• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces $499 500GB XB1 bundle with Kinect & 3 games

Chris1

Keep deluding yourself.
Could be 500gb for $399, wouldn't be too far fetched really.

I don't believe that's going to be the only TR bundle when it's so limited, what would be the point in even buying exclusivity if you're just going to send the game out to die? The game didn't sell that well to begin with on xbox, releasing it on the same day as Fallout without heavily bundling it is just asking for the game to tank, and badly.

It makes no sense. Don't forget MS is publishing Rise of the TR so it'd be cheaper to bundle in than your usual 3rd party game. I'll gladly eat crow if TR has nothing to do with tomorrows bundles though.

Darksol

That's a terrible bundle and the only target demographic I can see for it are families... who probably don't want to spend $500.

hawk2025

I feel like $450 makes more sense (even before a supposed $50 holidays cut), but it's a reasonable Kinect-based bundle otherwise.

Troy

Banned
To the non-informed consumer, probably. I dunno, though.....

The poorly informed customer doesn't need to know Kinect sucks to know that when there's a PS4 or Xbox One bundle sitting next to it at 100+ dollars less, they're going to go that way. I have absolutely no idea who this terrible bundle is even being aimed at, but it sure isn't families.

Velikost

The Tomb Raider one was solid, and the Rare/Gears/Ori one was great. This Kinect bundle, not so much. You can get all that stuff for cheaper if you shop around or wait for some deals.

I feel bad for anyone trying to get a white Xbox that wants more storage though; I don't think a 1TB version exists yet, does it?

What.gif

What kind of bundle is that ....

Troy

Banned
They're not reintroducing it, they've never stopped selling it in a $499/499€ bundle.

Yep, continuing to sell it at the same price it failed miserably at. Brilliant marketing. I can only assume a large price drop is coming before this terrible bundle is released. And then combined with holiday sales it might make it semi-attractive...to someone.

Alx

Yep, continuing to sell it at the same price it failed miserably at. Brilliant marketing. I can only assume a large price drop is coming before this terrible bundle is released. And then combined with holiday sales it might make it semi-attractive...to someone.

The original bundle "failed" because gamers who didn't want kinect didn't want to pay for it. It doesn't mean that pack can't appeal to gamers who do want kinect, it's much better than buying the sensor separately.

watership

MS need to chill the fuck out. There's too many damn bundles.

I could have sworn that there were complaints about the lack of bundles last year. And although this isn't a great bundle for most here, It's not terrible if you want an X1 with Kinect. Still think the Rare Replay one is the best. Major Nelson said he's pretty excited for tomorrow's final bundle. Still thinking this will be Fallout 4 (which also includes FO3 of course).

Troy

Banned
The original bundle "failed" because gamers who didn't want kinect didn't want to pay for it. It doesn't mean that pack can't appeal to gamers who do want kinect, it's much better than buying the sensor separately.

Why would any gamer want Kinect? It's an unsupported add-on. It's usefulness comes down to voice commands, which is pretty much being done away with in the new UI. Why would anyone pay an extra 100+ dollars to do something that most every streaming media device does now much much cheaper? I honestly have no idea who this is targeted at.

Alx

As far as I'm concerned, TV IR control, fitness, dancing games, the handful of smaller and fun games, voice commands of course, some interesting features in specific games (like doing custom animations in Project Spark), and soon (hopefully), Cortana. And some people enjoy using it for streaming, Skype, and auto-login of multiple users, I've heard.
Kinect may not be largely supported as a gaming accessory (unfortunately), but it's still an important element in what makes the X1 more than "just another console".

EBE

it should come with a few Xbox fitness workouts. otherwise the bundle seems okay to me? Zoo Tycoon is a fun game. I might have thrown in Screamride, though. also a cool game

PhineasRed

Neo Member
Why would any gamer want Kinect? It's an unsupported add-on. It's usefulness comes down to voice commands, which is pretty much being done away with in the new UI. Why would anyone pay an extra 100+ dollars to do something that most every streaming media device does now much much cheaper? I honestly have no idea who this is targeted at.

