• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft delays Xbox One launch in China

Biker19

Banned
He is gonna be gone. Here is the PM he just sent me! We got a tough guy here! I was laughing so hard. It's hilarious. He is going to punch me in the mouth because, hum, I was calling him out I guess? Lol, its hilarious.

The subject of the PM made me chuckle, he must be 12 years old.

Wow. That guy's really a joke.

watership

I don't think this a MS initiative, not good for business to delay the launch of a product. Chinese government, maybe?

This may be the reason. MS has had to bow to all sorts of new regulations just to get permission to launch there. Could be someone in China pulled the plug on something catching MS off guard. I don't think they delayed anything of this size before. They even launched the Kin on time, which was considered dead internally at MS do to carrier relationship disasters and internal resistance to the product.

Off topic......

He is gonna be gone. Here is the PM he just sent me! We got a tough guy here! I was laughing so hard. It's hilarious. He is going to punch me in the mouth because, hum, I was calling him out I guess? Lol, its hilarious.

9i37nUw.png

The subject of the PM made me chuckle, he must be 12 years old.

I'm dying over here, how did he get on here anyway?

On topic: I wonder if those antitrust raids have anything to do with the delay, any idea what caused regulators to conduct the raids?

What a weird call. 3 days before? It can't be supply issue, I mean come on. May be something to do with software and Kinect? but then they would be transparent. My money is on the marketing, I don't think it went well. So they going to rethink.

Whatever it is, consoles will be a tough sell in China.

I think the best theory now is probably that it was from the Chinese government end of things and not Microsoft. Maybe some specific aspect of the deal to sell in China is still being finalized?

Maybe you're right about the marketing angle and whatever pre-order numbers they were getting though I guess

Xenus

I think the best theory now is probably that it was from the Chinese government end of things and not Microsoft. Maybe some specific aspect of the deal to sell in China is still being finalized?

Maybe you're right about the marketing angle and whatever pre-order numbers they were getting though I guess

Wonder how many of the preorder people are going to get pissed off and not buy it now though?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Wonder how many of the preorder people are going to get pissed off and not buy it now though?

Pissed? sure. But not buy it? if you pre-ordered it, that means you were interested enough in the console. If something gets delay, I don't think it makes someone to want it any less.

Uhhh

So how bout that xbox in china

I still think it wont sell, giving my reasons for that in this thread.

Concerning marketing. Actually there wasnt any marketing at all. I didnt see anything and I wasnt even aware that it will be released at all in a few days.
I would say they left it to die.

Not a console-country.
Price.
Almost no marketing.

These are the reasons I would say it will be left to die.

I doubt it'd have that much of a backlash. It probably depends on how much of a delay it actually is. End of the year is like 3 months at most but Christmas would be a bit of a delay

I doubt it'd have that much of a backlash. It probably depends on how much of a delay it actually is. End of the year is like 3 months at most but Christmas would be a bit of a delay

Definately far away. I feel sorry for those that preordered the console and just found out 3 days out til release.

Usobuko

Banned
I still think it wont sell, giving my reasons for that in this thread.

Concerning marketing. Actually there wasnt any marketing at all. I didnt see anything and I wasnt even aware that it will be released at all in a few days.
I would say they left it to die.

Not a console-country.
Price.
Almost no marketing.

These are the reasons I would say it will be left to die.

And for people that keep bringing up luxury products or things that seem as status symbol like Apple devices ( mainly to show off ), the xbox simply don't have the same prestige, branding wise.

Money-related? We don't know how much Microsoft is or isn't making per unit under normal circumstances and who knows what might be in their special China contract. Additional costs, that is. Maybe some issue with the provider they have a deal with on revenue splitting? Could the 100k-ish that I've seen mentioned here in the past week or so not actually bring them anything after accounting for other costs? Do they need to sit on it for awhile and hope more people pre-order it until some magic number a formula determined is reached? Is it their partner company that called it off after than ran some numbers and realized how much they're standing to lose?

That would be so, so depressing. Not even someone who was paid to be a Professional Console Warrior™ should have that level of schadenfreude in their arsenal. People pre-ordered it. Give it to them. Mocking sales on your own time if fine (lolJapan) but wishing people not have access to the thing is downright cruel. Yanking something like this mere days before scheduled release is pretty goddamn terrible. At least "Tier 2" people got a few months' notice.

MilesTeg

Banned
Wait the games have an activation code that prevents them from being resold? I knew everything was region locked but this seems ridiculous. This news came out on the 17th and I would guess this has something to do with the delay.

