• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces $499 500GB XB1 bundle with Kinect & 3 games

even if this bundle will only sell 100k units this November and December in the us, it's a success

50 million revenue and a good gross margin.
xbox one 500gb + Kinect was 499 2 year ago. the manufacturing costs went heavily down since and the games are either old backlog first party, or a dlc based game with even more possible revenue coming in.

MS need to chill the fuck out. There's too many damn bundles.

one more to come.
just look at the uk market. 20 different bundles for each console

oti

Banned
They're not even selling this bundle in Germany. Which is the right choice. Nobody would buy that over here.

What-year-is-it.jpg

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Well its a choice. If you don't want kinect there are 8 or 9 other bundles without it. I'm sure there are families out there that want to play motion games like Dance Central, but don't want to pay $150 for Kincet separately. So a bundle with three game might appeal to them. Its just another choice. Don't understand why folks don't want more choices.

I was pointing out that your notion of a complete Xbox One experience is meaningless because if a person doesn't have use for Kinect, then it's a waste of money. I'm not suggesting that Kinectless bundles don't exist, but rather that a Kinect is not necessary in order to feel that the console alone is complete.

Steroyd

I don't see the problem here. They're giving a variety of different options with the bundles to appeal to different audiences. They may not appeal to the majority of us here on GAF, but there are others who prefer Kinect and its games and Lego Movie over Gears and Tomb Raider.

Best deal though imo is still the Gears/Rare Replay/Ori Bundle. 1TB, 36 games, $399. Lot to keep gamers busy for a long time.

Value, Neogaf's cheapass thread could most likely find a Xbox One and a Lego game for way cheaper than what the bundle is selling as an example.

Seeing these prices makes me think that we will see a 50$ price cut on all bundles at there October 6th event.

All of these bundles off less then what was offered last year with the ACU bundle at 350$.

Troy

Banned
that's still not how it works
there are still million people out there, who did not buy into current gen
there are still people out there, who had no interest in an xbox one with Kinect 2013 for 499
but are now with 3 games for free, more Kinect games released and better voice input via cortana.

this bundle will not sell gangbusters, but it will sell some units
edit: also the just dance audience. they won't stay on wii forever
500 is a high price, but some will jump into

Of course it's going to sell some(the Xbox One even sells 200 units a week in Japan), but it's not going to sell enough to be worthy of "Holiday Special Bundle" status. At 500 dollars this is an atrocious "deal".

TalonJH

As a matter of fact you can, they've been selling kinect as a standalone product since last year.
http://news.xbox.com/2014/08/xbox-one-standalone-kinect

They've also offered an adapter to use kinect on PC not long after.
It's in stock at my local best buy for $149.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...lack/8462033.p?id=1219336313412&skuId=8462033

Pick up in store available

Okay, it seemed like a missed opportunity otherwise. Thanks.

Yoday

Now that I think about it, this bundle is just repurposing the stock that's already on shelves, isn't is? They could easily send retailers cards that have all three game codes on them, slip them into the boxes, and then throw a new slip cover on the box.

Troy

Banned
All 4 bundles were announced already.

There's 5 now. A 6th on the way.

Now that I think about it, this bundle is just repurposing the stock that's already on shelves, isn't is? They could easily send retailers cards that have all three game codes on them, slip them into the boxes, and then throw a new slip cover on the box.

I imagine every bundle so far is doing this. All MS does is print out slipcovers and slide them over old Xbox Ones. Someone at the store that sells them opens the boxes up and slips in the included games and calls it a day. If you want a special bundle, you gotta pay more for the limited edition versions.

All 4 bundles were announced already.

Well 4 bundles have been announced, but we're getting one tomorrow that is being teased as the best one.

Obviously Fallout 4.

And I'm not getting the hyperbole from some in this thread. That Rare Replay-Ori-Gears bundle seemed to have a consensus that it was amazing value, the Tomb Raider bundle was expected and is your standard new game bundle, the Lego Bundle is clearly for kids. The Kinect one is odd, but that hardly makes it an awful week. Oh well, typical exaggeration on the internet I suppose.

Fat4all

Banned
And I'm not getting the hyperbole from some in this thread. That Rare Replay-Ori-Gears bundle seemed to have a consensus that it was amazing value, the Tomb Raider bundle was expected and is your standard new game bundle, the Lego Bundle is clearly for kids. The Kinect one is odd, but that hardly makes it an awful week. Oh well, typical exaggeration on the internet I suppose.

I don't see how it's hyperbolic to call both these bundle terrible values when they clearly are. "Not for you" is a stupid excuse.

Pavaloo

Target demographics, how do they work?

If all the games ar e digital codes I wouldn't be surprised if they are clearing some first year consoles.

Fat4all

Banned
Last bundle should include 4 copies of D4 so people can give them to friends and everyone can see how amazing it is.

Target demographics, how do they work?

