• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Info Thread

Mlatador

Banned
To people speculating about DLC.

I think good candiates for DLC are:

- All kinds of skins and gliders
- Arena packs for the Battle Mode

There won't be any additional car parts, because that would fuck up the balancing. Basically anything that would alter the balancing isn't gonna be there for DLC.

Same with the courses. Extra courses are not gonna happen I believe, because it would interfere with the online match making.

There won't be any additional car parts, because that would fuck up the balancing. Basically anything that would alter the balancing isn't gonna be there for DLC.

Same with the courses. Extra courses are not gonna happen I believe, because it would interfere with the online match making.

Well one of the examples you listed actually clashes with online matchmaking

Daouzin

You say this with a lot of confidence and I have no idea what you're basing it on? Can you give me a bone here?

Exile20

I was thinking free dlc.

Daouzin

I was thinking free dlc.

I think a few free DLC tracks that make a Free cup would be great to keep hype alive with a new track every other week for the first two months, but I think they should charge for them.

If they can see the revenue they can get from DLC tracks they can see how high the interest in and ideally this would lead to more DLC. It'd be awesome to end up with 4 additional cups from DLC. I think charging for DLC and seeing the interest could lead to that.

Mlatador

Banned
Well one of the examples you listed actually clashes with online matchmaking

You say this with a lot of confidence and I have no idea what you're basing it on? Can you give me a bone here?

Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think Nintendo will mess around with the core gaming experience from Mario Kart - the grand prix and it's different courses, especially concidering that online is gonna be a huge deal, like it was with MK Wii and MK8. There are millions of people playing those games online and you can get a full game all the time, 24/7. Why? Because you have one big pool of players.

With having extra courses as DLC, it isn't guaranteed that all the MK8 customers will automatically purchase it, so there will always be a good chunk of people not upgrading, which would devide the online community, as there would be 2 versions of MK8. One vanilla version and one upgraded version with the DLC course pack. This could potentially lead to longer waiting times for a match, especially if let's say 80% of all customers purchase the DLC course pack and 20% not. The 20% could only race against 20% of the Mk8 install base, which could mean no more smooth and instant match making because there would be less players to race against.

Also, how would it work with the Racing Points? Theoretically, depending on the difficulty of the new courses, the vanilla group could have an advantage if the new course were harder and were choosen more often in online matches. It could also be vise versa, so that the upgraded group would end up having an advantage. And what if the vanilla group decides to upgrade, would they keep their Racing Points or have to start over from scratch in the upgraded version?

Cosmetic changes like different gliders and shit could be handled like skin packs in fighting games.

New Arena's would work better as DLC because they are something outside of the core-gaming experience and, I believe, not as popular as the main race. However, I can't see into the future, but I just have the feeling, if there was DLC, then extra battle Arenas would be more likely than complete new racing courses.

EDIT:

I was thinking free dlc.

Well, obviously free DLC isn't a problem at all.

Exile20

Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think Nintendo will mess around with the core gaming experience from Mario Kart - the grand prix and it's different courses, especially concidering that online is gonna be a huge deal, like it was with MK Wii and MK8. There are millions of people playing those games online and you can get a full game all the time, 24/7. Why? Because you have one big pool of players.

With having extra courses as DLC, it isn't guaranteed that all the MK8 customers will automatically purchase it, so there will always be a good chunk of people not upgrading, which would devide the online community, as there would be 2 versions of MK8. One vanilla version and one upgraded version with the DLC course pack. This could potentially lead to longer waiting times for a match, especially if let's say 80% of all customers purchase the DLC course pack and 20% not. The 20% could only race against 20% of the Mk8 install base, which could mean no more smooth and instant match making because there would be less players to race against.

Also, how would it work with the Racing Points? Theoretically, depending on the difficulty of the new courses, the vanilla group could have an advantage if the new course were harder and were choosen more often in online matches. It could also be vise versa, so that the upgraded group would end up having an advantage. And what if the vanilla group decides to upgrade, would they keep their Racing Points or have to start over from scratch in the upgraded version?

Cosmetic changes like different gliders and shit could be handled like skin packs in fighting games.

New Arena's would work better as DLC because they are something outside of the core-gaming experience and, I believe, not as popular as the main race. However, I can't see into the future, but I just have the feeling, if there was DLC, then extra battle Arenas would be more likely than complete new racing courses.

EDIT:

Well, obviously free DLC isn't a problem at all.
Has Nintendo ever done dlc for online multiplayer games? They will either do it free or none at all.

Daouzin

Explanation.

I think that's a fair explanation, but I don't think it has to effect online play. I believe there are work arounds that other games have figured out at this point.

Nintendo is behind in the online department so I can see that still being an issue.

Has Nintendo ever done dlc for online multiplayer games? They will either do it free or none at all.

I really hope Nintendo can get past this for their sake.

I believe gamers outside of the Nintendo bubble and that follow the industry less will expect there to be some kind of DLC. Not to mention their ability to build hype around the game after it's released and keep it in people's mind for the holiday.

