• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major PS4 System Software Update v2.0 Available NOW

McFadge

I've encountered the rest problem for the first time just now. I always put my PS4 into rest mode, so it's been in and out of that with no problems since the update. However, today I accidentally hit the power button instead of eject, and the PS4 started trying to power down, with the orange light blinking. Had to pull the plug. Plugged it back in, powered it on, did a system check and we're up and running again.

Konosuke

Right but it already takes them so long. What, do we need to give Sony another year for a working YouTube app?

Try the following:

If you're still having trouble logging into YouTube on PS4, goto Google in a browser and security in account settings.

Under account permissions select "apps and websites", find PSN and select "Revoke Access."

You should now be able to log in on your PS4.

Post if it works.

Edit: Doesn't work for everyone.

Revoke if already posted

This works for me found it on reddit hopes it works for you.

1. Make sure you are logged into the account you want to link, and go to the Advanced Settings.

2. Under "Account Information" you should see a weird looking email/login associated with your account. It should be something like <account name>-<random #>@pages.plusgoogle.com. (If you don't have this, it should give you an option to create one by connecting to a Google+ page.)

3. Log out of gmail/youtube. Log back in, but this time login using your unique @pages.plusgoogle.com.

4. Follow this link, and if you see PSN is a registered device, revoke access to it.

5. Go back to your PS4, and now login to the youtube app using the @pages.plusgoogle.com login & pw from before.

FeiRR

Banned
I've encountered the rest problem for the firs time just now. I always put my PS4 into rest mode, so it's been in and out of that with no problems since the update. However, today I accidentally hit the power button instead of eject, and the PS4 started trying to power down, with the orange light blinking. Had to pull the plug. Plugged it back in, powered it on, did a system check and we're up and running again.

How long did you wait?

Kimppis

I left my PS4 on stand-by like a week ago and I haven't used it since. Yesterday I noticed that my system has turned off for some reason, but I didn't give it another thought. Now I'm on GAF for the first time after my brief hiatus. So... something is actually going on? Well, shit.

McFadge

Welp, played some games and went into Rest mode, blinking light.

Rebuilt the database and it seems to be going into Rest mode okay now.

Beefy

No. Total and utter rubbish.

PSN as a whole in the past 6-8 months has been an absolute joke.

Friends lists lagging out.
Friend requests taking hours/days to send.
Friend requests taking hours/days to recieve.
Being unable to find and add people.
Messages taking hours/days to send.
Messages taking hours/days to receive.
Messages lagging out.
Trophies not updating automagically in rest mode.
Random crashes.
Rest mode bugs.

You have all them problems? Or heard about them problems? I would be pissed if that lot happened to me. But for me PSN has been fine apart from the DDOS attacks.

Footos22

Unless your waiting for something to download or use remote play alot i really dont see the point in putting the ps4 into rest mode, The start up time between cold boot and rest mode is a few seconds at most. not like Xbox, instant on is actually instant. A cold boot take ages. Always turned mine off unless i know ill be downloading ps+ games or whatever the night before.

Ducktail

What are the recommended speeds for SharePlay from Sony ? I tried a session with my cousin who lives in the same city but always get the "your connection is too slow, update you Internet fucka" message. 500kb/s up is not enough it seems :( 1mbit minimum I guess ?

I tried with a friend of mine who's got 1.8 and the image wasn't even loading. Then I tried sharing my connection of 4mbit and it was absolutely flawless. We even played Diablo III coop with 3 players.

vypek

Because being afraid of a blinking light is stupid.

It seems even worse to ignore something that could do potential damage. People are complaining along with problems of the blinking light yet more people continue to do it. Is the slight time advantage really that great to ignore the bug?

The problem doesn't affect me since I never used rest mode on purpose before but at this point, entering rest mode on purpose is trying to produce the bug. It only would make sense to do this if you're setting up a fix.

warlock7

Neo Member
All "fixes" applied to my machine have had, at best, a temporary effect on the symptoms my machine is exhibiting. I went through all the recommended approaches, re-installing firmware, fixing databases, going to default settings, going into rest mode with no disc in the machine, turning off automatic uploads by game. None of which proved successful in the long run. My machine begins to pulse orange for no apparent reason and at no specific time after it enters rest mode. The only consistency I see is that it keeps doing it at some point no matter what I do to try to fix it.

I've had the rest mode happen as soon as I put the machine into the mode and I've had it appear to happen after an hour or after sixteen hours, with no apparent rhyme or reason.

