• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel shares new info about their console plans, Spider-Man will be ongoing series

ramparter

Banned
They specifically say the future of it is with Sony and Insomniac, so probably not.
Lets just hope this only applies to Spiderman. I never cared for movie tie ins but great Marvel hero games (arkham series quality) would be a dream come true. They seem to understand what gamers want, cant wait for more.

Neoxon

Neoxon thirsty for that MvC4. So very thirsty.

pls Capcpom
MvC1 was my first video game ever (which introduced me to Marvel & Capcom's universes), & my PS3 copy of UMvC3 (as laggy as it is when things get hectic) is my last living reminder of the friend from high school (may he rest in peace) who went out of his way to buy it for me the night it came out. You can understand why I feel so passionate about the franchise.

Neoxon

How about those Def Jam games made by AKI? Those were pretty sweet and would probably work with the Marvel license.

I know it's been a while since we've had a game like that but surely it can work in the right hands.

Sure Capcom fighting games can sell and are safe but they are not a sure hit. It's not like everything Capcom touches turns to gold and I'd rather see something else from the next Marvel fighting game.
But as far as fighting games go, Capcom has had more hits than misses. And even then, what you're arguing for is different enough from Capcom's brand of fighting games that we could have both.

How about those Def Jam games made by AKI? Those were pretty sweet and would probably work with the Marvel license.

I know it's been a while since we've had a game like that but surely it can work in the right hands.

Sure Capcom fighting games can sell and are safe but they are not a sure hit. It's not like everything Capcom touches turns to gold and I'd rather see something else from the next Marvel fighting game.

Is Aki even still around? I would rather them make a new Def Jam game rather than a Marvel game tbh. If Marvel is being serious about giving the game the time and budget needed then Capcom can get it right but when its being rushed like SF5 then its a toss up.

Neoxon

Is Aki even still around? I would rather them make a new Def Jam game rather than a Marvel game tbh. If Marvel is being serious about giving the game the time and budget needed then Capcom can get it right but when its being rushed like SF5 then its a toss up.
Capcom only rushed SFV because of the Capcom Pro Tour & the end of their fiscal year. Since the CPT already has its marquee game & Marvel now operating differently when it comes to deadlines than they used to during the (U)MvC3 days, Capcom would probably take their time with MvC4.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Spiderman being in Sony consoles is tied up with their movie rights.

It might have been something they agreed to when they agreed to have marvel take creative control of Spiderman back.
Far as I'm aware the people responsible for the original SM series are the ones making Homecoming
Even the main guy behind original SM is head of Marvel Studios too.
So it's not like the it's actually change hands compared to Sonys original Spider-Man series.
Everyone who work on them are now making Homecoming.

I do hope they throw MS a bone at some point. I feel kind of bad for them over this Spiderman announcement, haha. Though it probably has moreso to do with Sony's connection with Spiderman than anything else...

Very exciting, though. Can't wait to see what Telltale cooks up, and what partnerships come up afterwards. I'd love to see some of their projects hit the PC side of things, as well.

Packy

As a massive Marvel nerd, I would love to see quite a few things happen in regards to their console video game projects:

1st: Bring Marvel Heroes 2016 to the PS4 and Xbox One. Love it on the PC, but would rather play in on a console with party chat.

2nd: Make a game in the same vein as X-Men Legends and/or Marvel Ultimate Alliance. A nice co-op action game with a wide variety of characters and an emphasis on team work and combining skills/abilities. Perhaps it could use a major story arc as the foundation: The Infinity Gauntlet, Age of Apocalypse, Secret Invasion, etc.

3rd: Put together an open world Jessica Jones game, set exclusively in Hell's Kitchen, that has an action RPG feel to it. Part adventure game, part morality dilemma, and part action beat 'em up.

4th: A Punisher game that focused on a risk/reward paradigm, where the player could plan elaborate and stealth like ways to obtain the mission objectives, or could go with a more direct "balls to the walls"/"shock and awe" style of over the top action, machine guns and explosions everywhere. Ultimately it would be a game of choices and brutal action - Frank Castle style.

Also, I'd like to see Insomniac play with Miles Morales' Spider-Man and Spider-Gwen as well.

There are countless more ideas one could have, as Marvel has a huge universe to play with. These just represent where I'd like to see them venture in the near future.

Neoxon

Fox own X-men, that's why mutants are called inhumans in the Marvel universe
Marvel can use the X-Men in their own games if they want to. The problem is that they don't want to since they don't want to promote Fox material.

Capcom only rushed SFV because of the Capcom Pro Tour & the end of their fiscal year. Since the CPT already has its marquee game & Marvel now operating differently when it comes to deadlines than they used to during the (U)MvC3 days, Capcom would probably take their time with MvC4.

Yea I have a feeling if Marvel 4 came out now it would be great. We already know they do the characters justice I mean they put M.O.D.O.K in a fighting game and I never thought that could happen. Just add some story mode and expand Heroes and Heralds, a proper tutorial, Vs Cpu, and Survival and we got a hit for sure.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Marvel can use the X-Men in their own games if they want to. The problem is that they don't want to since they don't want to promote Fox material.
That's one way to put it.

