• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2014 (Oct 06 - Oct 12)

Tom_Cody

I think DD sales for MH4 on 3DS were somewher near 250K last September.
MHP3 was a peak for many reasons, I can't see that happening again (as for some DS software peak)
Interesting.

Considering how great the buzz for 4G has been, one would have to assume that 5 (in whatever form it takes) will be hugely anticipated. Still, those MHP3 simply appear to be insurmountable.

Interesting.

Considering how great the buzz for 4G has been, one would have to assume that 5 (in whatever form it takes) will be hugely anticipated. Still, those MHP3 simply appear to be insurmountable.
Yeah I can't see MHP3rd numbers being replicated. It really was a perfect storm. Peak holiday release, first mostly brand new PSP MH, and following the insane selling 2ndG which had a million selling (!) BEST re-release. Kinda like how we aren't seeing Pokemon match its GB/C days but still doing big numbers.

small44

I don't think they can make them multiplatform especialy YW i don't think this would sell even 500k on Vita but they should at least get MGS,FF and Kingdoms hearts

Do Nintendo and Sony pay for high selling handheld 3rd party exclusives? Or do the publishers just choose to miss out on sales?

All of the best selling 3rd party handheld games from PSP, DS, 3DS, and Vita were exclusive even though most of them had a fanbase on all handheld platforms.
I think Nintendo pay for Monster Hunter but YW no because child games sold more on Nintendo consoles

Willing

Neo Member
Impressive MH4G and 3DS sales.

Does anyone have a list of the top first week software sales from 2014 (and maybe 2013 for comparison)? Was there even a non-3DS game that surpassed 1mil sales in the first week this year?

hiska-kun

BE5A2AD2-3BDF-48C2-96E1-E815EC2DC4D4_zps34pyi7pr.gif

Impressive MH4G and 3DS sales.

Does anyone have a list of the top first week software sales from 2014 (and maybe 2013 for comparison)? Was there even a non-3DS game that surpassed 1mil sales in the first week this year?

I don't for a second think Nintendo have to pay a penny for monster Hunter, it was just the most obvious platform for it to sell a tonne on

Was there even a non-3DS game that surpassed 1mil sales in the first week this year?
Pokémon Black & White 2 (NDS, 2012) was the last non-3DS game that sold more than 1 million at launch.

And the last million seller - first week or total - on a Sony platform was Monster Hunter Portable 3 in 2010.

Darius

Banned
Will PSV keep its year on year lead?

PSV 2014-2013 ytd comparison

MediaCreate
week40: +215.563
week41: +164.695

Famitsu
week40: +226.192
week41: +176.920

Willing

Neo Member
Pokémon Black & White 2 (NDS, 2012) was the last non-3DS game that sold more than 1 million at launch.

And the last million seller - first week or total - on a Sony platform was Monster Hunter Portable 3 in 2010.

Thanks for that information. Japan sure loves its Monster Hunter!

I'm looking forward to seeing how the end of the year is going to play out for 3DS and Wii U sales.

small44

My goodness XBone running dangerously low as to almost 360 levels last year. Not that it matters but still shocking at the same time.

When you see the effort that Microsoft put on x360 vs the effort they put on x1 it's not suprising at all,i think it won't even outsell the first xbox

hiska-kun

I've just realized that Media Create:

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 276.302

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 1.008.497

Million seller this year

random25

I'vejust realized that Media Create:

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 276.302

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 1.008.497

Million seller this year

A silent 4th million seller this year? Pretty impressive considering its slow start. Who would've thought?

boiled goose

good with gravy
u wot m8? A hybrid is a terrible idea.

The PSPGo was ahead of its time, innit. I'd like to see Nintendo release something similar but for VC & mobile gaming only.

It would be s great idea if nintendo had a proper unified account system. No one wants to buy the same games again and again on all the different hardware releases.

hiska-kun

I wonder if this time, Media Create is going to disaggregate sales like they did last year:

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 1.715.060 <91,96%>
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 [Download Card] - 155.000
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 [Nintendo eShop] - 100.000

TOTAL SALES for Monster Hunter 4 first week:

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - ~1.970.000

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/20/monster-hunter-4-enjoyed-the-highest-debut-of-the-series/

Bundles (included in retail version):

[3DS] Nintendo 3DS LL Monster Hunter 4 Special Pack - Goa Magara Black - 69.000
[3DS] Nintendo 3DS LL Monster Hunter 4 Special Pack - Felyne White - 34.000

While technically Sony is a Japanese company and I can see how someone who is insane would come to this conclusion, I feel that in practice SCE is effectively a Western company with a Japanese branch.

Like that's at the crux of a lot of their Japanese market issues. They don't have much of an actual first party in Japan because almost all their investment is in the West and has been for quite a while.

Similarly, their products optimize toward the needs of the West rather than what works best in Japan. This certainly makes sense for them given where their strength is and how the dedicated market is, but it does help create the reality we see.

Sony creates more jobs in the US and give jobs to more americans than Microsoft in Japan if we gonna play this stupid game. The Xbox One is not much american other than the fact that it caters more to a western crowd.

Tizoc

No point when it's already ahead of the competition hardware-wise. They need a revision with, um, all the franchises that Nintendo has locked down. Doesn't seem all that likely!

I'll settle for an app that lets me access JP PS Store thanks.

Nice start for MonHun 4.

Ad0l

Banned

PSV 2014-2013 ytd comparison

MediaCreate
week40: +215.563
week41: +164.695

Famitsu
week40: +226.192
week41: +176.920
Unlikely.

