• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel shares new info about their console plans, Spider-Man will be ongoing series

Neoxon

A goddamn shame if it's all going to be Sony and not multiplatform. At the end of the day it won't matter though, because eventually i will own all the consoles.
Only Insomniac's series of Spider-Man games will be PS4-only. There's hope for the other
non-X-Men/F4
franchises & Marvel-wide games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally speaking, publishers aren't going to take high performing, at-capacity teams and put them on a licensed IP instead.

If you want hints for who might be working on Marvel games, look for:
1.) Independent developers who don't have an obvious project.
2.) Game developers who are working on failing series.
3.) Studios that have recently added a new team without an obvious project to put them on.

Speculating Guerrilla Games is not a good guess given they're overwhelmingly on Horizon and have already explicitly confirmed more Killzone is coming. Similarly there's zero incentive for Rockstar, a studio whose games sell 60+ million copies, to work on a licensed product.

You want to look at developers like Sumo or Ninja Theory or maybe someone like Ubisoft Toronto who has a ton of staff, but not a lot of obvious games.

F4r0_Atak

I wonder what this means for the future of Ratchet and Clank.

To me... this:

Oculus VR TItles > Sunset Overdrive 2? > Spider-Man > Ratchet and Clank 2 > More Oculus VR Titles > Spider-Man sequel > Ratchet and Clank 3 > and so on...

Unless they get a deal for a DC or another Marvel property.

It's less about finding the good developers, but more "which publisher will actually invest a shit-load of money into the Marvel games"

Activision, as rich as they were, wasn't that partner for Spidey. They were not investing Call of Duty level resources into Spiderman.

Apparently Sony was somehow the partner that was willing to open their wallets.

Owning the movie rights probably has a good deal to do with that. Even without the game tying into the movie, having Spider-Man be a high profile character in so many facets of entertainment (movies, video games, comincs, animated TV) can only be a good thing for the gross of any Spider-Man movie.

KevinCow

Banned
I honestly don't get your beef with the MvC games.

My beef with the series is that I literally cannot play them.

I got MvC3 day 1, and I spent hours practicing my combos in the training room and playing through Arcade Mode with various characters.

Then the first time I played another person, I barely got a hit in because all the chaos on screen was so distracting and he was able to take out each of my 3 characters with like 2 combos each. It was the most frustrating defeat in my history of playing video games, and I realized that I am literally incapable of playing this series. I legitimately don't understand how anybody can play the game without like 500 hours of committing combos to muscle memory and also the reflexes of the fucking Flash.

Whereas with Injustice, I was able to actually get somewhat competent.

So that's why I say, "I want Injustice with Marvel characters," and not, "I want Marvel Super Heroes 2." I'd prefer it not be made by Capcom at all, really, as I think a lot of Capcom's move sets for Marvel characters are stupid and I'd rather see these characters redesigned from the ground up with a fresh perspective than made by people who feel obligated to use existing move sets just because they're 20 years old.

Neoxon

Generally speaking, publishers aren't going to take high performing, at-capacity teams and put them on a licensed IP instead.

3.) Studios that have recently added a new team without an obvious project to put them on.

Speculating Guerrilla Games is not a good guess given they're overwhelmingly on Horizon and have already explicitly confirmed more Killzone is coming. Similarly there's zero incentive for Rockstar, a studio whose games sell 60+ million copies, to work on a licensed product.

You want to look at developers like Sumo or Ninja Theory or maybe someone like Ubisoft Toronto who has a ton of staff, but not a lot of obvious games.
That actually brings up an interesting question about Capcom. Obviously the Street Fighter guys are doing Street Fighter V, Itsuno is working on god-knows-what (hopefully DMC5), & NeoG is over at SNK now. But whatever happened to Niitsuma & Eighting?

damn, sounds like they are really serious this time. they finally giving the respect a lot of their IP's deserve in the video game format.

ill pray the gods for the day i see an Iron Man game

That actually brings up an interesting question about Capcom. Obviously the Street Fighter guys are doing Street Fighter V, Itsuno is working on god-knows-what (hopefully DMC5), & NeoG is over at SNK now. But whatever happened to Niitsuma & Eighting?

Clearly working on Tatsunoko vs Capcom 2 or something right?