Neoxon

Yea I have a feeling if Marvel 4 came out now it would be great. We already know they do the characters justice I mean they put M.O.D.O.K in a fighting game and I never thought that could happen. Just add some story mode and expand Heroes and Heralds, a proper tutorial, Vs Cpu, and Survival and we got a hit for sure.
But the problem is, as stated earlier, the likelihood of Capcom taking the fall for the lack of X-Men & Fantastic Four characters. After what happened with SFV's rocky start, Capcom would be an easy scapegoat for the whole situation for those who don't know about Marvel's shady business practices & the recent ban.

That being said, I could see Capcom doing a re-release of UMvC3 on PS4 & PC to inject a little more life into that game for the FGC to buy time for MvC4 to be made.

Sesha

Capcom's CEO has told their shareholders at least that they're going to give games more dev time to make them more feature complete before release. They underestimated that people would just accept their Early Access-type strategy.

Clawww

BNkQ6b8CAAA_D42.jpg

maybe just port UMVC3, at least

Neoxon

I'm almost certain there's no problem. A new direction is better suited to Marvel at this point. And Capcom's track record with fighting games as of late isn't so hot. Best they stay the hell away from Marvel.
Again, the combat itself is fantastic (the main problem with SFV is the lack of content, which will be fixed going forward), & Capcom has proven that they know what they're doing with Marvel IPs. And with the Capcom Pro Tour already has SFV as its main game plus Capcom moving away from rushing games out for the end of their fiscal year, there wouldn't be much to worry about in terms of Capcom rushing out MvC4.

JimiNutz

Banned
But as far as fighting games go, Capcom has had more hits than misses. And even then, what you're arguing for is different enough from Capcom's brand of fighting games that we could have both.

Yeah Capcom are definitely the safe bet. I just want something different as well, but you're right there is probably room for both.

I have no idea about AKI. Was thinking that another dev could use those games as inspiration though. Who they would use I don't know but Iron Galaxies work on KI shows that you don't always have to have a great pedigree behind you to make something successful.

Granted I know Marvel wants to partner with big devs with proven track records so not sure who they would use for such a game.
I remember EA were making a Marvel fighting game a while ago (think it was the Fight Night devs) and that was a similar sort of thing to what I have in mind (but obviously need to be more polished because what I saw of it looked pretty rough).

KingJ2002

Jay Ong has done two more interviews about Marvel's upcoming plans:
http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/16/j...-return-to-blockbuster-games-with-spider-man/
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-15-spider-man-leads-marvels-epic-new-console-strategy

Summary:
  • Jay's team is specifically focused on console-style games for Marvel. The mobile and social stuff is already hitting it out of the park, so his group is dedicated to making their console games great again.
  • Insomniac/Sony's Spider-Man series will be the only console Spider-Man series going forward. They want to find excellent teams and then dedicate the IPs to them so they can focus on quality. That's not to say Spider-Man can't be in a cross-over game, but you won't see something like Activision console Spider-Man games coming out alongside these. Jay explicitly says "The future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac."
  • Movie tie-in games are over for Marvel. This is the same as their mobile strategy. All games will be given lengthy development cycles with all the budget they need and have no concerns about hitting a specific date tied to a movie/comic book/whatever. Marvel is very clear that developers cannot be rushed or underfunded if they're going to make great games.
  • That said, Jay notes that on the mobile side, the games tend to have tie-in events when films or certain initiatives like Women of Marvel launch. He doesn't explicitly commit to this happening on the console side, since it probably varies a lot per game, but don't be super shocked if you have downloadable skins or DLC for a game when a movie or comic book initiative comes out, especially if it's a living product.
  • When asked about whether Marvel's console games will have cross-overs and cameos like the films do, he states "The world's full of surprises. You never know."
  • Jay notes that in the past, they used to take about 30% of console game opportunities that are presented to them. These days it's more like 10%.
  • He's also clear that Marvel will only work with developers who they think will make excellent, top tier titles instead of just "good" games. So far their two publicly announced partners are Insomniac and Telltale. He speaks very fondly of the LEGO games, but IIRC that's run out of the mobile licensing division.
  • Marvel will also only work with developers who are clearly very excited about the IP itself instead of just the IP's money making potential. He notes that he can usually tell within the first 30 seconds if someone is actually passionate about the IP in question.
  • There's an implication that the publishing partner is also important to them. I imagine this is especially true for retail games.
  • Jay mentions that the success of the films and the success of their top mobile games, along with the break away from the movie game model, has resulted in way more developers being interested in working with them. He mentions that developers have even gotten more open to the idea during his two year tenure as titles like Marvel: Contest of Champions have crossed $200 million.
  • As for working with Insomniac specifically, Jay mentions that they're only 10 minutes away from the studio and 10 minutes away from Sony as well, so that they're in contact every day, which they think is very helpful for getting their new initiative going well. They also openly admit that Spider-Man is the most commercially successful superhero so they're more than happy to start with him.
  • Jay notes they have several other console games in development that will be revealed over the upcoming years. I probably wouldn't expect an immediate impending announcement (beyond perhaps unveiling Telltale's game) since he wasn't teasing any more reveals soon.

