• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Spider Man 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Spider Man 2 wil get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:messenger_face_screaming:
JF7EsIt.gif
That looks really incredible.No pop ins, it looks like we are finally at the Unreal Engine demo which was shown at the beginning of the PS5.Amazing draw distance no load ins no pop ins.It would be great to have an racing glider game with this graphics where the road hovers above the city something like f zero

I just bought the $70 US digital version on PSN (because I have a US account). But because I live in Japan this was over 10,000 yen!!

I could have bought the physical disc version for 7345 yen on Amazon. Which is only $50 USD!

The jpy/usd exchange rate right now is bonkers.

But anyway, congrats Insomniac on your 90+ game. I want to celebrate this with you at launch!

It makes sense, Miles is the new kid with the powers struggling to get control, Peter is the mentor figure. Myself, I'm thankful for the little design details that differentiates the two.
Sure, I guess I'm just not a fan of Miles (or anyone else being Spider-Man except for Peter)

Take it with Metacritic lol. In any case, most of the reviews are already factored in the MC score so there's a slim chance that the score will go down. Possible yet I'm 99% sure it won't go below 90.
Fair enough could a 5 from edge etc make a dent. I still get angry that metacritic weights certain outlets. Just straight up biased no other way to put it.

RGB'D

By that logic, same could be said for SM2 then. Super hero genre has been getting milked dry since Iron Man came out in 2008 and the entire genre has been rehashed/stayed stagnant for over a decade.
Absolutely. But even with the saturation of super hero movies, zombies is still way more annoying of a trope to me.

I will consume more spiderman content because web slinging is super fun at the end of the day, and insomniac nailed it. But I sure as heck want Insomniac making new content and am disappointed they got saddled with Wolverine.

Toots

Gold Member
They deserve it to stay 90 and above to be honest. You can see the quality from the trailer
Yes but going under 90 would make that dude cry even more, and i really don't like his face and vibe.
It would be unfair to the others people who worked on the game, but you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

GymWolf

I'm going to buy this game(i'm too old to ignore my Spider-Man love). Probably on launch, But I thought giving the option to fast travel via menu maps to the next mission was terrible design? Thats what's starfield done wrong, I thought? Now it's being celebrated?
The difference here is that if you don't use fast travel, you can still have fun with the traversal around the city to reach any place.

In stuffield it's either fast travel or bust.

DJ12

If only Microsoft had this sort of quality control in their games, another absolute banger released by Sony
Most studios run themselves, I imagine MS put incredible pressure on their devs amd meddle constantly to feed the failing gamepass experiment.

Set the target and let your people go create, correct them if what they bring is shit, send in the ninjas if its good but flawed.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes but going under 90 would make that dude cry even more, and i really don't like his face and vibe.
It would be unfair to the others people who worked on the game, but you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

I don't think it could drop now with how many reviews its had??

Even with an Edge 8 out of 10 i think it should hold?

This shit looks astonishing.
Too bad my Sony Bravia somehow fucked itself up and now I'm gonna need a new high-end TV to play this masterpiece on.
What's impressive is that it's one random location not even showing reflections on windows or water. The graphics are very consistent considering you can fly at near superman speeds to visit another highly detailed location. That's litteraly fast I/O improving the graphics by improving the density of assets and effects in all scenes.

GymWolf

I guess it's just the expected quality from Nintendo on a mainline mario...and from the previews?

But I agree, Lies of P should be there, AC6, Cocoon and all the other bangers!
To me it's just stupid to have a fixed number of candidates for something silly and not serious like game awards.

Dibils2k

honestly these guys have carried this generation for Sony... they have released like 3 proper next gen titles while majority of the studios havent even done one

having ray tracing that actually looks good and still 60fps and high enough resolution is a incredible achievement, what special sauce does their engine have

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
honestly these guys have carried this generation for Sony... they have released like 3 proper next gen titles while majority of the studios havent even done one

having ray tracing that actually looks good and still 60fps and high enough resolution is a incredible achievement, what special sauce does their engine have
Eh, no one studio has carried them. God of War was a banger, Forbidden West was a banger, the launch was stellar, etc. The system has done well for itself, despite some of their main players having yet to release a current gen game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I expect players of the majority of players of the game will reflect an 8/10. A game that is solid and accomplishes what it needs to, but doesn't break any new ground. Those games are fine and honestly I'd be OK if Insomniac delivers this.

Similar to how Starfield players rank the game now as a 7/10. A game that is worth playing and does many things well, but has too many flaws to justify being higher.

That's my expectation.
Eh, no one studio has carried them. God of War was a banger, Forbidden West was a banger, the launch was stellar, etc. The system has done well for itself, despite some of their main players having yet to release a current gen game.
Agreed. Ragnarok and Forbidden West were outstanding games that anyone who owns a PS5 should play. Neither of those studios have been the work horse of Insomniac, but Naughty Dog is the only one who has underwhelmed for PS5 and realistically, their last game was only 3.5 years ago. They should be ready to reveal their next game any day now. Unfortunately, I can't say I am all THAT excited considering how much I disliked the narrative of TLoU2.

Last edited:

Fake

Wait, MJ stealth missions are back!? Why, for f’s sake? Why the f are these stupid Stealth missions needed?

Meh, I hate these Stealth missions, for Peter and Miles as well. Sigh, they just sucks. Will wait for a sale now. I know this may sound stupid but it completely ruined the flow in the first game.

Those missions are indeed shit. In the first game was totally awful. Can't understand why this shit keep comimg back.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

It is beyond me to how the fuck they managed to improve the graphics by such a huge margin after showing that first gameplay demo.
Graphically it seemed really meh and looked like it could be done on a PS4 (Pro).

By today's industry standards worse graphics than in the demo wouldn't even have surprised me.
Seems like those talks about the demo being an older build were probably true, a surprise for once.

Friday can't come sooner, luckily I did not watch any footage other than that first demo (and saw those amazing gifs here for comparison) and will also not read nor watch any review. YouTube will also be a red zone because of those stupid fucks who are spoilering key story moments in their titles.
I can tell you that watching some of the captured footage in the digital Foundry vid in 4K especially when they talked about and showed the ray tracing was jaw dropping. You are in for a treat. I couldn't believe the look of some of the scenes, its drastically improved.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I don't think it could drop now with how many reviews its had??

Even with an Edge 8 out of 10 i think it should hold?
I was about to call Ziff Davis to have the score lowered, but you are right let Nature take her course.

I don't want to see any dev imply he's crying because some critics liked their game ever again though.

Thief1987

Ratchet. SM2. What was the third?

Expected high 80's but looks like they polished it a bit more for the 90. Game doesn't interest me but seems like another win PlayStation only gamers.
lol. Game looks absolutely fabulous, except for the faraway clouds with sandman. But 1 minor nitpick compared to all the other perfection on display? If this doesn’t impress you than no game will.

Open world, raytracing with reflections of reflections. 60fps or 40fps quality with vr options, huge draw distance, busy worlds, cohesive lighting, no loading… etc etc etc etc.

Top Bottom