• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft anticipate PS5 Slim to release this year

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh I agree entirely, my point isn't about Sony's costs, but what they think they can get away with in terms of price.
I mean, everyone went up in price now, or have not lowered prices even 6 years in (Nintendo). Even they released their $50 more model with the OLED version.

Only fire sales that happened were a year long on the S models because they were not selling as fast as they hoped and it's clearly designed as a subscription box.

I don't believe it will be cheaper, but nor do I believe it will cost more either. All reports seem to indicate a streamlined design for one build process going forward for the base model.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Gonna be tough to slim that fat bitch to anything « slim »

fat woman GIF
I get exhausted just looking at that. That’s a lot of kilos.

Sony have sold over 40 million units at $400-$500 (and more in rest of world). They need to get the price of entry down to really accelerate sales. $349/$449 pricing should allow 25+million annual sales.
Exactly, if you want to see record sales you do this, if they are really smart Sony will price at $349 DE $399 Disc, sell the hardware at cost and make the money on the software.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've seen a lot of deals lately for the PS5,maybe clearing stock for the slim?
That's my assumption as well. Various retailers are knocking $100 off the disc version all over Europe.

It's usually a sign. Possibly a bundle announcement in August for Spider-Man 2.

Loxus

It would be cool if Sony went the chiplet route similar to Mi300.
UKgBQeJ.jpg

qrSBJnc.png

I'd imagine PS5 Slim would consist of one of each.
6nm AID chiplet,
5nm 40CU XCD chiplet,
5nm 8C CCD chiplet.

PS5 Pro would use a bigger AID to include a 2nd 40CU XCD chiplet.

Doing chiplets would be not only be convenient for making a Pro model but also for yields.

Plus for the Pro, the inclusion of a 2nd XCD would allow for these two modes, which maybe good for the PSVR2 as well.
Scalable Link Interface (SLI)
Split-frame rendering (SFR)
This analyzes the rendered image in order to split the workload equally between the two GPUs. To do this, the frame is split horizontally in varying ratios depending on geometry. For example, in a scene where the top half of the frame is mostly empty sky, the dividing line will lower, balancing geometry workload between the two GPUs.

Alternate-frame rendering (AFR)
Each GPU renders entire frames in sequence. For example, in a two-way setup, one GPU renders the odd frames, the other the even frames, one after the other. Finished outputs are sent to the master for display. Ideally, this would result in the rendering time being cut by the number of GPUs available.

Mark Cerny has patents similar to how these two modes work. This is one of them, which would be good if used in the Pro.
System and method for efficient multi-gpu rendering of geometry by subdividing geometry
2N7DKcC.jpg

FIG. 2 is a diagram of a multi-GPU architecture wherein multiple GPUs collaborate to render a single image, in accordance with one embodiment of the present disclosure.

Zen4c has great die space area saving at the same performance which would be great for consoles.

epXYFef.jpg

Also, PS5 Zen2 looks like half Zen4c.
dfztZ15.jpg

Especially the FPU.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
UKgBQeJ.jpg

qrSBJnc.png

6nm AID chiplet,
5nm 40CU XCD chiplet,
5nm 8C CCD chiplet.

Doing chiplets would be not only be convenient for making a Pro model but also for yields.

Plus for the Pro, the inclusion of a 2nd XCD would allow for these two modes, which maybe good for the PSVR2 as well.
This analyzes the rendered image in order to split the workload equally between the two GPUs. To do this, the frame is split horizontally in varying ratios depending on geometry. For example, in a scene where the top half of the frame is mostly empty sky, the dividing line will lower, balancing geometry workload between the two GPUs.

Each GPU renders entire frames in sequence. For example, in a two-way setup, one GPU renders the odd frames, the other the even frames, one after the other. Finished outputs are sent to the master for display. Ideally, this would result in the rendering time being cut by the number of GPUs available.

