• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major PS4 System Software Update v2.0 Available NOW

Blitz7x

Neo Member
Wow, I'm really glad I checked this thread. I just bought my ps4 the day that 2.0 came out so the rest function has never worked for me. When my ps4 goes into rest mode (fell asleep while watching netflix), the orange light blinks and the fans turn on full speed. Ugh. I'm glad it's a system bug and not my new system.

dEvAnGeL

i read somewhere that updating playroom will fix the rest mode issue i just cant find the freaking article to post the link, it worked for me, i went to the application, click on the options button, clicked on check for updates, updated the playroom and after that i haven't had a problem with rest mode, before the orange light kept like moving if you know what i mean but now is stable orange and works great when i turn the system back on

Alpende

I've had that rest mode issue two times now, switching back to fully powering it off. Hate it when that yellow light just keeps on pulsing and I have to pull the plug.

Hope they fix it soon.

i read somewhere that updating playroom will fix the rest mode issue i just cant find the freaking article to post the link, it worked for me, i went to the application, click on the options button, clicked on check for updates, updated the playroom and after that i haven't had a problem with rest mode, before the orange light kept like moving if you know what i mean but now is stable orange and works great when i turn the system back on

I'll try this out first.

MisterM

The rest mode issue is driving me mad. The only option for me to charge my controller seems now seems to be.

1) Play and charge, however the supplied USB cable is too short.
2) Leave the console fully on and then turn off when my controller is charged.
3) Let it charge in rest mode and pull the plug when I want to use the PS4 again

If any of these fixes work or anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

Changing USB charging under power options to "Always" fixed the rest mode problem for me. Also resolving Youtube issue might have contributed to my fix.

Jolkien

The rest mode issue is driving me mad. The only option for me to charge my controller seems now seems to be.

1) Play and charge, however the supplied USB cable is too short.
2) Leave the console fully on and then turn off when my controller is charged.
3) Let it charge in rest mode and pull the plug when I want to use the PS4 again

If any of these fixes work or anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

You plug the USB cable on a PC or in a wall socket with a cell phone charger. Besides iPhone all modern phone use micro usb.

So far we've seen these random fixes posted all over the place:

1) change USB power to always
2) take out the disc
3) update Playroom
4) doing a total restore and reinstall of the firmware from within Safe Mode (ugh)
4.1) going into safe mode and doing a database rebuild (fix suggest by Sony?)
5) verifying your PSN email
6) re-registering your PSN email
7+) sacrificing a small animal and eating its heart to gain its power

It would be good for people to stop coming up with random fixes and saying "this worked for me! it must be the fix!" and actually testing things multiple ways.

To be honest, I didn't have the problem at all until this morning. The only thing that changed between yesterday afternoon, when it worked, and this morning, when it didn't work, is that I downloaded Samurai Warriors 4 and had added my Japanese PSN account to the system. when I get home from work I'm going to do a full shut down and try going back to rest mode before anything. If that doesn't work i'm going to change the USB power. Try it set to 10 minutes (the new default, it seems), then always on and then off. If this is fruitful we may be onto something as, IMO, this seems the most likely culprit. But, again, I'm going to ACTUALLY TEST IT (unless someone else wants to try).

It would be good for people to stop coming up with random fixes and saying "this worked for me! it must be the fix!" and actually testing things multiple ways.

It would take several days to test things multiple ways for most people, because the problem seems to only appear when the system has been "resting" for several hours.

fixuis

Just installed 2.0 and tried the rest mode as well. Everything good so far. I noticed an increase in the brightness level the ps4 is outputting after the 2.0 update and had to tone my tv brightness and contrast down several points. Anyone else noticed had this issue?

AndyD

aka andydumi
It would take several days to test things multiple ways for most people, because the problem seems to only appear when the system has been "resting" for several hours.

Indeed, many speculate it has to do with any the online checkin or file update/download during rest, so it wont show up as an issue instantly, but after a while.

Ramza

Banned
Just installed 2.0 and tried the rest mode as well. Everything good so far. I noticed an increase in the brightness level the ps4 is outputting after the 2.0 update and had to tone my tv brightness and contrast down several points. Anyone else noticed had this issue?

Updating to 2.0 for me reset my HDMI full settings to limited, so see if yours got changed.

vgamer1

My rest mode bug was fixed after I turned off and then back on all of the options in the rest mode settings page on the PS4.

I actually just tested the USB power options and there was no change. Each time the orange light started the steady pulsing that comes with the unit being stuck in rest.

I just did the database rebuild so I'll see what happens soon.

GAF this update has bricked my PS4 I think.

Can't power on the PS4 just makes a beep when I press the button.

Unplugged and tried again, nothing.

Held button in for like a minute, nothing.

Wut :I

EDIT : it just powered up, spit my disc out and now won't come back on >.<

The game was Ghosts. I think it's trying to tell me something :p

I learned my lesson with PS3 to not install updates day 1. Still haven't updated, though their isn't much of a reason to right now.

saunderez

I've confirmed the rest mode bug absolutely has to do with having a disc in the tray (at least on my system). I have reproduced it 100% of the time since getting COD:AW on disc as I haven't played a disc based game in months. COD:AW in tray when system enters rest = hang. Eject before entering rest = no hang. Eject your discs before entering rest mode people.

truth411

I've confirmed the rest mode bug absolutely has to do with having a disc in the tray (at least on my system). I have reproduced it 100% of the time since getting COD:AW on disc as I haven't played a disc based game in months. COD:AW in tray when system enters rest = hang. Eject before entering rest = no hang. Eject your discs before entering rest mode people.

CONFIRMED!!!!!!! I usually play disc based games and leave a disc inside all the time. My PS4 have been have the rest mode bug since the update, so I've just been turning the PS4 off. I took the disc out and everything works fine now!!!

Edit: just fyi my PS4 is a launch console.

MGR

GAF this update has bricked my PS4 I think.

Can't power on the PS4 just makes a beep when I press the button.

Unplugged and tried again, nothing.

Held button in for like a minute, nothing.

Wut :I

EDIT : it just powered up, spit my disc out and now won't come back on >.<

The game was Ghosts. I think it's trying to tell me something :p

Nah I've had similar weird issues with the rest bug.

I've found that if it just beeps and doesn't power on;
- pull the power cord
- press the power button on the PS4 (beeps and tries to turn on with residual power left in PSU)
- plug power cord back
- power on again (it'll beep, shut down briefly and power on again)

I've been shutting it down completely to avoid the issue but my kids still just hit the power button and put in rest mode.

I've had a disc in the entire time and no issues.

saunderez

I've had a disc in the entire time and no issues.
What triggers it does seem pretty random. I had no problem the first time I played COD:AW but every time after the first it has hung on rest. I don't know if the disc triggered it to start happening but taking it out resumes normal rest operations in my case. I've repeated it 5 or 6 times its past the point of coincidence.

truth411

What triggers it does seem pretty random. I had no problem the first time I played COD:AW but every time after the first it has hung on rest. I don't know if the disc triggered it to start happening but taking it out resumes normal rest operations in my case.

Same here, I took the game disc out, in my case drive club. Everything works fine now. Every time before I had a Game disc in a and it would hanged up in rest mode. I'll put a Game disc back in and try it out.

saunderez

Same here, I took the game disc out, in my case drive club. Everything works fine now. Every time before I had a Game disc in a and it would hanged up in rest mode. I'll put a Game disc back in and try it out.
It's gotta be the cause. I never had it happen once before I put a disc in the drive. It's 100% reproducible here.

EDIT: I also have an upgraded hard drive but I don't think it's a factor as rest mode worked for so long after the upgrade.

As a product/test engineer I am really surprised how poor sony's validation/test plan was for verifying this release. My rest mode is completely broken w/ disc in like many others. I just resort to turning my PS4 all the way off.

PSYGN

My PS4 is fine but my brother's PS4 has been turning off after playing for 15min to an hour. This happened right after the update and he's never had an issue with his PS4, so it's VERY suspect with everyone having issues. When my brother turns on his PS4 (after unplugging it to wake it out of rest), it warns him about not doing so even though it's the only way to get it out of slumber. It's annoying because we want to play CoD:AW together and can't.

truth411

It's gotta be the cause. I never had it happen once before I put a disc in the drive. It's 100% reproducible here.

EDIT: I also have an upgraded hard drive but I don't think it's a factor as rest mode worked for so long after the upgrade.

Ok, I placed a Game disc back inside and the rest mode bug came right back. It's 100% legit. Took the disc out then rest mode works fine. Also I have a lunch PS4 with stock HDD.

truth411

As a product/test engineer I am really surprised how poor sony's validation/test plan was for verifying this release. My rest mode is completely broken w/ disc in like many others. I just resort to turning my PS4 all the way off.

That's how it was with me, take the disc out then try putting it in rest mode. If it works for you like us, then we just found a temporary remedy. This is 100% legit.

Edit: also when I had a Game disc inside, I heard the bluray drive did a quick spin up like it was trying to load the game right before it started flashing orange. It didn't do that before the update.

+1 on thinking a game left in the drive is the issue with Rest Mode. It doesn't happen every time when I have a disc in, but the few times Rest Mode has hung up on me, I heard the disc spin up as the light was pulsing white, then continued to pulse orange.

Without a disc in the drive, Rest Mode has been flawless for me since the update.

Mastperf

My PS4 is fine but my brother's PS4 has been turning off after playing for 15min to an hour. This happened right after the update and he's never had an issue with his PS4, so it's VERY suspect with everyone having issues. When my brother turns on his PS4 (after unplugging it to wake it out of rest), it warns him about not doing so even though it's the only way to get it out of slumber. It's annoying because we want to play CoD:AW together and can't.
My PS4 turned on its own for the first time after this update too. I'm just gonna keep it off until they release a fix.

warlock7

Neo Member
Ran the update... We'll see if this fixes the problems.

By the way, I had tried the "no disc in the system" too, and that did not work for me.
Every early suggested fix appeared to address the issue, temporarily, at best.. None of the recommendations worked in the long run though. Now, it's too late to experiment any further on 2.00.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ran the update... We'll see if this fixes the problems.

By the way, I had tried the "no disc in the system" too, and that did not work for me.
Every early suggested fix appeared to address the issue, temporarily, at best.. None of the recommendations worked in the long run though. Now, it's too late to experiment any further on 2.00.

Same here, none of the suggested changes helped long term. Overnight it would still break regardless of settings employed.

Cross-posting from the other thread:

So...the rest mode issue still isn't fixed for me. :/

I started the download for The Crew beta, and put the console into rest mode. It's been about two hours now (more than enough time for the download to finish), and the orange light is still blinking, and I can't turn on my PS4 with the controller or by pressing the power button.

Sigh...

Top Bottom