• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda new screenshots

Shin-Ra

There's lots of little things that stand out more on the human characters but the eyes are especially lacking.

The white (Sclera) of the eyes are too bright and uniform.

22015885328_2088477edd_o.png

These Until Dawn shots are from gameplay idle closeups rather than cutscenes.

22255800295_427a009eb6_o.png

It looks like the eyes lack the shading complexity and closeup lighting setup of some other contemporary games.

I think all looks pretty good but will need to see the game in motion. I find screenshots rarely reflect what the game will look like actually playing it.

*shrugs*

I mean, this all seems par for the course now that BioWare is on Frostbite. Of course screenshots are generally going to look solid. The question visually, is how will the game look in motion since BioWare's animations have been subpar for a while now and the jump to Frostbite hasn't done them any favors in that respect. Its just super jarring to have generally high fidelity character models stuck in the same stale library of animations they've been using since the first Mass Effect.

There's lots of little things that stand out more on the human characters but the eyes are especially lacking.

The white (Sclera) of the eyes are too bright and uniform.

22015885328_2088477edd_o.png

These Until Dawn shots are from gameplay idle closeups rather than cutscenes.

22255800295_427a009eb6_o.png

It looks like the eyes lack the shading complexity and closeup lighting setup of some other contemporary games.

Until dawn character model looked sooooo amazing. Their eyes even look like they are watery like in real life.
Of course going itno that huge amount of level for a big RPG is not feasible, but like you said, the detail in the eyes could make them look so much better than thewhole white scelra they have now.

Inquisition's CC was pretty great imo. I made some cool characters in that thing.

Except for hair. DAI did not have good looking hair.

The worst part of Inquisition's CC was the weird lighting in it. A character would look fine in the CC but as soon as they were under different lighting in game you'd find their cheeks were all fucked up or something. I remade my first character like 5 times because they looked fucked up under different lighting.

Here's a random question: do Asari's have tentacles on their heads? Or more specifically, are the crests on their heads actually latent tentacles? Someone on another forum was claiming this, so I was genuinely curious.

Garlador

Inquisition's CC was pretty great imo. I made some cool characters in that thing.

Except for hair. DAI did not have good looking hair.

The worst part of Inquisition's CC was the weird lighting in it. A character would look fine in the CC but as soon as they were under different lighting in game you'd find their cheeks were all fucked up or something. I remade my first character like 5 times because they looked fucked up under different lighting.

Yeah, that was the worst. The green tint to everything in the CC made it so you'd spend hours getting your character JUST right, only to then discover your character had, like, uber-glossy purple lipstick on or their skin color was all screwy, or something else.

Why they did that, I'll never know, and I hope they avoid that problem in Andromeda.

Here's a random question: do Asari's have tentacles on their heads? Or more specifically, are the crests on their heads actually latent tentacles? Someone on another forum was claiming this, so I was genuinely curious.
I have the answer to this!
You're welcome.

Went with defaule MaleShep in ME. This time I'll customize him. He just looks a bit too plain. I think the character models themselves look fine though.

Really looking forward to have a slice of gameplay that's just exploring a part of a planet.

DemWalls

That's not a real beard. That's a few days without shaving.

Yeah, my mistake, should've said stubble. I don't expect short facial hair to be more than a flat texture, the problem here is that said texture looks pretty low quality. But maybe that's also due to the compression + film grain.

Better than DA:I. Frostbite seems to have trouble with hair.
I hope they have something better for the full beards than the glued on clay from DA:I

We can only hope. I made an handsome guy in Inquisition, but no beard for him, unfortunately.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
i can't believe we're still getting the same bunch of alien races. i was hoping with a fresh start we'd get some fresh ideas, but it seems krogans, asari and salarians seem to be the order of the day...again...boring.

It's still Mass Effect, if you take out everything that made it Mass Effect...well, then it would be something different etc.

