• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Killer Instinct to continue; will announce "new development partner" soon

brettreyu

DH is likely contracted to finish the game and all of the base characters. That work is probably already done and sitting in the can waiting to get released anyway. MS has unlikely put themselves in a situation where they were going to be charging people for a full game but only had some of the content done.

Also there is a slim chance that anyone has jumped ship from DH given the purchase was mostly for the people and these sorts of buys don't go through if the people don't come with the deal.

All the base characters being season 2 or just Fulgore from season 1 left?

golem

Usually when 3rd party devs make games, these things aren't allowed and are written into the contract to prevent bidding wars on individuals.

Non-compete clauses are pretty much unenforceable in California

And its unfathomable to think that a publisher would pay for a game to be made and not have access to the codebase.

Would be hilarious if Amazon bought this new partner as well.

MS, you need to start investing more on internal studios. Your current strategy makes it look like you can fold up the Xbox division at a moment's notice.

daman824

Buying DH would have been a long term mistake. They are a small dev team who finally released a good game. I think they definitely have talent, but unless ms really built them up like 343 and black tusk, they would likely be a xbla dev. And if ms is going to buy a small dev team, it should be the behemoth, not dh.

Dh would have needed a few more great games before it would be a good idea to buy them. And I'd bet quite a few of the ki guys at dh like rich will probably jump ship to keep working on ki. Thats the whole reason he joined dh in the first place right?

Sydle

Would be hilarious if Amazon bought this new partner as well.

MS, you need to start investing more on internal studios. Your current strategy makes it look like you can fold up the Xbox division at a moment's notice.

They can start by buying Remedy, Playground Games, and Ruffian. Would be a shame to lose that talent to a competitor and Amazon is hungry.

If it's not Rare again I'll laugh.

I don't know why anyone wants this when everyone at Rare that worked on KI is gone. I don't think they've staffed up at all with FG expertise -- most of their hires have been in racing (ex-Code Masters) and they've preferred some FPS experience in job postings.

Personally, I'd much rather see Rare focus on Kinect Sports Rivals (KS 1 and 2 were a lot of fun), Banjo, Viva Pinata, and Perfect Dark (MS needs a great spy/espionage series like Mission Impossible).

Raitaro

Too bad Iron Galaxy is busy with that Windjammers reboot, they could definitely have found work here.

Not to derail, but is my sarcasm meter malfunctioning or did I really miss this (what to me would be) very important news?

On-topic: I can only hope this latest unsuspected development doesn't run this great game into the ground before it had a real chance to become fully featured and a true competitor in the fighting game arena. I can't see how the game will continue to be expanded with a second season etc. without DH's involvement, at least not in any consistent manner if DH played such a vital role when it comes to art direction and such. Then again, let's try to remain cautiously optimistic until we learn more...and hope that at least some of the original crew will remain onboard...(which is tough, I know...)...

This is the worst possible scenario for everyone. Rare isn't the Rare that people identify with the great games from the SNES / N64 era. It's best that their IPs be handled by other development studios. This way we get the Rare games we remember but developed by teams capable of making good product.

This is such a stupid argument. Many people frowned at the idea of Double Helix working on the Killer Instinct game and it turned out pretty well, and Double Helix had NO fighting game experience (as much as I love Sacrifice, Shiny and Collective don't have sterling reputations, and merging into double helix hasn't necessarily helped). Rare hasn't worked on a "real" game since Nuts and Bolts, but it doesn't mean they are inept at returning to the franchises that gave them a reputation. Not to mention, Kameo, Viva Pinata and Nuts and Bolts are considered solid titles, and these are all games made well after Rare fell from grace.

They are a game studio. They just need to be given the right opportunity. MS are the ones holding them to focusing on Kinect. I would love to see them given the opportunity to try there hands at another real game so they can actually shut all the naysayers up.

I don't appreciate all the hate on PSAS. That game was pretty solid. I found some of the balance changes questionable, though.

Speaking of which, I think Superbot is the last free agent in terms of American fighting game talent. And even they are tied up working on their new IP right now.

As far as DH's involvement with KI moving forward, I'm pretty sure it's done. Amazon is probably footing the bill for breaking DH's contract for KI.

This is such a stupid argument. Many people frowned at the idea of Double Helix working on the Killer Instinct game and it turned out pretty well, and Double Helix had NO fighting game experience (as much as I love Sacrifice, Shiny and Collective don't have sterling reputations, and merging into double helix hasn't necessarily helped). Rare hasn't worked on a "real" game since Nuts and Bolts, but it doesn't mean they are inept at returning to the franchises that gave them a reputation. Not to mention, Kameo, Viva Pinata and Nuts and Bolts are considered solid titles, and these are all games made well after Rare fell from grace.

