• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mevius: Final Fantasy screenshots [Up: more screens and art]

Nudull

Banned
I love how some people are complaining up and down about the character design. If it was a woman, dudes would be silent. :p

It's a fairly ridiculous design, but considering longtime trends in character designs, it's somewhat refreshing.

glaurung

mevius-final-fantasy_j1j0z.jpg
Hello new phone wallpaper!

This is a mobile device game I presume?

Sorry, I've been offline during the holidays.

UrbanRats

Vaan (slightly up thread) is closer to sane male sexualisation (though much like this guy he seems to excessively value his legs' protection). It's more than the outfit is hilariously ridiculous. I mean, is that an apron or what?

Looks like sort of swimsuit to me.
It's obviously designed around being sexy looking, and the armor doesn't make much sense, but it doesn't necessarily have to, is my point.
And male sexualization is not as pervasive as to be an issue (the opposite, i'd say), so i'm kind of finding this interesting, myself.

They have Nojima writing it so I guess it depends how you feel about him.

Nojima/Kitase teaming up again is great in my book.
I just hope the future of their collaborations isn't kept strictly to mobile games. As good (technically) as this is looking, I just can't imagine myself ever getting as excited for a cell-phone/tablet game as I would a console game. :/

SerTapTap

Honestly, this looks like a literal translation of some of Amano's designs.

....Waaaay too literal.

Most games based on Amano's designs have been about as faithful to the designs as possible given the respective console's abilities (and a different art style of course...an actual game looking like Amano art would be pretty amazing though). FF design's pretty often crazy, but there's different types of crazy.

Not really getting Amano out of this anyway.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Cannot be complaining. This and FFXV aren't targeting me and that's all right. I love me some scantily clad ladies, and this is the opposite version. Everyone is happy. Chicken dragon is phenomenal.

SerTapTap

Looks like sort of swimsuit to me.
It's obviously designed around being sexy looking, and the armor doesn't make much sense, but it doesn't necessarily have to, is my point.
And male sexualization is not as pervasive as to be an issue (the opposite, i'd say), so i'm kind of finding this interesting, myself.

It's just sort of weird that him literally not wearing a top would look less awkward by quite a lot. The shoulder/leg armor's kinda funny too, even chainmail-bikini style armor is at least consistent with not actually providing proper protection.

Don't mind male sexualization at all, just don't care for this particular design. Mostly just the...shirt? really, just stands out compared to the rest.

Adaren

It's kind of interesting to see the exposed armpits/exposed back design that's applied to so many female characters on a male.

As far as sexy JRPG designs go, I don't think it's too bad. I kind of like it, in fact!

dramatis

Same level of awful. Now we just need to see if he's the same level of whiny character.
You're probably remembering a different FF12, because while there were a few bad scenes, Vaan wasn't all that much whiny. He was just not that much involved in the main plot, and that was his main weakness as a character.

wanders

People always wanted a game with Amano's character designs come to life and now that we do people complain

Though I do think it's a little too much

Ezalc

You're probably remembering a different FF12, because while there were a few bad scenes, Vaan wasn't all that much whiny. He was just not that much involved in the main plot, and that was his main weakness as a character.

Yeah, it's just his voice that comes across as super whiny to me.

You mean the guy who did designs like this?

Seems on par with what he usually does.

And yeah, I think if it was a woman wearing that you wouldn't see most people here complain.

You take that back, Kuja is fabulous as hell.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Finally a chance to play as a less masculine Edge Maverick with less clothing too.

All kidding aside though, this looks impressive. iPhone 6 and especially iPad Air 2 are packing some seriously powerful hardware. It'll be cool to see what can be achieved when a big developer like Square Enix put real effort into an original title.

Oregano

How does Square model their character's hair?

The MC's character model doesn't look that detailed/complex apart from that glorious hair of his.

Other than that on a technical level this looks pretty damn great. The environments look like there's a few rough textures here and there but overall it looks superb.

HeelPower

His outfit really does look like an LR outfit.

I like the quality of the pics.Its really surprising for a phone game.

But I don't think the western phone game market is looking for a game like this.

In Japan idk.

Top Bottom