• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Three Halo's came out (four if you include CE Anniversary) and an entire studio was built in the five year gap between 3 and 4 though.

I think it's crazy to predict Halo 6 will be a 2019 game, let alone a 2020 game. As far as I'm concerned, it's a lock for late 2018 and Gears 5 is a lock for late 2019. Neither game will be hurt by being announced the same year they launch because everyone's already familiar enough with both series.

Whether they reignite popularity in either franchise is up to what they do with those games, not how long it takes to develop. If they play things safe then I don't think an extra year of development is going to dramatically change anything, what they need to do is take risks.

I know about the other Halo games that were released in between 3 and 4 but 4 was the first main game in the franchise by 343 with Halo 5 being their second yet the franchise has declined in sales and popularity. I just don't see the need to rush it out in three years plus if they do end up taking risks which is what they should probably do, I definitely think that they should give themselves an extra year. Have to wait and see but my prediction still remains the same - October 2019.

2 massive Halos? Halo Wars 2 is a completely different kind of game and didn't perform particularly well in terms of sales or reviews.

There has been 1 mainline Halo game released this gen. Its single player campaign was a massive letdown. That's why Halo fans are anxious for another entry ASAP (and for some more excellent multiplayer).

Also, that list of games for first party is lacking. Not very impressive at all IMO. Which is part of the problem.

The single player campaign being a massive letdown basically tells me that they need the extra year in order to increase the chances that Halo 6 is NOT a massive letdown.

I agree in regards to the list of games for first party but however, Microsoft only has one third the amount of owned studios that Sony has which definitely has something to do with the lack of first party games.

I think H6 will be out in 2018. Microsoft doesn't need to say anything about it if they don't want. Announce it at next year's E3 out of the blue and say it's releasing in November. Smart of MS to let Halo talk die down, since so many anti-halo fans are so hostile to new Halo games - for whatever reason. And perhaps 343 doesn't want to do a beta this time around given so many people prefer the aiming in the H5 beta over what actually ended up in H5. Regardless, MS needs a major release next Fall and H6 would fit that bill perfectly.

Halo mcc and halo 5. They shouldn't rush halo they should nail the single player and multi down. Not rush the shit out because a random october deadline . If it makes it? Why not release it. If not it'll be fine in spring.

So horizon 4 ,sod2, crackdown 3 and sea of thieves is a lackluster year?

Halo MCC does not count as a new Halo release. It's literally old Halo games remastered.

Yeah, Forza Horizon 4 is the only game on that list I find impressive. And there have been so many Forza games at this point (though I'm still excited for it).

Crackdown 3 looks like shit. State of Decay 2 looks like the definition of 'decent but not great', and I admit that Sea of Thieves is a type of game that just doesn't appeal to me. It looks boring and aimless. Online 'make your own fun' kind of game is not my idea of a good time. But I understand it does appeal to others. I give it props for being unique.

I think H6 will be out in 2018. Microsoft doesn't need to say anything about it if they don't want. Announce it at next year's E3 out of the blue and say it's releasing in November. Smart of MS to let Halo talk die down, since so many anti-halo fans are so hostile to new Halo games - for whatever reason. And perhaps 343 doesn't want to do a beta this time around given so many people prefer the aiming in the H5 beta over what actually ended up in H5. Regardless, MS needs a major release next Fall and H6 would fit that bill perfectly.
This is the main reason why I think it will come next year. They aren't going to go two holidays without a major exclusive.

Welfare

MS will have Anthem if they need bundles and that will be the big game at the end of next year.

Halo 6 will need time to breath and early 2019 seems like a good time for that to happen. Plus it gives gamers on Xbox something exclusive to play at the beginning of the year, something MS has had trouble with due to them usually dumping their big hitters at the crowded end of the year.
Mainline Halo will never not be a holiday title. The only 2 games not released in Q3 or Q4 were both Halo Wars.

Halo still sells millions in its launch period so it doesn't need any "time to breathe". It will be the biggest thing Microsoft will market in holiday 2018. Get smaller games in Q1 and Q2, not your biggest release.

I mean halo doesnt need an e3 it can stand on its own. Marketing and beta talk usually begins in March/April before release. Maybe a superbowl ad reveal?

Halo isn't the goliath it used to be. A superbowl reveal would be too risky, but then again "Halo 5 Guardians" was officially announced in a blog post from what I remember; before E3.

It needs a live showing to win fans back and E3 is usually the place.

labaronx

Halo isn't the goliath it used to be. A superbowl reveal would be too risky, but then again "Halo 5 Guardians" was officially announced in a blog post from what I remember; before E3.

It needs a live showing to win fans back and E3 is usually the place.

Maybe phil finally follows thru and have an psx like event for the xbox. Ill agree i was a little shocked we didnt recieve a halo 6 teaser this e3 but im wary of a 2019 release date

Beyond Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Forza 7, and the usual suspects (Halo 6, Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4), do we know what else Microsoft is working on or have they even talked about it?

Do mods verify people anymore when they say stuff like this?

i'm just posting what I've heard from speaking to people at microsoft

i'm not looking to reveal my identity or become an insider or whatever. It's up to you if you want to believe me. I could certainly have heard wrong or perhaps something has changed. i just post on neogaf sometimes to participate in interesting discussion or post something i know.

the only way I can 'verify' myself is with my past on neogaf as i posted befre some items of news that was unknown

i posted this before the ps4Pro name was announced.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=199814886=#post199814886

i also posted the xbox ones before anyone else . see post 30
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1232191

Zukkoyaki

Beyond Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Forza 7, and the usual suspects (Halo 6, Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4), do we know what else Microsoft is working on or have they even talked about it?
Based on job listings and similar things we know they have a project with Studio Gobo (of Disney Infinity) in the works and an unknown new IP from an unknown developer in the works (some think the new Playground IP).

Several reputable insiders have said that Rare has something else in the works as well.

Based on job listings and similar things we know they have a project with Studio Gobo (of Disney Infinity) in the works and an unknown new IP from an unknown developer in the works (some think the new Playground IP).

Several reputable insiders have said that Rare has something else in the works as well.

Nice. I'm hoping they bring the big guns in 2018 and beyond with the scorpio, and don't just stick to the "it will play the best multiplats card" and not take advantage of all that power. I keep hearing that Microsoft is moving away from exclusives (aside from F/G/H) but I can't tell if that's actually true or just pure speculation.

I'm certainly excited to try out the likes of State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves on it, but I'm really holding out for some new IPs to take advantage of it to the fullest extent ala UC4 on the OG PS4 and Horizon on PS4P.

JaggedSac

i'm not looking to reveal my identity or become an insider or whatever. It's up to you if you want to believe me. I could certainly have heard wrong or perhaps something has changed. i just post on neogaf sometimes to participate in interesting discussion or post something i know.

Well, that's not how it used to work around here. Someone used to say something like that and have to prove they had access to said information. Otherwise they said bye bye to the forum for a little bit.

It used to actually mean something when someone said stuff like that. Now this place is rife with "insiders".

pswii60

Funny story. playground already pitched the game to microsoft but they weren't interested in picking it up as it wasn't a gaas.

Halo 6 will come out next year.
Super Lucky's Tale isn't a GAAS, so this idea that they won't publish anything new anymore that isn't is debunked right there.

Super Lucky's Tale isn't a GAAS, so this idea that they won't publish anything new anymore that isn't is debunked right there.

super lucky tale is id@xbox which is different dept

microsoft has some big id@xbox games coming for 2018 though. that dept has done well.
Battlegorunds is a big game this year that start from id@xbox dept.

JlNX

the only way I can 'verify' myself is with my past on neogaf as i posted befre some items of news that was unknown

i posted this before the ps4Pro name was announced.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=199814886=#post199814886

i also posted the xbox ones before anyone else . see post 30
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1232191

The Neo rumours were going around since mid march in developer circles and outside that later into march, this isn't a really a great example. Your image of Xbox one x was already going around between gaffers before then due to MS's server not being properly protected, anyone if they knew could have accessed them easily and it's also the reason why the whole conference leaked. Gaffers had this stuff for days before that they just didn't want to spoil stuff which is why no one mentioned the server and tons of people were giving hints, but then some gaffers decided to tease a bit further posting Recore images. So yes you were the first to post the image but a ton of people had the image, with anyone being able to access it.

microsoft has some big id@xbox games coming for 2018 though. that dept has done well.

Uhm? Super Lucky's Tale is handled by MGP that being Shannon Loftis's group, Chris Charla's team has nothing to do with SLT actually.

