• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft ready to talk to devs who want crossplay

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

I don't get the defensive rhetoric that's repeated in threads on this subject.

I've gone XB1 this gen and would love to play games with people on PS4s - even better if I can party up with them in the future.

But I had a 360 last gen and would still have loved to play with PS3 owners.

Sales numbers change, corporate directives change, but my opinion on crossplay, as a consumer, will always be the same.

leeh

Crossplay is great for gamers.

Crossplay would help MS address a current negative of their ecosystem.

Crossplay would reduce a current positive for Sony's ecosystem.

So it's natural that MS would push for crossplay and for Sony to resist the idea.

This leads to MS pretty much falling into the position of "good guy" in this argument, and clearly enjoying the positive press and gamer reaction that is bringing them. But, oh well, that's just how it works out. No consumer should defend Sony in this area.
In all respect, what positive? There's no true inter-social interaction which mitigates the entire reasoning for people jumping ship as they can't socially interact with one and other.

This is just to improve matchmaking and the gaming community in general. Its a win win for everybody.

Jumeira

Banned
I don't get the defensive rhetoric that's repeated in threads on this subject.

Yep. Why wouldnt i be able to play the same game with players on other platforms? Imagine PC manufacturers segmenting bases based on company, it would be mayhem. This isolation of gamers is backwards and has no place in the future of gaming, there isn't a convincing argument you can make against cross play.

Panaphonics

Banned
Yep. Why wouldnt i be able to play the same game with players on other platforms? Imagine PC manufacturers segmenting bases based on company, it would be mayhem. This isolation of gamers is backwards and has no place in the future of gaming, there isn't a convincing argument you can make against cross play.

Because glorious Leader Sony says Crossplay is bad. So it has to be bad and its Not allowed to exist. Same goes for evil EA ACCESS

dezzy8

Sony has been doing this for years. MS is kinda late to the party. Think they'll let FFXIV release on Xbox now?

Matt

In all respect, what positive? There's no true inter-social interaction which mitigates the entire reasoning for people jumping ship as they can't socially interact with one and other.

This is just to improve matchmaking and the gaming community in general. Its a win win for everybody.
A larger pool of players means you are more likely to find other (random) people to play against, faster.

That's the logic anyway.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

"Sorry, Intel processors can only play with Intel processors".

Widge

Anyway, this entire stream of argument can have a line drawn under it.

First place platform holder will not work with second place platform holder. Second place platform holder will do all they can to broaden audience through crossplay.

I saw it loads in the previous gen:

https://www.engadget.com/2012/05/31/defiance-could-link-up-an-xbox-360-with-a-ps3-but-cant/

http://www.mtv.com/news/2467515/xbox-live-cross-platform-problems/

The plain fact is that the ecosystem of the generation leader is healthy enough to survive without handing a leg up to any competing platforms. So it won't happen. Microsoft have had their entire gen's platform strategy shat upon from day one and are having to make concessions absolutely everywhere.

Goalus

The fact that PSN is a safe space right now where children can freely roam and enjoy themselves without fear and worry. As soon as the portal to the XBL realm has been opened, evil ones shall come to steal the children away.

leeh

A larger pool of players means you are more likely to find other (random) people to play against, faster.

That's the logic anyway.
But how is that a negative for Sony? Their players will benefit from the same increases.

If we had some initiative where every social platform could talk to each other natively, then I'd understand Sony's stance, but without that and it being the first step, I just don't get it.

Kayant

But how is that a negative for Sony? Their players will benefit from the same increases.

If we had some initiative where every social platform could talk to each other natively, then I'd understand Sony's stance, but without that and it being the first step, I just don't get it.
From the viewpoint of a business it's a negative giving up a playerbase advantage against your primary competitors.
From the viewpoint of the consumer or business trying to give their customers(Dev or otherwise) continued value it's a net positive.

Hybris

Let's go capcom, MH World needs crossplay with as many platforms as possible. A series changing from single platform to 3 separate platforms is going to cause a ton of fragmentation. Would be nice if it could be minimized as much as possible.

Top Bottom