• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft delays Xbox One launch in China

Elman

I wonder if this is related to the X1's (Windows-based) OS? Isn't the ultimate goal of Windows 9/Threshold to unify the OS across all platforms, X1 included?

If that's the case, I could see why there is a delay if Microsoft is required to rework the OS somehow. The Chinese government has not been keen on Windows 8 and its successor.

numble

I've been working in China for 7 years and Chairmanchuck is pretty much spot on with the information he's giving. Average wage for office workers in my experience is 5K a month.
All those luxury goods like the iPhone or laptop are often the only high price item average people own. The Piano market is for the rich different demographic.

There are different markets in China. I don't think the iPhone owners are the average person. The country is still roughly 50/50 rural/urban and many of those urban dwellers are in 3rd and 4th tier cities.

The iPhone is not aimed at the average Chinese. I don't think the XBox is aimed at them either. I'm not saying that they will do iPhone sales (consoles don't even do iPhone sales in the US), but to say that there isn't a market for high priced consoles isn't actually supported by the facts that are being thrown out.

We all have seen the gray market game sellers in the Zhongguancun equivalent areas throughout China. I don't think they would be persistently there if there isn't a market for consoles.

pesda

Banned
Lol, I am not reading hardly any of these posts as "concerned." Most people are more intrigued or simply interested in what could cause the system to be delayed, without a new launch date, 3 days before launch....

It's it simple localization? Is it a supply issue? A hardware issue? Shipping or logistics issue? A software issue? A government issue?

What could cause them to delay so close to launch? It's just interesting, not "concern" unless "interested" is the new "concerned."

You seem to be one of the most concerned person on the neogaf forum. It's cool to hate Microsoft. I get it. I am going to play d4 then hit up destiny. Which suprisingly is 1080p and looks exactly like the ps4 version. Go figure.

Biker19

Banned
You realize there's a huge market for luxury items in China, right? There's a whole group that changes their cars every year, like some here do with phones lol

Everyone acts like China is poor yet Apple manages to sell 10 million iPhones a quarter there.

Maybe it's the Chinese government as they have been going after American tech companies recently.

Stuff like iPhones & PC gaming are more bigger & popular over in China than home gaming consoles are.

I don't see neither Sony or Microsoft making a huge blowout there.

You seem to be one of the most concerned person on the neogaf forum. It's cool to hate Microsoft. I get it. I am going to play d4 then hit up destiny. Which suprisingly is 1080p and looks exactly like the ps4 version. Go figure.

You seems to take bad news for Microsoft personally . Who won't think this news is a interesting turn of event ? Its only 3 days to launch and they delay it?

Official announcement from Microsoft

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_6b8988220102v17q.html

LOL the comments are

"Too Expensive "

"So expensive and still region locked"
"Can it not be region locked"? If so can it at least allow 2-hand games? If not i will import"

"Castrated version , deformity version , wait for ps4 "
"wasted working over time for 1/2 a month!"

edit again

Those who DID preorder are pissed. Man MS really screwed up .

cakely

You have a very good point: minus some frame-pacing issues, the Dust Palace strike, the Exodus blue multiplayer map, some gear, some weapons and some ships the Xbox One version of Destiny is nearly as good as the Playstation 4 version.
I'm sorry I couldn't resist.

But I digress. Has there ever been a regional console launch that was cancelled three days before it was scheduled? That sounds like an absolute logistical nightmare.

Heigic

Stuff like iPhones & PC gaming are more bigger & popular over in China than home gaming consoles are.

I'd agree with that. I wasn't suggesting that a console would be as popular as an iPhone it obviously wouldn't be, but the reason is not because no one could afford it.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Why does the game looking like the PS4 version have anything to do with this thread? lol...

Or can it?

86637-nintendo-gamecube-handle.jpg

I would carry that but I never bought one :p

numble

You seems to take bad news for Microsoft personally . Who won't think this news is a interesting turn of event ? Its only 3 days to launch and they delay it?

Official announcement from Microsoft

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_6b8988220102v17q.html

LOL the comments are

"Too Expensive "

"So expensive and still region locked"
"Can it not be region locked"? If so can it at least allow 2-hand games? If not i will import"

"Castrated version , deformity version , wait for ps4 "
"wasted working over time for 1/2 a month!"

edit again

Those who DID preorder are pissed. Man MS really screwed up .

From Microsoft: pre-orders exceeded Microsoft's estimates/expectations.

Anyway, I think the comments seem to show there's interest in consoles. They focus more on the dislike of the region-locking and inability to play used games, than they focus on the price.

From Microsoft: pre-orders exceeded Microsoft's estimates/expectations.

