• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft anticipate PS5 Slim to release this year

Banjo64

cumsessed
Obviously, could be speculation, however could also be insider knowledge from a company who you’d expect to have the inside track.

From the FTC/Microsoft court case:

“Xbox Series S is sold for $50 less than the Switch OLED model,” Microsoft stated in their proposed findings of fact legal document.

PlayStation likewise sells a less expensive Digital Edition for $399.99, and is expected to release a PlayStation 5 Slim later this year at the same reduced price point.” A footnote on the same page touches on Project Q’s expected price as under $300, which would roughly convert to £235 / AU$450.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So physical slim only? No digital?
Physical only.

Fire This Is Fine GIF

mrmustard

Banned
I wonder if a smaller form factor will bring back fan noise. I have been thinking of getting a PS5 Slim, but wouldn't sacrifice quiet for a smaller form factor.
If i don't mess something up, the PS4 Slim was by far the most quiet PS4. Normal PS4 was a disgrace, first Pro was a jet engine and Pro revision was a vacuum cleaner with coil whine. So i wouldn't expect a PS5 Slim to be louder than the normal one.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Many people are underestimating how big this move will be. If Sony can sell this at $399 (or even $449), it will disrupt the market significantly. Xbox Series X will be $499.

A secondary advantage for Sony is that many people will opt not to buy the optional disc drive, which will increase their digital sales ratio even more.

This seemingly small move by Sony can prove catastrophic for Xbox console sales -- especially when coupled with the PS5 Pro next year.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Many people are underestimating how big this move will be. If Sony can sell this at $399 (or even $449), it will disrupt the market significantly. Xbox Series X will be $499.

A secondary advantage for Sony is that many people will opt not to buy the optional disc drive, which will increase their digital sales ratio even more.

This seemingly small move by Sony can prove catastrophic for Xbox console sales -- especially when coupled with the PS5 Pro next year.
If they are aiming the pro at 599 ... xbox x better lower the price

But I think that MS maybe shortening this gen ... if this ABK thing dosent complete for them I can see them abandoning the series consoles and starting fresh in 2025 or 26 ... the series consoles are just dead , starfield may uplift things for a while but dont think is going to be enough, and this two SKU approach they chose is going to start to put them behind, they have to remove the parity clause or they are fucked

Perhaps going directly against sony every gen is not the way to go .. time to try something different and like the 360 launch early and get some momentum going before the new playstation arrives

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If they are aiming the pro at 599 ... xbox x better lower the price

But I think that MS maybe shortening this gen ... if this ABK thing dosent complete for them I can see them abandoning the series consoles and starting fresh in 2025 or 26 ... the series consoles are just dead , starfield may uplift things for a while but dont think is going to be enough, and this two SKU approach they chose is going to start to put them behind, they have to remove the parity clause or they are fucked

Perhaps going directly against sony every gen is not the way to go .. time to try something different and like the 360 launch early and get some momentum going before the new playstation arrives
If Sony wants to go for the kill -- which I think it does -- they will price the PS5 Slim (basically the only PS5 edition in the market at that point) at $399. The PS5 Pro in 2024 will then be priced at $499.

Tsaki

So physical slim only? No digital?
Don't put too much stock on the Slim naming. It will be a Digital PS5 that can have a Blue-ray add on attached to it. I don't see how they can make it much slimmer without going to a 5nm node (it will probably still be 6nm). It will be somewhat different in shape since the new design will have to accommodate the new add-on. Which also puts up a question about how will the PS5 plates be compatible?

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Calling all industry insiders reading this to please leak an image of the design ASAP so I can decide whether or not to get rid of my current PS5 this month.

Thank you. 🥰

Last edited:

Pelta88

ps5 is beautiful!
Not sure if I will be upgrading to slim. ps5 is already nice looking and quiet. It's just big and I have my furniture modified to fit it

That mantle! I see Returnal, Miles Morales, Demon Souls. HFW, TLOU Part 1 etc etc etc

I see you've been eating good. In fact, you've been feasting!

