• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox One without Kinect for $399, releases June 9th

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PS4:
- $399
- Optional motion controller
- Paid online, no payment required for apps
- If you pay for online, you get bonus discounts and free games
- Sony exclusives
- Indie self-publishing

Xbox One:
- $499 $399
- Mandatory Optional motion controller
- Paid online, payment required no payment required for apps
- NEW: If you pay for online, you get bonus discounts and free games
- MS exclusives
- Indie self-publishing, with a parity clause
- Slightly less powerful

Tsundere

Banned
You really thought removing Kinect would knock more than $100 off the price? Just stop lol.

I expected a price cut alongside removing Kinect. To many, Kinect is useless, and adds no value. But it looks as if they're just removing the cost of Kinect, and not really slashing price across the board.

Sill too much for the lesser console. I'd consider biting at 300, but outside DR 3 and SO there is nothing that I want for Xbox. I'll wait for a Halo 5 or Gears bundle down the line.

Zukuu

Banned
shit just got real.
Sony still has the edge due to the better hardware and more positive buzz surrounding them, but now games decide even more than before.

Tigress

Well, 400 dollar price tag (I don't care if that was with or without Kinect) and getting rid of the live gold BS... MS finally got competitive. Sony better step up (sure, they may still have an advantage but this makes it so they can't relax).

Too bad people didn't force them to be back with the 360 (mainly talking about buying Live Gold despite the BS).

shit just got real.
Sony still has the edge due to the better hardware and more positive buzz surrounding them, but now games decide even more than before.

Better hardware but the differences people are seeing are debatable. Now that they removed the paywall for most things xbox one has some more features for that 400 dollar price tag.

UI will be not so pleasant to navigate without Kinect, how aobut "xbox record that", they shouldve made the whole package $399 really.

asdad123

Can I send my Kinect to MS for a $100 refund? I seriously didnt use the thing once since launch.

Love the actual console though lol.

TheHall

So the Xbox One is now just like a PS4, with a better controller but a slightly lower performance.

Let the games begin!

Tuesdayton.

Not completely unexpected. It should compete much better in the US market now at least.

I'm somewhat curious about how some of the early adopters feel about the extra $100 they paid for it now though. I remember a lot of rationalisation regarding its inclusion before, but whatever it did add to the package clearly hasn't been enough for the average consumer.

god...damn it!

OK well show me some damn good exclusives and I will bite, since being a pc gamer, and owning a ps4, the multiplats will probably perform better on those 2 than the xbone...damn it damn it damn it.... need me some exclusives...

1. Killer Instinct
2. Undead Labs game (assuming there isn't a pc version)
3. ??????

madmackem

Hmmmm at £350 in the uk it wont make any difference its been that price already since forever, you got titanfall and kinect console for that price now you get less for the same lol.

Micerider

Glad this happend (well, waiting a Euro confirmation).....might still go for a Kinect version if it only generates a 50 bucks premium over Kinectless (for casual "livingroom" Skyping only really...).

Still priced a bit above the "auto-purchase" point for me though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If this was announced a few months back my decision to go with PS4 would have been much harder. The Bone's library could have swayed me if the prices were the same at the time. Hopefully this is a sign of the next gen competition starting to get super heated.

emb

Cool news. One kinda has to wonder why this wasn't ready for launch though. Who'd have thought people would value the extra 100 bucks more than some nifty voice commands?

It's still not too late though, so here's hoping for a highly competitive gen 8. My already likely decision to purchase the Xbone around e3 just got a little more likely.

Typhares

Anyone else notice this? 'On Xbox One, active Gold membership required to play free games you’ve downloaded.'
Making it on par with PSN+ offer too.

good lord...

Only 6 months since launch. Ouch.
All of that time and R&D money spent. Must be a lot of furious shareholders over the whole X1 debacle.

Holly macaroni !

Just saw this on my facebook... wow, never thought MS would act that fast !!!

Now, let the real war begin ! Both PS4 and XB1 at the same price...FIGHT !

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Huh.

That + removal of gold for features (at the small print on the bottom of the site) has me pretty excited about looking into E3.

Joeku

I love a good fight.

The Xbox One is now cheaper than the PS4 in Canada. I'm very interested in seeing what happens this E3.

And I didn't even think of this up here.

Though considering Canada's luck as far as gaming goes of late, it'll probably be $450.

Top Bottom