• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft buys Havok from Intel, GAFfers tear skin off while screaming about endtimes

I always chuckle a bit when some gaffers with little to no business sense or background attempt to analyze business deals.
It's one of my favourite things to read about on this forum. Business acquisitions and the future impact. Absolutely hilarious to go through.

2.5B for minecraft was a great one. People with no clue question organisations with very very intelligent people about the viability of each purchase, like the company hasn't done any due diligence or something...

This seems like a no brainer acquisition... It's to extend direct X functionality... That's it.

Microsoft wins most when the tech used by all software and hardware manufactures is theirs. The more they can lock people to their OS and APIs, the better.

Cheech

This seems like a very big deal to me.

Eh, not really. I'm sure they will continue to license it as usual.

They probably bought it for a semi-boring reason like incorporating it into the next Xbox dev suite.

There's always the "pie in the sky" possibility that they're setting up a "Ready Player One" style universe with the Minecraft and Havok tech as pieces of the backbone, but well, let's just say this is more reasonable than them buying it expressly to give the middle finger to Sony.

DSix

Banned
Since Unity and UE4 both use physx and not havok, this isn't actually such a big deal.

Apart from the From Software games, I can't think of any Havok-enabled games that will come out in the years to come.

Apathy

these threads are also funny just to see how many people should never, ever ever be put into the position of running a multinational company.

Trup1aya

Sounds like another nice acquisition for them...

The mentioned Crackdown 3 specifically... Hopefully this will open more developers to the idea of using cloud processing for handling physics in online games.

wonder if ms starts talking about the cloud again. they do talk about cloud and crackdown in that ign article.

Of course they will... It's obviously a major focus for them in gaming, and as a company...

It's still very popular. This is why Microsoft is buying it for their development product suite.

havoklcxxd.png

Code:
Havok congratulates the following AAA projects powered by Havok technology that are among the titles nominated by the Best of E3 2015 awards:

• Star Wars Battlefront – Electronic Arts
• Dark Souls III – BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment
• Fallout 4 – Bethesda Softworks
• Halo 5: Guardians – Microsoft Studios
• Horizon: Zero Dawn – Sony Computer Entertainment
• Just Cause 3 – Square Enix
• Need for Speed – Electronic Arts
• No Man’s Sky – Hello Games
• The Division – Ubisoft
• The Last Guardian – Sony Computer Entertainment
• Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege – Ubisoft
• Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End – Sony Computer Entertainment

http://www.havok.com/havok-congratulates-all-of-the-award-nominated-developers-at-e3-2015-many-top-titles-utilizing-havok-tech-congratulations-to-fallout-4-uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-star-wars-battlefront-and/

$$$$$

Rngade85

Neo Member
This absolutely has to do with the cloud more than anything. There is a reason why they are specifically buying the biggest physics engine and it is not just to license it out to developers to use as it is now. It is to further accelerate the development of cloud based physics and other streaming services.

jaypah

wonder if ms starts talking about the cloud again. they do talk about cloud and crackdown in that ign article.

They got dragged for talking about it and not showing anything so they just stfu for a while. They started mentioning it again with the Crackdown demo. Of course then some people said it looked like last gen pbysics/destruction but you kinda know why they said that. Yes, they are crazy people.

Anyway, the more stuff they have to show off using the cloud the more they'll talk about it. I think they learned their lesson; shut up unless you have something to show because people will flip their shit.

cyress8

Banned
Hmm, wonder if this will help produce better competition between physx and havoc. Would love to see more natural looking, procedural deaths and falls within this generation.

RedStep

I don't believe MS will make some HUGE profit from it. It isn't like Intel is in a hurry for money so they probably sold Havok for a sum of money it won't be able to achieve until a long time. Also it's highly unlikely MS will stop licensing Havok for competitors. This will just mean their newly purchased product market will shrink while competitors will expand. Meanwhile Xbox won't gain much since Sony and Nin will find an alternative and continue to make exclusives.

So in your fantasy hate-boner scenario, where Microsoft doesn't stop licensing Havok (as they said and as you agreed to), why would the competition rise and other platforms start using another one?

Havok has some competent competition. Even if MS stops licensing it, and they won't (though technically they could just raise prices like mad), devs will switch to other things, maybe some delay will happen and that will be it.

Top Bottom