So, when will Sony provide us with a useful update which allows the machine do what it's supposed to be able to do out of the box? I want my machine to charge my devices while it's in standby and it can't even do that anymore without placing the software and the hardware I purchased at risk. I'd like to see some numbers and models as to what and who have been affected.

Kotaku covered the issue in a short article three days after the fact. Other than that I haven't been privy to any of the big sites even mentioning it. Or have they? I'm surprised that this isn't being reported on any gaming site which reports on PS4...

FFS, why? There's even a message on screen telling you to wait. Blinking orange means the shutdown is in progress.

Now I understand why so many people have their systems fucked up.

With mine and a lot of other people's consoles that pulsing orange light never ends like it should. It gets stuck doing that, no matter how long you wait.

warlock7

Neo Member
I left my PS4 on stand-by like a week ago and I haven't used it since. Yesterday I noticed that my system has turned off for some reason, but I didn't give it another thought. Now I'm on GAF for the first time after my brief hiatus. So... something is actually going on? Well, shit.

Not from my experience. It goes into rest mode with a blinking blue light and when it successfully gets into rest/standby the light goes solid orange. If it runs into the "rest mode bug" then the orange light blinks.

The only mention of any blinking lights according to the playstation knowledge base is if it blinks red, which indicates the machine is overheating.

UPDATE: Heck, the KB article is clearly not updated to reflect the new software. It says "Standby" not "Rest". They haven't even updated their documentation to reflect the changes to their software. Yet another tremendous failure on their part.

warlock7

Neo Member
Unless your waiting for something to download or use remote play alot i really dont see the point in putting the ps4 into rest mode, The start up time between cold boot and rest mode is a few seconds at most. not like Xbox, instant on is actually instant. A cold boot take ages. Always turned mine off unless i know ill be downloading ps+ games or whatever the night before.

Rest mode is the only way to charge while the machine isn't running. Critical when you have Sony controllers and Sony headsets that only last for a few hours per charge.

It's not worth the extra electrical cost to leave the machine running in order to charge peripherals.

TsuWave

this update really messed up my ps4, i haven't been using rest mode and today from completely turned off its just stuck on this screen:

tumblr_inline_negxzmcbUh1r3825d.png

its been like that for 10 minutes, i never had any problem with it before the update whatsoever but the other day it was unresponsive from rest mode so i pulled the chord and stopped using rest mode, now it won't even boot up from switched off and i'm reticent about pulling the chord again and messing it up smh

vypek

Rest mode is the only way to charge while the machine isn't running. Critical when you have Sony controllers and Sony headsets that only last for a few hours per charge.

It's not worth the extra electrical cost to leave the machine running in order to charge peripherals.

It isn't the ONLY way just a common way (apparently). Considering the existence of the bug, its better to charge the phone with a computer or wall outlet instead.

Literally 100% of people I know with PS4s are being hit with this rest bug, me included. It is VERY widespread and not a small number. And yes, the only way to fix it is unplugging the console. If blinking orange means it's "in the process of going into rest mode", I guess that's a process that lasts 2-3 hours?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The rest mode bug just set in here. Oddly enough our PS4 was fine for five days after the update.

Last night, it crashes with pulsing orange light every time rest is activated. It still boots up fine after the hard safe mode restart. So I'm just shutting down fully until Sony fixes another one of their broken things.

Gamer345

Banned
this update really messed up my ps4, i haven't been using rest mode and today from completely turned off its just stuck on this screen:

tumblr_inline_negxzmcbUh1r3825d.png

its been like that for 10 minutes, i never had any problem with it before the update whatsoever but the other day it was unresponsive from rest mode so i pulled the chord and stopped using rest mode, now it won't even boot up from switched off and i'm reticent about pulling the chord again and messing it up smh

Why did you pull the plug when you could hold down the power button for some seconds for safe mode??

Gamer345

Banned
Literally 100% of people I know with PS4s are being hit with this rest bug, me included. It is VERY widespread and not a small number. And yes, the only way to fix it is unplugging the console. If blinking orange means it's "in the process of going into rest mode", I guess that's a process that lasts 2-3 hours?

Its the other way round for me, I am not having the problem and other people I know arent

So to say it is very widespread without back up information is ridiculous and again considering another set of people have fixed theirs after the freezing

Its the other way round for me, I am not having the problem and other people I know arent

So to say it is very widespread without back up information is ridiculous and again considering another set of people have fixed theirs after the freezing

Yeah I get it's entirely anecdotal, but when I can name 8 or 9 friends being affected by it it can't be coincidental. I'm glad not everyone was affected though! It's not a HUGE deal but it's very annoying.

warlock7

Neo Member
It isn't the ONLY way just a common way (apparently). Considering the existence of the bug, its better to charge the phone with a computer or wall outlet instead.

