• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft anticipate PS5 Slim to release this year

This is not changing much.

We already have a PS5DE or $399. This `PS5 Slim`, is in truth, still just the PS5DE but smaller, and with some sort of contraption that lets you attach a disc drive to it. This would actually be the first time that the introduction of a slim SKU, does not come with a price drop. Not only would Sony be making money on the actual console, but they will also be making a good amount off anyone that spends what I expect will be the $100 for the disc drive attachment. Though that can also come in at $70. Sony still makes something though, being that said attachment cant cost them more than $40 to make/package and ship).

I'll give you the digital sales spike though, I don't see a lot of people buying the disc attachment. And the long-term effect of that is, when the PS6 is released, being digital only with a disk attachment, will be the norm by then, almost expected.

As for Xbox sales, I sincerely think at this point that is a non-issue. PS5 is still maintaining the sale ratio to it that the PS4 had to XB1. What Sony needs to do is get the Ps5 down to $299. But with hwweVV it sells, and I fear that may never happen. We would sooner see games bundled with the slim at $399 than ever seeing the price dropped to $299.
Yep. Why would they drop the price? Just be happy they don't increase the price outside USA.

//DEVIL//

This is not changing much.

We already have a PS5DE or $399. This `PS5 Slim`, is in truth, still just the PS5DE but smaller, and with some sort of contraption that lets you attach a disc drive to it. This would actually be the first time that the introduction of a slim SKU, does not come with a price drop. Not only would Sony be making money on the actual console, but they will also be making a good amount off anyone that spends what I expect will be the $100 for the disc drive attachment. Though that can also come in at $70. Sony still makes something though, being that said attachment cant cost them more than $40 to make/package and ship).

I'll give you the digital sales spike though, I don't see a lot of people buying the disc attachment. And the long-term effect of that is, when the PS6 is released, being digital only with a disk attachment, will be the norm by then, almost expected.

As for Xbox sales, I sincerely think at this point that is a non-issue. PS5 is still maintaining the sale ratio to it that the PS4 had to XB1. What Sony needs to do is get the Ps5 down to $299. But with hwweVV it sells, and I fear that may never happen. We would sooner see games bundled with the slim at $399 than ever seeing the price dropped to $299.
Watch them make this PS5 slim for 400$ and the disc drive 150$ at least to suck more money out of the consumer.

this will be a push to be more digital and less physically used market shrink.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
People saying ps5 looks ugly? the design looks great, its the white that isnt flattering, change the plate colors, black or red is the way to go.
Exactly. The only issue is Sony not releasing enough new cool plates with game designs.

Eotheod

I'm wagering maybe $750AUD. Which is still too much. Also, our "biggest" games store EB Games has suddenly dropped the digital edition from existence outside of a pre-owned bundle. That is really weird...

Edit: okay something is up, JB Hi-fi also have no digital edition. Is it just gone from Australia lol?

Edit 2: Okay, we officially have no new digital edition consoles in Australia. Something is going on, either: they realised Australia doesn't like the digital console due to locked store and high prices; or they've just removed them entirely due to stock/replacement.

Last edited:
I'm wagering maybe $750AUD. Which is still too much. Also, our "biggest" games store EB Games has suddenly dropped the digital edition from existence outside of a pre-owned bundle. That is really weird...

Edit: okay something is up, JB Hi-fi also have no digital edition. Is it just gone from Australia lol?

Edit 2: Okay, we officially have no new digital edition consoles in Australia. Something is going on, either: they realised Australia doesn't like the digital console due to locked store and high prices; or they've just removed them entirely due to stock/replacement.
Amazon is the only one selling standalone digital edition, the gamesmen, Gerry Norman, BigW, Target and others are only selling the 2 Dualsense digital edition combo.

Something is possible cooking.

But at USD400, don’t think it’ll end at 750 here.

I wonder how it'll look like. How much smaller can it go? I wonder if they'll get rid of the design or keep it.
I have high hopes. Historically PlayStation redesigns are pretty good (I know people don’t like the PS4 Slim but I don’t think it’s that bad).

That being said it’s not really possible these days but the PS2 Slim is still absolutely crazy to me how much they were able to slim it down and especially with the SCPH-9XXXX series since it actually had the power supply internally in the same foot print.

Whatever it is there is a good chance of me grabbing one if it looks nice. Though I would say the same thing about a Pro console.

