• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzbang

Banned
RE: The 1.3TFlops vs 1.8Tflops for PS4 comparison.

Is the 1.3 TFlops including the ESRam or not? I'm no MS fan / fanboy (no I really am not) but that actually could make a noticeable difference in some games in some ways I believe. Like "free" AA for example right or other cool effects done 'for free' by the chip?

I doubt the Xbox One will be superior to the PS4 graphically but come 3 or 4 years near the mid to late portion of the life cycle and I do wonder if the devs will have a really good knack of how to optomise for that blisteringly quick ram. This time the Xbox One is the more complex system and look what occurred last time? Eventually the PS3 games ended up looking pretty bloody good in the long haul.

This is good for everyone ultimately. We need competition in the market. The only reason this current gen we're in is so good is because the sales numbers for the 3 consoles are overall, relatively even.

fantomena

Finalizing the console seems rushed?

They have been changing their mind on stuff since the reveal. The DRM reversal, the new indie policies and now this. As far as I know Sony has not changed anything since they revealed the PS4 in february

Im not saying this is bad, it is good news, I just wondering why they change so much.

bGanci

Banned
This console feels so rushed and MS seems so unsure what they need to do.
I disagree. Why do you say rushed ?Because they are talking about upgrading the GPU? Do you know when this upgrade occurred? I'm pretty sure the specs for the GPU have never been released?

IvorB

You are a gentlemen and a scholar. Could you recommend a good head examiner? I'm getting a XboxOne?

Could you also elaborate on Microsoft's track record? Besides RROD?

Why thank you. You too, Sir! Unfortunately I cannot recommend anyone but perhaps Google can help.

By track record I meant RROD of course. A fatal design defect brought about by improper QA and rushing a product to market. And here we are with what seems like Microsoft rushing a product to market once again. This time not to beat Sony to but simply to match them. A wise man would learn from the lessons of the past and suspect that Microsoft's machine might again suffer some terrible defect. Don't you agree?

HYDE

Banned
It concerns me that gamers still care about this company, that clearly doesn't care about them.

Your support will only help them afford to constrain you next generation...I miss Sega.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
They have been changing their mind on stuff since the reveal. The DRM reversal, the new indie policies and now this. As far as I know Sony has not changed anything since they revealed the PS4 in february.

They didn't change their mind on this though, this is just where it ended up. They didn't say "let's speed up the GPU!" Based on the article it's just where the console ended up after finalizing and tweaking.

DESTROYA

I don't see it as a big deal but better than nothing I guess, hope it doesn't lead into another RROD fiasco.
Can't SONY just do the same at some point in the PS4 life cycle?

clem84

Gold Member
That "coding to the metal" part is funny. All modern consoles have OSs and writing 100% to the metal is no longer possible.

Coding to the metal would mean no OS interference at all during gameplay (achievements, XBL activity etc... none of those things would be possible), and being able to use all 8GB of the main RAM for games, which we know won't happen. Maybe they're referring to the GPU? I don't know. Probably more of the usual PR BS.

m23

They have been changing their mind on stuff since the reveal. The DRM reversal, the new indie policies and now this. As far as I know Sony has not changed anything since they revealed the PS4 in february

Im not saying this is bad, it is good news, I just wondering why they change so much.

This doesn't seem anything like "changing their mind". They are optimizing the hardware, it's not like "hey guys let's throw in an extra 53mhz into the GPU".

Pug

Why thank you. You too, Sir! Unfortunately I cannot recommend anyone but perhaps Google can help.

By track record I meant RROD of course. A fatal design defect brought about by improper QA and rushing a product to market. And here we are with what seems like Microsoft rushing a product to market once again. This time not to beat Sony to but simply to match them. A wise man would learn from the lessons of the past and suspect that Microsoft's machine might again suffer some terrible defect. Don't you agree?

So you've had an Xbox one RROD on you?

Nerokis

It's true that MS never announced the clockspeed to begin with. As far as we're concerned, this is the first announcement of such, and it's portrayed as an upclock even though it's just a 'reveal.'

It's trolling in the same sense that Sony never announced the RAM allocation to begin with.

You can't take away what was never given to us, just as the news of the upclock means little when we never knew it what it was in the first place, until the announcement today.

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

It doesn't matter what we knew. Had this upclock (so that's a word, then?) itself not been announced, it still would have taken place. It seems the Xbox One is going through an optimization pass, and that's essentially what this announcement constitutes. That's worth telling people, even if we don't have official specs to measure against.

That said, it's really funny to see anyone acting like this is being told to us in a vacuum, as if there hadn't been an endless flow of (mostly verified) leaks, as if there hasn't been an endless stream of commentary comparing the X1 and the PS4 from both analysts and developers, as if there hadn't already existed a powerful current of debate raging across the waters of NeoGAF regarding the relative power of the consoles. The X1 is now more powerful than the version we've been hearing about and debating. That's most definitely worth noting.