A Bundle in December with Smash 4, MK8 including all DLC Tracks and the system could be really compelling if they focus on keeping MK8 relevant as long as they can and then they wouldn't need to have a traditional price drop.

I really hope there is just a TON of kart pieces to pick from. It was a super neat idea in Mario Kart 7, but ended up feeling more limited than the selection of karts in Wii and DS because of how it was split up. Also, 40+ characters or bust!

And to not do some form of DLC for a game like this would be a massive missed opportunity. At the very least they should do some character DLC since they're pretty easy to make and would sell like hotcakes if they're cool characters.

If a game is going to be as good as this game seems like it will be, I don't get anyone that would be against optional DLC or free DLC.

I play the absolute fuck out of Mario Kart 7 and it's still a great, great time but I could just imagine a new course here or there every so often that would freshen things up and add even more longevity to the title.

I don't think optional things are ever bad even if they aren't totally necessary.

Brian Altano said it right on one of those Nintendo podcasts whatever; Nintendo's nature hasn't ever really been to release incomplete games(sure there are a few examples here and there of rush jobs).

This might be the best Mario Kart ever and we have seen almost every track and while it sure seems like a complete game, a few new courses down the road or character packs would just be even more goodness.

Is anyone else disappointed that Maple Treeway and Koopa Cape got used on Mario Kart 7? Those were the best tracks on MKWii and would have looked amazing in HD and with antigravity!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Is anyone else disappointed that Maple Treeway and Koopa Cape got used on Mario Kart 7? Those were the best tracks on MKWii and would have looked amazing in HD and with antigravity!

I would love to see Maple Treeway, Dino Dino Jungle, Waluigi Pinball and some tracks to be in Mario Kart 8. I'm pretty sure that they would be glorious in HD.

DaBoss

Well it does suck it won't be in MK8, but I'm glad they were chosen as MKWii retro courses for MK7 since they were a lot of fun.

That still leaves DK Summit which had amazing music along with a nice looking course.

Anson225

sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't search anything
any news if there's gonna be a bundled version like Zelda WW/NSMB?
if so would love to wait for that one and get the Wii U altogether
thanks!

AdanVC

sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't search anything
any news if there's gonna be a bundled version like Zelda WW/NSMB?
if so would love to wait for that one and get the Wii U altogether
thanks!

Just a rumor for the moment going around and only for Europe. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803010

Let's REALLY hope they confirm this and release it on America as well. It would be very smart and if it's priced correctly it could sell like pancakes.

Revven

Why wouldn't you just hope for more content on-disc?

People do want more on-disc content but there's a point where the developers have a deadline to reach and therefore cannot add any more content onto the disc. This is where DLC comes in.

But what separates Nintendo from other companies, in regard to DLC, is how they handle it. Their DLC is truly DLC, content that's not on the disc and wasn't made before the game gets released. Content that actually gets made after the game has come out. There's multiple examples of this for the games they've done DLC for, such as NSMB2, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, etc.

Nintendo does DLC right so asking for DLC from Nintendo doesn't take away time and resources during the development of the actual game -- Nintendo finishes their games fully before considering DLC and what kind of DLC would be good and is necessary. Where other companies typically do DLC alongside development of the main game, Nintendo legitimately separates the development and waits until the product is done before moving the team over to doing DLC (IF they see a good reason to do DLC).

So, the crying about "people asking for DLC already?" isn't warranted towards Nintendo. This is one of the few areas Nintendo does right compared to other development studios and publishers.

If you asked me three-four years ago if I wanted DLC for any of Nintendo's games, I would have immediately said "No." But now, based on what their philosophy is on DLC and because they have followed through on that philosophy, I trust them 100% of the way they can continue to deliver DLC in the proper way without ripping off consumers. I fully welcome any DLC for any of Nintendo's games -- if it's going to legitimately add content and longevity for the game.

Yagami_Sama

A bundle with Mario Kart 8 and another with Smash Bros. is a good move to increase the console sales. A new color would be cool too.
But so far, I more interested in that trophy they showed in for the Europe.

Draconian

I'll take Koopa Cape, but Maple Treeway can go away with Coconut Mall as far as I'm concerned.

Mlatador

Banned
I just had another Idea for a feature that I would like to see in MK8: the option to randomly pick a driver-kart-parts-combination. Sometimes I just feel like picking something I have never picked without thinking too much about it, so that would be the fastest way. It would also be usefull for multiplayer just for fun.

Roo

I just had another Idea for a feature that I would like to see in MK8: the option to randomly pick a driver-kart-parts-combination. Sometimes I just feel like picking something I have never picked without thinking too much about it, so that would be the fastest way. It would also be usefull for multiplayer just for fun.
Sounds like a great feature.
It would also help to test your racing skills no matter what combo you're using.

Now that you mention this, I would like to see a feature integrated into VS mode (so it doesn't affect the core game) where you could set the combo so you and the CPU use the same kart and parts.
Want to race against the CPU using nothing but standard kart? Pipe frame? ATV? Then do so.

