• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel shares new info about their console plans, Spider-Man will be ongoing series

Neoxon

The thought of more MvC grosses me out at this point. If Marvel has a new lease on its own life when it comes to video games, why not try a bunch of new shit? I personally hope they stay as far from Capcom as possible this time around.
Why? Capcom makes some of the best fighting games in the business (single-player content aside), & their games actually last in the competitive scene. And as proven by the MvC games themselves, Capcom has a genuine love for the Marvel Universe (hell, they can design Rocket better than half of the people at Marvel). In short, Capcom still has some of the best Marvel games to date right now under their belt.

It will, as Marvel seems way more committed this time to have top-tier output when it comes to video games. I wonder if it has anything to do with how they're initiating their Phase 3 (Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, etc) of the MCU.
FTFY, they're likely saving the Ms. Marvel name for Kamala Khan.

Sesha

There's already a social media campaign for MvC4, so a UMvC3 remaster likely wouldn't be far off in terms of what the FGC may rally for.

Hope so. MvC4 is a big ask. A remaster at least lines up with Capcom's stated plans for more remasters.

The thought of more MvC grosses me out at this point. If Marvel has a new lease on its own life when it comes to video games, why not try a bunch of new shit? I personally hope they stay as far from Capcom as possible this time around.

Can you name another developer with both the capacity and capability to make a worthy Marvel fighting game?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
If Sony is Marvel's middle man for finding developers I think we can could on Ninja Theory and even Ready at Dawn. Just imagine what they could do with Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Punisher or just about anyone.

Tiberius

Generally speaking, publishers aren't going to take high performing, at-capacity teams and put them on a licensed IP instead.

If you want hints for who might be working on Marvel games, look for:
1.) Independent developers who don't have an obvious project.
2.) Game developers who are working on failing series.
3.) Studios that have recently added a new team without an obvious project to put them on.

Speculating Guerrilla Games is not a good guess given they're overwhelmingly on Horizon and have already explicitly confirmed more Killzone is coming. Similarly there's zero incentive for Rockstar, a studio whose games sell 60+ million copies, to work on a licensed product.

You want to look at developers like Sumo or Ninja Theory or maybe someone like Ubisoft Toronto who has a ton of staff, but not a lot of obvious games.
So like sucker punch ?

Neoxon

If Sony is Marvel's middle man for finding developers I think we can could on Ninja Theory and even Ready at Dawn. Just imagine what they could do with Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Punisher or just about anyone.
Or Capcom, given Sony's relationship with them & Sony's desire to maintain their death-grip on the FGC.

Peterpan

I think Capcom, Ready at Dawn and Platinum Games would be candidates for this deal.
I am a maybe on Platinum Games. Comic book heroes are more than fast paced combat and until Platinum Games show they more than that I will say no. Of course that depends on the hero, on games like Iron Man, hell no. We will see with Scalebound I suppose, if they more than combat. I haven't played Wonderful 101 so maybe there's that. If someone wants to correct me, that's cool.

ZeroCDR

Hope so. MvC4 is a big ask. A remaster at least lines up with Capcom's capacity (as they may might not want or have the ability to make another fighting game atm) and their stated plans for more remasters.

MvC collection to generate hype and funding for MvC4? :)

Sephzilla

I'd rather not.

Ms. Marvel is something I think Telltale could do pretty well (which is a limited pool).

Focus a lot on her dialogue and her interactions and wacky situations with occasional action.

Cometh the Marvel Game Universe(MGU), and I'm damn glad it's kicking off. They'll look to make damn fine games, if there movie business is anything to go by.

Happy to see they are focusing on a quality level that mirrors there films.

You mean this?

c9TGc.jpg
More so the idea than the execution, but yeah.

Neoxon

Ms. Marvel is something I think Telltale could do pretty well (which is a limited pool).

Focus a lot on her dialogue and her interactions and wacky situations with occasional action.
But again, isn't the rumor that Telltale is working on Guardians? If it's not GotG, then Ms. Marvel would be my top choice for them.

JimiNutz

Banned
My beef with the series is that I literally cannot play them.

I got MvC3 day 1, and I spent hours practicing my combos in the training room and playing through Arcade Mode with various characters.

Then the first time I played another person, I barely got a hit in because all the chaos on screen was so distracting and he was able to take out each of my 3 characters with like 2 combos each. It was the most frustrating defeat in my history of playing video games, and I realized that I am literally incapable of playing this series. I legitimately don't understand how anybody can play the game without like 500 hours of committing combos to muscle memory and also the reflexes of the fucking Flash.

Whereas with Injustice, I was able to actually get somewhat competent.