//DEVIL//

If i don't mess something up, the PS4 Slim was by far the most quiet PS4. Normal PS4 was a disgrace, first Pro was a jet engine and Pro revision was a vacuum cleaner with coil whine. So i wouldn't expect a PS5 Slim to be louder than the normal one.
Not necessary the same case can apply here the ps3 super slim was a bit louder than slim.

If they are using the same nm die size in smaller form factor ( smaller fan ), then it won't be as quite as current ps5. Probably no liquid metal either .

I think the current cfi 1200 series is perfect. I have the god of war edition and man it's even quiter than my old day 1 model I had before I sold it

Banjo64

cumsessed
FFS please. Much better. Hope there is a significant redesign. Wanted to buy a PS5 for FFXVI but I can't stand the current design. I understand form follows function and its a great videogame console, but its just an eyesore to me. The shape. The size. The matt side panels surrounding the glossy black plastic ...

Disgusted Steve Carell GIF
I don’t think we’ll see a continuation of the current design language (curves, gloss plastic) however I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still white and black.

The PS3 and PS4 slim designs ditched gloss in favour of matte and ditched all elements of the previous look.

Mr.Phoenix

This is not changing much.

We already have a PS5DE or $399. This `PS5 Slim`, is in truth, still just the PS5DE but smaller, and with some sort of contraption that lets you attach a disc drive to it. This would actually be the first time that the introduction of a slim SKU, does not come with a price drop. Not only would Sony be making money on the actual console, but they will also be making a good amount off anyone that spends what I expect will be the $100 for the disc drive attachment. Though that can also come in at $70. Sony still makes something though, being that said attachment cant cost them more than $40 to make/package and ship).

I'll give you the digital sales spike though, I don't see a lot of people buying the disc attachment. And the long-term effect of that is, when the PS6 is released, being digital only with a disk attachment, will be the norm by then, almost expected.

As for Xbox sales, I sincerely think at this point that is a non-issue. PS5 is still maintaining the sale ratio to it that the PS4 had to XB1. What Sony needs to do is get the Ps5 down to $299. But with hwweVV it sells, and I fear that may never happen. We would sooner see games bundled with the slim at $399 than ever seeing the price dropped to $299.

Alphagear

In my experience in relation to console rumours, a lot of the time there is no smoke without fire. I think the previous rumours sound believable, and the sources were good. So one SKU to replace the current 2, it’s going to be digital, there will be an external disc drive add on.

The whole purpose of the detachable disk drive is to make production cheaper and easier.

There will be 2 SKUs. Simply attach the disk drive and you have the physical model and vice versa.

Doesn’t mean the disk drive will be sold separately.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

That’d be awesome!

I really hope they can make it a lot smaller/slimmer than the current model.
They can... and it will

ps5-cfi1100-1200-1000-comparison.jpg

1000 = launch model
1200 = 2nd refresh (2022) which still is on the 7nm node. But they ready started combing ICsand managed to make the cooler, shield, and board smaller.

The slim would be on a 5nm process, which means Ves heat so smaller cooling system, ess power so smaller PSU, and thus an all-around smaller Chassis.

Loxus

They can... and it will

ps5-cfi1100-1200-1000-comparison.jpg

1000 = launch model
1200 = 2nd refresh (2022) which still is on the 7nm node. But they ready started combing ICsand managed to make the cooler, shield, and board smaller.

The slim would be on a 5nm process, which means Ves heat so smaller cooling system, ess power so smaller PSU, and thus an all-around smaller Chassis.
No, 1200 is on 6nm.
PlayStation 5 Refresh Boasts New 6nm AMD Oberon Plus SoC

Many including myself, speculate the 6nm is already the PS5 Slim motherboard.
GovpW9R.jpg

Top Bottom