So with this I can imagine he's establishing a universe similar to the movies... a sort of Marvel Game Universe (MGU) which is seperate from the movies and only draws inspiration from the comic books.

I can dig it.

I also dig the need for quality experiences... the arkham series is still the best superhero titles ever released. I hope insomniac challenges this with Spiderman.

With all this said... gonna need that Marvel vs. Capcom 4 tho.

AmuroChan

Which seems very narrow-minded if true. Marvel still owns the X-Men comics and toys. It's crazy that they would sacrifice promoting their own X-Men stuff just to give Fox the middle-finger.

Big Nikus

BioWare was toying around with a X-Men RPG concept before they were contacted to make a Star Wars game. That obvioulsy won't happen but I'd be down for a big budget A-RPG in the Marvel universe.

kurahador

So with this I can imagine he's establishing a universe similar to the movies... a sort of Marvel Game Universe (MGU) which is seperate from the movies and only draws inspiration from the comic books.

I can dig it.

I also dig the need for quality experiences... the arkham series is still the best superhero titles ever released. I hope insomniac challenges this with Spiderman.

With all this said... gonna need that Marvel vs. Capcom 4 tho.

Does that mean the Telltale game won't be MCU? I'm fine with that.

Neoxon

Which seems very narrow-minded if true. Marvel still owns the X-Men comics and toys. It's crazy that they would sacrifice promoting their own X-Men stuff just to give Fox the middle-finger.
This is everything I was able to dig up on the ban. I posted this already in Page 2 of this thread, but it's been long enough in that some may not want to back-track.
Marvel legally has the rights to give developers access to their entire cast of characters thanks to Activision's hold on certain franchises (the X-Men for example) expiring back in 2014. The only license Activision has left is the Spider-Man movie tie-in license, which expires next year. This isn't a matter of Marvel not being able to use X-Men & Fantastic Four characters, it's the fact that they don't want to. Marvel's been trying to minimize the exposure of the X-Men & the Fantastic Four in an attempt to lower the popularity of both properties (which would in turn screw over Fox). Within the last few years, Marvel has had a bit of a feud with 20th Century Fox over the properties they still hold the movie rights for (the X-Men & the Fantastic Four). It grew to the point where, after the release of Marvel: Contest of Champions (the mobile Injustice knock-off by Kablam), Marvel imposed a complete ban on all X-Men & Fantastic Four characters in games made after Contest of Champions. One of the first victims of the ban was Marvel Mighty Heroes, whose developer (DeNA) had this to say on the matter.

mmh.png

To clarify what this ban means....
  • As stated earlier, all new games made after Contest of Champions are not allowed to use any X-Men & Fantastic Four characters. This includes the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Cyclops, Jean Grey/Phoenix, X-23, Storm, Magneto, Super-Skrull, Sentinel, & more.
  • Games made before the ban with active contracts, like Marvel Heroes (the PC MMO), can add whoever they want until their current contracts expires (Ex: Gazillion's existing contract with Marvel expires in 2019).
  • Remasters &/or ports of older games can be re-released untouched (Ex: The Deadpool remaster for PS4 & XB1).
  • The Maximoff Twins, Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) & Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff), are only allowed on a case-by-case basis (Ex: Lego Marvel's Avengers). Only their comic book & MCU incarnations can be used in the event that Marvel allows a developer to use one or both of the Twins, & zero references to their X-Men history can be made. They've also been banned from games more times than not, but their inclusion in certain games isn't impossible.
As for the timeline on how this has affected post-CoC games...
  • Avengers Alliance 2: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Avengers Academy: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Lego Marvel's Avengers: The Maximoff Twins are present, No X-Men, No Fantastic Four
  • Marvel Mighty Heroes: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Marvel Future Fight: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
I hope this clears things up a bit.

Can you name another developer with both the capacity and capability to make a worthy Marvel fighting game?

Nope. There isn't one. But I don't even want a fighting game out of this initiative. It's been done. Games with great stories that are repsentative of their characters would be great.

Everyone is really hung up on the idea of a Marvel fighting game.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

In an interview about the upcoming Spider-Man, they said they look at everything that Spider-Man appeared in (Merchandise, Comics, Movies, cartoons....)

Anyone else like the idea of Obsidian doing a RPG game, maybe avengers (as x-men is a nogo) or something?

Neoxon

Nope. There isn't one. But I don't even want a fighting game out of this initiative. It's been done. Games with great stories that are repsentative of their characters would be great.

Everyone is really hung up on the idea of a Marvel fighting game.
Nothing's wrong with a great fighting game franchise being made in addition to story-driven games. There's no reason why we can't have both.

Top Bottom