• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Info Thread

If a demo were to happen at all, it would be nice if they just took the final demo build and condensed the hell out of it, giving you 1 cup to race through and only the original 12 racers shown at E3. That way it can keep things fresh when the actual game releases, rather than spoiling us.

But still... sliver of hope.
APPREHENSIVE HYPE

Albo

If they set the number of times you can use the demo to 10-5 times this shouldn't be a problem. Also, playing 4 tracks and knowing the full game has 32 + online? I don't see this hurting the sales, it could be a huge boost for the people that are on the fence.

Ah, that's true, forgot about that. A low use limit would solve that problem.

I was referring more to casual players who'd be satisfied with 4 free tracks for occasional couch parties but it doesn't matter now with the demo likely to have a limit (if the demo happens).

Exile20

This thing looks awesome
d5SCwtU.png

I can't wait to see all of the parts for the karts. May 30th where are you?

That's.. amazing. I hope they get really creative with all the parts you can equip. MK7's parts feel kind of boring tbh. I do like the moogle-looking glider in MK7, though. :p

MK7 gliders were super-disappointing since like half of them had the exact same stats as the other half. I hope there is more diversity this time around.

MK7 gliders were super-disappointing since like half of them had the exact same stats as the other half. I hope there is more diversity this time around.

Yeah, this is definitely something that bugged me. It almost felt like the glider you chose didn't matter one bit since there was barely any (if at all) difference between them. I guess it was mostly just a cosmetic item.

ffdgh

Nah there were differences. Peach parasol and Flower glider added accelleration and the best air handling, can stay in the air the longest, but no air speed. Parafoil and swooper glider added acceleration, slightly more air speed but slightly less air handling. Standard, Gold, and Beast gliders had the best air speed and slightly increase weight but had horrble air handling.

Nah there were differences. Peach parasol and Flower glider added accelleration and the best air handling, can stay in the air the longest, but no air speed. Parafoil and swooper glider added acceleration, slightly more air speed but slightly less handling. Standard, Gold, and Beast gliders had the best air speed and slightly increase weight but had horrble air handling.

Yeah, I remember the flower one controlling differently than the bigger ones.

Nah there were differences. Peach parasol and Flower glider added accelleration and the best air handling, can stay in the air the longest, but no air speed. Parafoil and swooper glider added acceleration, slightly more air speed but slightly less handling. Standard, Gold, and Beast gliders had the best air speed and slightly increase weight but had horrble air handling.

What I mean is that:

• Super Glider = Gold Glider = Beast Glider
• Peach Parasol = Flower Glider
• Swooper = Paraglider

The game had basically 3 different gliders, which is rather laughable

ffdgh

What I mean is that:

• Super Glider = Gold Glider = Beast Glider
• Peach Parasol = Flower Glider
• Swooper = Paraglider

The game had basically 3 different gliders, which is rather laughable

Oh well in that case yeah it was somewhat limited. Looks like 8 may fix that issue.

Nah there were differences. Peach parasol and Flower glider added accelleration and the best air handling, can stay in the air the longest, but no air speed. Parafoil and swooper glider added acceleration, slightly more air speed but slightly less air handling. Standard, Gold, and Beast gliders had the best air speed and slightly increase weight but had horrble air handling.

I guess it would help to switch between them occasionally. As soon as I unlocked the one that looks like a purple moogle, I kept using that one (because I love moogles). I know that isn't really what the glider is, but it's fairly close, lol. On the selection screen, most of the gliders I have right now do not change the stats at all (or very little) leading to my thought that they were mostly just a cosmetic thing.

BowieZ

Banned
The problem with more than 32 tracks is that people would expect 40/48 tracks in future entries too. Best to leave any extra tracks for DLC I say.

Super Circuit technically had 40 tracks (5 new cups plus all 5 original SMK cups).

I can see Iwata coyly revealing the 2 new cups in an upcoming Direct -- which reminds me, is there going to be another full-on Direct before May 30/E3??

I'm really happy the DK track from Mario Kart 7 is going to be in MK8. I love that track - possibly my favorite in the game. It's simple, but for some reason, very fun to race on.

I'm really happy the DK track from Mario Kart 7 is going to be in MK8. I love that track - possibly my favorite in the game. It's simple, but for some reason, very fun to race on.

This guy gets it.

It's like you made the post I would have almost exactly.

Yeah, the anti-grav part isn't that fancy but I even like that it leads you going fast downhill.

I would be satisfied with the tracks from 7 but I'm more than satisfied because of this one.

Caladrius

Super Circuit technically had 40 tracks (5 new cups plus all 5 original SMK cups).

I can see Iwata coyly revealing the 2 new cups in an upcoming Direct -- which reminds me, is there going to be another full-on Direct before May 30/E3??

The only two possibilities are a general direct this month or a Mario Kart-specific one the next.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So I suppose that ugly-ass red case is happening, isn't it? Maybe I'll buy some other WiiU game on the cheap and swap it out.

Anyway, I have Mario Kart 7, but haven't played it. Is it even worth hanging onto it? Mario Kart 8 seems so similar in every regard that I'm wondering if it's basically just a total replacement for MK7...

The only two possibilities are a general direct this month or a Mario Kart-specific one the next.

Even though we have seen a lot of Mario Kart footage, I'd be cool with an all Mario Kart Direct because I want to know what is up with Battle Mode.

I hope EAD doesn't black sheep it this time which of course is entirely possible.

I'd be cool with a general Direct as well which I think is more likely and will be fairly soon.

TheXbox

Have they said whether or not you can toggle/turn-off items in this game? So sick of bullshit Blue Shells and Bullet Bills in MK Wii/7.

Berordn

Have they said whether or not you can toggle/turn-off items in this game? So sick of bullshit Blue Shells and Bullet Bills in MK Wii/7.

It was confirmed that the item selection will be more in depth than it was in 7.

Its unlikely that it'll affect GP mode though.

So I suppose that ugly-ass red case is happening, isn't it? Maybe I'll buy some other WiiU game on the cheap and swap it out.

Anyway, I have Mario Kart 7, but haven't played it. Is it even worth hanging onto it? Mario Kart 8 seems so similar in every regard that I'm wondering if it's basically just a total replacement for MK7...

The main difference I see is the item hording in 7.

You can't get an item, drag it and then get a reserve item in 8(a change that I am really warming up on now) like you could in 7.

Other than that, while I don't think it renders the 3DS version obsolete, it's likely going to sit on the backburner for a while come May 30th.

It's a very good game though.

This guy gets it.

It's like you made the post I would have almost exactly.

Yeah, the anti-grav part isn't that fancy but I even like that it leads you going fast downhill.

I would be satisfied with the tracks from 7 but I'm more than satisfied because of this one.

Yeah, they chose the best track to bring back from MK7, definitely. Not that the other tracks aren't fun, but there's just something special about the DK track.

----

I'd love to have a Nintendo Direct made just for Mario Kart, but they have shown it off quite a bit recently, so I don't know if that's gonna happen. I'd love to see them show off the battle mode... and hopefully it isn't completely barebones. Bring back Bob-omb mode! :D

And bring back Mission Mode. No, I will not stop asking for it to return! :(

Nintendo could possibly make a ton of money with DLC with this game. I know I'd be buying tracks, parts, etc..

Yeah, they seem fairly reasonable with the DLC I have gotten from them too.

If they have DLC for games like Sonic World, I don't see why they wouldn't have any for a huge franchise like Mario Kart.

I don't know about parts but I'd definitely be into buying courses and characters.

Characters make the most sense as it doesn't affect anything and they'd be easier to put out there.

jnWake

I wonder how item customization will work in this game...

I know people want something like Smash's item options, but they aren't feasible in Mario Kart, because the item placement isn't random. For example, how would selecting only a rare item (like the Blue Shell) to appear work? Every item box contains a Blue Shell? Most item boxes come empty? It's weird to balance.