EDIT: actually no it didn't come up through the ID@Xbox department, Playful is actually set up by ex MS first party studio members from 343 which is were Shannon's connection comes through. It was signed due to MS wanting more family oriented content, the game has been in development since the VR title was and development was funded by MS not picked up. As Playful as a new studio can't fund it's own games which is why it relies on Sony, MS and Oculus to fund it's studio projects, a reason why they have taken up multiple VR projects. Also games picked up from the ID@Xbox team for publishing or exclusivity still go through Chris Charla's team as they also handle publishing. Also Pubg is a very special situation and is unlike SLT not going through MGP, it is being handle by MS third party marketing and Xbox's platform team through ATG group. Third party relations team actually came to a deal for Pubg directly through Bluehole after conversations with a subsidiary of Bluehole en masse entertainment a publishing group, this was due to MS looking into other games by the team.

But you would already know that right? being an insider and all /s

The Neo rumours were going around since mid march in developer circles

that's how I heard it.

I don't know about the microsoft server for one s. that's not how i heard it

Uhm? Super Lucky's Tale is handled by MGP that being Shannon Loftis's group, Chris Charla's team has nothing to do with SLT actually.

it certainly start with id@Xbox first.

like battlegrounds and the other korea game. next year they have more id@xbox game coming. microsoft have a strong lineup next year for games and halo 6 will be there.

What we know: "As of mid-2016, MGP has 14 games in development."

This excludes games that are internally developed or externally developed, but managed by the franchise studios. ( Halo Wars 2/Forza Horizon are owned and managed by their respective franchise studios, even if it's made by an external dev )

What was qualified as among those 14 games were Phantom Dust, Crackdown 3, Scalebound, ReCore, Killer Instinct and State of Decay 2.

So...

1. Phantom Dust HD
2. Crackdown 3
3. Scalebound
4. ReCore
5. Killer Instinct
6. State of Decay 2
7. Ori & the Will of the Wisps
8. Super Luckey's Tale
9. Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Adventure Collection (maybe?)
10. Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure (maybe?)
11. Disneyland Adventures (maybe?)
12. Studio Gobo game
13. Unknown
14.Unknown
15. ReCore: Definitive Edition ( started after ReCore shipped after all )
16+: Other games/projects signed between 2016-2017

Dunno if Age of Empires projects fall under the 14 games range.

Your Microsoft contacts should probably inform you that Super Luckys isn't ID@Xbox

W.S.

Nah Super Lucky's Tale isn't being published through the ID@Xbox program, it's being published by Microsoft Studios.

Regarding future projects I'm most curious about the Studio Gobo deal since it's such an unorthodox studio. It makes me wonder if this previous job listing has something to do with them or is part of some other project altogether.

Screen-Shot-2017-06-17-at-11.41.26-PM.png

The Sega partnership deal seems to already be bearing fruit with Relic making the new Age of Empires but it's unfortunately PC only so I hope to see more Sega/Microsoft collaborations that console owners would actually care about.

Zukkoyaki

I wonder how an Age of Empires spin-off (but still a strategy game) designed with console in mind would do. You know, something kind of like Civilization: Revolution back in 2008 which released on PC but was developed with PS3 and 360 in mind. Could be cool, could be a disaster, who knows! But I see potential in something like that. A lot of folks at least know of the IP.

Chobel

lol guys, it's not hard to understand. It started as id@xbox game, then someone from MS liked it so much they decided to fund and publish it themselves.

And you don't even need KawabataSan to deduce that, the fact that the IP isn't owned by MS should tell you the publishing/funding didn't happen till very late stage of development.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Funny story. playground already pitched the game to microsoft but they weren't interested in picking it up as it wasn't a gaas.

Halo 6 will come out next year.

Must admit that if true, im happy in regards to the Playground Games new open world IP being passed on by Microsoft simply because im not into online gaming, multi-player, co-op, etc. so this makes me very excited to see what their game will be as Forza Horizon 3 was fucking awesome as is the franchise itself so I know that the development studio is good.

My prediction for Halo 6 is still October 2019. :)

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm convinced Halo 6 will be a 2019 game. Although I'm going to take a guess at it not being in the normal Fall window.

Halo 3 was September. Could be earlier.

Kayant

lol guys, it's not hard to understand. It started as id@xbox game, then someone from MS liked it so much they decided to fund and publish it themselves.

And you don't even need KawabataSan to deduce that, the fact that the IP isn't owned by MS should tell you the publishing/funding didn't happen till very late stage of development.
Yep. PUBG is a perfect example given they had no publishing plans before Gamescom.

Chris1

Why would ms own the IP even if they were publishing/funding from the start? You know super lucky tale is a sequel right? It's possible they liked the first one and got in contact with them about a sequel for Xbox and funded it from the beginning. Not saying that's what happened but it's not exactly out the realm of possibilities

Why would ms own the IP even if they were publishing/funding from the start? You know super lucky tale is a sequel right?

Because that would IMPLY that they've sold the IP to MS in exchange for full first party level funding.

As anecdotally we've heard rumours that IP ownership was a deal-breaker for a Ryse 2; implying that a policy shift could had POTENTIALLY happened within MGS to go with the "we fund it, we must own it" mindset.

I would find it a goddamn shame if they truly indeed passed on what PG pitched to them. Sure we have no idea what kind of game it is yet, but if it not being GaaS is the sole reason, well fuck that shit.

And if they want that shit so bad, couldn't they have worked something out that PG put some GaaS elements in it? Ah well, at the end of the day for me as a gamer it matters very little but MS could sure need a brand new exclusive. The one and only reason I'd like it to be exclusive is because they'll focus solely on the Xbox hardware.

But at the end of the day we have nothing concrete, only what these so called insiders are claiming.

But if this comes from a person who claimed the One X would be delayed.... yeah...

Chobel

Why would ms own the IP even if they were publishing/funding from the start? You know super lucky tale is a sequel right?

Because that's how publishers operate? Even Phil Spencer said so, if they fund it, they'll own it.

If MS were publishing/funding from the start, you can bet your ass Playful would be working on a new (or old) IP owned by MS instead of sequel to Lucky's Tale, or the less likely scenario, Playful would have sold the IP to MS.

Chris1

Because that would IMPLY that they've sold the IP to MS in exchange for full first party level funding.

As anecdotally we've heard rumours that IP ownership was a deal-breaker for a Ryse 2; implying that a policy shift could had POTENTIALLY happened within MGS to go with the "we fund it, we must own it" mindset.
It doesn't imply anything. We have seen examples multiple times this gen, ryse as you pointed out and Street fighter v where they funded the games but don't own the IP. We have also seen multiple games published by ms where they don't own the IP too, rotr and pubg for example.

As I said I'm not saying that's what happened but it's definitely possible. I think it's more likely that it went through id@xbox originally but I wouldn't rule out ms funding it either based off who owns the IP.

I would find it a goddamn shame if they truly indeed passed on what PG pitched to them. Sure we have no idea what kind of game it is yet, but if it not being GaaS is the sole reason, well fuck that shit.

Let's assume it's true, at the risk of sounding cynical, more often than not imagination is greater than reality. Something is cooler when they're "unannounced project X by esteemed developer" as opposed to "something something open world something"

I mean,what if PG's pitch was an open world zombie game? There's plenty of reasons to pass on that if you're MS.

It doesn't imply anything. We have seen examples multiple times this gen, ryse as you pointed out and Street fighter v where they funded the games but don't own the IP. We have also seen multiple games published by ms where they don't own the IP too, rotr and pubg for example.

As I said I'm not saying that's what happened but it's definitely possible. I think it's more likely that it went through id@xbox originally but I wouldn't rule out ms funding it either based off who owns the IP.

I said FULL funding. Not any of the "we paid a portion of the bills" like SFV, PUBG or DR4 but where something explicitly came to existence because of the publishers cash from day one.

Let's assume it's true, at the risk of sounding cynical, more often than not imagination is greater than reality. Something is cooler when they're "unannounced project X by esteemed developer" as opposed to "something something open world something"

I mean,what if PG's pitch was an open world zombie game? There's plenty of reasons to pass on that if you're MS.

That wasn't an issue for them when they announced State of Decay 2 and Dead Rising 4 in the same e3 conference and they were originally due out within about 8/9 months of each other.

Maybe their pitch was shit but given the lack of top quality independent developers they can work with and the ridiculously high quality of forza Horizon 3, i personally would take a very long hard think about letting playground go elsewhere even if the game itself wasn't necessarily something in an area I needed. For Microsoft I think it would be a huge mistake, great for pc and PlayStation owners though.

They should be looking to tie them down in a long partnership or acquire (I know I know RIP) not say "we have a similar game sorry lads"

Also who knows if State of Decay repeats its past success and lives on. By the time this game launches the marker could've changed significantly

I don't think similar games is necessary a huge turn off, not should it be with certain developers and the changing market.

Halo 6 next year to Highlight the 1X strengths and try to continue to build hype! perhaps even a price temp reduction by then with bundles galore.

makes sense.

Top Bottom