2013, Media Create, PSV hardware sales nad big release:

W41 60.166 Vita 2000, Denganronpa
W42 25.763
W43 24.513
W44 27.618
W45 21.764
W46 88.522 Vita TV, God Eate 2
W47 28.912
W48 25.593
W49 29.366
W50 35.946
W51 55.591
W52 87.142 Final Fantasy X/X-2HD

This year Vita will stick around 10-15k a week until week 48. :/

Ad0l

Banned
The new 3DS happened. Gonna be a rough few months for the Vita.

Still, this is the best year the Vita will ever have so I guess that's something. It was supposed to be six feet under by now.

2015 will be better than 2014, software-wise.

My 2 cents.

05./00. [PS4] FIFA 15 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.10.09} (¥7.884) - 16.719 / NEW
06./00. [PS3] FIFA 15 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.10.09} (¥7.884) - 16.149 / NEW
12./00. [PSV] FIFA 15 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.10.09} (¥5.940) - 4.253 / NEW

Nice

Busaiku

Dunno about PS, but DS and Wii were the only other platform to even have more than three 2+ million sellers.
PS2 only had the 3.

Oregano

Still, this is the best year the Vita will ever have so I guess that's something. It was supposed to be six feet under by now.

I think the drop this week will be (mostly) temporary. I think the people who would normally buy Vita would instead invest in Monster Hunter and New 3DS this week(especially now it has dual analogs) but Vita has Phantasy Star coming up which is its biggest exclusive so far.

sörine

Banned
Dunno about PS, but DS and Wii were the only other platform to even have more than three 2+ million sellers.
PS2 only had the 3.
2m+ sellers by platform

Famicom: 10
Game Boy: 8
Super Famicom: 12
PlayStation: 6
PlayStation 2: 3
Game Boy Advance: 3
Nintendo DS: 15
PSP: 2
Wii: 9
Nintendo 3DS: 6 so far

AdanVC

*Looking for Bayonetta 2 on the chart*
*doesn't find it*
*cries*

It's our mission now to support the hell out of it when it release here1!!

3DS in general still living its golden era in Japan omfg. Some excellent numbers both hardware/software. Everything else... is bad. Good for that PS4 bump though :)

test_account

XP-39C²

*sales numbers*
Unlikely.

2013, Media Create, PSV hardware sales nad big release:

*sales numbers*

This year Vita will stick around 10-15k a week until week 48. :/
All depends on how much it sell in the holiday season. For the remaining 11 weeks (week 42 to 52), the Vita sold 405.806 in 2013. Since it has a YOY lead of 164.695, it needs to sell about 26.010 units every week in average for the next 11 week to match 2013's numbers. If it didnt have that lead, it would need to sell about 36.891 in a weekly average instead.

For comparison, the 3DS sold 1.456.808 units in the same 11 week period in 2013. The 3DS needs to sell about 132.437 units on a weekly average for the next 11 weeks to match it's 2013 period.

All numbers are Media Create.

LOCK

Impressive start for the n3DS.

So around 100k MH bundles were sold. Hmm might see a bigger drop than normal next week?

I think the drop this week will be (mostly) temporary. I think the people who would normally buy Vita would instead invest in Monster Hunter and New 3DS this week(especially now it has dual analogs) but Vita has Phantasy Star coming up which is its biggest exclusive so far.

Nova won't do shit for Vita. Maybe a slight bump to 15-20k, but it'll drop after that.

Kysen

Mind boggling how Sony completely dropped the ball in Japan and let MH go to Nintendo. Just what exactly was Kawano doing all those years?

Nintendo staying afloat thanks to the 3DS. They just need to keep releasing a revision every few years.

Mory Dunz

Well, the Vita has been steadily decreasing from mid 20K for months now. Since before the n3DS was even announced. Not sure why though. Maybe it's just a natural decline.

----------------------
I do have to admit though....those posts at the beginning of year about the Vita overtaking the 3DS in weekly sales get a laugh out of me. The weeks the Vita and 3DS were neck in neck....caused some really interesting predictions about how this year would go (Vita overtaking 3DS in sales until 3DS limps to successor in 2016, etc).

That's why you can never speak too soon, lol. Is there any reason Wii U/PS4/Vita won't dominate....you get the idea.

SmokyDave

2015 will be better than 2014, software-wise.

My 2 cents.
Software wise? Maybe. Can't say I've seen any signs to suggest that, but then it does seem to do well for titles that fall within its wheelhouse. Hardware will fucking suck though.

I think most gamers in Japan would sooner buy a slightly warmed over version of the 3DS they already own, than buy a Vita. I'd like to be wrong, but I bet I'm not.

That said, I also thought faceplates would drive sales of the smaller unit but the LL crushed it.

boingball

Ouch at those numbers besides the Top 3 and the 3DS (where even the old models got a bump thanks to MH). And the PS4 cracked 10k for a week. But so did the Vita, in the wrong direction, good job Sony of loosing the MH franchise. And the Xbox One, the All-in-One-Entertainment System finally managed to cross the 1k line downwards.

Jamix012

I wonder if Dangan Ronpa 3 will go multiplatform... It just seems like it's geared for a late 2015 release at the earliest (possibly later) and by that point the Vita will be...even more irrelevant than it is now. DR3, P4DAN and Gravity Rush 2 are the last "big" exclusives potentially coming to the system but GR2 has been speculated to be PS4 too.

People should really stop saying this about PSN. It's not going to be the biggest Vita game at all. It won't outdo God Eater 2 or P4G for sure, its pre-orders are just not there. That's not to say it won't do decent numbers, but I feel people are going to be disappointed with its performance.

Top Bottom