Right? :(

Neoxon

My beef with the series is that I literally cannot play them.

I got MvC3 day 1, and I spent hours practicing my combos in the training room and playing through Arcade Mode with various characters.

Then the first time I played another person, I barely got a hit in because all the chaos on screen was so distracting and he was able to take out each of my 3 characters with like 2 combos each. It was the most frustrating defeat in my history of playing video games, and I realized that I am literally incapable of playing this series. I legitimately don't understand how anybody can play the game without like 500 hours of committing combos to muscle memory and also the reflexes of the fucking Flash.

Whereas with Injustice, I was able to actually get somewhat competent.

So that's why I say, "I want Injustice with Marvel characters," and not, "I want Marvel Super Heroes 2." I'd prefer it not be made by Capcom at all, really, as I think a lot of Capcom's move sets for Marvel characters are stupid and I'd rather see these characters redesigned from the ground up with a fresh perspective than made by people who feel obligated to use existing move sets just because they're 20 years old.
But the point still stands that Capcom has the most experience with Marvel characters & have proven that they can do them justice. And, again, it's not like NRS would make a Marvel game when they already have DC to work with (Lego Marvel is due to the Lego license, before you bring that up). The only other candidates would be Arc System Works, Namco, & Team Ninja (but Team Ninja's deal with Marvel apparently fell through).

Also, your experience is what happens when you go straight for a more experienced player. You can't expect a level playing field if the skill margin between you two is hella wide. That's what online matchmaking is for if you're at home. But for locals, try finding fellow newbies or mid-tier players to help you level up. The UMvC3 combos aren't as hard as they look.

To me... this:

Oculus VR TItles > Sunset Overdrive 2? > Spider-Man > Ratchet and Clank 2 > More Oculus VR Titles > Spider-Man sequel > Ratchet and Clank 3 > and so on...

Unless they get a deal for a DC or another Marvel property.

There is a lot of speculation but assuming they turn our quality products this could let them grow their studio too.

How would that work when all Matt can see is this?

h0am7FN.png

That is one about the show I didn't like was his they represented how he "sees" it felt off.

On paper at least, I really like that top of the class, potentially widely outsourced approach. It's also a good thing they're not time pressuring themselves with movie releases. Hell, these days youl're always three months away from a Marvel movie anyway.

Is the F2P PC game managed by their mobile division?

making their console games great again
I see what you did there.

(I know it's not the topic, but they're pretty good at mobile games)

Neoxon

It's time to start a social media campaign for a UMvC3 remaster/current gen port.
There's already a social media campaign for MvC4, so a UMvC3 remaster likely wouldn't be far off in terms of what the FGC may rally for.

FelipeMGM

Warriors yeah, but didn't Rockstar have some involvement with Max Payne 1 and 2? Publishing or something? I saw their logo on the boxes back in the day, so they were there from very early on.

Take Two had their hands on some of the distribution of the first Max Payne then Rockstar published the second one trough Take-Two as well. But the IP was created and developed by Sam Lake and Remedy until the third game

Ninja Theory could probably make a good Deadpool game.

They just have to write it like they wrote DmC and it will be unintentionally hilarious.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The partners going forward. TT Games is rumored to do Lego Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think that's run by a different producer at Marvel. Both Jay and Peter were kind of cagey when talking about the LEGO games, so it might even be a third person.

F4r0_Atak

I love the sound of this. Really hope it pans out well.

It will, as Marvel seems way more committed this time to have top-tier output when it comes to video games. I wonder if it has anything to do with how they're initiating their Phase 3 (Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Ms Marvel, etc) of the MCU.

Neoxon

Ninja Theory could probably make a good Deadpool game.

They just have to write it like they wrote DmC and it will be unintentionally hilarious.
Deadpool counts as an X-Men character, so they sadly can't.

Can't wait for the Sentinel buff....
I'm not sure if Capcom would even be allowed to touch the game. Maybe they can add the Vita features, but that's it. The only remastered game we have to go by in terms of what Marvel's cool with post-ban is Deadpool, which was re-released untouched.

The thought of more MvC grosses me out at this point. If Marvel has a new lease on its own life when it comes to video games, why not try a bunch of new shit? I personally hope they stay as far from Capcom as possible this time around.

Top Bottom