If all the games ar e digital codes I wouldn't be surprised if they are clearing some first year consoles.

iirc physical copies are never in Xbox One bundles, at least in NA.

I don't see how it's hyperbolic to call both these bundle terrible values when they clearly are. "Not for you" is a stupid excuse.

so am i allowed to call the limited edition battlefront ps4 bundle and the halo 5 one terrible value?

i do agree on the lego one, but this bundle is not bad value.
it's a normal 500gb 349$ bucks xbox one including Kinect for 149$ and you get 2 free games on top: (yes old ones, but still free on top)

449 would have been a stellar price, though

How are the Tomb Raider and Rare bundles terrible exactly?

Edit: Ahh, "both". I admit the Kinect bundle is very odd, doesn't have much value, and probably isn't going to see many units. However, the Gears one isn't too bad. Lots of fans of the trilogy, and the white console is pretty hot.

Bolivar687

Banned
Looking at the bundles they had going into this week, it really feels like almost none of these have any reason to exist. I hope that Tomb Raider one isn't as limited as it looks. My guess is tomorrow is Fallout with a code for Skyrim on 360 with BC.

Papacheeks

Banned
Outside of the Rare Replay+Gears+Ori bundle the rest are not that attractive to me. Tomb raider bundle is decent, but would have been nice to get a newer game other than Definitive edition.

Was Hoping for 349.99 on these bundle prices like last year.

Looks like they don't want to lose as much money as they did last year. Even with the bigger hard drives.

Outside of the Rare Replay+Gears+Ori bundle the rest are not that attractive to me. Tomb raider bundle is decent, but would have been nice to get a newer game other than Definitive edition.

Was Hoping for 349.99 on these bundle prices like last year.

Looks like they don't want to lose as much money as they did last year. Even with the bigger hard drives.

what tomb raider games are newer than rotr and definitive edition?

GreatNumber

Unconfirmed Member
Gunna guess at the last two.
Fallout 4 bundle/Limited edition bundle 1Tb for $400
Halo 5 Limited Edition bundle 1Tb for $350 (didn't follow news of this being a thing)

Fat4all

Banned
Gunna guess at the last two.
Fallout 4 bundle/Limited edition bundle 1Tb for $400
Halo 5 Limited Edition bundle 1Tb for $350 or Halo 5 and Halo MCC Limited Edition bundle 1TB for $400

I feel that there almost has to be a Halo SOMETHING bundle this holiday season.

There's only one bundle left, and a Halo 5 bundle (1tb, $500) was already announced about a month ago. It'll be Fallout.

probably

The bundle announced Monday doesn't exist for a lot of people. UK won't be getting it among other countries.. neither will Gamestop in America. It's a good bundle but it's far too limited to be the main bundle this holiday.

As good as Tuesday's was, they're already released games, with 2/3 of them being remasters and all 3 were released at a cheaper price to begin with. It's a good bundle... it's just not something people will be rushing out to buy. They'll pick it up if they're buying an xbox one, but nothing about it screams "wow I need that bundle, such a good deal"

Like I said on the other topic, if tomorrows bundle isn't Fallout 4 + Rise of the TR I'll be seriously shocked. They didn't buy TR exclusivity to send it out to die, both games are yet to get any proper bundling and both come out on the same day. It makes too much sense to bundle both together at this point.

Keep deluding yourself.

Fat4all

Banned
Seems like the right/obvious move.

My only doubts on the chance of a bundle is I dunno how deep the marketing deal with Bethesda has gone. The announcement of no timed-exclusive DLC has me wondering, as the previous two Fallouts have had that.

Garlador

My only doubts on the chance of a bundle is I dunno how deep the marketing deal with Bethesda has gone. The announcement of no timed-exclusive DLC has me wondering, as the previous two Fallouts have had that.

Well, there sort of is a deal. Don't you get Fallout 3 for free if you get it on Xbox One?

cakely

$500 Xbox One with 500gb HD and Kinect?

With a bundle like that, Microsoft will definitely take the November 2013 NPDs.

They should have added Xbox Fitness there with few training programs. I don't understand why MS didn't make bigger noise about Xbox Fitness. It's best thing Kinect has to offer, for variety of people, and fitness/training is so popular right now.

TalonJH

I see the non-timed DLC announcement as making sure they don't anger the larger PS audience while still receiving the benefits of the buffed marketing budget thanks to MS.

Fat4all

Banned
Well, there sort of is a deal. Don't you get Fallout 3 for free if you get it on Xbox One?

There's a deal for sure, what we know of is the BC and the earlier mod support, but it seems less strong than before. There's a chance MS isn't perusing Fallout 4 as hard so they can focus more on marketing Tomb Raider, though.

I see the non-timed DLC announcement as making sure they don't anger the larger PS audience while still receiving the benefits of the buffed marketing budget thanks to MS.

Very likely as well.

Top Bottom