Last edited:

onQ123

Yep. Why would they drop the price? Just be happy they don't increase the price outside USA.
Why would they drop the price? lol you do understand that they make more money on software & services right? because of the lake of real competition from Xbox Series consoles they could ride the $399 & $499 price out a little while after releasing a slim model but a die shrink should lower production costs enough to make a profit even at a lower price .

leo-j

Tbh with the fact the switch is still $299 and the OLED is $349, ps5 at $499 continues to be a steal….. should drop the slim at $499 with double the storage space.

Eotheod

Amazon is the only one selling standalone digital edition, the gamesmen, Gerry Norman, BigW, Target and others are only selling the 2 Dualsense digital edition combo.

Something is possible cooking.

But at USD400, don’t think it’ll end at 750 here.
Yeah the market is just buggered at the moment, so really a slim will just be slightly under the existing consoles at maybe $50 cheaper. Though, it might be potentially MORE in price because of current climate, in that being built now costs more than before.

Who knows really, I just personally don't see it selling super well in Oz when everything is fucked right now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Many people are underestimating how big this move will be. If Sony can sell this at $399 (or even $449), it will disrupt the market significantly. Xbox Series X will be $499.

A secondary advantage for Sony is that many people will opt not to buy the optional disc drive, which will increase their digital sales ratio even more.

This seemingly small move by Sony can prove catastrophic for Xbox console sales -- especially when coupled with the PS5 Pro next year.

This has to be how they think they'll sell 25 million PS5s this Fiscal Year.

Mr.Phoenix

Tbh with the fact the switch is still $299 and the OLED is $349, ps5 at $499 continues to be a steal….. should drop the slim at $499 with double the storage space.
I hope they dont listen to you. Thats Nvidia kinda thinking right there. Nvidia sees how much some fools are willing to pay for GPUs, then suddenly hikes all their MSRP margins. THey should continue doing what conses do, and sell at cost. Nintendo has always prioritized selling at profit. Besides, coming in at $399 and having that be the only available sku, will move a lot of units. Which means a faster growth of their install base. But more importantly, the majority of that growth will be people being tied to the digital store, which makes money for them.

A $499 slim, still has you going and buying an external drive for those that want one. Keepitat $399, charge $99 for the disc drive, and et people just buy an SSD expansion if they want.
This has to be how they think they'll sell 25 million PS5s this Fiscal Year.
Yup. Ony way that happens is they intend on coming in at $399.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Many people are underestimating how big this move will be. If Sony can sell this at $399 (or even $449), it will disrupt the market significantly. Xbox Series X will be $499.

A secondary advantage for Sony is that many people will opt not to buy the optional disc drive, which will increase their digital sales ratio even more.

This seemingly small move by Sony can prove catastrophic for Xbox console sales -- especially when coupled with the PS5 Pro next year.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by Law & Order

Brucey

Isn't the PS5 "slim" the rumored single-sku PS5 digital with a slot for add-on drive? So currently the digital is $399 and disc is $499. After the "Slim" the digital will be $399 and the disc will be $499?
I read that as slim with disk drive "attachment" at $399 and maybe slim without at $349 in the US.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

It already seemed fast for them to go from disc to digital console as is: change 1 shell and add/remove the disc drive.

Now its:

One sku.
Disc drive attachment.

Sony is gonna set some more sales records....Price will be key. If its $399....and they make the Pro the launch price at $499....whew.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Explains the "anticipation."

Brucey

If Sony wants to go for the kill -- which I think it does -- they will price the PS5 Slim (basically the only PS5 edition in the market at that point) at $399. The PS5 Pro in 2024 will then be priced at $499.
I'm thinking slim no disk at $350, slim with disc drive for $400 and pro in 2024 for $600. Really max out the specs make it a decent leap.

Brucey

Many retailers across EU have discounted the disc PS5 to €449.99 :messenger_fire: from €549.99 so maybe we'll hear some news about the redesigned model fairly soon? 🤔

Fz3LM2nXgAIJa_k

Edit: Someone should make a thread about the discounted disc PS5 in EU while we're at it.
Holy crap. Should be flying off European shelves assuming Sony has enough supply. The gap there was already very significant.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I read that as slim with disk drive "attachment" at $399 and maybe slim without at $349 in the US.
I'd be surprised if they give the disc setup a $100 discount and the digital only $50. Currently the digital gets the deal on the back of the $100 more expensive disc sku. I'm not sure they have any incentive to drop the price at all given the current marketplace. Do you have a link to that article?

Depending on price I may pick one up to go with the phat.

Currently waiting to see what the Q is like or whether I should just use Remote play on android.

