• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule Announces New IP, Dreams

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
is this Sony's answer to SFM on steam? what are they trying to accomplish with this ?game?

It's Sony's next-generation of the concept at the core of littlebigplanet.

It'll be a platform for gameplay creation and whatever other digital content you can make with the tools.

I'm surprised they didn't talk about Morpheous functionality seeing as how the VR environment seems perfect for this. Like creating dioramas

VR would/could be perfect for this...the whole concept of sharing digital 'dreams' crossed with the idea of 'Morpheus' seems all too obvious. It could be a media molecule metaverse for VR. BUT...I have extreme doubts they could get this working at a framerate required for VR. I would guess this is targeting 1080p/30fps.

If this takes off, though, it's easy to imagine a VR version in the future. For now I think the fidelity they're targeting might be too much for PS4 VR though :/

kuppy

Seems aimed at Morpheus and it's Move-like controller.
Surely we will have a much better understanding of this next year. Till then, it's MM, they have the benefit of the doubt, and the ascetics are indisputable.

woen

Seems aimed at Morpheus and it's Move-like controller.
Surely we will have a much better understanding of this next year. Till then, it's MM, they have the benefit of the doubt, and the ascetics are indisputable.

They said we'll see more at the Paris Games Week Sony conference (october/november 2015)

You play within dreams and stuff inconsistently change from one thing to another, like in real dreams, right?

However, the lighting in the trailer around 1:15 looks amazing. Is this gameplay or CGI?

i mean, it looked very unique and i'm interested in seeing what comes out of it.

but its totally not for me. i hate creating stuff in games

My exact thoughts , also sadly I wish I had the time to create stuff in games x I can't make anything decent(I've tried)

Reminded me of the neverhood B^) but I'll pass

Shin-Ra

Gamersyde have a high-ish quality version of the new Tearaway Unfolded trailer.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_tearaway_unfolded_trailer-16680_en.html

So much visual richness, my brain could pop.

You play within dreams and stuff inconsistently change from one thing to another, like in real dreams, right?

However, the lighting in the trailer around 1:15 looks amazing. Is this gameplay or CGI?
3xsyB0.jpg

ninjabat

The art style looks straight out of a Laika movie. I love this look, if people come up with cool scenarios this game could be amazing online.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I may be wrong, but I think the idea is that one 'dream' will end and blend into another seamlessly. So it's sort of an endless feed of stuff. I would guess there'll be a web backend kind of like LBP where you can look up and insert stuff into your dream sequence.

It could be interesting, creatively, if there's a time limit per dream...going by the principle of constraint being good for creativity. But I guess people who want to make bigger, longer things might not like that.

It's from their engine. I thought the lighting around the part where the big bear slides into the snow, around 55-60, was pretty fantastic too.

woen

As a filmmaker who also love games and game design, this is what intrigue me the most so far at this E3.
How will this play ? Are these just short-movies ? How is the level editor ? Is it simple to use but deep to use at its full potentiel ? Is it long to achieve to make a 1 min "experience" ? Do you only need a dualshock ? What is the content provided by MM ?

The fuck was that MM?

Disappointing.
you sir, lack imagination lol...

It's one of the most powerful creative tools ever to come to home consoles from the look of things.

You can sculpt anything your imagination can come up with, we just don't know the gameplay limitations of the system yet.

When Shawn Layden came back on, he said, you can create games, plays, scenes, whatever you want.

Shin-Ra

http://www.mediamolecule.com/blog/article/announcing_our_new_project_dreams
Today we’re showing you a glimpse into some of our dreams. In making LittleBigPlanet and Tearaway, we’ve learnt a lot about digital creativity. The next step on this journey is Dreams. Dreams is a space where you go to play and experience the dreams of Media Molecule and our community. It’s also a space in which to create your own dreams, whether they’re games, art, films, music or anything in-between and beyond. Quite frankly, it’s a lovely place and we’d very much like you to visit as soon as we’re ready to accept guests. If any of this sounds like your cup of tea, or you’re curious about what this all really means, watch out for Paris Games Week in October.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @mediamolecule to see more about Dreams in the coming months!

Dreams is a space where you go to play and experience the dreams of Media Molecule and our community.
Play creations by Media Molecule and the community. So hopefully that means there'll be a full set of Mm-made levels, like LBP.

It’s also a space in which to create your own dreams, whether they’re games, art, films, music or anything in-between and beyond.
And of course you can create your own to play and share.

Stampy

I may be wrong, but I think the idea is that one 'dream' will end and blend into another seamlessly. So it's sort of an endless feed of stuff. I would guess there'll be a web backend kind of like LBP where you can look up and insert stuff into your dream sequence.