What evidence is there that voice commands are "being done away with" in the new UI? Also, the Kinect is a pretty great add on, I would recommend it to any Xbox owner who plans on making it the central hub of their media center. In short, plenty of gamers would want a Kinect or currently enjoy the one they already own. I know a few people hopping into Xbox this month and they are specifically looking for a Kinect bundle (and all of them have kids).

Wagram

They better have a Fallout bundle because things are looking dire against a CoD and Star Wars PS4 bundle pack.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Good thing there are 40 other bundles to choose from.

The price on this one seems excessive.

Pif

Banned
I thought kinect was discontinued (?) and no further games would be made for it.

Curious to see Microsoft still pushing it.

gtj1092

It's like some don't remember X1 launched at $499 with kinect and sales proceeded to tank after the holiday.

The market already spoke there is no magical consumer/family out there who waited 2 years to buy a kinect bundle and at the same price. I wouldn't even be surprised if the kinects in these bundles are from early 2014.

Yes we understand you like voice commands but if it had any appreciable market appeal 99% of X1s sold wouldn't be kinectless.

watership

I thought kinect was discontinued (?) and no further games would be made for it.

Curious to see Microsoft still pushing it.

They may not make new games for it, but Kinect will be made and sold for as long as the Xbox One is available. Unless they sell just a cheaper omni-directional mic device to replace it.

So I guess tomorrow is the final bundle..according to Major Nelson it will be the "Best one yet" I really hope so because so far this week the only DECENT bundle is the Gears Of War Bundle with the Rare Replay and Ori game other than that its been pretty cheesy

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So I guess tomorrow is the final bundle..according to Major Nelson it will be the "Best one yet" I really hope so because so far this week the only DECENT bundle is the Gears Of War Bundle with the Rare Replay and Ori game other than that its been pretty cheesy

Maybe a Fallout 4/TR2 bundle.

I think the most exciting bundle they could put together would be Minecraft/Halo/TR2, it covers a huge swath of gaming.

PhineasRed

Neo Member
Yeah, I agree on the price point. I think the price is still $50 too high for this bundle, but I do think there is still a market for the Kinect and I'm glad they are not abandoning it completely. The one thing I will knock is the lack of worthwhile games that use it in a meaningful way. There has yet to be a Kinect game that really does anything for me.

Elandyll

Banned
The bundle announced Monday doesn't exist for a lot of people. UK won't be getting it among other countries.. neither will Gamestop in America. It's a good bundle but it's far too limited to be the main bundle this holiday.

As good as Tuesday's was, they're already released games, with 2/3 of them being remasters and all 3 were released at a cheaper price to begin with. It's a good bundle... it's just not something people will be rushing out to buy. They'll pick it up if they're buying an xbox one, but nothing about it screams "wow I need that bundle, such a good deal"

Like I said on the other topic, if tomorrows bundle isn't Fallout 4 + Rise of the TR I'll be seriously shocked. They didn't buy TR exclusivity to send it out to die, both games are yet to get any proper bundling and both come out on the same day. It makes too much sense to bundle both together at this point.
You're partially right.

It's going to be a $349 TR bundle available everywhere, because it just makes sense :)

shanafan

Very very poor choice. Fallout 4 would have been able to push this bundle with some in game voice command marketing thing. But come on. Too much gears. what the hell. Who decided these bundles.

Different bundles have to deal with different demographics. If a family was looking to purchase a kinect, this would be a ideal bundle because of the games included.

They just can't make a whole line of T or M rated bundles.

Maybe a Fallout 4/TR2 bundle.

I think the most exciting bundle they could put together would be Minecraft/Halo/TR2, it covers a huge swath of gaming.

I just hope its a 1TB XBOX ONE maybe a different color console I think that would be great. Wish it was something similar with the HALO 5 bundle coming out but without the hefty pricetag

Top Bottom