KoopaTheCasual

A 6.6% increase is not going to make a big difference, but the more interesting part for me is that MS is releasing a podcast to tell us about it. This is all part of the marketing and presentation and since Mattrick left it has been MUCH better. It's clear that they've identified their weak points and then thought about what information they needed to put out there to win people around. Personally I don't think they've made any big system or policy changes apart from scrapping the DRM, it's all been a question of presentation. But they're definitely managing to turn things around.

Definitely agree. It was amazing how much his vision was poisoning the Xbox brand. I think their pre-generation messaging has potentially cost MS the one sided dominance they had in NA last gen, but I'm glad to see them get back on track. Hopefully they stay this focused until next gen, so they can actually build a gaming system comparable to Sony.

Good news! 53MHz isn't much, but it isn't bad for a console. I'm honestly surprised they went so modest, isn't the cooling solution in the Xbone massive?

m23

I just don't understand how people are spinning this into a negative, this is that Major Nelson thread all over again.

HyperV

Banned
I've been impressed with the demos of Forza 5 and Ryse. So, it that was XB1 before the GPU speed increase AND the updated drivers, then damn!

antitrop

It concerns me that gamers still care about this company, that clearly doesn't care about them.

Your support will only help them afford to constrain you next generation...I miss Sega.

lol, you obviously didn't buy a Dreamcast at launch, only to watch it become obsolete one and a half years later.

It was a great system, but Sega fucked me hard. Really hard. I spent a lot of money on a dead console. I have fond memories of my time with the Dreamcast and its wonderful games, but I don't have a fond memory of the way "Sega treated me".

At least you know if you buy an Xbox One this year you will have a relative level of assuredness that you will still be able to buy new games for it in like 7 or 8 years down the road.

Durante

I've been impressed with the demos of Forza 5 and Ryse. So, it that was XB1 before the GPU speed increase AND the updated drivers, then damn!
Right, the final products will be up to 6% more impressive! Damn.

Struggle to see how this can be a bad thing.
Not great sure, but bad..?
Of course it's not a bad thing. That doesn't make posts like the one I quoted above less hilarious though.

johnny956

Good news! 53MHz isn't much, but it isn't bad for a console. I'm honestly surprised they went so modest, isn't the cooling solution in the Xbone massive?

My guess is they have temp thresholds they don't want to pass and after further testing they decided 53mhz was within the threshold.

Audioboxer

MS = joke

Great contribution?

Anyway, MS should just of ripped the One GFX card out and matched the PS4. Always found it a bit strange why they would opt to use an outright slower graphics card.

This news can only help, but seriously MS, buyers will be watching these new boxes like hawks in the first few months for heating efficiency.

Pug

lol, you obviously didn't buy a Dreamcast at launch, only to watch it become obsolete one and a half years later.

It was a great system, but Sega fucked me hard. Really hard. I spent a lot of money on a dead console. I have fond memories of my time with the Dreamcast and its wonderful games, but I don't have a fond memory of the way "Sega treated me".

The Dreamcast was like most first Girlfriends, It was a great ride but boy it was short lived.

bGanci

Banned

I will talk to google ASAP. I do agree. Is the RROD much of a track record? They fixed it and gave full refunds in a Timely manor and have not had a issue since. I just don't believe Microsoft has a track record that deserves distrust. Also didn't the OG Xbox release with out of hitch?

Drek

Yes.

Dedicated servers
Kinect (Voice/motion controls)
Smart Match
HDMI Pass-Thru
TV Guide
Dynamic achievements
SmartGlass
Windows Apps

Not to mention all the exclusive apps and content from providers like the NFL.

Starship_Troopers_Helmets_by_BioHaZaRDiNC.png

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Anyway, MS should just of ripped the One GFX card out and matched the PS4. Always found it a bit strange why they would opt to use an outright slower graphics card.
You take this whole off the shelf PC parts thing a bit too literal.

EagleEyes

Now the only thing left is an announcement at gamescom that they've future proofed the console even more by adding 12 GB of ram to the final design. 8 GB for games and 4 for the OS. Boom :p

I don't see it as a big deal but better than nothing I guess, hope it doesn't lead into another RROD fiasco.
Can't SONY just do the same at some point in the PS4 life cycle?

That's the big issue, the balance of over clocking vs heat is really tricky. Some feel it's just not worth the risk for what might not be noticeable.

I think this is awesome! I support both consoles completely, so if any of them can be tweaked to increase performance it's totally fine by me. Lol @ the MS DOESN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO comments. Of course a number of things have changed for the system since the whole PS4 fiasco. They want to do whatever they can to provide better competition. It's the smart thing to do.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why are people acting like this is a bad thing? As long as it doesn't make the yield issues worse, which it shouldn't given that it's such a small change, it's only a good thing. Not much of a difference but it's enough to cover the GPU reserve and leave 1.2Tflops to games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom