• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft renews Scalebound trademark

The God

I wonder if Scalebound just had too much going on. Open word character action RPG with dragons and 4 player co-op. Maybe it should've been trimmed and more focused.

jmartoine

The reactions of people always confused me in regards to Scalebound.

People were hyped that it was a Platinum game, made by Kamiya, liked the basic concept and style of the game.

Yet it was also endlessly criticised for how bad the gameplay looked and the design of the protagonist.

I'm not sure I can remember a game so divisive, it was highly anticipated yet criticised a great deal and people mourned it cancellation despite how negative reactions were to any gameplay shown off.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Hopefully just title squatting so Scalebound is 'theirs' for another little while (for no reason) and not the inconceivable faux pas of handing off a Platinum action game to another dev and saying "I'm sure you can do better!"

I wonder if Scalebound just had too much going on. Open word character action RPG with dragons and 4 player co-op. Maybe it should've been trimmed and more focused.

No doubt what Kamiya and co wanted but XBOX LIVE GOLD and SERVICE GAMES.

Dehnus

Scalebound without Platinum and Kamiya? Zero interest.

Riiight, like all of you had any interest before? Seriously each time I said "OMG that looks cool!" Gaf be like :"PFFt the main character is a douche! those headphones HAH! The game doesn't look like fun, omg I hatez it!"

Then, much to my disappointment as I really looked forward to it, it gets cancelled,and suddenly GAF is a HUGE FAN!

It is like the Dreamcast, nobody owned it but idiots like me, and now everybody has fond memories of it. :).

So did you really love it before? Or are you just using it as a stick to beat a dead horse with?

JaggedSac

In ignoring that bs gaf was critical but hell like I said highest rated Xbox exclusive on the voting thread so if ppl on here weren't hyped for that speaks volumes for the other titles

Highest rated xbox exclusive at rank 40 or something right? Kind of indicative of MS' exclusive problem, lol.

singhr1

Holyshit, MS going to create their own E3 trinity moment with new Phantom dust, Scalebound and Fable legends!

If they want to lose a ton of money, go for it. Fable Legends wasn't very fun in the beta and Scalebound didn't look too fun either.

Dehnus

Maybe they just cancelled the short term release, and allowed Platinum to "take their time, so we can show it when you're ready.. and like launch it in a few months after we show it?"

I mean... a man like me has to have hope! :p

I liked the douchy headphones guy! Douchy headphones guy for president! :p.

Correct me if I'm wrong though but don't a lot of trademarks get renewed? Like many of Rare's IPs? And not really much is heard from it after that. But it does seem MS isn't done with this IP, why else renew it. Could be a long ass time before we hear or see anything though.

jeffram

Didn't Microsoft impose co-op and GaaS focus in the first place? I thought that was why platinum was having difficulty with MS. If true, there's no way this game gets made without heavy co-op focus and some sort of ongoing monetization.

David___

Banned
That's not really true.

For 2015, each of the "holy trinity" was technically a re-announcement, even if not all were Sony directly.

Shenmue 3 was something that was already supposed to have happened.Wasnt announced beforehand
The Last Guardian was something that was already supposed to have happened.Was announced beforehand but thought to be canceled, even though iit was nsisted it wasnt
Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a little different, as it was more the original showing made people think it was something that was happening... but you get the pointWasnt announced beforehand at all
Only one of them were reannounced.

To be fair, each time Scalebound was shown to the public it looked worse and worse. Maybe another team could take a shot at it and actually get it out the door this time.

Weird.
I'm sure this is just a legal thing but I'd like to see that game resurface somehow. I'm one of the few people who thought it looked promising. But I'm not holding my breath.

Not Drake

I would love to get Scalebound if it turns out good regardless of who's in charge of it. I won't trust insiders with a scorpio next to his twitter alias though lol.

Surely this is just a protective measure so nobody uses the name. I cannot realistically imagine the project being revived - at least not so soon following it's highly publicized cancellation.

Didn't Microsoft impose co-op and GaaS focus in the first place? I thought that was why platinum was having difficulty with MS. If true, there's no way this game gets made without heavy co-op focus and some sort of ongoing monetization.

No idea, where did you read all of the above? It wasn't Papacheeks, was it?

pswii60

To be fair, each time Scalebound was shown to the public it looked worse and worse. Maybe another team could take a shot at it and actually get it out the door this time.

But the only thing people really liked about the game was who it was being developed by. I didn't think it looked too great but I was still excited regardless due to the team involved.

Take that away and there's little interest left.

le.phat

No way this is real. I refuse to believe that Microsoft would continue Kamyia's dream game with another team. That bridge would be forever burned.

