• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Xbox staff is coming into a gaf thread to help clarify things ...

I am worried. It actually makes me more skeptical of everything.

I felt the same way when the Vita "secret 3rd party amazing" game was teased on twitter by that guy at sony.

It's just not professional. And makes me think they want to have direct control of the message.

I'm the Jekyll and Hyde of Xbox.

Off-topic question (and this really is just out of curiousity, with no kind of disrespect intended): Does it bother the folks in Redmond that the unofficial moniker given to their new console is "Xbone"? I've read comments from the-biggest-of-the-big Xbox fans who act like calling it Xbone is akin to insulting their mothers. I've read others say it's no big deal.

I know for me personally, it's easier to type out "Xbone" than it is to write "Xbox One" or even "XB1" (hunting for the 1 key in the dark is a pain). And the only time I'll ever refer to something as "The One" is when I'm talking about my wife or Neo.

So are people offended or do they understand that Internet shorthand demands its users latch onto the simplest, catchiest terms, without regard for perceived intent?

szaromir

Banned
I'm not an insider, so I don't know.

Apparently you are, since you're so confident the other insiders were never correct on this topic and just fed us flat out lies.
You've not been browsing GAF for a long time have you? The general rule used to be that if the rumor you started turned out to be wrong, you're getting banned. I don't understand why the rule is no longer applied.

Pertaining to HDD, has it been confirmed to be replaceable?

I thought it was confirmed to not be replaceable. Is there a rumor to the contrary?

I'm okay with it, because I feel like no matter what he says, the number of potential people he might sway to buy an XBO would only be in the dozens at best.

You may be right. If I may bastardize a quote from Mark Twain:

"A rumor will travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes."

Krakn3Dfx

I felt the same way when the Vita "secret 3rd party amazing" game was teased on twitter by that guy at sony.

It's just not professional. And makes me think they want to have direct control of the message.

I'm okay with it, because I feel like no matter what he says, the number of potential people he might sway to buy an XBO would only be in the dozens at best. Also, /s

vpance

All quiet on the Amazon best seller charts so far. I guess this is mainly for some troubled developers to get that last little bit of juice to squeeze to 30 FPS before launch.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Sort of agree and sort of disagree. Just the nature of the industry these days it seems. Don't see Albert being in here any different than what others in the industry have done in the past when trying to promote their stuff.

I think it does, yes. Microsoft's "E" says it's generally frowned upon and that it's like typing Micro$oft. He said this during Giant Bomb LIVE! - E3 2013 - Day 3. .. I can't give a timestamp, but it's in the first segment.

See, I can totally understand the M$ thing because it's childish and going out of your way to express hatred for Microsoft. You would never see me writing it that way (unless it's mocking those who actually do that on purpose).

But Xbone, I just see as a time saver and a catchy nickname. It's not intended to disrespect (at least not for me, because I have nothing personal against Microsoft). Though I can see how some may see it (or mean it) that way.

oh wow... seriously?

ukiXVZ2.gif

I'm not getting the reference. Help?

See, I can totally understand the M$ thing because it's childish and going out of your way to express hatred for Microsoft. You would never see me writing it that way (unless it's mocking those who actually do that on purpose).

But Xbone, I just see as a time saver and a catchy nickname. It's not intended to disrespect (at least not for me, because I have nothing personal against Microsoft). Though I can see how some may see it (or mean it) that way.

I prefer typing X1 personally

I never mean it mockingly. I Think Xbone is an infinitely better name. Xbox One just sounds so super serious.

LAMBO

Ok if you read this in time, YOU NEED TO GET THE PRETZEL DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER WITH BACON

I found that thing to be horrible (got the single). A big bulky bun just hindered the meat and bacon taste. Cheese wasn't good at all. You go to wendys, you get a double, or a spicy chicken asiago, or a BLT cobb salad with spicy chicken.

Xbudz

But Xbone, I just see as a time saver and a catchy nickname. It's not intended to disrespect (at least not for me, because I have nothing against Microsoft). Though I can see how some may see it (or mean it) that way.

Speaking the word "Xbone" sounds incredibly stupid to me, so I'll never actually say that when talking to my friends about Xbox One. I don't like the name "Xbox One", but I dislike "Xbone" even more. By next year, typing X1 will be more common I'm guessing.

Speaking the word "Xbone" sounds incredibly stupid to me, so I'll never actually say that when talking to my friends about Xbox One. I don't like the name "Xbox One", but I dislike "Xbone" even more. By next year, typing X1 will be more common I'm guessing.

I never call it "Xbone" when speaking. I just call it "Xbox One," since I'm not usually trying to save time when speaking like I am when writing.

I really don't understand this announcement except for the pr it brinngs.

1. Devs have the specs and are under NDA.

2. Users don't know the original MHz.

3. Press are reporting this as part of Xbox 180 this is the winning console.

4. We had insiders confirmed by mods report the opposite.

I wouldn't call it a pr announment it was said in passing on a podcast. Gaming press just eats up every little bit of bs.

