• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson denies eSRAM Issues with Xbone, CBOAT: "nope"

WolvenOne

Not that I wish to sound conspiratorial, but, this Tweet doesn't really mean much. Remember, Microsoft never publicly announced the clock speed of its APU. This means that, assuming lowering the clock speed fixes the problem, they can simply assert that was the intended clock they were aiming for all along.

Alternately, if keeping the clockspeed the same results in lower yields, they can merely pretend those yields were acceptable all along. Either way, there's no need for them to admit an engineering issue, and seeing as they have a history of trying to pass off engineering problems as insignificant, this would simply be par for the course.

Sorry, Larry, but crazy buttocks on a train has already spoken. So spare us the lies, Larry.

They don't necessarily have to be in conflict. Crazy Buttocks has all but denied the GPU downclock with his silence on the issue, Larry could have been denying that too.

Empty

How the hell would he know, honestly? He's a PR mouthpiece, not an engineer.

well if rumours about this stuff have spread and are damaging microsoft's reputation i'd imagine the teams involved with xbox messaging have talked about how to deal with it, and have access to answers of some kind up the food chain.

i'm way more inclined to believe in cboat mind. there's lots to gain from denying it and enough wiggle room in the way the person posed the tweet to avoid it.

McHuj

Wow. I never thought he would address this. I bet MS is getting concerned about the bad word of mouth.

MarkusRJR

I believe in Major Nelson more than a post in a forum.
I remember the days when I too believed everything gaming PR reps say, until I realized they were paid to be shills and were pretty much forced to put the company in a good view or else get fired.

And honestly, MS never confirmed the specs at all before this point so Major Nelson probably hopes that no one will ever find out he lied (assuming he did lie).

What about the down clock?

this little bit of info will tell us if this rumor was true or not and since MS won't be doing a Q&A after E3 I guess we won't have a chance to ask them then, so we'll have to wait until they're actually in the stores to crack them open and get a peek.

Majanew

Banned
They don't necessarily have to be in conflict. Crazy Buttocks has all but denied the GPU downclock with his silence on the issue, Larry could have been denying that too.

Where did that tweet ask about a down clock? All I saw was eSRAM issue being asked about.

Which makes sense to me. I'm not sure the downclocking thing was ever more than intelligent speculation, because downclocking is one of three available strategic responses - the others being a launch delay or accepting very low quantities of consoles at the launch - and seems like the most viable of those strategies.

We can basically interpret this as "Microsoft isn't going to downclock, so it's down to a launch delay or very low quantity of consoles at launch."

Quoting for the new page because this is moving hella fast.

Of course he's going to deny, he can hardly admit to manufacturing/yield issues
To be fair, Microsoft's strict policy is to 'not comment on rumours or speculation'. So in many ways, I'm actually willing to believe this outright denial as it goes against Microsoft's usual policies. Before this tweet, I sided with cboat's source.

There's no doubt that there's a couple of strong sources out there claiming something different, but that doesn't make them correct. Regardless, this is something we'll unlikely ever know the full truth behind.

Raist

Banned
I'll say it again: Larry stonewalls hundreds of tweets about rumors every day and has for years, he simply doesn't comment. That he replied in this case, with a specific and very resounding no, stands as evidence to me that he's not lying.

Y'know, or he could just not respond.

A rumour turning into a 5000 posts thread on GAF, back by several trusted insiders, is not something you can possibly stonewall.

I personally don't give him any benefit of the doubt given how many times he's lied through his teeth.

eorl

Banned
I don't know how that's evidence of anything. If everything he's ever said was true... maybe. But he's a PR schill. Is the infinite power of the cloud also true because Major Nelson said so?
While you may not like PR, they are the ones being used as mouthpieces so its obvious he has been told to say this. Is it true? Who knows. Do we trust CBOAT? I don't know.

Krakn3Dfx

I have my doubts that someone would contact Major Nelson in the event of eSRAM production issues.

And my doubts that even if they did, that he would be in a legitimate position to say anything except "No" regardless.

Truthfact is probably the best word creation since shootbang. So good.

CBoaT is the hero GAF deserves. E3 is gonna be real good.

Jackpot

Banned
image.png

Pffffftt ....... the M$ mouth piece denies performance issues? What? Do you expect him to seriously be honest about this? PUH-LEEZ!!!

To be fair, he could have ignored or dodged the question. Or given the typical MS "Microsoft does not comment on rumors and speculation."

Still, I'm sticking with Crazy Buttocks on this one (incidentally, Crazy Buttocks is way more fun to type than CBOAT).

Also, I like your clever use of a dollar sign instead of an S. I think it shows everyone how Microsoft is a company that only cares about making money, unlike other companies, which generally can take it or leave it.

jmls1121

Banned
I am going to trust the forum member confirmed as a credible source, illiterate as he may be, over a PR guy for a company that is cancelling all press contact during the most important media week for its gaming division in over 10 years.

Top Bottom