• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ansel has found SNES Rayman

00ich

Oh my god. What's wrong with your faaaaaace?!

516zqXKmkDL.jpg

Minions

I hope this gets dumped. I'd love to see how far they got developing it. Doesn't look too bad. Rayman looks a little odd though lol. Unreleased/Prototype games are always exciting when they finally reach the light of day.

Ninty doesn't allowed unpublished games on VC.
Except for Earthbound on NES, right?
I mean I know it released in Japan, but what we got in the west is 100% the unreleased prototype with all its additions that the Japanese version didn't have (B to run, different dungeon layout in Mt. Itoi, the address epilogue, census enemy sprites, etc.).

That said there should be no reason to not release games on VC just because they didn't actually release back then.

Blam

I hope this gets dumped. I'd love to see how far they got developing it. Doesn't look too bad. Rayman looks a little odd though lol. Unreleased/Prototype games are always exciting when they finally reach the light of day.

Yeah I'd love to see it dumped.

Sakujou

Banned
never liked rayman 1, but rayman 2, origins and legends were simply stellar games.

would love to see a rom dump, but since its ubi soft, they wont release this instead they will milk it.

First, it's not Ancel who found it, it's Frédéric Houde, Rayman's co-creator. Congrats to every news site for getting it wrong.

That honestly depends on your interpretation of word "find". I lost a phone, someone handed it to me, so I found it at theirs. "Have you found your phone yet?" "Yes."

OldMuffin

Yes please! Not really a fan of Rayman, but it would be great to play what once could have been, and wish more developers/ publishers follow suit and release games that were essentially finished at the time. We need ways to archive our video game history for generations to come :)

Chev

That honestly depends on your interpretation of word "find". I lost a phone, someone handed it to me, so I found it at theirs. "Have you found your phone yet?" "Yes."
No, you don't get it, Ancel's whole involvement in this story so far is reposting the photos Houde sent him on his instagram. He wasn't handed the prototype, it's Houde who has it, searched for it and found it at Ubi Montpellier, made the captures, is preparing a video, etc. Sites are saying it's Ancel because they don't even know Rayman had a co-creator and that'd be too much research.

You wouldn't say you found your phone if it's your friend who found his.

No, you don't get it, Ancel's whole involvement in this story so far is reposting the photos Houde sent him on his instagram. He wasn't handed the prototype, it's Houde who has it, searched for it and found it at Ubi Montpellier, made the captures, is preparing a video, etc. Sites are saying it's Ancel because they don't even know Rayman had a co-creator and that'd be too much research.

If it was our common phone I'd say it's been found when asked if I found it.

Comet

Houde is that you?

Previously we had seen this:

ImFicbl.jpg

This would be interesting to see in motion. The sprite work looks great outside of that weird fat Rayman. But I love seeing games in their early stages.

Next up we need the original Rayman 2 2D platformer beta and the cancelled Sega 32X port of Rayman.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
This would be interesting to see in motion. The sprite work looks great outside of that weird fat Rayman. But I love seeing games in their early stages.

Next up we need the original Rayman 2 2D platformer beta and the cancelled Sega 32X port of Rayman.

Yeah, it's a real shame Michel Ancel can't find a working ROM of the game and record footage of it...

Oh wait-

Seriously, Michel, what are you doing?

Second, for those who think it's gonna be released, what was found is a single prototype level with no enemies, not a finished game. The SNES was dropped early in the process. It's not a game, it's just Rayman running around.

So you're saying there's a chance the Rayman proto will be released as a Nintendo Switch launch title?

FIRST FOOTAGE.

Ancel says there may be other builds hiding in the attic.

Rayman was much chubbier and slower in his original state. But the footage looks great overall.

a 2D prototype of Rayman 2, yes. This is Rayman 1 before the jump to optical format.

I didn't know this. But I still have memories of seeing the 2D version of Rayman 2 in old gaming magazines back in the day. Same with Rayman for the Sega 32x, I don't actually know if this version was in development, but there were magazines reporting on a 32x version with screenshots.

Qwark

Would the 32X version of the game have been closer to the SNES version or PS1 version? Maybe nobody knows, but I'm just curious if 32X was seriously being considered because of the increased power and the timeline of when each version was canceled.

Would the 32X version of the game have been closer to the SNES version or PS1 version? Maybe nobody knows, but I'm just curious if 32X was seriously being considered because of the increased power and the timeline of when each version was canceled.

Obviously no one knows for sure, but chances are it would be more like what we got in the end gameplay-wise, with some amount of graphics nerf, closer to DOS version than PS1 if not way worse than that. Many of the changes are not due to hardware but general idea development.

I think it would have been similar to the Atari Jaguar version, or at least a port of that game. I could only imagine that the cartridge limitations of the 32x would have been comparable to that of the Atari Jaguar, and therefor, we would have seen much of the same content between the two.

Top Bottom