It could be interesting, creatively, if there's a time limit per dream...going by the principle of constraint being good for creativity. But I guess people who want to make bigger, longer things might not like that.

That would be awful. I know it would make sense within the context of dreams, but i am just hoping its a buzzword more than anything (instead of projects, you are talking about dreams).

As a filmmaker who also love games and game design, this is what intrigue me the most so far at this E3.
How will this play ? Are these just short-movies ? How is the level editor ? Is it simple to use but deep to use at its full potentiel ? Is it long to achieve to make a 1 min "experience" ? Do you only need a dualshock ? What is the content provided by MM ?

We have 0 answears for all those questions. :) PGS it is for more info.

I have never owned a Playstation. This game might change that. I watched the Sony conference out of boredom, and out of everything shown, this one just hit all the right notes for me.

boeso

I can imagine this being fun with a few mates round the sofa and a few controllers just messing around. Not sure if I'd play this any other time though.

Stampy

This is some yummy stuff. Just look at the bubbles to see the diversity and all the possibilities. (I created two parts, because one was not long enough to fit it all with these web gifmakers)

LnKU9jN.gif

veXPXXs.gif

But this gifs don't do it justice it has to be viewed 1080p in full screen and then analyze.

Stampy

Yeah I know, I just wrote down the questions I asked myself after watching the trailer for the third time ;)

Although I said we don't know answers to this question, lot's of this stuff is evident from this, previous reveals, and what they have been saying on web and interviews. So I have to correct myself. :)

How will this play ?

It's a play/create/share type of game. You can only create stuff (if you want), you can only play/view other people's dreams (if you want), or you can do both. regarding the creation aspect we have no idea how it will work with regards to user logic, game physics, camera, work texturing, lighting and stuff like that. But we know that 3d sculpting and animation is simple. With precise motion input.

The playing part will be standard DS, although you will probably be able to create also Move only games. They said in an interview they would be crazy not to allow DS play.

Are these just short-movies ?

Nope, this is play/create/share concept introduced with LBP, but on steroids.

How is the level editor ?

Of that we have no idea. Only slight concept glimpse was seen at PS4 reveal when they were placing sculpts in the level.

Is it simple to use but deep to use at its full potential ?

Yes, this is exactly what Alex Evans said in their PS4 reveal conference.

Is it long to achieve to make a 1 min "experience" ?

Probably. :) As always good work requires time, no simple tool will remedy that. :) But if you want to sketch something you can be probably pretty quick.

Do you only need a dualshock ?

Yes, they said so in an interview (that you will be able play with DS, they are not aiming to alienate crowds). But Move will make it probably much easier.

What is the content provided by MM ?

That we will have to wait and see. My bet is a dream with a nightmare that invades other dreams and you try to protect them from it, and so you get an option to visit different worlds while trying to save them. Standard clicheized story telling. MM are usually not breaking ground on this front.

I have no idea what this is but it looked very original and interesting.

Knowing MM it will probably turn out to be amazing.....whatever it is.

djjinx2

Hopefully each made "level" is controllable and can have other things going on

Homemade Silent Hills baby!!!

This is one of the most amazing looking games I've ever seen. I'm absolutely floored by the visuals.

Yeah me too...whatever they are doing in this...if the game actually looks like that when rendering playable scenes...I think the visual bar has been raised. And the art is incredible.

Dmonzy

The key to this game's success will be how smooth and easy it is to connect with others and play other's content.

I hope they do what Bungie did with Halo 3 and use a website to host the levels that people create. It's much easier to go to a website for a quick download to the ps4 rather than slowly searching within the game.

PensOwl

Banned
Is there going to be community shared assests? It takes a long time already to build an lbp level, but to sculpt and animate everything would be a lot of work for most people who aren't hugely passionate about these things

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Trailer was beautifully done. I'm really interested in this but I think it needs Move support (if it doesn't have it already). Would offer more precise control for modelling and animation I would think.

Endo Punk

This such a step up from LBP. I know sackboy is iconic but I found nothing iconic about the franchise. Sackpeople could turn into so many people yet the IP had no personality. Now this is something I am totally on board with, but MM is right, it's definitely going to take time for the game to sink in compared to the immediate appeal of titles like Horizon and UC.

Duke Togo

Very cool concept. I can't wait to see this streamed with viewer requests. I'm no artist, but I think I'll get it to see what other people come up with.

I can't wrap my head around what this is, but there is an undeniably magical power to what I saw. I'll happily embrace the whole surreal, abstract nature of it all as long as it's actually fun to play. It's going to be a tough sell to the mainstream either way.

Top Bottom