enough to sustain interest over multiple checkpoint retries. The ship stealth missions are woefully ill-conceived, too.

There were a number of times I felt arbitrarily restricted in a way that was most irritating – ‘fast travel unavailable’, because I was in mission limbo or some other reason the game hadn’t adequately explained. Sometimes, it simply didn’t feel like an open world because you weren’t permitted to use it as such.

While I quite enjoyed the present-day segments, the hacking minigames are completely extraneous. I’m vaguely interested in all the lore but frankly not enough to attempt a Frogger minigame more than once. Just let us walk up to the computers and access the information. How hard is that, Ubi?

The diving segments could have been a relaxing change of pace, but instead they’re infested with sharks, spines and glooper fish, making the sub-optimal swimming controls desperately frustrating. As a result, I collected the ship blueprints but ignored all other underwater chests, as these areas simply weren’t fun. Once again, the developers draw attention to their failings by making a challenge out of them, rather than simply letting us explore at leisure.

Naval warfare was well done, but ultimately outstayed its welcome due to the sheer volume of materials needed to upgrade your ship. Actually boarding ships was onerous because of all the terrible combat failings plus the fact that the camera doesn’t always show who’s attacking you. Often, I’d attempt to counter someone but it wouldn’t happen because a shipmate countered the assailant first. Then someone else would abruptly hit me. Basically it’s a clusterfuck, and the game itself doesn’t seem to have a clue who’s attacking who half the time. And if you don’t upgrade the ship you can’t conquer forts, making sea traversal a more tedious affair due to the large hostile zones, plus various story missions become yawnsomely hard without an upgraded ship. I have no solution to how Ubi should’ve improved the upgrade mechanisms or the naval economy. I only know that what began as a good thing became very wearisome after a while.

Kenway’s Fleet is kind of okay, but I wish it interlocked more pertinently with the main game. You do all this stuff, unlocking shipping lanes and dispatching vessels on missions and for what? Just money. Actually, rather than earning additional resources that are only relevant within Kenway’s fleet, why couldn’t the principle resources of wood, metal and cloth also be attainable through it, thus giving us an alternative to naval warfare for upgrading the Jackdaw? Ultimately, if the player decides that money isn’t an issue, Kenway’s Fleet ceases to be relevant and so does the whole ‘add this vessel to Kenway’s Fleet’ mechanic. Very disappointing.

The optional mission objectives are eye-rollingly boring – you can either ignore them and let the game smarmily rub an 80% synchronisation in your face, or obey them and consequently narrow the mission down to a more prescribed, linear task that’s less engaging than a simple ‘accomplish this however you want’ style sandbox – which the very first game achieved quite nicely, thankyou very much.

Many have said this would be better as a pure pirate game, but I don’t agree. Assassination and parkour are still enjoyable, on the whole. Sailing, sea shanties and island exploration are great fun but could you base an entire game around that? I’m not so sure. As I’ve said, I consider naval combat flawed (as in, naval combat is fun but boarding ships isn’t, and the upgrade economy is way too stingy and grindy).

In summary, Black Flag is flawed as both an Assassin’s Creed game and as a pirate game, but there’s enough to like on both sides that I consider it worth playing. In my opinion, the single direst thing about it is combat, as it remains a major gameplay component that is barely functional.

laxu

For me the biggest problems were the office wandering sections with minigames (awful and unnecessary), diving missions (so annoying!) and the usual lack of interesting side missions that plagues AC games. The tailing missions failed by not allowing the player more room to decide how to play them. Basically it seemed that if you didn't roughly follow the path set by developers you would fail.

The ship upgrading part was something I liked and felt there was just the right amount of upgrading to last most of the game unlike some games where by the second half you're maxed.

The Kenway fleet part seemed like a complete afterthought and mostly useless since it's just a separate minigame and not an interesting one at that. It just doesn't tie into the main game in any way. I would've preferred if you sent your fleet to haul stuff between the game areas.

I do agree that combat isn't particularly nice, it's almost like something the game developers want you to avoid at all costs.

Overall it's still the best AC game since AC II.

danmaku

You can't kill people just by mashing the attack button, but that's a good thing (why would you want to reward the player for mashing?). If you don't want to use the parry, just disarm them (A button) and then attack. Works on everyone I met so far.

Kup

This is my favourite game in the series now and I was glad to find out that Assassin's Creed: Rogue is a loose extension to this game. I love the naval combat and navigation as well as the setting and characters.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You can't kill people just by mashing the attack button, but that's a good thing (why would you want to reward the player for mashing?). If you don't want to use the parry, just disarm them (A button) and then attack. Works on everyone I met so far.
Besides counter killing you can't kill an enemy unless you use a get combo on them. So four or five uninterrupted attacks=death, after everyone besides brutes and captains are an instant kill, unless of course you use a tool on a brute. And the shipboarding parts are some of the most fun parts of the game imo.
ac4_slaying.gif

oni-link

I enjoyed it, but I also skipped 3, found some of the side stuff it forced you to do in order to get enough money to continue the main quest annoying, and the combat is awful, but even worse the animations for the combat seem much worse than they were in previous games

Has anyone played Rogue? What did you think? I'd be up for Black Flag 2

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm playing through it now and it's serviceable, nothing more. It's the first AC I've played since 2 and it has all the same problems, but the pirate theme makes up for it.

I must be the only person on earth who likes underwater segments in games, the diving missions are a nice change of pace.

Admodieus

Agree with everything here. This is why I enjoyed Unity more - it may have performance issues but the only "tail" missions are pretty fun chase ones, and the assassination missions offer you so much freedom.

daninthemix

Agree with everything here. This is why I enjoyed Unity more - it may have performance issues but the only "tail" missions are pretty fun chase ones, and the assassination missions offer you so much freedom.

Sounds interesting. Will definitely check it out when it's cheap. Am too wary of Ubisoft to drop full price on any of their stuff nowadays.

Agreed. The metagame of sailing and piracy was much more fun than the boring creeding. AC has become a tailing simulator and it's almost as bad as Destiny as far as monotonous missions go.

How I would love a pirating game without the trademarked Ubi open world mechanics.

(Also I think AC4 has the best story of them all.)

I enjoyed it, but I also skipped 3, found some of the side stuff it forced you to do in order to get enough money to continue the main quest annoying, and the combat is awful, but even worse the animations for the combat seem much worse than they were in previous games

Has anyone played Rogue? What did you think? I'd be up for Black Flag 2

I didn't think it was as good as Black Flag (my favorite in the series) but it was alright. Rogue is basically like if Black Flag and AC3 had a baby. There's a lot more land to explore (gets old though), but as a result the sailing areas feel far more constrained. The story is pretty good, but really short, and the game is mostly going around collecting useless shit. Although you don't really need to upgrade your ship much if you don't want to, Rogue is pretty easy.

I must be the only person on earth who likes underwater segments in games, the diving missions are a nice change of pace.

Fucking eels.

Raptomex

My favorite AC game. I'm not seriously invested in the series like some people. Beat the first 2 games, played through some of Brotherhood, skipped the rest, and got Black Flag with my PS4 at launch. I really enjoyed it, too. I liked it better than 2. 2 was a great improvement over 1 but I just really enjoyed the content in Black Flag.

e90Mark

Definitely my favorite AC game.

I thoroughly enjoyed the harpooning sequences. My first share from my PS4 was killing a white whale with practically no upgrades.

Top Bottom