Sorry... It's the only way recommended by Sony. They do not make any recommendation to use third party devices or methods to charge their devices.

Gamer345

Banned
I see a lot of people attacking my posts.

At some point you get tired of excuses. People are still have issues with Friends List and Messages. That should have been corrected.

Time and again when Sony updates the FW we wonder if the console is going to be bricked or what is going to be broken.

This is the second major updates in months. I'm not saying there should be no bugs but damn. You expect them to take this long to release and update you almost expect them to iron out the kinks.

And yes when your competition is adding features monthly and features that everyone wants. Yes I will hold you to that standard. Just like we need to hold PSN to the standard of Xbox Live

I was the one that replied to you and I did not attack your post, you are having certain issues and you are frustrating, fine, but you claim the OS team is incompetent on this basis is a load of crap, Many other companies release firmware update with bugs

Lastly not everyone is having the same problem as you, some are not even having any problem

PSN is not the same as XBL, that is just it, holding it up to that standard wont change that fact, but we are talking about a software firmware uodate here not PSN, even some firmware update on Xbox has caused some problems, recently the preview update with COD

You dont even know the extent of the issue based on the OS archtecture, yet you seem to be assuming it will take a short period to fix it, another crap statement from your constant complaining

If you dont like the PS4 updates, then go get an XBox One, jeez

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So guys... I haven't run into the rest mode issue yet. Is there a way to prevent it?

Sony are looking into it so I'd advise that you don't use rest mode until they've fixed it. It's not a HUGE inconvenience and 2.0 has speeded up booting from cold (at least for me).

Ramza

Banned
So guys... I haven't run into the rest mode issue yet. Is there a way to prevent it?

I got it twice, both times with a disc in the system. Since I've been putting it into rest mode without a disc in the system, I haven't run into it once.

Aces&Eights

Sony are looking into it so I'd advise that you don't use rest mode until they've fixed it. It's not a HUGE inconvenience and 2.0 has speeded up booting from cold (at least for me).

I concur. I did the update on day one and did rest mode one time and got the blinking glitch. Been just turning it off ever since until there is a patch. Why some people would still attempt to use it and risk bricking their console is beyond me. If it works for some people, great! If it doesn't, as much of a inconvenience as it is, don't use rest mode imo. Anytime I have ever had to do the "pull the plug" thing and rebuild the data base I lose a few years off my life. Just not worth the stress.

vypek

Sorry... It's the only way recommended by Sony. They do not make any recommendation to use third party devices or methods to charge their devices.

Ah, that makes more sense. I think I might prefer 3rd party devices rather than a freezing issue but I also tend to sit close enough to charge while I play. Its unfortunate for people who tend to sit further. Maybe its would be good to try out a long USB cable

I got it twice, both times with a disc in the system. Since I've been putting it into rest mode without a disc in the system, I haven't run into it once.

Really? That is interesting. Maybe half implemented resume mode issue?

Ricky_R

Strangely enough, I've put it on rest mode a couple of times, but with a DVD inside, not a game nor a Bluray movie, and I haven't had any issues.

Anyway, will stand clear from rest mode for now.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
From the time I installed 2.0 until yesterday I had a Blu ray movie sitting in the PS4. No issues despite playing digital games daily and putting it in rest mode each time. Yesterday, I put in a disc based game, put it in rest mode and when I turned it on about 3 hours later, it wouldn't boot up. Just sat there pulsing orange.

You have all them problems? Or heard about them problems? I would be pissed if that lot happened to me. But for me PSN has been fine apart from the DDOS attacks.

Yep all of them and from what I've read it's pretty widespread.

Has nothing to do with my router or internets either as I have 150down/100up internets.

Achamian

It's happened to me twice out if approx twenty times going into rest mode. Both of these were before I ejected the disc that had been in the drive. After I did that no problems since and I have had in rest overnight or longer with no problems.

Also, fixed both of the times I had it by holding power button for about fifteen seconds.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I would love to see if Sony comes with a beta program for their firmware updates, like Microsoft with their program.

Oneself

I kept using rest mode only, since launch day, and had no problems until yesterday when I read about the bugs and decided to power it off completely. When I turned it on later in the evening, I had trouble with messages, couldn't take screenshots, couldn't bring the options menu to eject a disc or close an app, couldn't use the PS button to power off the console and couldn't even use the power button in the upper right menu. Had to hold the power button to shut it off... Ironically, Driveclub ran just fine all that time :)

FeiRR

Banned
It seems even worse to ignore something that could do potential damage. People are complaining along with problems of the blinking light yet more people continue to do it. Is the slight time advantage really that great to ignore the bug?

