• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major PS4 System Software Update v2.0 Available NOW

vypek

I'm not doing it because of time advantage but because it's working fine. But if I had the bug, I'd be curious to check what causes it. I used to beta test software so it's interesting for me. If there were beta tests for PS4 like X1 has, I'd immediately opt in.

Beta testing would be such a huge asset for them. They really should try to do it. If its really based on whether a game is in the system or not, that could be a huge clue. (As a CS student, I'm also really curious about the source of the bug and why it wasn't caught.)

Since the 2.0 update I have been having issues with my Pulse Headset having short dropouts. Audio occasionally drops and the dongle looks like it is searching for the device (it starts flashing) then the audio picks back up. At first I thought it was related to the USB music player, but it also occurred with just game audio and no other USB dongle inserted.

I never had any issues before 2.0 so I'm wondering if it is related. I will do further tests tonight as it could just be some weird issue related just to Shadow of Mordor.

Had something similar

For the dongle to pick up my headset I actually have to turn the PS4 off & on

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
this update really messed up my ps4, i haven't been using rest mode and today from completely turned off its just stuck on this screen:

tumblr_inline_negxzmcbUh1r3825d.png

its been like that for 10 minutes, i never had any problem with it before the update whatsoever but the other day it was unresponsive from rest mode so i pulled the chord and stopped using rest mode, now it won't even boot up from switched off and i'm reticent about pulling the chord again and messing it up smh

This looks like the console got stuck authenticating towards PSN fyi, I've had that happen once, pulled the network cable and it went straight to dash immediately. In case it ever happens again.

iceatcs

PSN as a whole in the past 6-8 months has been an absolute joke.

Friends lists lagging out.
Friend requests taking hours/days to send.
Friend requests taking hours/days to recieve.
Being unable to find and add people.
Messages taking hours/days to send.
Messages taking hours/days to receive.
Messages lagging out.
Trophies not updating automagically in rest mode.
Random crashes.
Rest mode bugs.

No it isn't. See above.

Ahh you meaning history problems. Thought you were asking if PSN is problem with firmware 2.0.
It is likely Sony are problem to catch up the number of servers demand because of PS4 sale much more than Sony's expectations.

Hopefully after xmas term, Sony might able to catch up with the demand.

Okay seriously screw this update. I cannot put my PS4 into rest/standby mode even after I did all the "fixes". Sony has really messed up on this and it kinda makes me angry that I had to hard restart my PS4 like 4 times thinking one of the "fixes" would work. Oh well, here is hoping that they are able to roll out a stability patch this week...

AndyD

aka andydumi
For me it's inconsistent. SOmetimes rest works, but not others. And I tried changing settings all over for USB power, internet connection and so forth. And even shutdown sometimes causes it to reboot to shut down.

NotBacon

If you're having the rest mode problem, this worked for me:

Go to Settings > PSN > Account(?). There you should see something along the lines of "Not Verified. Send email" or something. Click on that. You'll get an email from them, click Verify, and now you should be good.

I rebooted after that and now I can wake up from Rest every time.

GnawtyDog

Banned

The bold sounds like made up/over-exaggerated shit. Sorry if I can't take it at face value but I have never heard of friends request/acceptances lagging out for days, same as messages. And I say this as a person who frequents r/PS4 often - which is filled with complaints daily.

Samus4145

Has anyone else not have any issues with rest mode? Since day one for the 2.0 update, I have been putting it in rest mode and have not had a single issue. Also suspending a game when going to a video app is much faster now.

JB1981

Has anyone else not have any issues with rest mode? Since day one for the 2.0 update, I have been putting it in rest mode and have not had a single issue. Also suspending a game when going to a video app is much faster now.

I have not had one issue either. Things work just like they used to. I was also able to connect over Remote Play all weekend with no problems. I haven't encountered the issues people are describing. Guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Ogawa-san

Haven't had any issues and I've played a lot since the update. Using "rest" mode and that new setting to only charge controllers for 3h afterwards if that makes any difference.

Reule

Just had my very first hard lock on my PS4. Tried sending message in-game and it locked up. Rebooted and everything went was fine. Message was even sent, which is odd since it froze on 97% while sending. I guess it did it in the background.

I was really hoping this firmware update would somehow fix my issue of not being able to upload any media to any social media sites but I guess not. :(

I was fine for several days, but then got it twice in a row when my PS4 was resting for longer period.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The bold sounds like made up/over-exaggerated shit. Sorry if I can't take it at face value but I have never heard of friends request/acceptances lagging out for days, same as messages. And I say this as a person who frequents r/PS4 often - which is filled with complaints daily.

same here. the only issue i've had with message and friend requests is getting notifications that i have a new message or friend request and sometimes it not showing up right away. which is weird but is no way on the level of the reset mode bug or even the share button bug that persisted in previous firmwares

Nafai1123

Banned
Here's how I fixed the rest mode issues.

Don't put the console into rest mode until they release a new FW update that fixes it.

Problem solved.