This is a fresh start, but with it's feet grounded firmly in the lore that came before it (as it should, ME lore is amazing).

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
For being a 30hz Frostbite title, beyond the bokeh and texture detail, these facial rending features and eye rendering are really rather poor. Especially in comparison to other modern games:

Can't really compare an open world RPG with Until Dawn (not sure the 2nd game), kind of an unfair comparison all things being equal.

I think Alec looks phenomenal, can't wait to put my 980 into overdrive with this! :)

We should also remember that Inquisition was the first time anyone tried to do hair with Frostbite. I really hope they've learned a lot since then and have had help from DICE. I honestly feel like BioWare would have done better if they were just allowed to make their own engine for their next-gen games instead of being mandated to use Frostbite by EA. Shit does not seem very flexible.

Harlequin

We should also remember that Inquisition was the first time anyone tried to do hair with Frostbite. I really hope they've learned a lot since then and have had help from DICE. I honestly feel like BioWare would have done better if they were just allowed to make their own engine for their next-gen games instead of being mandated to use Frostbite by EA. Shit does not seem very flexible.

I guess it's possible that there was no good hair shading solution implemented in Frostbite back when BioWare did DAI but it definitely looks like Frostbite can do some pretty nice hair nowadays:

The question is how well BioWare will be able to put that to use.

i can't believe we're still getting the same bunch of alien races. i was hoping with a fresh start we'd get some fresh ideas, but it seems krogans, asari and salarians seem to be the order of the day...again...boring.

I'm split on this. You can't have The Milky Way be chock full of species and then have Andromeda not be. I mean Bioware must know this? We have to roll up into Andromeda and find lots of different species. They've shown 2 by now? Surely there are more. Like the ME Trilogy had 30 or 40 right? We roll up with Asari, Turians and Salarians so there must be lots of races we haven't seen.

Edit - not 30 to 40 but more like 20 but still there were a few :D

JMY86

This is going to beat my GTX970 into a pulp, isn't it.

I am a tad concerned about this as well. I played the original trilogy on PC, I hope my 970 will run it ok with high settings. I planned to play on PC but I can fall back on my PS4 Pro if I need to.

Schlorgan

I am a tad concerned about this as well. I played the original trilogy on PC, I hope my 970 will run it ok with high detail. I planned to play on PC but I can fall back on my PS4 Pro if I need to.
My 970 ran Battlefield 1, Battlefront and Catalyst pretty well. I can see this running fine.

I'm split on this. You can't have The Milky Way be chock full of species and then have Andromeda not be. I mean Bioware must know this? We have to roll up into Andromeda and find lots of different species. They've shown 2 by now? Surely there are more. Like the ME Trilogy had 30 or 40 right? We roll up with Asari, Turians and Salarians so there must be lots of races we haven't seen.
Can you list them? I don't remember that many.

I am a tad concerned about this as well. I played the original trilogy on PC, I hope my 970 will run it ok with high detail. I planned to play on PC but I can fall back on my PS4 Pro if I need to.

I got a 980Ti and I'm kinda apprehensive...I imagine I should be ok, altering some settings here and there (@1440p) but I'll see...

game looks good

but femshep really looks... stupid/dumb. They gotta fix her face

she's (fairly accurately?) face-scanned from a person, like Adonis Shepard/Mark Vanderloo.

It is what it is.

My 970 ran Battlefield 1, Battlefront and Catalyst pretty well. I can see this running fine.

Can you list them? I don't remember that many.

Asari, Drell, Elcor, Hanar, Human, Keeper, Salarian, Turian, Volus, Batarian, Collector, Geth, Krogan, Leviathan, Quarians, Reapers, Vorcha, Yahg, Prothean, Rachni - I pulled this off a wiki lol okay so what is that? 20. Add in non sapient species and you'll hit my 30 estimate :D

KooopaKid

Banned
The characters don't look good. What's going on with this game?
It should be one of the most anticipated game of the year and it's just...there.

Top Bottom