• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox One without Kinect for $399, releases June 9th

Cool, so I'm going to be able to enable Dolby Digital over HDMI without having a Kinect (I sold mine, so I got a Kinectless X1 with Titanfall for $305 net price).

(yes, there are currently menu options in Settings that can't be accessed without a Kinect plugged in)

The right move but not good enough, imho. It's priced in line with the PS4 but being priced the same as the more powerful console isn't a good value proposition. I think $350 would have been ideal.

vertibird

Neo Member
Thought they would have waited untill E3.

Still. Its funny to see them backtrack even more after saying how critical Kinect was

woa, these are some good news!

Free games with Games with Gold**. Since Games with Gold launched on Xbox 360 a year ago, over 12 million people have enjoyed great free games, resulting in nearly 200 million hours of free fun playing Games with Gold titles. We’ve been learning from your feedback and have focused on making improvements each month to the selection of titles. To celebrate the one-year anniversary of Games with Gold for Xbox 360 and as a thank you for helping shape this program, members will receive an additional free Xbox 360 game in June. The Games with Gold titles for Xbox 360 in June are “Dark Souls,” “Charlie Murder” and a bonus game of “Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.” We’re pleased to bring Games with Gold to Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox One in June. Members will have subscription-based access to free games ranging from top hits to breaking indie stars. The program will launch on Xbox One with “Max: The Curse of Brotherhood” and “Halo: Spartan Assault.” A single Gold membership will get you access to the free games for both Xbox One and Xbox 360.
Exclusive Discounts. Deals with Gold will also launch for Xbox One in June, delivering discounts for great games each month, with significant savings for Xbox Live Gold members. The first titles offered in June will include “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” and a few other surprises. In the coming months, we will offer significant savings of up to 50 – 75 percent off certain titles. This program will continue to be available for Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox 360. And new on Xbox One, we will launch a virtual VIP room exclusive to Xbox Live Gold members where we will feature free games, monthly deals, and other great benefits.

Popular entertainment apps will be available for all Xbox 360 and Xbox One owners. Xbox 360 has been a leader in delivering entertainment experiences for years, with over 170 global entertainment apps and experiences available today. We’re constantly adding new partners and experiences to the growing catalog on Xbox One. Coming in June, anyone with an Xbox will be able to access popular entertainment experiences – whether or not you have an Xbox Live Gold membership. This includes great gaming apps like Machinima, Twitch and Upload, popular video services like Netflix, Univision Deportes, GoPro, Red Bull TV and HBO GO, sports experiences like the NFL app for Xbox One, MLB.TV, NBA Game Time, NHL Game Center and more.*** Microsoft experiences including Internet Explorer, Skype, OneDrive and OneGuide will also be available to all Xbox customers.**** You can find a full list of apps and features that will be available below.

fasTRapid

Banned
Lol, at this point they're straight copying Sony. Their april NPD's must have been almost non-existent and their Live numbers heavily declining to pull such a desperate stunt.

Now where is the Xbox chalkboard?

R_Deckard

972a3a3cba_nds62Bn.gif

cackhyena

So has Microsoft officially reversed every bad decision they made with the Xbox One now? Or is there a major one I'm not thinking of? There's the apps behind gold, but rumor is they're going to change that during E3.
There's stilted part where it's underpowered when it didn't have to be, I guess.

kulapik

Also confirming the removal of the Xbox Live Gold barrier?

Yep

Popular entertainment apps will be available for all Xbox 360 and Xbox One owners. Xbox 360 has been a leader in delivering entertainment experiences for years, with over 170 global entertainment apps and experiences available today. We’re constantly adding new partners and experiences to the growing catalog on Xbox One. Coming in June, anyone with an Xbox will be able to access popular entertainment experiences – whether or not you have an Xbox Live Gold membership. This includes great gaming apps like Machinima, Twitch and Upload, popular video services like Netflix, Univision Deportes, GoPro, Red Bull TV and HBO GO, sports experiences like the NFL app for Xbox One, MLB.TV, NBA Game Time, NHL Game Center and more.*** Microsoft experiences including Internet Explorer, Skype, OneDrive and OneGuide will also be available to all Xbox customers.**** You can find a full list of apps and features that will be available below.

I just don't feel this is enough. It's removing one of the Xbone's key features while still only matching the price of the PS4 which still outclasses it hardware wise... Oh well, hardly matters to me since it'll be a year or more before I even consider current gen hardware.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What a betrayal to the nearly 4 million who have already bought one and what about all that bollocks that Kinect was integral to the system. MS. You are full of it.

Sendou

I think Xbox One is now officially more compelling option for me personally than Playstation 4. Good job and keep it up Microsoft!

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Wow, counts as a major price drop at that. I wonder how sony will respond? The $100 gap was a major selling point for them.

Ps4 still holds the power advantage, but no longer the price.

FireCloud

But I wuz told it wouldn't work without Kinect?!!!

True. I thought I remembered hearing that as well. Though I don't know if it came directly from Microsoft. Probably did.

Funny thing is the XB1 is probably under powered compared to the PS4 because of their decision to include Kinect and try to get to a price point they thought would be competitive.

Now they are going to have to beat Sony's price to compete. With multi-plats being stronger (so far) on PS4 they will need some incentive to persuade people on the fence towards XB1.

Top Bottom