• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

univbee

No, these are announcements made throughout an entire year.

Normally most of MS's announcement are just at E3, but Sony has 2-3 events per year.

As for why WoFF is excluded, if I were to include every single game announced the list would be too long, so I made my own creative decision to limit the number of 3rd-party games included. Only those that are major/lifetime exclusive/etc.

Fair enough.

question:

answer:
I mean, this is definitely MS' take on it internally. Betting that being the best place to play third party games on a technical and service level is worth more than a strong exclusive lineup this late in the game isn't without sense, but between PS' mindshare advantage and the 499 price point I'm skeptical how well it'll pay off for them.

Vire

They clearly attacked it from the angle that 3rd party games will all look and run better on our system. But I don't think they demonstrated how much the difference will be. The Assassin's Creed demo didn't look demonstrably better than what we have seen before from the series so I am kind of left just shrugging my shoulders.

Incredibly disappointed in the first party offerings. Hoping for new IPs from the first party crew but it seems we will need to wait a while since most of the new ideas got scrapped and put in the trashcan.

According to VentureBeat, Microsoft is publishing that arena game with the cringey shoutcaster, The Darwin Project

https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/11/...game-the-darwin-project-as-an-xbox-exclusive/

So Forza 7, Ori 2, Darwin Project, Super Lucky's Tale were the announced games

It is not timed

No offence to the game or the developer but this is not what I expect to see on stage at the Xbox E3 press conference, unless its part of an indie montage or sizzle reel.

I really really hope some journalists actually earn their living and question Phil on the goals, roadmap and investment for first party. Cause as an outsider looking in it looks to me that they are coasting to a sell off of the division.

That's not hyperbolic that's just what it looks like. The fall from grace from the 360 to where we are now us heart-breaking.

I'm pretty much a one person console guy, due to time commitments rather than money or anything else and Xbox has me hooked because of Halo and Forza. Never considered jumping ship until now.....

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I mean, this is definitely MS' take on it internally. Betting that being the best place to play third party games on a technical and service level is worth more than a strong exclusive lineup this late in the game isn't without sense, but between PS' mindshare advantage and the 499 price point I'm skeptical how well it'll pay off for them.

Yeah. I thought, man, we're gonna see them address their first party situation head on this E3. And in a way, they did: they showed that they are wholly uninterested in expanding their first party catalog.

Next year, we will get a big Halo 6 blowout, a new Gears teaser, another Forza game, and that right there already consumes half of the conference. "Xbox is Better than Ever." "Wow there was a much bigger presence of first party this year!" and so on.

They are playing the services game. Games as a service, Xbox as a platform service. Hey, remember 360 games? Here's a backwards compatibility program, a Games Pass program that lets you play as many as you want, and a Games with Gold program that gives you free 360 games every month. And not only that, it's expanding to the original Xbox! Think about that- three different services for one kind of platform, on one console.

If I had to guess, MS blew most of their budget on Xbox One X instead of first party. If they had to make a choice, I suppose they made the right decision, since it is vital they hold on to their market for as long as they can. In the meantime, they can build PR wins with BC compatibility, new dashboard features, doing things Sony isn't really wanting to at the moment (cross console play), etc. Phil can always blast on Twitter with a "hey we hear you guys, we listened to your feedback, and we're definitely going to be sharing this with the Xbox team to bring you exciting announcements for next year!"

They are uninterested in first party development. The times they've had partnerships with studios either ends with those studios going multiplatform (Remedy, Insomniac jumping with Sony on Spider-Man, Playground, Respawn with Titanfall 2), cancellations (Scalebound, Phantom Dust) or something out of their control (Crytek closing or on the verge of closing), or even just poor performance (think we'll ever see Halo Wars 3 after those sales?). Sony has their share of duds too, but they keep pushing forward. We're even getting a Knack 2 for crying out loud. Why doesn't MS want to take the risk with a Sunset Overdrive 2? Oh, because they don't own the IP. Guess they'll let that partnership dry up then! (We didn't even get any "exclusive partnerships" this year, aside from indie and lower budget titles.)

Xbox is not what they once were, but that's entirely the plan. They are moving into the services industry. First party is not a priority aside from their three tentpole franchises, and they're ok with that. I wonder if gamers will be too.

Darwin Project was announced months ago

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/03/09/pax-east-2017-the-darwin-project-hunger-games-meets-twitch

Microsoft doesn't seem to be publishing it and Super Lucky's Tale in the traditional sense (IE: Investing money and resources into it from the start) just that they are chipping in to get those games on their platform.
Yep, but they are still spending money on publishing duties. Probably paying for the porting costs, cert costs, and obviously marketing support. I know I'm kinda just repeating what you are saying, but just typing it out there for everyone :p

I actually like that they are helping smaller devs again. Brings me back to the XBLA days of them publishing small games. The situation was different then where studios "needed" them but still

The picture showing all the Xbox One E3's is really not a good look and if we go by that it's not exactly promising for the future, only seems to get worse now. Which i really hope not. It's really time they put the money where their mouth is, because improving first party has been promising too many times now. I didn't expect much this year, but jesus hopefully next year because when else?

I know establising studios or making deals with third party studios for a new game isn't something that happens overnight. I mean i am not gonna claim i have any insight of that, but surely things need to change for damn sure. I'm sure we'll see plenty of tweets from Phil Spencer this year where he acknowledges the importance of first party. But that's not cutting it anymore.

Yesterday he clearly was very proud of thediverse lineup, all cool and well but most of that were not their own games.