Berordn

I wonder how item customization will work in this game...

I know people want something like Smash's item options, but they aren't feasible in Mario Kart, because the item placement isn't random. For example, how would selecting only a rare item (like the Blue Shell) to appear work? Every item box contains a Blue Shell? Most item boxes come empty? It's weird to balance.

As long as everyone agrees to the rules beforehand, does balance even matter? It'll probably be like 7 where those rules are exclusive to communities and standard online play has the default itemset.

BowieZ

Banned
What about in addition to Mirror Mode is Reverse Mode! And Reverse Mirror Mode!

So you can play courses backwards, with some changes to launch pads etc, of course.

Kandinsky

Why would you need a demo to sell people on this game?

This may sound silly but I think a game like MK might result in sales lost. A lot of people play MK casually for occasional once in a while get togethers with friends or family, so why spend $60 when a demo with 3-4 tracks will do. Also some young kids that can't afford the game will be satisfied with playing the demo over and over. Saying, I would love it if we got one.

A 5 tries demos :p

ffdgh

So you can play courses backwards, with some changes to launch pads etc, of course.

Always wanted a reverse mode. A few track changes here and there and we have a winner!

Daouzin

This would be pretty awesome. I know Mirror Mode already adds a little extra chaos so having the other two modes would be sweet. On paper I think it sounds a little too unnecessary, but yeah it would be suhweet!

Mlatador

Banned
Unfortunately there will be some cool karts and parts that you'll never use because of their stats :(

Speaking of STATS <----- very important topic. As far as I know there will be a Mario Kart 8 Prima Guide available on May 30th.

If I remember correctly, they were the first to publish the "hidden stats" (the ones you can't see in the car-parts-select menu) of Mario Kart 7, so I really hope they're going to have them ready for MK8 in their guide as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0804163286/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Speaking of STATS <----- very important topic. As far as I know there will be a Mario Kart 8 Prima Guide available on May 30th.

If I remember correctly, they were the first to publish the "hidden stats" (the ones you can't see in the car-parts-select menu) of Mario Kart 7, so I really hope they're going to have them ready for MK8 in their guide as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0804163286/?tag=neogaf0e-20

230 pages for a Mario… Kart?

What the hell are they going to put in this guide lol.

Volotaire

This demo is not happening in my opinion. Nintendo spokespeople in my personal experience have just been PR (including the videos I have watched at press events) so that casts significant doubt on this already. Secondly, why would they need to convince the owners of the WIi U (which mostly compromise of Nintendo fans at the moment) to purchase a franchise they they know is coming out (due to the fact the Wii U population is mostly a Nintendo Direct watching population) and will purchase anyway due to the purchasing power of Mario Kart 8 amongst Nintendo fans. Lastly, there are no new ideas that Nintendo need to communicate to the Wii U owners that will significantly increase sales (the owners know what a Mario Kart game entails).

I just hope that every character has their own kart, and I'm not talking about the pipe ones.

There's most likely going to be over 30 characters so i can't see them doing that.

It'll probably be something like:

15-20 karts to choose from
5-10 wheel types
5-10 glider designs

ffdgh

There's most likely going to be over 30 characters so i can't see them doing that.

It'll probably be something like:

15-20 karts to choose from
5-10 wheel types
5-10 glider designs

That would be somewhat low. 7 has 17 kart bodies, 10 wheels, and 7 gliders if the gold parts are included.

8 also has bikes and buggys.

Mlatador

Banned
I just sold my Wii U and all of my games for it for some extra cash to help with bills etc. Watching this video really hurts. The graphics look so damn good on off screen videos like these. First post on Neogaf btw, been lurking for the past year and change.

Welcome & enjoy your time here! :) Hopefully things will improve financially-wise for you in the future. Kind of sucks that you had to sell your Wii U so close to the release of MK8 :(

Top Bottom