Mark Cerny has patents similar to how these two modes work. This is one of them, which would be good if used in the Pro.
System and method for efficient multi-gpu rendering of geometry by subdividing geometry
2N7DKcC.jpg

FIG. 2 is a diagram of a multi-GPU architecture wherein multiple GPUs collaborate to render a single image, in accordance with one embodiment of the present disclosure.

Zen4c has great die space area saving at the same performance which would be great for consoles.

epXYFef.jpg

dfztZ15.jpg

Especially the FPU.
Their designs are almost early chiplet style with how they "butterfly" it for BC, etc..

Also, chiplet is really the only way forward on this x86 APU if one wants keep the power draw and die size down (cost) to get the most bang per watt.

It'll be the natural evolution in a Pro model or PS6.

StereoVsn

I am thinking $399 Slim, $99 separate disk attachment and $449 bundle. This is in US so expect to be higher in EU/AU/etc.

Then in 2024 we get a $599 pro. This would be with no disk built-in and with same disk from the Slin that can be utilized as an attachment.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You had to modify your forniture to make it fit, that should tell you something...
Because that furniture is not dedicated for console and games?
It's just generic ikea kallax shelving unit.
so unless the console is ps4 slim size, it's not fitting there obviously.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Because that furniture is not dedicated for console and games?
It's just generic ikea kallax shelving unit.
so unless the console is ps4 slim size, it's not fitting there obviously.
And XSX wouldn't even fit on those shelves, so that was an odd flex to say the least.

And both systems look retarded horizontal.

leo-j

Expecting an announcement in august or later in July, already cutting disc model by $75 in European countries despite the high demand indicates a phase out. Would love for a digital only 2 TB with disk drive option for $449 , and two project q models, one streaming for $199 and one with download for ps1-4 games at $299 .

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Expecting an announcement in august or later in July, already cutting disc model by $75 in European countries despite the high demand indicates a phase out. Would love for a digital only 2 TB with disk drive option for $449 , and two project q models, one streaming for $199 and one with download for ps1-4 games at $299 .

With these price cuts I wonder what the console sell numbers will be at for the PS5 this summer.

Brucey

I am thinking $399 Slim, $99 separate disk attachment and $449 bundle. This is in US so expect to be higher in EU/AU/etc.

Then in 2024 we get a $599 pro. This would be with no disk built-in and with same disk from the Slin that can be utilized as an attachment.
I just realized they'll be able to pack in a bit more power on the base diskless Pro with drive optional.

StereoVsn

I just realized they'll be able to pack in a bit more power on the base diskless Pro with drive optional.
Yep, gives them a bit more flexibility on pricing and simplifies the SKUs with same external disk drive.

Not sure if this would ever happen, but it does make some sense.

Edit: Was on vacation in Spain just recently and saw PS5 adverts for €449 everywhere for a disk model. No DE in site though.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
UKgBQeJ.jpg

qrSBJnc.png

6nm AID chiplet,
5nm 40CU XCD chiplet,
5nm 8C CCD chiplet.

2N7DKcC.jpg

epXYFef.jpg

dfztZ15.jpg

Especially the FPU.

I think it's likely that the Pro will use chiplets. All of AMD's solutions with performance above the PS5 (N31, N32) are using chiplets already.
If it's a late 2024 release I could see them using a N3 GCD with N6 MCDs.

It looks like it, without a reader you can have the console at a lower price:

- The PS5 Slim for €349 without a reader and €449 with a reader.

- The PS5 Pro for €499 without a reader and €599 with a reader.

Loxus

I think it's likely that the Pro will use chiplets. All of AMD's solutions with performance above the PS5 (N31, N32) are using chiplets already.
If it's a late 2024 release I could see them using a N3 GCD with N6 MCDs.
MCDs is possible, but I'm thinking of a better approach.

Overview of Active Interposers
VjlvbHD.jpg

AMD MI300 – Taming The Hype – AI Performance, Volume Ramp, Customers, Cost, IO, Networking, Software
All variants of MI300 start with the same base building block known as the AID, active interposer die. This is a chiplet called Elk Range and is ~370mm2 in size manufactured on TSMC’s N6 process technology. The chip houses 2 HBM memory controllers, 64MB of Memory Attached Last Level (MALL) Infinity Cache, 3 of the latest generation video decode engines, 36 lanes of xGMI/PCIe/CXL, as well as AMD’s network on chip (NOC).

The four AIDs communicate with one another with a bisectional bandwidth exceeding 4.3 TB/s, enabled with an Ultra Short Reach (USR) physical layer as seen on the chiplet interconnect in AMD's Navi31 gaming GPU, albeit this time with both horizontal and vertical links and with symmetrical read/write bandwidth.

So in simple terms.
Instead of MCDs, the GPU and CPU chiplets would stack on top of an active interposer die (AID), which also enables multiple GPU chiplets.

The AID would house Memory Controllers, Infinity Cache, Display Engine, Media Engine, decompression hardware (IO Complex) and possibly the SSD controller.

Since the AID is an interposer, might as well use HBM. One stack of HBM 3 12-hi stacked can offer 24GB of RAM @ 819GB/s.

And if the SSD controller is housed on the AID, the NAND Flash can be placed around the APU like GDDR if HBM is used, thus making the motherboard smaller.

This is peak console engineering if done, but Sony my just non-chiplet route.

saintjules

Interesting bit from Richard in DF's podcast this week (timestamped). They were able to make out the model number of the box that appears at the end of the SM2 trailer.

Suggesting that new Playstation models generally appear under bundle deals. If true, they think they won't be seeing a variant this year. All speculation of course.

It's just that it's very strange that if the rumors say that the slim would come out in September... the packs with Spiderman 2 for September are with the current model, maybe TSMC didn't have the capacity to manufacture the necessary ones at 4-5nm? and it was delayed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Interesting bit from Richard in DF's podcast this week (timestamped). They were able to make out the model number of the box that appears at the end of the SM2 trailer.

Suggesting that new Playstation models generally appear under bundle deals. If true, they think they won't be seeing a variant this year. All speculation of course.

I just zoomed into the pic Sony provided.

It's CH-1215A on the box. The same disc model that's been out.
k2KNaLg.jpg

Last edited:

Three

You don't really need a serial number to see that. The disc tray and USB ports are a standard size and there is nothing to suggest it's a slim with the console shown which has the exact same dimensions as before. I personally think Tom H releases leaks at suspect times and he hasn't shown to be reliable outside of leaking promotional info earlier than official announcement. I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt though until September.

Brucey

They may have a few million "old fatties" in the channel that need to be cleared out before transitioning to the slim. Or they keep cranking them out as they are then transitioning after the holiday quarter.

saintjules

You don't really need a serial number to see that. The disc tray and USB ports are a standard size and there is nothing to suggest it's a slim with the console shown which has the exact same dimensions as before.

Right. The video was suggesting this model wasn't a new variant, which I was point out. Unless I am reading your comment wrong. They're explaining that they don't think we will see this slim model this year based on the model# in the trailer. But who knows really.

Edit: words.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
They may have a few million "old fatties" in the channel that need to be cleared out before transitioning to the slim. Or they keep cranking them out as they are then transitioning after the holiday quarter.
I agree with this they need to clear the old chassis

Three

Right. The video was suggesting that it wasn't a slim model, which I was point out. Unless I am reading your comment wrong. They're explaining that they don't think we will see this slim model this year based on the model# in the trailer. But who knows really.
Was just pointing out that it was obvious from the actual pictures of the spiderman PS5 it was the same PS5 as before so looking at the model number to see if it was a new slim model was kind of pointless. Like seeing your kid again but doing a DNA test to make sure it's the same kid as before.

Top Bottom