Reule

I've never had it take days but I've had a message or two show up an hour or two later. That's about the longest I've had to wait. Friend requests have actually been quicker lately but messages still seem to take 30 seconds to a minute to send. :(

I noticed that I couldn't remote play to my PS4 when I was at work. Then I noticed that I couldn't wake it up at home. Then I went to check the settings, and sure enough, as the settings have moved to 'Rest Mode', the Stay Connected to the Internet setting there was off, and that one has Enable Turning On of PS4 from Network as a child, that then is obviously also turned off.

Turned on both of them, problem solved.

Cock of War

This is a bit off-topic but still potentially relevant. I have had no issues with this firmware update whatsoever.

So I bought The Walking Dead S1&S2 the other day (lttp: It's real damn good), chewed through S1 and was itching to start S2 today. BUT S2 is unable to find the savefile from S1. Checked TTG's forums and there are a few with the same problem and as of now no solution. A couple of the forum posters there are speculating if it's related to firmware 2.0 but yeah it's just speculation.

Anyways I thought this was worth bringing up here. Maybe this issue warrants a new topic?
I'm pretty bummed that I'll have to wait who knows how long to find out what happens next :(

Sora_N

What does 'Rest Mode' do? I just did it for the first time and I can't turn my system back on with the power button or controller.

Had to unplug the system and then turn it back on to do a disk check and then it worked again.

EDIT: Just read the news, gg Sony. Seriously.

McFadge

FFS, why? There's even a message on screen telling you to wait. Blinking orange means the shutdown is in progress.

Now I understand why so many people have their systems fucked up.

Based on what has been happening to other people's systems, I figured it was my only choice. I had it happen again and left it blinking for 8 hours.

I think the best course of action is to avoid Rest mode until this is all sorted out.

Since the update, every single time I go to rest mode I get the blinking orange. As it stands now, my current blinker has been going for about 4 hours. Guess I'll just start turning it off completely until they maybe get around to addressing it.
First 'major' update since launch, adds next to nothing, and they can't even do that without hitches. There are no words...

Barrett2

I just got home from work. My PS4 was audibly turned on despite entertainment center door being closed. Opened door and found very hot PS4, fan on high, orange blinking light. After opening entertainment center door the fan trend off after 10 minutes, but orange light is still blinking and nothing happens when I hit power button on console or DS4.

I'm 99% sure the system was either off or in standby when I left this morning. Anybody else know of systems phanton powering-on since the update?

Gamer345

Banned
No. Total and utter rubbish.

Messages lagging out.
Random crashes.
Rest mode bugs.

I could go on and on. As a paid service Sony has dropped the ball big time when it comes to basic requirements of their online offering.

No it isn't. See above.

Again see above.

Okay that was good. :D

The scary thing is that I'm sure many people at this point in time genuinely think this is what's going on right now at Sony.

There is a total and utter lack of acknowledgement and feedback or updates on what's going on behind the scenes. The very thing Sony was being praised for leading up to PS4 release, now however, imo MS is totally showing them up in regards to transparency and OS updates and whatever they're working on. So much so that I'm actually considering purchasing my first ever MS console.

Answer me this, when was the last time Sony actually utilised the "Live from Playstation" feature under the notifications section to tell us what's going on?

Sony just isn't interested as they seem to think "they've won."

Everything there could be listed under two or three categories

Friend list problem
Message problem
Rest mode problem

And even that list is overly exaggerated as usual

I have one: hyperbole.

I don't believe you actually have any real idea what that means or how it should be applied, but feel free ;)

Everything there could be listed under two or three categories

Friend list problem
Message problem
Rest mode problem

And even that list is overly exaggerated as usual

His list isn't exaggerated at all. I face every single one of the problems he listed on an almost daily basis at this point. On super lucky days, I get all of them! On not so lucky days, I only get 3-4 of them :( Those are sad days indeed. (now we're getting somewhere closer le-seb)

Jeels

I followed the instructions on the guine pig thread and my PS4 works just fine and I always put it in rest mode so I'm grateful I didn't run into any issue.In case anyone wants to know yes I use my PS4 every day (got to do those FFXIV Dailys) so I'm a heavy user of my PS4 so it's not like I used it only once after the update.

http://tay.kotaku.com/you-can-play-ps4s-japanese-exclusives-right-now-here-1523908351

Thanks!!! Just downloaded the Toro theme. The music is great. :) Omg. My PS4 is now so happy.

le-seb

I don't believe you actually have any real idea what that means or how it should be applied, but feel free ;)
Hyperbole is exaggeration, and you're exaggerating when you say the update brought next to nothing.
Shareplay isn't exactly 'nothing' and themes aren't either, and I'm only talking about most visible features added.

I'm really sorry you have problems with your PS4, but this shouldn't prevent you from keeping a bit of objectivity.

demazin

If you're having the rest mode problem, this worked for me:

Go to Settings > PSN > Account(?). There you should see something along the lines of "Not Verified. Send email" or something. Click on that. You'll get an email from them, click Verify, and now you should be good.

I rebooted after that and now I can wake up from Rest every time.

I'll give this a shot.
Cheers!

