• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Spider Man 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Spider Man 2 wil get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
spider-man dancing GIF

Seyken

It's funny how many people have a clear agenda and are perpetually butt hurt about Naughty Dog and their success..

They released their massive AAA game in 2020 whereas Insomniac released their game in 2018. Insomniac followed that up with games that utilize the same engines and largely iterated on prior releases.

Uncharted 4 has a 93 and TLOU2 has a 93.

This is Insomniac's first 90 in 20 years and none of their games have reached as high as the previously mentioned games.

Uncharted 2 has a 96...

People who are trying to compare Insomniac and Naughty Dog are absolutely clueless. Naughty Dog's track record is clear and their games take more time to make but deliver significantly more critically and financially than Insomniac games and Naughty Dog owns their IP whereas Insomniac doesn't own Spider-Man.

For all we know, there won't be a Spider-Man 3... it all comes down to negotiations between Marvel and Sony. Obviously, they'll work something out, but that's not a sure thing.

Oooh boy, time to step on this landmine!

You know it, I know it, everyone knows that TLOU 2 didn't have a 93 metacritic fan reception. The hype for the game was absolutely crazy, and everything came crashing down with the leaks and the release of the game. With the data we now have that the The Last of Us series has sold 37 million copies to date, and that TLOU 2 is responsible for 10 million of those (these are the same as Ghost of Tsushima numbers), do you still call falling from a 27 million seller to a 10 million one success? It's CLEAR they alienated a good portion of their fanbase, not unlike what happened to Disney and Star Wars with The Last Jedi. Did it still sell well? Sure. Did it sell well compared to what was expected of it? Absolutely not. Of course they're not going to say it, but come on now.

So now you get fans at war, with one side wanting a clean break from TLOU and Naughty Dog to put their talent to work on something new (people acknowledge they are talented, they just want to see the talent employed into something they care about) and the other side wanting a TLOU 3. That's where I think you're getting the butthurt from people.

Insomniac on the other hand became the people's champion because they took a very well known character that had been very poorly treated in videogames for more than a decade and came out with a banger of a game (not a 93 metacritic one, but a well made, touching and most important, FUN one) that went on to sell more than 30 million copies by itself, taking the crown of highest selling game EVER for an exclusive game on PS, and continuing to do so with Ratchet and subsequent games coming out on a VERY efficient schedule, so it's no wonder the script is flipping. The last taste (no pun intended) a lot of people had of Naughty Dog was a sour one, while Insomniac is at the peak of its powers.

Terenty

Ok, I take my words back, the game does look significantly better than the first one graphically. I don't know what was up with that early leaked review where it looked like crap.

The clouds of dust from afar still look shitty though

FeralEcho

yeah thats right I got them confused lol. I forgot they're working on GoT2 so were not getting a new infamous anytime soon still.
Yeah I'd have prefered Sucker Punch continue with a next gen Infamous maybe with Cole again and afterwards they could do GOT2 but I guess Insomniac is the only studio outside of From on the planet that can release more than 1 or 2 games an entire gen so no Infamous till PS6 at this rate.... If it's even coming then...

kaizenkko

It's funny how many people have a clear agenda and are perpetually butt hurt about Naughty Dog and their success..

They released their massive AAA game in 2020 whereas Insomniac released their game in 2018. Insomniac followed that up with games that utilize the same engines and largely iterated on prior releases.

Uncharted 4 has a 93 and TLOU2 has a 93.

This is Insomniac's first 90 in 20 years and none of their games have reached as high as the previously mentioned games.

Uncharted 2 has a 96...

People who are trying to compare Insomniac and Naughty Dog are absolutely clueless. Naughty Dog's track record is clear and their games take more time to make but deliver significantly more critically and financially than Insomniac games and Naughty Dog owns their IP whereas Insomniac doesn't own Spider-Man.

For all we know, there won't be a Spider-Man 3... it all comes down to negotiations between Marvel and Sony. Obviously, they'll work something out, but that's not a sure thing.
lol

Is better been playing a good 88~91 game in each 2 years than playing a 93 game in each 7 years.

And I'm sure Insomniac can achieve the same than Naughty Dog if they manage to spend 5~7 years in one game. But thank God they are smart workers.

I was gonna say 89 but 91 nice! insomniac dont miss! now bring back infamous!

Or get the rights to X-Men . I know we have Wolverine coming but we could see a potential rebirth for the IP in video game form.

A action RPG, choose sides either Xavier or Magneto, custom character, in depth skill tree/mutations, dialogue/story choices and Insomniacs Wolverine could feature too.

