• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mevius: Final Fantasy screenshots [Up: more screens and art]

Berordn

I confess, the wardrobe is the reason I'm going to play this at some point.

Mainly because I want to see what a trainwreck it is for the rest of this world.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That design is awful.

But for the record so is this.
Ffxiii_2_serah_cg_render.png

LuuKyK

I am not even going to question how practical that armor is, because I am the first to claim that the games are called Final FANTASY for a reason and the series has a history of prioritizing style over practicality (outfits wise), so how real the armor is is the less important thing for me, but this... its just ugly and ridiculous looking. A shame because the art direction aside from that looks cool. But then again, the fact that this is a mobile game to begin with doesn't inspire much confidence already.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My problem isn't the sexualization, it's the actual outfit. A loincloth would look better. The armor thighs in particular are bothering me.

Just when you can't believe they could make a more feminine protagonist, SE raise that bar one more notch.

Kind of looks like a really buff, platinum blonde Kate Beckinsale actually.

Still, makes a nice change to the all too often dodgy Japanese games pandering to the rapey underage fetishists. Might obviously be aimed at an audience with some unusual kinks mind, but at least the guy looks like he's of a consenting age, and not victimised for it.

KoopaTheCasual

Most games based on Amano's designs have been about as faithful to the designs as possible given the respective console's abilities (and a different art style of course...an actual game looking like Amano art would be pretty amazing though). FF design's pretty often crazy, but there's different types of crazy.

Not really getting Amano out of this anyway.
Reminds me of Bartz's artwork. Those concept shots were the definition of skimp.

Zoe

Yet it looked "fine" on a girl. Some costume just isn't meant to be worn by male, no matter how pretty the guy's face is.

This. Noel's top was skin tight too, but he looked a hell of a lot more sexy than this. This just looks ridiculous.

I was thinking the same thing. It took a Japanese company to finally break that glass ceiling.

God bless, Square Enix.

Finally?

Hrmmm...well...is this progressive? Regressive? Redressive?

Or just plain bad?

Visuals look impressive, doubt it will look much like that on mobiles in motion though.

Just when you can't believe they could make a more feminine protagonist, SE raise that bar one more notch.

Kind of looks like a really buff, platinum blonde Kate Beckinsale actually.

Still, makes a nice change to the all too often dodgy Japanese games pandering to the rapey underage fetishists. Might obviously be aimed at an audience with some unusual kinks mind, but at least the guy looks like he's of a consenting age, and not victimised for it.

Yup, time to leave the thread.

Will just wait for the future trailer somewhere else.

Square character design really took a nosedive with their first generation of PS2 games. The Bouncer was a good indication of the shit to come.

edit: I forgot about Zell. Good lord.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I can see a design continuity in impossible / absurd sexualized clothes with Cidney in FFXV:

The thing is though there are lots of general design situations where female mechanics are designed like that. In both JP and Western games / art.

Hey, I'm a huge JRPG fan, and imported the collectors edition of Senran Kagura for the Vita, but Japan's increasing reliance on obsessive niche fandoms for sales, idolisation of youth, and fixation on 'cuteness' has led to a definite increase in number of games with content and character designs that are uncomfortably dodgy at best, and in the case of games appealing to the moe crowd and the like, creepy as fuck at worse.

Hey, I'm a huge JRPG fan, and imported the collectors edition of Senran Kagura for the Vita, but Japan's increasing reliance on obsessive niche fandoms for sales, idolisation of youth, and fixation on 'cuteness' has led to a definite increase in number of games with content and character designs that are uncomfortably dodgy at best, and in the case of games appealing to the moe crowd and the like, creepy as fuck at worse.

Those games have always existed. The only difference now is that they're being brought to the west.

dramatis

Yet it looked "fine" on a girl. Some costume just isn't meant to be worn by male, no matter how pretty the guy's face is.

IMO, nothing is wrong w that design except the shoes look misplaced. However, Mevius: FF's design.. is pretty awful. That thigh/hamstring piece needs to go.

The thing is though there are lots of general design situations where female mechanics are designed like that. In both JP and Western games / art.

Lol. The "It's fine for girls, but not fine for guys" crowd.

There's absolutely nothing "impossibly sexualized". She's just unnecessarily lewd.
I imagine he meant absurdly sexualized, which Cindy absolutely is.

There's absolutely nothing "impossibly sexualized". She's just unnecessarily lewd.

This isn't nearly the same.

The Mevius design strikes a halfway point between practicality and total nonsense, that's why it's so off-putting.

This one isn't that out of wack with series tradition...just that visuals have gotten more realistic. Having her top unbutton to that extent isn't really necessary though.

Cidney's clothes are nonsense. There's no reason to wear such a short jacket, then zip it only at the beginning and leave the cleavage, unless you want an extreme sexualized character; in particular, if you are a mechanic, and you are working under cars. I could have understood such a design if she was a stripper or a showgirl, or if she was in party. In such situation is completely nonsense and out of place.

Wait, that girl is Cid?! o_O

It seems so.

HeelPower

Everyone,not just Japan, relies on sex to sell stuff.

I just didn't get that much of sexualization and kink-focused vibe from this character like you said.

But hey that's just me.

Those games have always existed. The only difference now is that they're being brought to the west.

They've always existed, sure, but the general collapse of the traditional games market in Japan (and economy more broadly) has had the knock on effect of such games becoming more prevalent as their obsessive customer base continues to spend cash while the broader audience either moves to mobile or abandons gaming entirely for lack of disposable income.

It's certainly not the majority of Japan's output by any stretch, but I've certainly found myself shacking my head more and more over the last few years due to the content of a lot of that countries output.

Then I shrug and play Persona 3 or 4 again.

Everyone,not just Japan, relies on sex to sell stuff.

I just didn't get that much of sexualization and kink-focused vibe from this character like you said.

But hey that's just me.

Of course everyone relies on sex to sell stuff. Sex is awesome, and we should all be more comfortable and mature with it. Japan just goes a bit far toward the whole cute and young side of sexy far too often these days IMO.

And the hyper feminised male look, with a lot of exposed skin and armour that borders on fetish gear screams kinky to me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cidney's clothes are nonsense. There's no reason to wear such a short jacket, then zip it only at the beginning and leave the cleavage, unless you want an extreme sexualized character; in particular, if you are a mechanic, and you are working under cars. I could have understood such a design if she was a stripper or a showgirl, or if she was in party. In such situation is completely nonsense and out of place.

Is this girl a stripper to you?
or these?

From the Interview

Then they comment on each other's new projects. Kitase shows Mevius FF on an iPhone and Nexus 5.

The interviewer is wowed by the graphics. Kitase explains that in the latest iOS8 they use a graphics API called Metal.

He says that although you select the places you want to go on the map and you are automatically transported there, the exploration of the fields, the strategic battles and the leveling systems conform to the orthodox FF games.

The scenario is by Nojima so the story will be on par with a numbered game, featuring refined plot twists.

So yeah it looks like they are intending to design it like a traditions FF RPG of sorts? Certainly not coming through on the screenshots though

Top Bottom