Wait the games have an activation code that prevents them from being resold? I knew everything was region locked but this seems ridiculous. This news came out on the 17th and I would guess this has something to do with the delay.

Wasn't that an unsubstantiated rumor? I didn't think we ever had confirmation one way or the other and it was an assumption based off the game boxes themselves I think

aaronwt

What a weird call. 3 days before? It can't be supply issue, I mean come on. May be something to do with software and Kinect? but then they would be transparent. My money is on the marketing, I don't think it went well. So they going to rethink.

Whatever it is, consoles will be a tough sell in China.
Maybe Alibaba wants to get in on it with their big influx of money from their IPO?

IMA start posting these on my fridge, I swear.

Is that fridge running Android or the new iOS?!?!!? :p

So you were in a coma back then right? Cause that's the only way I can see someone NOT understanding why people still hold a grudge over that shit...

Uhhh it's video games right? They all make great games. Just because I have a favorite in the game just like in Sports doesn't mean I don't appreciate watching all the good teams and watch a game/play own a game.

I'm still getting a PS4 even though PSN was hacked to hell. I don't care. I like their exclusives. But I guess you can still be mad at something that never happened. I'm not mad at something that really did happen.

Hope PS4 and X1 sell well in China. They could use some fun there.

Yoda

I really don't see what the fuss is; this launch won't add any more than any of the other 'tier 2' countries. China's gaming population prefers PCs for their hardware and they do not approve of the $59.99 (whatever that translates to in their currency) hyped to the moon AAA game business model. Given that they didn't cite a reason I assume this is related to some form of government regulation that got overlooked as opposed to a supply or infrastructure reason.

NolbertoS

I read this whole thread and loved the interesting first hand experiences and poor Pesda user. I don't think he deserved a ban, more like a warning from a mod. And regarding postponing a launch by 3-4 months when it officially was to launch in 3 days smells fishy and polical, but seeing how badly the Japanese launch was, also has to factor in MS not wanting bad press in China.

I read this whole thread and loved the interesting first hand experiences and poor Pesda user. I don't think he deserved a ban, more like a warning from a mod. And regarding postponing a launch by 3-4 months when it officially was to launch in 3 days smells fishy and polical, but seeing how badly the Japanese launch was, also has to factor in MS not wanting bad press in China.

His private message threatening physical violence and calling the user a faggot gets a ban. Not a warning here.

Biker19

Banned
His private message threatening physical violence and calling the user a faggot gets a ban. Not a warning here.

Not only that, but for also derailing the thread by making these ridiculous posts which had nothing to do with the thread subject:

You seem to be one of the most concerned person on the neogaf forum. It's cool to hate Microsoft. I get it. I am going to play d4 then hit up destiny. Which suprisingly is 1080p and looks exactly like the ps4 version. Go figure.

Makes me feel good knowing I bought a weak console that outputs the same graphics as a ps4. The overpriced xbox shit out the same game as a ps4. How cool is that?! Makes me feel a lot better about my purchase.

Hexa

I think people underestimate Chinese population. Microsoft probably aims at the top 1% but 1% of billions is a lot of people.

1% of 1.357 billion is 13.57 million. I really don't think they'll hit 1% though.
Also, I just noticed that Sony is probably getting pretty close to 1% in the US. o_O

Is there any country besides the US where MS' approach isn't akin to a chicken with its head cut off?

It'd be quite unfortunate if it's a result of the Chinese government, but that aside, if they really are reintroducing the DRM policy for Xbox One in that country, I don't see how it has any chance whatsoever.

I think people underestimate Chinese population. Microsoft probably aims at the top 1% but 1% of billions is a lot of people.

That's a skewed perspective to bring into any market.

India's population is 1.2 billion. The most popular and successful console there barely broke over a million LTD after close to a decade in the market. (PS2)

And that is with :
- cheaper software
- locally relevant content ( cricket games)
- no government c**kblock

Now, China on its own is a far larger gaming market than India, just looking at the vibrancy of its PC/mobile market. But that means China is a unique market that belies common assumptions when trying to enter. Without attempting to seriously make a play to convert the existing PC gamer base in China, no console company will stand a chance to even get 0.1% of the gamer niche in China, much less the population.

Gaming is also not really a socially accepted thing, in a sense of the word. It's big, but it's also largely perceived as a negative influence on children/youths, and thus the market for gaming in China leans to a younger demographic, as opposed to western markets where gamers range from young teenagers all the way to dads/moms.