So that's why I say, "I want Injustice with Marvel characters," and not, "I want Marvel Super Heroes 2." I'd prefer it not be made by Capcom at all, really, as I think a lot of Capcom's move sets for Marvel characters are stupid and I'd rather see these characters redesigned from the ground up with a fresh perspective than made by people who feel obligated to use existing move sets just because they're 20 years old.

I agree.
I think the next Marvel fighting game needs to be more accessible to people that don't really play fighting games.

I actually think it would be better suited to like an arena brawler - more like Power Stone or Smash Bros.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So Spider-Man is basically a Playstation series IP, wow
That's big.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So like sucker punch ?

Infamous has some success, but it isn't knocking it out of the park and did badly enough for them to lay off significant parts of the staff, so yes, that's a good example.

I'm not sure if they are, but studios like those are on the right track.

Similarly you saw Visceral converted over to a Star Wars studio at EA since neither Dead Space nor Battlefield spin-offs were working out great for them, and Star Wars helped them attract more talent and put out something likely to sell better. DICE in comparison only worked on Battlefront because they had a spare team, and weren't even expected to do so when EA was first discussing the deal.

Neoxon

I agree.
I think the next Marvel fighting game needs to be more accessible to people that don't really play fighting games.

I actually think it would be better suited to like an arena brawler - more like Power Stone or Smash Bros.
But every attempt at a Smash rip-off has been a failure, so I'm not sure if Marvel should even bother. The traditional style of fighting games made by Capcom have proven to be a success in the past. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But again, isn't the rumor that Telltale is working on Guardians? If it's not GotG, then Ms. Marvel would be my top choice for them.

Then, again, just hand Kamala to DONTNOD. Say what you will about Life is Strange, but you can't deny that Kamala Khan would be a perfect fit for the dev.

I agree.

Its not like there can't be more than 1 Marvel fighting game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Question is will MS be making a Marvel game or will the rest be multiplatform or does Sony have another Marvel IP?

I don't think Sony will ever put one of their own first parties on a licensed IP, they clearly like to own what they fund. Also don't think Sony begged Marvel for Spider-man, absolutely gagging for it, the deal just seems all kinds of weird

Spider-Man is a big franchise but I don't think the games sold well, even the ones that weren't shit. Very surprising that Sony are even bothering with this, it looks big budget for a game which will probably sell a couple million if that. Hope Insomniac are safe either way, they're a great studio.

Also thank fuck Sucker Punch aren't working on this, I want more infamous or anything not Spider-Man.

Spiderman being in Sony consoles is tied up with their movie rights.

It might have been something they agreed to when they agreed to have marvel take creative control of Spiderman back.

I thought the Wolverine was surprisingly fun. I think that (the superhero) deserves another shot tbh.

Although I feel Wolverine should be M Rated because a hero with blades should be cutting shit up.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think Sony will ever put one of their own first parties on a licensed IP, they clearly like to own what they fund. Also don't think Sony begged Marvel for Spider-man, absolutely gagging for it, the deal just seems all kinds of weird

Spider-Man is a big franchise but I don't think the games sold well, even the ones that weren't shit. Very surprising that Sony are even bothering with this, it looks big budget for a game which will probably sell a couple million if that. Hope Insomniac are safe either way, they're a great studio.

Also thank fuck Sucker Punch aren't working on this, I want more infamous or anything not Spider-Man.
Way back in the day Spider-Man games were very successful, but the floor fell out from under the licensed games market.

I do think Sony (and often publishers in general) would gravitate toward publishing external teams for something like this unless one of their internal teams doesn't have great options.

Neoxon

Give it to Konami. They don't have shit on their plate. They'll make the pachinko she deserves.
I get that you're being sarcastic, but one would think that Marvel would get her a genuine game given the massive push for Captain Marvel in other forms of media to be Marvel's Wonder Woman.

Neoxon

I thought the Wolverine was surprisingly fun. I think that (the superhero) deserves another shot tbh.

Although I feel Wolverine should be M Rated because a hero with blades should be cutting shit up.
But thanks to the X-Men/F4 ban, no post-CoC game is allowed to feature the likes of Wolverine.

JimiNutz

Banned
But every attempt at a Smash rip-off has been a failure, so I'm not sure if Marvel should even bother. The traditional style of fighting games made by Capcom have proven to be a success in the past. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

How about those Def Jam games made by AKI? Those were pretty sweet and would probably work with the Marvel license.

I know it's been a while since we've had a game like that but surely it can work in the right hands.

Sure Capcom fighting games can sell and are safe but they are not a sure hit. It's not like everything Capcom touches turns to gold and I'd rather see something else from the next Marvel fighting game.

Its not like there can't be more than 1 Marvel fighting game.

Yes this is true also.

Top Bottom