Brucey

I'd be surprised if they give the disc setup a $100 discount and the digital only $50. Currently the digital gets the deal on the back of the $100 more expensive disc sku. I'm not sure they have any incentive to drop the price at all given the current marketplace. Do you have a link to that article?
Sorry my mistake, $350 for digital and $450 for drive combo. Basically $50 drop in price of entry to PS5 gen.

Mr.Phoenix

Sorry my mistake, $350 for digital and $450 for drive combo. Basically $50 drop in price of entry to PS5 gen.
don't see them dropping the price. absolutely no need to. Especially the time of the year its coming.
Lol @ people thinking that thing will cost less than 499 USD/EUR.
So you believe the PS5 Slim, which if rumors ar true, is basically the PS5DE, which currently costs $399... would increase in price and still not have a disc drive?

Then the difference will only be marginal.
I will be surprised if the PS5 Slim is also a 6nm chip. Could very well be a 5nm chip. The 6nm Ps5 came to market around September last year.

Last edited:

Brucey

don't see them dropping the price. absolutely no need to. Especially the time of the year its coming.

So you believe the PS5 Slim, which if rumors ar true, is basically the PS5DE, which currently costs $399... would increase in price and still not have a disc drive?

I will be surprised if the PS5 Slim is also a 6nm chip. Could very well be a 5nm chip. The 6nm Ps5 came to market around September last year.
Price of entry has been at $400 for coming on three years now. $350 will allow more to "jump on". No reason PS5 can't push up into 25 million units per year level, just a matter of being able to produce enough.

nial

Gold Member
Digital PS5 Slim will cost $300, not sure why people expect otherwise. $350 only if the disc drive add-on is like $50, so you pretty much have a disc PS5 at $400.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Exactly.

Some ppl seem to forget the PS4 Slim was actually a price cut, and the Pro kept the launch price of the PS4.

DaGwaphics

I’m expecting a disc-less PS5 Slim for $399 with optional disc drive add-on for $99. And Sony discontinuing the original PS5 Digital Edition.

That's what I would expect if PS5 does eliminate the disk based option. I don't necessarily think the rumors indicate that, however.

They could very well still sell both skus but just be moving to produce a single PS5 model that can be sold with or without, vs the unique housing and all that as it stands now.

Enjoy your low bitrate crappy streaming services then. Even with the best internet it's compressed.
Uhhh what? Who said anything about streaming?

I haven't bought a physical Playstation game for about a decade now. My entire PS4 library is 100% digital games. No need to stream games lol.

I'm saying I don't need an old dinosaur disc drive because I don't buy them anymore and haven't since I had a PS3. In fact the last physical game I bought was The Last of Us on PS3.

There is no need for discs anymore so I'll be happy if the PS5 Slim is all digital.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Uhhh what? Who said anything about streaming?

I haven't bought a physical Playstation game for about a decade now. My entire PS4 library is 100% digital games. No need to stream games lol.

I'm saying I don't need an old dinosaur disc drive because I don't buy them anymore and haven't since I had a PS3. In fact the last physical game I bought was The Last of Us on PS3.

There is no need for discs anymore so I'll be happy if the PS5 Slim is all digital.
Well no disk drive means you gimp the media abilities of it. I would never want to be stuck streaming movies but if you don't watch movies or shows I guess it doesn't matter

MadPanda

Banned
This would be great as used consoles would have to sell for a lot less than that. In that case I'd buy a used one with a disc drive. I wonder where that leaves series x. They surely can't sell it for 150 more?

Brucey

Well no disk drive means you gimp the media abilities of it. I would never want to be stuck streaming movies but if you don't watch movies or shows I guess it doesn't matter
PS5 isn't a showcase for 4k blu ray playback with lack of support for Dolby Vision, versus say the PS3 which was on the cutting edge of the evolving playback spec most of the time. Personally I prefer the Panasonic ub 820 player for 4k movies.

I buy a gaming console to play games on it, not watch movies.

And yeah I stream movies and music to my TV/phone. I'm quite happy with the quality I get from streaming services (non gaming).

The thing with physical movies and music is that I actually get why people buy blurays or vinyl/cd. You get better quality. The same can't be said with games. Whether you buy the game physically or digitally you're getting the same graphics and performance.

People like to think they own their games because they have a physical disc but you only own what's on the disc and if you don't need an internet connection to play it. Most games need day 1 patches and many more patches after that. Say you buy a game like Diablo IV...what good is having a disc going to do you if the servers get shut down? The disc will be useless. Same goes for almost every other game released in the last decade or so.

Top Bottom