• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ansel has found SNES Rayman

SalvaPot

He could put this up on ebay and use the money to make Beyond Good and Evil 2, right? Right?

kidding, of course

I think it could be a neat little extra to unlock in a new Rayman game, call it "The Lost Levels"

Those background gfx sure are gorgeous. Rayman, not so much.

Ninty doesn't allowed unpublished games on VC.

Just create your own emulator and publish it as Super Rayman SNES on the eShop. Or make it free for those that pre-order the next Rayman game. Plenty of ways around getting it in fans hands and making a buck off of it.

Just create your own emulator and publish it as Super Rayman SNES on the eShop. Or make it free for those that pre-order the next Rayman game. Plenty of ways around getting it in fans hands and making a buck off of it.

IIRC, there was even a precedent of Bandai Namco releasing one of Super Famicom Dragon Ball games for EU New Nintendo 3DS Dragon Ball bundle, way before SNES VC for N3DS was even considered.

And of course there is Super Star Wars on PS4, LOL

MacTag

Banned
That was published on Japan, translations or just releases for games that haven't been localized yet but have been released are A-Ok.
It's not a new translation (like S&P or MW4), it's an unpublished version of the game with key changes beyond just localization. It's very literally an unreleased NES game.

This seems like an arbitrary rule anyway, and like all VC stuff something we guess is a hard and fast rule without any real insight into it. At one point I'm sure people said the same thing about imports on VC (before DoReMi Fantasy), new translations on VC (before Sin & Punishment), content altered releases on VC (before Wave Race 64), unreleased versions of games on VC (before Earthbound Beginnings) and romhacks on VC (before Donkey Kong Original Edition). People assume something is a rule or standard until it suddenly isn't and possibly never was.

Chittagong

Gold Member
14733239_1767652220154198_1014088855722131456_n.jpg

This is the new whatyearisit.gif

Lijik

honestly id settle for a video playthru but a rom dump in some form (maybe as an easter egg in BG&E2?) would be awesome

Hilarion

Just call it Rayman Zero, bundle it with an SNES emulator, and put it out for $10 (so high because it's never been released before). You could do versions for all four platforms (PC + Switch, PS4, and XBox1). You could even stick in soundtrack and concept art stuff as a bonus.

I mean, I don't know how well it'd sell, if at all, but it's literally found money for Ubisoft.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. I love when lost stuff like this resurfaces.

Zubz

Banned

Well, it's not a 100% no; I know Miyamoto's basically on the top-rung at Nintendo, but maybe he can be convinced to throw it in somewhere? After Zero, though, I fear Nintendo's going to pull an Other M and avoid the series like the plague because it didn't do well, rather than reflect on what led to the problems in the first place.

IIRC, there was even a precedent of Bandai Namco releasing one of Super Famicom Dragon Ball games for EU New Nintendo 3DS Dragon Ball bundle, way before SNES VC for N3DS was even considered.

And of course there is Super Star Wars on PS4, LOL

Don't forget SEGA's 3D Classics! Getting Gunstar Heroes, Ecco, the first 2 Sonic/Streets of Rage games in 3D with additional features on top of all of that was a treat.

It's not that publishers can't get this stuff somewhere, it's that it takes more effort than they see a cancelled game as being worth. That said, more people should make the effort, and I'd love to see Ancel do something with this! It's really weird that he singled-out the Switch; it may be due to its newness, but maybe he already has something in mind?

Zubz

Banned
Put it in BG&E2?

I was wondering about that, because...

Was that Switch comment supposed to be a joke? I sure hope so.

We know Ancel is working on BG&E2, and leaks are giving us every reason to believe it'll be Switch exclusive. If this is just a prototype ROM, I doubt this is a full game they can release as a spin-off, and I don't know if they'd be able to go back and finish it without wasting time & resources on what'd just be a novelty if they finished it now. If they put what they have on here into BG&E2 ala the original 2D Rayman 2 in the final release, that'd be a pretty easy job for them while still being a cool extra people would want to see.

-sdp

Ninty doesn't allowed unpublished games on VC.

We know that was true in the Wii era from an interview on why we didn't get a specific title and before Wiiware was available which at this point the VC started ten years ago and Nintendo has changed their handling of digital/store/VC so we don't really know anymore. I'm sure if they really wanted they'd find a way to release it. We've seen unreleased games and hacks, in the beginning even import games weren't considered.

SalvaPot

It's not a new translation (like S&P or MW4), it's an unpublished version of the game with key changes beyond just localization. It's very literally an unreleased NES game.

This seems like an arbitrary rule anyway, and like all VC stuff something we guess is a hard and fast rule without any real insight into it. At one point I'm sure people said the same thing about imports on VC (before DoReMi Fantasy), new translations on VC (before Sin & Punishment), content altered releases on VC (before Wave Race 64), unreleased versions of games on VC (before Earthbound Beginnings) and romhacks on VC (before Donkey Kong Original Edition). People assume something is a rule or standard until it suddenly isn't and possibly never was.

Well, we don't make the rules so we don't really know how bendable they are, if I had to guess it is on a case-to-case basis.

maxcriden

I was wondering about that, because...

We know Ancel is working on BG&E2, and leaks are giving us every reason to believe it'll be Switch exclusive. If this is just a prototype ROM, I doubt this is a full game they can release as a spin-off, and I don't know if they'd be able to go back and finish it without wasting time & resources on what'd just be a novelty if they finished it now. If they put what they have on here into BG&E2 ala the original 2D Rayman 2 in the final release, that'd be a pretty easy job for them while still being a cool extra people would want to see.

2D Rayman 2??

ReaperXL7

I think it's pretty hilarious that people think Ubisoft is going to allow anyone to just release the game to the public. They will absolutely sell it to you as a digital download, but they aren't going to give it out for free.

Second post is so good I just pretend that's the first post.

I didn't know Rayman starts its development on SNES. Those graphics looks Genesis tho.

Ancel just needs to do a Switch version of it!

"Just create your own emulator" is not that simple.

Higan can be licensed for a couple thousand dollars, IIRC, but that's not a particularly efficient option, and the other big emu's authors have disappeared.

Sapiens

Love prototypes! Really puts it into perspective how much of a quantum leap the Jaguar version was over this SNEs thing.

Love prototypes! Really puts it into perspective how much of a quantum leap the Jaguar version was over this SNEs thing.

Oh I don't know.
It seems that the SNES one is pushing 2 players, and considering it's unfinished and the obvious hardware differences looks very comparable.

I really hope someone dumps this as I would love to get my hands on it.

Top Bottom