Hestar69

Yeah I'd have prefered Sucker Punch continue with a next gen Infamous maybe with Cole again and afterwards they could do GOT2 but I guess Insomniac is the only studio outside of From on the planet that can release more than 1 or 2 games an entire gen so no Infamous till PS6 at this rate.... If it's even coming then...
yeah I mean they gotta have something coming out next year GoT was 2020. I loved infamous second son and was hoping we get a new one sometimes with new powers like paper or something..sighhh

Remembe,r Sony paid only 229 million for this studio.

It’s who’s spending the money and making the decisions. You could have all the money in the world but if you have people who are up their own arse and do far more talking than having content that speaks for itself, it’s pointless. I think you know who I’m referring to.

Last edited:

Hestar69

Or get the rights to X-Men . I know we have Wolverine coming but we could see a potential rebirth for the IP in video game form.

A action RPG, choose sides either Xavier or Magneto, custom character, in depth skill tree/mutations, dialogue/story choices and Insomniacs Wolverine could feature too.
That would be kind of dope if the sequel to wolverine lead to this.

Read some of the reviews from the sites I’ve heard of - seems as expected. More of the same, polished up nice and shiny.

Will definitely play, but not at launch. Still haven’t managed to play past the first bit of Miles. Enjoyed the original but it overstayed its welcome a bit by the end:

Look forward to the impressions from the actual players next week - if they hold up I’ll have to resist the temptation. I feel like the major outlets are probably closer to reality than the fan sites hunting for review codes and clicks though.

Last edited:

Crayon

Can't think of any recent game, or for the past 10 years that brought anything revolutionary. VR is the only thing that comes to mind.

On the lower end of the bar for "revolutionary", I might put dreams and zelda. Can't think of anything else that could be justified even at a stretch. I'm sure I'm forgetting something but there's nothing popping into my head. Maybe death stranding with the revolutionary idea that a game can be intentionally not fun lol.

You're right. It's all been vr as far as seriously pushing things forward.

killatopak

Gold Member
I hate the fact that seemingly normal dev guys are over at that shithole thinking its the bees knees and best/safest place to discuss games. Infuriating :messenger_grinning_squinting:
I doubt they really want to be there or even here.

The difference is we're mature enough to acknowledge devs even if they post on era. However, the moment era finds out someone posts on gaf, especially high profile persons, expect some form of cancellation, accusation or loss of sales.

I think the devs are just operating on their best interests.

It is beyond me to how the fuck they managed to improve the graphics by such a huge margin after showing that first gameplay demo.
Graphically it seemed really meh and looked like it could be done on a PS4 (Pro).

By today's industry standards worse graphics than in the demo wouldn't even have surprised me.
Seems like those talks about the demo being an older build were probably true, a surprise for once.

Friday can't come sooner, luckily I did not watch any footage other than that first demo (and saw those amazing gifs here for comparison) and will also not read nor watch any review. YouTube will also be a red zone because of those stupid fucks who are spoilering key story moments in their titles.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm going to buy this game(i'm too old to ignore my Spider-Man love). Probably on launch, But I thought giving the option to fast travel via menu maps to the next mission was terrible design? Thats what's starfield done wrong, I thought? Now it's being celebrated?
This is a terrible post. You should be ashamed.

Why are you even comparing the two?

In Spider-Man, you can either swing to the place you want to go or fast-travel to it.
In Starfield, you cannot fly to the place you want to go. You can only fast-travel to it via multiple clicks on multiple menu screens. That was the issue.
Imagine someone trying to compare the 2...and thinking it makes sense.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't buy games within the fist we either, hell I usually dont buy till lie 3-6 months in. But I usually hod out on buying at least one full-price game around the launch window every year. At least one...

This year, this would be making my 3rd one...:messenger_sad_relieved:

What were the other two?

RGB'D

You know it, I know it, everyone knows that TLOU 2 didn't have a 93 metacritic fan reception. The hype for the game was absolutely crazy, and everything came crashing down with the leaks and the release of the game. With the data we now have that the The Last of Us series has sold 37 million copies to date, and that TLOU 2 is responsible for 10 million of those (these are the same as Ghost of Tsushima numbers), do you still call falling from a 27 million seller to a 10 million one success? It's CLEAR they alienated a good portion of their fanbase, not unlike what happened to Disney and Star Wars with The Last Jedi. Did it still sell well? Sure. Did it sell well compared to what was expected of it? Absolutely not. Of course they're not going to say it, but come on now.

So now you get fans at war, with one side wanting a clean break from TLOU and Naughty Dog to put their talent to work on something new (people acknowledge they are talented, they just want to see the talent employed into something they care about) and the other side wanting a TLOU 3. That's where I think you're getting the butthurt from people.