Anyway, I think the comments seem to show there's interest in consoles. They focus more on the dislike of the region-locking and inability to play used games, than they focus on the price.

Ya , but still it does not explain the last minute delay. There is no way MS not knowing how much per-order they have until right before launch . Most likely some issues with the government 's requirements ?

numble

Ya , but still it does not explain the last minute delay. There is no way MS not knowing how much per-order they have until right before launch . Most likely some issues with the government 's requirements ?

Yeah, I don't think the preorders has anything to do with the delay. I was just picking up on that mention in the statement.

China is giving Microsoft a hard time right now so it could be that.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/06/us-microsoft-china-idUSKBN0G60GR20140806

kensama

spwolf

considering you could not purchase consoles before since they were banned, of course other things are more popular.

But that does not mean that China can not add sizable console base in the next 3-4 years.

From Wiki:

Arcade games are still a thriving industry in China, where amusement arcades are widespread across the country. Its popularity in China is comparable to that of PC gaming at internet cafes. This is partly due to the country's ban on console games since the early 2000s, it has since been lifted. As a result, Chinese gamers frequently visit the arcades to play action games, particularly fighting games, and occasionally unlicensed arcade ports of popular PC or mobile games such as Angry Birds or Plants vs. Zombies. The arcades and internet cafes operate in a similar manner in China.[2]

PS4/XB1 work well in internet cafes.

My money's on this being a marketing thing. They looked at the Japan launch, saw how that went, and decided they needed some time to build up demand before launch.

How is this interesting? Honestly? The xbox sells like garbage everywhere and yet this is interesting? I'm gonna go out out on a limb and say you don't own an xb1(nor want one), and have an iphone in your pocket. If i am wrong I am not sorry.

If you meant it's interesting that they even want to release the console in Asia, then yes it is interesting on why they are wasting their time.

Big multinational company Microsoft having invested in China at least more than any other secondary country delays the launch of their new console in the country 3 days prior to the already announced launch date and yet somehow that's not interesting?

I would like to know the why of the matter and find that entirely interesting.

Why the hell are you making outlandish claims as to what I do or do not want and whether I own an iphone of all things? How does that effect why Microsoft delayed their Chinese launch so close to the original launch date?

So much concern over the Xbox One releasing in.... China of all places.

X1 is already out, we already know everything about it, we know how people dislike it, we know that people still are holding on to grudges for some reason that happened at E3 couple years back.

But now people are concerned at this turn of events..... IN CHINA?

Lol.... come on people. It's delayed in China for whatever reason. Big whoop. We already know what the X1 does and how nobody will buy it there anyways.

China big concern news for MS. Lol. Didn't they just say they were trying to stop MS and Windows there or something for whatever reason the Chines had.

IMA start posting these on my fridge, I swear.

China is a poor country. China is also a very big country. As a result there are as many people rich enough to conceivably buy a console in China as there are in plenty of second-tier European countries.

Radec

Imru’ al-Qays;130924307 said:
China is a poor country. China is also a very big country. As a result there are as many people rich enough to conceivably buy a console in China as there are in plenty of second-tier European countries.
Poor?

lol

WTF? Most concerned on NeoGaf? I wasn't even talking to you. You get proven wrong about custom checks on items made in China, and you choose this post to call me out as concerned? I was pretty clear about why people are interested in this delay, which is far from "concern." I gave multiple examples of why there is interest.

And whatever D4 and 1080p Destiny have to do with anything in this conversation whatsoever is just silly. What a stupid comment to make. Go play your games and have fun. You will have a great career here on GAF, you seem to be making lots of friends already.

I think pesda's playing everyone here.

No, he is playing D4 and Destiny in 1080p on Xbox One, Remember? Isn't that what this thread is about? Oh wait, it has absolutely nothing to do with anything this thread is discussing, sorry, Go Figure, lol.

Vestax

Banned
I don't think this a MS initiative, not good for business to delay the launch of a product. Chinese government, maybe?

Kayant

So this is what being 5 million units behind brings out in people..
Nah it's just miDnIghtEr20C being miDnIghtEr20C.
China demoted to Tier 1.5.
ftfy

Yet you feel the need to have to mention Destiny is 1080p in a thread about a region launch. Loool

fedexpeon

Banned
Everyone acts like China is poor yet Apple manages to sell 10 million iPhones a quarter there.

Maybe it's the Chinese government as they have been going after American tech companies recently.