They are a game studio. They just need to be given the right opportunity. MS are the ones holding them to focusing on Kinect. I would love to see them given the opportunity to try there hands at another real game so they can actually shut all the naysayers up.

I'm not sure, but I believe James Goddard, designer of Weaponlord, is working for Double Helix. Buktooth (top SF4 player) is a senior employee at Microsoft, so they still have him. Ken Lobb is also with Microsoft.

Sydle

How has Xbone KI sold so far?

Couple GAFFERs said that MS expressed they were very happy with it.

I don't appreciate all the hate on PSAS. That game was pretty solid. I found some of the balance changes questionable, though.

Speaking of which, I think Superbot is the last free agent in terms of American fighting game talent. And even they are tied up working on their new IP right now.

As far as DH's involvement with KI moving forward, I'm pretty sure it's done. Amazon is probably footing the bill for breaking DH's contract for KI.

I'm not sure, but I believe James Goddard, designer of Weaponlord, is working for Double Helix. Buktooth (top SF4 player) is a senior employee at Microsoft, so they still have him. Ken Lobb is also with Microsoft.

Goddard is at MS as a senior game designer in combat design.

Couple GAFFERs said that MS expressed they were very happy with it.

Goddard is at MS as a senior game designer in combat design.

Oh.

If that's the case, then KI will be fine. I looked up Goddard's LinkedIn profile and saw he hasn't updated it since working at Vigil.

Sydle

Oh.

If that's the case, then KI will be fine. I looked up Goddard's LinkedIn profile and saw he hasn't updated it since working at Vigil.

His personal website seems to be more up to date. He worked on KI and Ryse, and has been referenced in interviews as Microsoft's senior/combat designer.

Whatever the case, he's not at DH.

derFeef

1Eu6Kx9.png

Good luck Mike, you done a wonderful Job :/

Biker19

Banned
OK, so once DH finishes up S1, Microsoft passes Season 2 along to...

Their Dead Rising 3 development buddies over at Capcom Vancouver, which all culminates in...

KILLER INSTINCT VS. STREET FIGHTER!!! Only on Xbox One, coming 2016!!

Mortal Kombat Vs. Killer Instinct fits a lot more better than KI Vs. SF, with blood, gore, fatalities, etc.

Rare doesn't know how to make video games anymore

fixed

If it's not Rare again I'll laugh.

Rare would have to work 10x as hard as they currently do to reach "medicore" levels

If it IS rare then you can say goodbye to anyone giving a shit about KI

DH did a damn good job and they shouldn't ruin that by putting fucking Rare on the franchise

I was told the same on PSA, although in the end, who cares. That game was pretty mediocre.

I'm one of those who think(rightfully) that KI was a garbage franchise and should have never been rebooted because of how fucking terrible it was.

DH made me a believer

Microsoft will probably announce 4J Studios as the studio that will helm Killer Instinct now. They're usually their go-to studio for things like that (Perfect Dark XBLA, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie XBLA, Minecraft).

gatti-man

I'm just thankful pre got what we got from DH. KI pretty much surpassed all expectations and even if season 2 sucks I can enjoy season one for years to come thanks to excellent work by DH.

Microsoft will probably announce 4J Studios as the studio that will helm Killer Instinct now. They're usually their go-to studio for things like that (Perfect Dark XBLA, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie XBLA, Minecraft).

Uh except they actually have to make content, not just port it.

Blackage

Gameplay wise ki and sf are way more compatible.

f that.

Marvel vs Capcom vs Killer Instinct, the combos! The combo breakers, the cast, the insanity!

Especially since KI ditched fatalities, hell you could ditch the blood and nothing would be lost. The issue with SF vs MK has always been Capcom not wanting it's cast to be brutally murdered for entertainment purposes.

SegaShack

Damn it! My favorite game of next gen, first the broken jail system and now this? DH did an amazing job with this game against all odds. It's a shame to see them leaving KI.

It wasn't a critical success? My only exposure was through the Bombcast where noted KI hater Jeff Gerstmann was very into it.
It was well received. The only complaints came from the lack of content at launch. Jeff liking it (even saying it was his favourite launch exclusive) is pretty huge, in my opinion.

Top Bottom