Insomniac on the other hand became the people's champion because they took a very well known character that had been very poorly treated in videogames for more than a decade and came out with a banger of a game (not a 93 metacritic one, but a well made, touching and most important, FUN one) that went on to sell more than 30 million copies by itself, taking the crown of highest selling game EVER for an exclusive game on PS, and continuing to do so with Ratchet and subsequent games coming out on a VERY efficient schedule, so it's no wonder the script is flipping. The last taste (no pun intended) a lot of people had of Naughty Dog was a sour one, while Insomniac is at the peak of its powers.
I'm not sure I would have bought a PS5 yet if not for insomniac. GOW and Horizon were guaranteed for PC, but I couldn't miss out on Miles/Ratchet/SM2.

I have no interest in TLOU3. I want ND to do something different. Also... it's 2023. Stop with the zombies already. The Walking Dead came out in 2010.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I doubt they really want to be there or even here.

The difference is we're mature enough to acknowledge devs even if they post on era. However, the moment era finds out someone posts on gaf, especially high profile persons, expect some form of cancellation, accusation or loss of sales.

I think the devs are just operating on their best interests.

If they don’t want to be there then why are they there? The cool purple tag and acknowledgment? lol

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

27 to a 10 million success?

At that point, Last of Us Part II was close to 12 million than 10 million and this is after the Last of Us Remake release. What you ignore is that Last of Us was given away in over 20 console bundles for 6 years, which increased the volume of sales.

Do you now Last of Us Part II surpassed the original game in revenue on the NPD charts in less than a month? That goes to show you how much bundles played a factor in the sales.

I would also like to add that Last of Us Part II is in the top 20 best selling games of the year for the first half of 2023 in Europe. Last of Us didn't need bundles to reach this many sales, so Last of Us Part II is actually a bigger success.

killatopak

Gold Member
If they don’t want to be there then why are they there? The cool purple tag and acknowledgment? lol
Don't know if this is still the case but I think roughly around 2018-2019, I heard some era people say the site was the largest traditional gaming forum. Possibly in terms of page views or just members in general. I think I saw Insomniac devs already operating there as far back as 2018 to answer questions about Spiderman(2018) before release.

ProtoByte

When you say it wasn't competitive you implicitly mean it was not undeserved. So you're not really saying the same thing. Perhaps 2020 or 2019 weren't big years but if i use the metrics you're using i could find games that had a far better reception.

You're still projecting something as "industry politics" then find elements to corroborate your theory, whether or not it's a straight up conspiracy, meaning there is a deeper meaning behind the nomination of certain games that we can predict. In my opinion it's not a rigorous reasoning and can only lead to double standards (although of course it's a very tempting thing to do). If it was really important to give every first party publisher its share why FH5 wasn't nominated in 2021 ? It would hurt the awards to give a racing game a nomination ?

You're not even waiting for Starfield to be nominated you're saying if it's not it would be fair and if it is it's because of industry politics. I'm sure you can see how biased it is.
Industry politics exist. It's just a case of whether or not they override objectivity. They're going to be a factor whether you acknowledge it or not.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm not sure I would have bought a PS5 yet if not for insomniac. GOW and Horizon were guaranteed for PC, but I couldn't miss out on Miles/Ratchet/SM2.

I have no interest in TLOU3. I want ND to do something different. Also... it's 2023. Stop with the zombies already. The Walking Dead came out in 2010.
Thank you.

I still don't understand what makes TLOU this marvel of story telling. I'm sure it's great for what it is but the game felt stale to me when it first released on the PS3. It is what it is but it's like, how many times had we heard this tale prior to the game releasing?

Book of Eli, Walking Dead, I Am Legend, The Road, etc. They're all a part of the same schtick and ND still riding it a decade+ later. Now we're supposed to be enthralled in a TV show of it. GTFOH.

Last edited:

Certinty

So nice to see so many of the Insomniac team share their happiness with the MC score and the reviews on Twitter.

Such a well run team and everything they do has always come across as a work of passion. The main people have always seemed incredibly classy too, no one with an overinflated ego thinking they’re bigger than the brand.

Completely well deserved after all their games in recent times and all the MC scores in the 80s.

Resistance Fall of Man will always be my favourite online shooter, Resistance 3 has one of the best single player campaigns of any shooter, Sunset Overdrive was a blast to play with great humour, the latest Ratchet & Clank is even now one of the best PS5 games and of course the first Spider-Man game is still one of the best exclusives in recent years.

Couldn’t be happier for them.

Mortisfacio

By that logic, same could be said for SM2 then. Super hero genre has been getting milked dry since Iron Man came out in 2008 and the entire genre has been rehashed/stayed stagnant for over a decade.

Gamerguy84

I've only seen James Stevenson on era. He's community manager for Insomniac and so interacting with community. Some gamers inevitably pissed him off so he bounced. (X BOX GAMERS)

Never seen him here but wish he would come here.

Anyway glad to see insomniac put out another banger, I'm pre-ordered and ready to go on release. Stayed away from leaked footage because I've seen all I needed to know it's gonna be great if your a spider fan.

Top Bottom