The problem doesn't affect me since I never used rest mode on purpose before but at this point, entering rest mode on purpose is trying to produce the bug. It only would make sense to do this if you're setting up a fix.
I'm not doing it because of time advantage but because it's working fine. But if I had the bug, I'd be curious to check what causes it. I used to beta test software so it's interesting for me. If there were beta tests for PS4 like X1 has, I'd immediately opt in.

angrygnat

Just an update. Right after the 2.0 update I wanted to try the new rest mode. So I shut the PS4 down to "rest". After a minute or so I tried to wake the PS4 with my controller that was plugged in. Wouldn't wake. Did the hard reset ok. So fast forward a few days to this morning. I ejected my TLOU. Boxed it up and got out my new COD AW. Started my account and was informed by my PS4 that I was 9 Gigs short of space for the install. Wtf! I know I have 100+gigs of space but whatever I'll play along. I start through the menus to see exactly how much space I have and the PS4 just shuts down. Like it was unplugged. So I restart it. It beeps but nothing. I go into the kitchen to let my wife know why I'm cursing so early in the morning. Go back hit the power button again and it boots up after it goes through the HD check. I check and the HD space is fine. AW shows that it's downloading ok. All is well. I guess. Not sure if these two issues are related but it's still very frustrating.

TalonJH

I would love to know why some people have problems and some don't. (Slightly different components maybe.) The only problem I've had was not being able to sign into Youtube but I was able to fix that my revoking access to PSN and signing in again. I pretty much exclusively use rest mode when turning off my PS4.

It sucks that people can't enjoy 2.0 how I have because Sony can't figure their shit out. Lot of cool small features like chroma key on the camera and the voice command "find face" now centers the camera on your face.

I'm not doing it because of time advantage but because it's working fine. But if I had the bug, I'd be curious to check what causes it. I used to beta test software so it's interesting for me. If there were beta tests for PS4 like X1 has, I'd immediately opt in.

Same

Just an update. Right after the 2.0 update I wanted to try the new rest mode.

I don't think there is anything new about the rest mode other than the name...and it not working for some people.

Tumle

FFS, why? There's even a message on screen telling you to wait. Blinking orange means the shutdown is in progress.

Now I understand why so many people have their systems fucked up.
Yea I have asked this question earlier in the thread but no reply..
I'm not saying all are working fine I just think some people are getting scared about the blinking orange light and think there ps4 is bricked :)

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Since the 2.0 update I have been having issues with my Pulse Headset having short dropouts. Audio occasionally drops and the dongle looks like it is searching for the device (it starts flashing) then the audio picks back up. At first I thought it was related to the USB music player, but it also occurred with just game audio and no other USB dongle inserted.

I never had any issues before 2.0 so I'm wondering if it is related. I will do further tests tonight as it could just be some weird issue related just to Shadow of Mordor.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Well, due to very unstable electrical grid here i rarely use sleep mode and I had issues with previous firmware versions with waking console up and zero problems since 2.0.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Happened to me the other day. The annoying this is, I knew about the problem and have been powering down completely since the patch, but when I quickly scrolled down to power off, I accidentally selected rest mode. Sure enough, it immediately started the yellow flashing after going into rest mode.

Had to hold the power button down for 10 seconds to reboot and rebuild database. Won't make that mistake again. Sony really need to get to work on this.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I followed the instructions on the guine pig thread and my PS4 works just fine and I always put it in rest mode so I'm grateful I didn't run into any issue.In case anyone wants to know yes I use my PS4 every day (got to do those FFXIV Dailys) so I'm a heavy user of my PS4 so it's not like I used it only once after the update.

Oh, I didnt know that. :) are there instructions for making a JP account anywhere?
http://tay.kotaku.com/you-can-play-ps4s-japanese-exclusives-right-now-here-1523908351

TalonJH

I followed the instructions on the guine pig thread and my PS4 works just fine and I always put it in rest mode so I'm grateful I didn't run into any issue.In case anyone wants to know yes I use my PS4 every day (got to do those FFXIV Dailys) so I'm a heavy user of my PS4 so it's not like I used it only once after the update.

Lol, why are you even typing when you should be doing your beastmen quest. FFXIV takes up way too much of my time. I usually boot another game and think, "I really should be playing XIV right now."

But yeah, I use rest everyday and haven't had any problems with it.

Top Bottom