I think my first pc was 55mhz or maybe 155, all I know is that it couldn't even run doom off 2mb of ram.. This is good news I guess. Just give me a new Halo and please have an espn fantasy football app. That's all I ask for. Give me those 2 things and you have my 500$

nib95

Banned
Xbone is funny and does theoretically work as an abbreviation, but to me it's not saving enough characters to be that useful. XO for me. Don't care what other people use, that's the one I'm using lol.

Microsoft improving stuff? Lol!!! Cerny must be laughing it up in his heart shaped bed. God i love that man.

Are we allowed to have gimmick profiles like this? I mean, all you ever do is post nonsense about Cerny love, making a ham-fisted attempt to mock those who actually like the guy.

But if we're allowed to just turn our profiles into corny gimmicks, I can't wait to be reborn on GAF as a hard-drinkin' southern preacher with a passionate love for all things Fils-Aime.

When I talk about it with friends I just call it "the new xbox" because the new name sounds silly to me. When I type, I always write, "xbone" because I am so used to it from the days of DRM fiasco (and what it implied back in the day, "xboned"). I don't think I'll ever drop that. People can "unfriend" or put me on "ignore" if their feelings are hurt.

That's what I don't get: People who take the name personally. It's not important enough to get angry over.

i-Lo

I never call it "Xbone" when speaking. I just call it "Xbox One," since I'm not usually trying to save time when speaking like I am when writing.

When I talk about it with friends I just call it "the new xbox" because the new name sounds silly to me. When I type, I always write, "xbone" because I am so used to it from the days of DRM fiasco (and what it implied back in the day, "xboned"). I don't think I'll ever drop that. People can "unfriend" or put me on "ignore" if their feelings are hurt.

skyfinch

Are we allowed to have gimmick profiles like this? I mean, all you ever do is post nonsense about Cerny love, making a ham-fisted attempt to mock those who actually like the guy.

But if we're allowed to just turn our profiles into corny gimmicks, I can't wait to be reborn on GAF as a hard-drinkin' southern preacher with a passionate love for all things Fils-Aime.

That's what I don't get: People who take the name personally. It's not important enough to get angry over.

Yeah, you do that.

Ishan

Yup same here new xbox or xbox one while talking ... And xbone while typing ... Just easier and it's kind of stuck...

Off-topic and far too late, but I still think they should've gone with Xbox Next, Xbox Infinity, or NeXtBox.

I see what they were going for with Xbox One, but besides being confusing (since I always used to call the first Xbox the "Xbox one"), it just doesn't roll off the tongue.

C'est la vie.

Off-topic and far too late, but I still think they should've gone with Xbox Next, Xbox Infinity, or NeXtBox.

I see what they were going for with Xbox One, but besides being confusing (since I always used to call the first Xbox the "Xbox one"), it just doesn't roll off the tongue.

C'est la vie.

It's just a shit name. Wonder who the brain piece was who came up with it.

C'est la vie.

Those are worse.

So in the space of 3 months Microsoft went from serious plans to downclock possibly down to 600MHz to actually upclock to 853MHz? Yaright.

I never said if was getting a 200mhz DC did anyone say that? I just heard it was being down clocked. Obviously there is a lot going on behind the scenes with these consoles with last minute adjustments happening constantly - This latest thread being a perfect example of it. Im not posting specifics anymore though for instance I heard from a lot of people the 200 MHz was the speed increase with only Cboat saying otherwise. I trust Cboat more than anyone else so I figured it was best not to say anything which it was.

Hell they could have actually down clocked but we wouldn't have ever known since MS chose to hide their specs until now.....Instead they wanted to talk transistors ....

BTW, how many transistors we pushing now?

Xbudz

I can't wait for August 20th. I expect Sony and Microsoft will both have very interesting new details for us.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Same here. I'll still call it Xbone on GAF because it's a lot easier to type then trying to type out a silly abbreviation like, "X1" or "XO".

I think it does, yes. Microsoft's "E" says it's generally frowned upon and that it's like typing Micro$oft. He said this during Giant Bomb LIVE! - E3 2013 - Day 3. .. I can't give a timestamp, but it's in the first segment.

to be fair, if they wanted people to call the console by the proper name, they shouldn't have named it "xbox one" when there already was a console people called the xbox one

so the choice is either start thinking up stupid nicknames for the O.G. Xbox, or start thinking up stupid names for the Xbone. you can't really have it both ways.

"Over clock" is a bit of a silly phrase to use, considering we are talking about an unreleased console and it is the manufacturer doin the "over clocking"!

It's like saying "oh shit sucker punch added mods" when they changed the character design 6 months before the release of infamous.

MS increased the clock speed based on a lot of data accumulated from a lot of very expensive testing.

flying dutchman

Neo Member
Its good to see MS doing what they can to try and right some wrongs. I am a graphics whore and for me MS has always been pushing the boundries with its consoles tech. The xbox was really powerful and kicked the PS2 in the nuts. The 360 was for its time ultra powerful. It did so many things right from a performance point of view and pretty much ran neck and neck with the PS3 which was released a year later. This gen it seems MS looked at the Wii and said "hey we dont need cutting edge, we can save some bucks on pushing the tech and sell units on the back of tv and kinect.
So MS no longer did what I loved it for and instead Sony did it instead.
MS cant address this now and is on the back foot for this whole gen. I dont like the outlook for MS. A lesson, however costly is going to be learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom