• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

anyone who is thibking microsoft has hidden AAA exclusives is delusional st this point. MS really needs sea of thieves game pass and mixer to be continuous revenue hits.

Rare have more IP than the rest of Microsoft's studios combined.

Btw, can anyone tell me what happened to Killer Instinct, is it still active?
Last new character getting shown off this week.

Tbh,i was pretty disappointed with MS' new first party output this year (which is to say, it didn't exist.) We got Forza, Ori 2, and... That's it. Hopefully the other shows later this year aren't similarly bereft.

It was a good games showcase but not a great first party publisher one.

Last new character getting shown off this week.

Tbh,i was pretty disappointed with MS' new first party output this year (which is to say, it didn't exist.) We got Forza, Ori 2, and... That's it. Hopefully the other shows later this year aren't similarly bereft.

It was a good games showcase but not a great first party publisher one.

LOL other shows? They probably skip Gamescom completely. They don't have anything else to show.

EmiPrime

My annual Xbox first-party (+ lifetime/major 3rd-party timed exclusive) chart that looks specifically at the announcement line-ups, updated with the latest E3 announcements.

Xbox FP 2017 in summary? The emperor has no clothes.

DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

Sneakers and Matt vindicated. Some people owe them an apology.

I knew I would be buying Ori 2, Cuphead and Crackdown 3 before the conference and there was nothing else for me. No surprises, no new IP.

My annual Xbox first-party (+ lifetime/major 3rd-party timed exclusive) chart that looks specifically at the announcement line-ups, updated with the latest E3 announcements.

DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg
Thank you, Night!

And yeah, Sneakers, Matt and Shinobi tried to do what they could to tell us this was coming.

I still don't believe Sneakers knows anything. Actual insiders don't act like that when questioned. Making the most pessimistic call possible and being right isn't really vindication.

Matt, yeah. He got treated too harshly.

LOL other shows? They probably skip Gamescom completely. They don't have anything else to show.
We know there's a HW2 expansion pack they have to show off at some point. Ditto Halo 6.

I doubt there's much in the pipeline, but hey, I can hope.

fantomena

DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

Holy shit, it's not just terrible, it's simply very sad.

Strootman

DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

I understand the complaints. Still lots of work to do. Games, XBL, platform etc. Proud of the team. BC is great.

Linkified

We know there's a HW2 expansion pack they have to show off at some point. Ditto Halo 6.

I doubt there's much in the pipeline, but hey, I can hope.

Well there were 9 unaccounted for games from MS Global Publishing team two of those are Super Lucky Tales and Ori 2. So 7 total unaccounted that is to assume that since 2016 and now they haven't signed more through that.

DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

This is going to get a lot of usage on here and rightly so.

Phil's handling of first party studios and games has been nothing short of shambolic: from studio closures to cancelled games and a lacklustre series of internally developed games.

They need to go on a buying spree / set up new studios. Is the budget there though? It doesn't look like it :(

Linkified

Phil's handling of first party studios and games has been nothing short of shambolic: from studio closures to cancelled games and a lacklustre series of internally developed games.

They need to go on a buying spree / set up new studios. Is the budget there though? It doesn't look like it :(

If Satya doesn't unlock the funds for him he can't. Hence why Gamepass was probably set up to produce extra revenue as well.

GHG

They probably blew their budget on R&D for Xbox One X. Oh and the Minecraft aquisition.

Minecraft is a fantastic aquisition from a business perspective but it speaks volumes when they chose to do that instead of using the money to assemble teams that could create the next big thing like Minecraft.

And then Phils management of what they have had during his tenure has been piss poor. Remedy not partnering with them anymore, lionhead getting shut down, the Scalebound cancellelation, no word of them making inroads to form a long term partnership with insomniac. It's just poor all round.

Did they actually show somethinh new in any way? Ori 2 I guess but we all knew it was coming.

This sucks and it is so dissapointing. Bring back Fable! Or do the Forza with Crimson Skies and bring that back or something else. As it stands ee only have the 3rd party games to care about.

Ok so we've known 2017's line-up for over a year now (even longer with crackdown, and we could have assumed forza years ago).

When will we find out 2018's line-up? Are they going to try and make every announcement at next year's E3 a 'surprise' announcement, or will they have a conference at gamescom? Or just announce games randomly from here on.

Ok so we've known 2017's line-up for over a year now (even longer with crackdown, and we could have assumed forza years ago).

When will we find out 2018's line-up? Are they going to try and make every announcement at next year's E3 a 'surprise' announcement, or will they have a conference at gamescom? Or just announce games randomly from here on.
Before this year I would've said they were planning something major for E3 where we get a bunch of teasers for 2018. Now I'm thinking their full lineup for that year might just be Halo, Horizon, Sea of Thieves, and Ori.

Shiggy

Halo 6 and the next GoW will be shown at E3 2018 probably.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I said this in the other thread, but is it inevitable that we got this year as a bit of a lull on the heavy-hitters as Phil Spencer (as he said previously) transitions to shorter E3-release times?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I said this in the other thread, but is it inevitable that we got this year as a bit of a lull on the heavy-hitters as Phil Spencer (as he said previously) transitions to shorter E3-release times?

Yeah but it hasn't been only one year and nothing seems great for next year.

Zeta Oni

I don't know about you all but I can confidently say after this E3, I won't be investing any more money or time into Xbox. Been a fan since 2004, but whatever xbox was then is long gone now.

I'll take that One X money I put aside and get a switch.

Starfield

Looks like your typical Microsoft E3 going into a console cycle. At the beginning great show in games and in the end nothing.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I don't know about you all but I can confidently say after this E3, I won't be investing any more money or time into Xbox. Been a fan since 2004, but whatever xbox was then is long gone now.

I'll take that One X money I put aside and get a switch.

You can also buy a new GPU or a ps4 along with your switch

Its for the best that they go to a shorter announce to release window because not even SoD2 made its release window and they announced that last year.

I'm taking a I'll believe it when I see it approach with Microsoft's first party.

If Satya doesn't unlock the funds for him he can't. Hence why Gamepass was probably set up to produce extra revenue as well.

The most pathetic thing about this whole situation is that their first party lineup of new 2017 releases can fit in a single tweet. "Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3 and Forza Motorsport 7"

You could probably fit a hashtag or two in there. Frankly, if you are a platform holder, you have to be willing and able to support a certain level of costs on hardware, software and services. If Microsoft is unable or unwilling to support the necessary software development costs suitable for a platform holder, then they should get out of the business.

It's possible, but the lack of behind the scenes buildup (new studios, hiring sprees, etc.) makes it unlikely that that's the primary cause. At best it's amplifying the issues brought around by MS' downsized and factory line first party.

Cpt Lmao

Yeah and that's their problem, in the past they made all sorts of games but today, studios only focus on one game - even more so under Microsoft - and Rare doesn't have one.

Well, as mentioned, this is a dangerous strategy and allows no scope for creative growth. Considering that Sea of Thieves looks very good, it'd make sense to have a division of Rare look after it while the rest of them develop something new. They might be Microsoft's most talented studio, after all.

Yes I did, and they guy I quoted didn't have those criterias you listed. For all that's evident, the Xbox One platform will have great 3rd party support, with a lot of them releasing first on Xbox one.

After Xbox lost their Third Party partnerships we were told this was because a switch in focus to first party. Starting the hype machines, everything coming from the Xbox camp was alluding to that. Criptic messages, studios being tight lipped etc. Big hype about the best pixels ever, well where are the heavy hitters at? The worst thing about it is their smugness in thinking this changes anything.

Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to subject your audience ton"EXCLUSIVE!!" 22 times? The industry is laughing them off the block, every post conference show was groaning at the fact that MS continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

I will be buying a One X. I am engraved in an Xbox lifecycle. I have 100s of games for the platform.

But this... ?

Ouch. It is sad to see it positioned like this. Do you have a similar chart for Sony (I appreciate no 2017 update yet).

I agree with your view on 2013 and to a certain extent through 2015. Ryse, Quantum Break, Powerstar Golf, Recore, Sunset Overdrive. All new exciting and different IP.

I've played all those games. There is not one 'bad' one. Some well received critical games, but were any commercially successful? Probably not, no. MS should be sitting down and asking, why?

I'd love a Ryse 2. A Sunset Overdrive 2. A Quantum Break 2. Allow these games to build on their original launch. Could they be a success?

The last 2-3 years is sad to see the first party output drifting away.

Game development doesn't happen over night. Buidling a new title/franchise is not easy. I get all this.

But one of two things is surely happening at MS right now.

1. Focusing on the core IP they have. Halo, Forza, Gears. Adding additional value through their other services. Game Pass, Xbox Live Gold/Free games. And being the best place to play 3rd party games.

Or

2. It is Option 1 for now... until they are ready to share whatever they are working on behind the scenes.

I really hope it is option 2. MS and Xbox has brought great games to the table over its history. Here is a quick list (OK, some of these are just published by MS)

Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding
Halo
Project Gotham Racing
Rallisport Challenge
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Midtown Madness
Mechassault
Fable
Jade Empire
Phantom Dust
Gears of War
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Crackdown
Zoo Tycoon
Ryse
Quantum Break
Ori
Recore

blakep267

Well there were 9 unaccounted for games from MS Global Publishing team two of those are Super Lucky Tales and Ori 2. So 7 total unaccounted that is to assume that since 2016 and now they haven't signed more through that.
Your not counting Cuphead. Shannon said they were showing 5 games this E3.

State of decay 2
Crackdown 3
Ori and the will of the wisp
Super Luckys Tale
Cuphead

Add those to
Recore
Scalebound
Phantom dust
Studio gobos game(?)

There's 5 more games somewhere

Linkified

The most pathetic thing about this whole situation is that their first party lineup of new 2017 releases can fit in a single tweet. "Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3 and Forza Motorsport 7"

You could probably fit a hashtag or two in there. Frankly, if you are a platform holder, you have to be willing and able to support a certain level of costs on hardware, software and services. If Microsoft is unable or unwilling to support the necessary software development costs suitable for a platform holder, then they should get out of the business.

Well as everyone is forgetting Super Lucky Tales you can add that in as well.

They also have announced Super Lucky Tale but as you know that it isn't a port. So strange why you didn't include it.

Is this a Microsoft published title? Or is it just a timed indie thing?

Either way, I mean you can add it to the list if you want, I don't think it makes the list any less awful

Shiggy

Sea of Thieves.

Delayed to 2018
to give Rare employees more time to look for new jobs

Lol, is that you?

Is this a Microsoft published title? Or is it just a timed indie thing?

Either way, I mean you can add it to the list if you want, I don't think it makes the list any less awful

Microsoft-published. It's an expanded port of an Oculus Rift exclusive, which didn't launch to much critical acclaim.

Linkified

Your not counting Cuphead. Shannon said they were showing 5 games this E3.

State of decay 2
Crackdown 3
Ori and the will if the wisp
Super Luckys Tale
Cuphead

Cuphead is from ID @ Xbox. They are showed from global publishing 4 games at the press conference which are SoD2, CD3, Ori 2, Super Luckys Tale.

MS Studios including their studios have 5 games playable on the show floor which supposedly are: Forza 7, CD3(Single player), Sea of Thieves, Super Luckys Tale, and SoD2/Ori.

Find me the tweet which showing she stated 5 MS Global Publishing or that Cuphead which is still an ID@Xbox title.

blakep267

Cuphead is from ID @ Xbox. They are showed from global publishing 4 games at the press conference which are SoD2, CD3, Ori 2, Super Luckys Tale.

MS Studios including their studios have 5 games playable on the show floor which supposedly are: Forza 7, CD3(Single player), Sea of Thieves, Super Luckys Tale, and SoD2/Ori.
I don't think it's ID@xbox anymore. Unless Recore Definotive edition is the 5th game

Top Bottom