It's why mobile/PC gaming/cyber cafes are huge there. It's on a platform that's 'not-just-for-games', and the cyber cafe model allows bite-sized consumption of games in a way that matches the financial constraints of the Asian youth.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't that an unsubstantiated rumor? I didn't think we ever had confirmation one way or the other and it was an assumption based off the game boxes themselves I think

I was the one who started the thread after reading about it. Someone in that thread said that Kinect Sports has a code too. Not sure if that game has DLC. And judging from the link posted by clay_ghost, the comments there are still complaining about region lock and anti second hand practices. So I'm not sure if those people are complaining about the same rumour or that they know that the DRM has been confirmed.

spwolf

Gaming is also not really a socially accepted thing, in a sense of the word. It's big, but it's also largely perceived as a negative influence on children/youths, and thus the market for gaming in China leans to a younger demographic, as opposed to western markets where gamers range from young teenagers all the way to dads/moms.

It's why mobile/PC gaming/cyber cafes are huge there. It's on a platform that's 'not-just-for-games', and the cyber cafe model allows bite-sized consumption of games in a way that matches the financial constraints of the Asian youth.

when they youths grow up, they will game in their home, just like in the west.

Except for legislation that banned consoles, there isnt much different between China and some other lesser economies.

With all the numbers they have, Chinese is #1 PC gaming market in the world, with $6 billion in sales per year. So obviously they are spending a lot of money on games.

And they will be able to do it in cyber cafe's, where you will likely have PS4's and XB1's (whatever is more popular) and can play per hr, just like you can play your PC games.

catmario

Thankfully, There is no dalay on Other regions. :)

So I'm waiting for buy this at Time square. 28 hours left! It's really long time.

This is a rather odd situation. What would they gain from a delay so close to launch? The fact that a new release date wasn't given suggests to me that it is due to ongoing issues with... something. Perhaps the Chinese government had some last minute demands? At any rate, those who pre-ordered were definitely burned by this move.

Retailers would have launch day stock, wouldn't they? If so, what are they supposed to do with it? Hold on to it until it's ready to be sold?

Biker19

Banned
That's a skewed perspective to bring into any market.

India's population is 1.2 billion. The most popular and successful console there barely broke over a million LTD after close to a decade in the market. (PS2)

And that is with :
- cheaper software
- locally relevant content ( cricket games)
- no government c**kblock

Now, China on its own is a far larger gaming market than India, just looking at the vibrancy of its PC/mobile market. But that means China is a unique market that belies common assumptions when trying to enter. Without attempting to seriously make a play to convert the existing PC gamer base in China, no console company will stand a chance to even get 0.1% of the gamer niche in China, much less the population.

This. If the PS2, the most popular & successful console of the 6th gen, could only get about a million PS2's sold over in India, then what chance does either PS4 or Xbox One have in China which is pretty much PC land?

If anything, they'll make mock-up consoles of the PS4 & Xbox One just for pirating stuff, just like they've done before with past consoles.

This whole delay been sort of an emotional roller coaster for buyers in China.

Despite of the "till year end" delay, retailers with stock are still selling/shipping out the consoles as of the 21-23rd anyway. Retailers who refuse to ship early or don't have stock are forced to deal with consumer complaints, compensate with gift cards or deal with demands of double the deposit refunds due to contract law breaches.

The Shanghai Launch Party for the 22nd, which should have been canceled with the delay announcement, was also somewhat of a PR disaster. As event organizers did not announce a cancellation of the event (not a delay), on twitter/weibo, till mere hours before hand due to weather concerns. Screwing fans who planned or actually traveled from far away locations to attend the event.

Then today, after possibly thousands of people have canceled their pre-order, the PR team is saying that they're all good to go for the release they'll have good news "soon."

Sony should take advantage of the delay and stealth release the PS4.

Unless the government has some beef with Sony.

The common belief is that Sony doesn't want to make a move until they see how MS turned out. Especially since their "partnership" is going to be handled by the same SMG group that is handling the MS release.

It's not exactly a bad move given how messed up the xbox one launch is right now.

(for the console warriors: most people who are unhappy about the China Xbox One launch seem to be shifting their money to the successfully launched HK/TW versions. Haven't seen much stories of people moving to imported PS4s.)

wouldn't be surprised if the government ordered xbox to remove the Windows OS or some nonsense like that.

They just recently ordered all government systems to stop using Win8

Top Bottom