Gaming isn't considered a luxury good. It is more associated with addiction, and gambling.
So many stories about people abusing their kid, killing themselves, or in debt from misspending on online currency.

pesda

Banned
Nah it's just miDnIghtEr20C being miDnIghtEr20C.

ftfy

Yet you feel the need to have to mention Destiny is 1080p in a thread about a region launch. Loool

Makes me feel good knowing I bought a weak console that outputs the same graphics as a ps4. The overpriced xbox shit out the same game as a ps4. How cool is that?! Makes me feel a lot better about my purchase.

k3rn3ll

Neo Member
And I still think thats a totally bad idea. I mean the price of the console and the games is the same as in the US, while they already need a 1 month salary just to buy the console alone.

Sorry, but "no one" will buy it, if they wont change the price of the console and the games...
I thought the game prices were $15-$40 USD. At least that's what the article about the DRM disc's in China that came out a couple days ago said

Makes me feel good knowing I bought a weak console that outputs the same graphics as a ps4. The overpriced xbox shit out the same game as a ps4. How cool is that?! Makes me feel a lot better about my purchase.

WTF does this have to do with the Xbox One delay in China? You are one crazy poster dude. I can feel the ban hammer coming! Talking about being able to play D4 and play Destiny at 1080p makes you feel better about your purchase? It is definitely not cool, its pretty sad.

This conversation and thread has not had one thing to do with the performance of the Xbox One, its exclusive titles, or the resolution of Destiny! Its some gamers wondering why the console was delayed so close to launch. Great Job!!!

hirokazu

LOL, why're you so mad, bro!?

China is a wildcard right now because we don't know exactly how an official console launch is going to play out. There are people obviously hedging their bets already in this thread, but me, I'm just gonna wait and see.

We know there's a market due to the presence of the grey imports in basically every major city, despite basically everybody gaming on PCs due to lack of consoles in the country. We know it's priced out of many people's buying power yet there are so many people in China that it may be successful just selling to a small niche, at least at first. For Sales-Age GAF, it'll be very interesting to see how sales fare, and how PS4 may eventually sell in comparison...

Personally, I think consoles in general will sell, not to the average consumer, but also not exclusively to the fabulously rich either. There's a segment of the upper middle class and up who, you know, buy things to enjoy them as much as to potentially show them off. I think the mistake of saying rich people buy things as status symbols is that you assume that's the only things people with lots of disposable income ever buy. What about that large flat panel TV in their home? Does it show off their wealth? Yes, even though they can't take it with them. But they also enjoy content on it once in a while! Consoles could be seen as a trendy, new thing accompanying the TV in that respect.

Going back on the success of the iPhone though, you only need the more well-off who can easily afford it to latch on for it to reach a level of aspirational desirability that gets the rest of the middle class on board. That can take some time and depend on how well it does initially, so we'll have to see about it. Of course, iPhone had a much easier time because the middle class actually likes to flaunt themselves as much as the wealthy. That, I think, is the wildcard in play.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Seriously? Again that has nothing to do with this thread.

Biker19

Banned

I hope that you're not serious. Destiny isn't even a remarkable game graphically.

Besides, there are already some games on PS4 that beats the snot out of all Xbox One games graphically. Let's see games on Xbox One try to push out the same kind of graphics on games on PS4 such as "The Last of Us: Remastered," "inFamous: Second Son," or "DriveClub" in Native 1080p without making any compromises in graphics &/or framerates.

prwxv3

You should stop posting. You are nearing banned posts territory bro.

You should stop posting. You are nearing banned posts territory bro.

He is gonna be gone. Here is the PM he just sent me! We got a tough guy here! I was laughing so hard. It's hilarious. He is going to punch me in the mouth because, hum, I was calling him out I guess? Lol, its hilarious.

The subject of the PM made me chuckle, he must be 12 years old.

He is gonna be gone. Here is the PM he just sent me! We got a tough guy here! I was laughing so hard. It's hilarious. He is going to punch me in the mouth because, hum, I was calling him out I guess? Lol, its hilarious.

I love the fact he had to spell out the acronym of 'irl'. Just in case if you were confused on how he was going knock you out. lol

mrlion

I too find it interesting that it was delayed. I agree that the Xbox is really not for the Eastern market, to an extent anyway. Perhaps this is a sign, after reading some of the complaints, that Microsoft would finally listen to the people that actually buy their consoles.

I love the fact he had to spell out the acronym of 'irl'. Just in case if you were confused on how he was going knock you out. lol

That was funny, makes me think he is a youngster trying to explain to adults what his language means or something...

I reported him, like he wanted me to..

Omg what a fucking pussy he is. And calling you a faggot after threatening you with violence. SMH

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
What a weird call. 3 days before? It can't be supply issue, I mean come on. May be something to do with software and Kinect? but then they would be transparent. My money is on the marketing, I don't think it went well. So they going to rethink.

Whatever it is, consoles will be a tough sell in China.

Top Bottom