Jeseus

No. Total and utter rubbish.

Messages lagging out.
Random crashes.
Rest mode bugs.

I could go on and on. As a paid service Sony has dropped the ball big time when it comes to basic requirements of their online offering.

No it isn't. See above.

Again see above.

Okay that was good. :D

The scary thing is that I'm sure many people at this point in time genuinely think this is what's going on right now at Sony.

There is a total and utter lack of acknowledgement and feedback or updates on what's going on behind the scenes. The very thing Sony was being praised for leading up to PS4 release, now however, imo MS is totally showing them up in regards to transparency and OS updates and whatever they're working on. So much so that I'm actually considering purchasing my first ever MS console.

Answer me this, when was the last time Sony actually utilised the "Live from Playstation" feature under the notifications section to tell us what's going on?

Sony just isn't interested as they seem to think "they've won."

i agree man ... the old good days with PS3

when i leave PS4 in rest mode after 1 hour it will completly turn off ... this update is another amazing joke from FW team SOONY i must say BRAVO SOONY BRAVO!!!

PS
after 2.0 update Singstar is crashing too and this mean my girlfrend is pissed too :))

SZips

I think I ran into the rest mode bug tonight though I could have sworn I fully turned my system off last night. Hit the power button on my controller, heard a beep, then noticed my console wasn't on. Tried the controller again and no response. Hit the power button on the console and nothing happened outside of a beep. Tried again and it turned on.

This sadly sounds like a different issue than what the rest of you have run into, right?

Also tonight the YouTube app literally logged me out in the middle of watching a video!

I apologize if I'm ignorant here, is there any fix for the sleep issue yet? I haven't been following it too close lately, and I accidentally let my PS4 go into sleep mood after an hour of inactivity, which ended up in it being unresponsive for the 2nd time. I just unplugged it and waited a while and everything seems in order; I just didn't know if there was a particular fix other than turning off the sleep mode.

I've had loads of issues with my PS4 the last few months too. It was perfect before Destiny.

My main gripes are that messages take forever to load and send. As in 10 minutes to receive, about 3 minutes to send (get's stuck at 97% every time), and the new Trophy system takes forever to actually load up the trophy to see what it is. Like 2 minutes. Comparing this to the Xbox 360 achievement pop which was near instant proper annoys me this time around. And of course Rest mode not working at all for me :(

Hurry up Sony and fix this shieeett. To be fair it seems silly that they did such a big update in the busiest time of year.

D23

Worst system update ever. Ive been using rest mode exclusively since i bought it on launch day. But ever since this update, my ps4 just wont turn on after rest mode. Guess ill start shutting it off completely... That means no vita remote play..

Kai Ozu

I always shut down the PS4, that orange light sucks when I'm trying to sleep.

But yes, the system crashes a lot now for me, when I try to look at messages in game and stuff like that.

audeh64r8

Banned
Seems like Sony aren't really prepared at all with their bugs and stuff.

Thank goodness Sony aren't releasing Updates regularly if they cant seem to make them work.

Otherwise, it would've been a massive mess.

Hyperbole is exaggeration, and you're exaggerating when you say the update brought next to nothing.
Shareplay isn't exactly 'nothing' and themes aren't either, and I'm only talking about most visible features added.

I'm really sorry you have problems with your PS4, but this shouldn't prevent you from keeping a bit of objectivity.

Shareplay is 'nothing' to me, I have no use for it, and would have much preferred they fix problems with existing 'features' (basic features for 2014 mind you) before adding new ones (worthwhile or not). We're going to differ on the idea of exaggeration here. Feel free to bust out this long list of 'not so visible features', but themes and shareplay are 2 items that don't add up to a 'major update' in my book. 1 year, 2 'big ticket items' according to you, and even more 'not so visible', most of which have been available on previous gen consoles (and some even on a certain competitor console) for quite awhile, yet NO FIXES to any of the problems many have been encountering. I see the exaggeration alright, but it would be on your side of this fence. How's the defense force going these days?

And I'm again going to challenge your ability to use words correctly. Objectivity is to look at something impartially. Where exactly am I not doing so? Because I don't agree with your sony tinted view a 'major update'? I think you need to step back and take a long look in the mirror with that one.

warlock7

Neo Member
Worst system update ever. Ive been using rest mode exclusively since i bought it on launch day. But ever since this update, my ps4 just wont turn on after rest mode. Guess ill start shutting it off completely... That means no vita remote play..

Just to clarify... It used to be called Standby, so, you've really only been able to use "rest mode" since the update.

wowzors

Was kind of hoping this would be an easy/quick fix. I use my ps4 in rest mode 24/7 so that all my controllers/headsets are charged and updates downloaded. Quite inconvenient.

Sony please fix rest mode issues. Not even acknowledging it is so amateurish!

It's so frustrating how slow they've been to release any meaningful software updates and how poorly they've communicated with their user base.

My mistake. I wouldve expected them to post something on the blog or as a system wide message on the ps4 warning users. Rather than seemingly just a tweet?

Top Bottom