Also, who gives a FUCK about this game without platinum ?

No way this is real. I refuse to believe that Microsoft would continue Kamyia's dream game with another team. That bridge would be forever burned.

Me. I don't give a fuck who makes a game as long as its good.

wenaldy

7e3.jpg

Okay, Mulder.

Kayant

Probably keeping alive to maybe use it later either way I don't see any an announcement anytime soon.
There is also this https://twitter.com/XRays_Insider/status/865109797091377152, but I can't vouch for his credibility.
This person is misterxmedia levels of speculation. Just look at their profile for a bit.

Edit - Beaten

It's a guy from the MisterXMedia website, so... Obviously legit.

He doesn't know shit and makes things up all the time.
I knew I had seen this name somewhere before lol.

jaypah

Not really the same thing since the original Prey actually came out.

You dont remember all the hoopla behind Prey 2? People praising the vertical slice they played at E3 before the game getting cancelled? Prey being announced and it being nothing like the Prey 2 that got cancelled?

I guess the main difference is Prey 2 actually had people excited whereas Scalebound wasn't looked at too fondly until it got scrapped.

peppers

Guys, I wouldn't trust that twitter account like at all. Somebody was correct at relating it with Misterxmedia.
--
I would love The Coalition to take on this project, obviously with input from Platinum and Kamiya himself.

Yeah, on top of being supremely dickish it's also just a fucking boneheaded move- the IP only ever really had value because Platinum's name was attached to it. If anything the IP would have negative value if it was handled by any other studio, because on top of said studio not being Platinum no matter how good the game they shipped was it would be haunted by the ghost of the Scalebound Platinum could have made if MS didn't feature creep it to death.

Because it's true? Firstly seeing Kamiya's dream game being potentially (we obviously don't know) handed off to someone else leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Secondly are their any MS first parties even capable of putting out a game as good as Kamiya? A lot of the past evidence and history of MS doesn't really support them making an average game let alone a Kamiya level game. Wishful thinking is fine but it's just that.

If it could magically be amazing with no evidence then why can't I act like the opposite might be true? Especially when the studio and lead who made me care enough to drop 350 bones on a console (that I sold after it was canned) potentially have no involvement at all? Sounds like a perfectly valid way to feel if I'm being honest.

We don't know if the IP, if it's even coming back, is being handled by a first party studio. The tweet only mentions a studio that is close to Microsoft. That narrows down the list, but it doesn't seem to suggest Microsoft owns the studio from what I can tell.

Who said the game will amazing? You can act however you'd like in response to this rumour, but I don't understand your reasoning for assuming the game, again, if it's even coming, will be bad because it's not by Platinum or in Kamiya's vision. The only point I'm making is that we simply don't know enough to even assume anything, and being pessimistic as the default gets old quick, but if that's how you want to see it, I've said my piece.

Chill out people, companies are always renewing trademarks "just in case."

I mean look at Nintendo renewing eternal darkness over and over. We all know it's not happening lol.

Papacheeks

Banned
If this is true then that's pretty shitty that they canceled Kamiya's dream project and handed it to someone else.

Gameplay wise no. The combat though rough looked good, visually the game looked really good.
Platinum doesn't make crap gameplay when they have full control of their project.

Unless this was given to Ninja Theory I don't care, and I don't think many will unless when it's re-revealed it melts minds.

jeffram

No idea, where did you read all of the above? It wasn't Papacheeks, was it?
I know that Kamyia had been negatively vocal about MS in the past year or so. The scope of the game was changed from year to year. There may have been some comments from him (like there was from the phantom dust team) as well. That was my takeaway from the detective gag thread from January putting tweets and observations together.

And then rebooted as Gears of War: Scalebound.
Fight huge dragons and other monsters with chainsaw-guns.

Fuck, now I actually really want this to happen. Of course I'd rather have them finish the game in what it was intended to do but as a second choice this sounds dope actually. :)

Watch clickbait YouTube channels like The Know make this into "Scalebound trademark renewed, new developer close to MS continuing it. IT'S ALIVE!" Sigh.

Kikorin

Would be crazy to revive this project without Kamiya involved, the game didn't even looked that good in all the demonstrations and was interesting only for Kamiya and Platinum.

This would be quite a huge mistake if it turns out real.

Scale bound always looked like shit and everybody made a point to point that out yet it getting canceled was suddenly the worst thing ever. Apparently after it canceled everyone decided they wanted the sequel to Lair with the protagonist from Jet Set Radio.

I feel sort of sorry for MS feeling they have to do this. In the end, everyone is angry that MS output has been only mediocre to bad this generation not that a couple of bad looking games got canceled.

Top Bottom