I know it's impossible at this point but I like the idea :3

Mlatador

Banned
Sounds like a great feature.
It would also help to test your racing skills no matter what combo you're using.

Now that you mention this, I would like to see a feature integrated into VS mode (so it doesn't affect the core game) where you could set the combo so you and the CPU use the same kart and parts.
Want to race against the CPU using nothing but standard kart? Pipe frame? ATV? Then do so.

I know it's impossible at this point but I like the idea :3

Yeah, sounds good. Those are small things that would add some new, fresh elements & convience to the game.

Even if they don't make it into the game right away, I think something like that (just like my idea with the random picks) could be patched in later on.

Let's hope Nintendo reads this thread :3

If not, I think Miiverse could be a good platform to make some suggestions about future improvements.

People do want more on-disc content but there's a point where the developers have a deadline to reach and therefore cannot add any more content onto the disc. This is where DLC comes in.

Then ask for it after the game is out? Not before when they still haven't hit that deadline?

But what separates Nintendo from other companies, in regard to DLC, is how they handle it. Their DLC is truly DLC, content that's not on the disc and wasn't made before the game gets released. Content that actually gets made after the game has come out. There's multiple examples of this for the games they've done DLC for, such as NSMB2, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, etc.

Nintendo does DLC right so asking for DLC from Nintendo doesn't take away time and resources during the development of the actual game -- Nintendo finishes their games fully before considering DLC and what kind of DLC would be good and is necessary. Where other companies typically do DLC alongside development of the main game, Nintendo legitimately separates the development and waits until the product is done before moving the team over to doing DLC (IF they see a good reason to do DLC).

And how do you know that the content wasn't made before the game was released? Because you're taking their word for it?

Here's the thing about DLC: You will never know.

You will never know whether the content was made before or half-made before or made entirely after the release of the game. DLC is a model that keeps consumers entirely in the dark and puts all the power in the hands of the publisher. DLC is a model that favors ignorant consumers.

Roo

Then ask for it after the game is out? Not before when they still haven't hit that deadline?

And how do you know that the content wasn't made before the game was released? Because you're taking their word for it?

Here's the thing about DLC: You will never know.

You will never know whether the content was made before or half-made before or made entirely after the release of the game. DLC is a model that keeps consumers entirely in the dark and puts all the power in the hands of the publisher. DLC is a model that favors ignorant consumers.

At least with Mario Kart you know what to expect from it because there's a baseline/standard: 32 tracks, 5-10 stages, multiple characters, karts, modes. If we got less than that then yeah, it would be considered rushed/half-made.. like MK7 which lacked a lot of features.

Beyond that, I completely agree with you.

At least with Mario Kart you know what to expect from it because there's a baseline/standard: 32 tracks, 5-10 stages, multiple characters, karts, modes. If we got less than that then yeah, it would be considered rushed/half-made.. like MK7 which lacked a lot of features.

Beyond that, I completely agree with you.

You're right that Kart has a standard of 16+16 tracks. It just feels weird to me that gamers no longer say, "Wouldn't it be awesome if this time they went all out and gave us 40 tracks?!" Now we say, "Wouldn't it be awesome if they let us buy more stuff later?"

udivision

In a world in which most franchises get yearly or biyearly releases, waiting 6 years between console releases looses some of it's charm. At worst, DLC is a cash grab. We all know that. At best, it refreshes a game with new content without having to either go buy a new game for 60 dollars, or wait for another $300 console to hit the scene, and then wait some more for a sequel to that game you want.

69wpm

According to a user on Reddit Nintendo might throw a MK8 demo at us:

Just wanted to let everyone know some news I heard over the weekend. I was at WonderCon in Anaheim this weekend and Nintendo was there again like last year. They had about 4-5 Mario Kart 8 demo's set up with people using the Wii U gamepad or the Wiimote.
One of the ladies manning the Nintendo booth said there will be a Mario Kart 8 demo coming up on Wii U that has more than the 3 tracks they had on demo at WonderCon. So assuming a Nintendo employee knows what they're talking about, there should be a new Mario Kart 8 demo available for download on the Wii U soon. She said that she did not know when this demo will be released.

Take it with a huge grain of salt. Although we did get a demo for TW101 a month before release and also Sonic Lost World. Nintendo has been releasing demos for some 3DS games too.

Bert

So excited for this, pre-ordered the limited edition with blue shell from Nintendo, this is the game I got a Wii U for.

Actually, I haven't played it apart from SM3DW since PIkmin and Wonderful 101 came out. Anything I should check out to warm my Wii U up?

I don't want DLC, if anything I can see them moving to a Wii Sports type deal where you can buy tracks (or maybe Cups) and characters, or rent the lot for a night. I can see that being the future for a lot of Nintendo games, and hopefully it helps with software flow with such a small dev capacity. Keep Mario/Zelda/Metroid/etc for the tentpole releases and have a service for Sports, Kart, Smash, and other party games.

histopher

They should but won't do DLC tracks. Sad thing is that half of the tracks in each game end up being a waste. The first two cups in each mode are always made up of boring levels and I rarely want to play them.

Top Bottom