Apathy

I will say Sony doesn't have as much first party either. They have a lot of 2nd party relationships and games that are third party that will never hit the Xbox.

Really curious what they show, because I can easily wait to get a X next year, and use this time to finally grab a PlayStation.

The hell? Sony has 10 or 11 first party studios all working on games for the ps4. Like proper non vr games. Then they have Manchester that is doing vr games

No offence to the game or the developer but this is not what I expect to see on stage at the Xbox E3 press conference, unless its part of an indie montage or sizzle reel.

I really really hope some journalists actually earn their living and question Phil on the goals, roadmap and investment for first party. Cause as an outsider looking in it looks to me that they are coasting to a sell off of the division.

That's not hyperbolic that's just what it looks like. The fall from grace from the 360 to where we are now us heart-breaking.

I'm pretty much a one person console guy, due to time commitments rather than money or anything else and Xbox has me hooked because of Halo and Forza. Never considered jumping ship until now.....

???

Seriously this was the best xbox conference I've seen in terms of games.
I'm a Gran Turismo fanboy so I gravitate towards Playstation but the one thing I really disliked about xbox was that is was too much a 'dudebro' console that catered for CoD, Halo, Gears and Forza. It's always had less variety than Playstation in my eyes.
This conference however had so much more interesting and different stuff this year.
Yes there was too much talking, too much cringey BS and one too many Porsche 911s but I was generally regretful of my impulse XBO S purchase this morning and now I'm actually not. I genuinely don't care for 90% of xbox's first party trash but I'm genuinely eager to see a lot of what was shown today.

Vire

???

I'm a Gran Turismo fanboy so I gravitate towards Playstation but the one thing I really disliked about xbox was that is was too much a 'dudebro' console that catered for CoD, Halo, Gears and Forza. It's always had less variety than Playstation in my eyes.
This conference however had so much more interesting and different stuff this year.
Yes there was too much talking, too much cringey BS and one too many Porsche 911s but I was generally regretful of my impulse XBO S purchase this morning and now I'm actually not. I genuinely don't care for 90% of xbox's first party trash but I'm genuinely eager to see a lot of what was shown today.

But if you have an Xbox S and Playstation 4, what is the reason to be excited for this conference? Almost every game you saw can be played on a different platform.

New IP is the lifeblood of our industry. It's also risky, at
EA
we have dreams thinking up a lot of projects and only the greatest will make their way to you and thats okay, its all a part of the creative process becasue when you find something special, there is no greater feeling for a developer than introducing players to a brand new world.

This is the intro to the last game shown at the MS conference yesterday, I actually chuckled to myself as Patrick Söderlund was introducing Anthem. Was Phil listening on the sidelines questioning his own decisions and company goals or was he just thinking I hope enough people buy that $499 box?

Im not saying its doomsday for Xbox or the end of the line for the division but if it continues down this path, it 100% will be and I dont think any of us want that.

Where abouts is Creating new studios on the User Voice thing?

This is the intro to the last game shown at the MS conference yesterday, I actually chuckled to myself as Patrick Söderlund was introducing Anthem. Was Phil listening on the sidelines questioning his own decisions and company goals or was he just thinking I hope enough people buy that $499 box?

Im not saying its doomsday for Xbox or the end of the line for the division but if it continues down this path, it 100% will be and I dont think any of us want that.

I'd be gutted if it did happen but being a fan only goes so far. We don't owe them anything. I'm seeing stuff on my FB with comments such as "we need to keep giving feedback", are the people at Xbox really that ignorant ? Fans have given feedback for years dude, I ask myself is it worth it anymore.

Not telling anyone what to do or what to spend their dollar on, always felt the very best way of showing approval or disproval is voting with the wallet.

But if you have an Xbox S and Playstation 4, what is the reason to be excited for this conference? Almost every game you saw can be played on a different platform.

Well that's the $64 question. What the fuck does "console launch exclusive" entail?
Otherwise the following are what I'm genuinely interested in:
• Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds
• Deep Rock Galactic (CLE)
• The Last Night (CLE)
• The Artful Escape (CLE)
• Code Vein (CLE)
• Sea of Thieves
• Super Lucky’s Tale (CLE)
• Ashen (CLE)
• Ori and the Will of the Wisp

That's 9 games which is more than double what I currently own on my xbo s.

univbee

No, these are announcements made throughout an entire year.

Normally most of MS's announcement are just at E3, but Sony has 2-3 events per year.

As for why WoFF is excluded, if I were to include every single game announced the list would be too long, so I made my own creative decision to limit the number of 3rd-party games included. Only those that are major/lifetime exclusive/etc.

Incidentally, oh wow, I started listing games that were exclusives but not on your list and wow, you weren't kidding and I can see why you made the choices you did, it's just absurd how many there are, it's well over a hundred, maybe even 200.

Linkified

You do realise creating new studios is not an overnight process look at The Coalition from starting life as Zipline games to releasing their first game 5 years.

Maybe MS Studios is using Global Publishing team to find the right studios which fit in how MS works and build them up from that point.

When Sony has multiple Studios working on multiple IPs at each Studio that is what MS should be striving for. When you watch hardcore Xbox complain that MS are investing in Sea of Thieves and Super Luckys Tale and Ori 2. That is where the issue lies.

Incidentally, oh wow, I started listing games that were exclusives but not on your list and wow, you weren't kidding and I can see why you made the choices you did, it's just absurd how many there are, it's well over a hundred, maybe even 200.

The primary reason for my chart in the first place is to identify 2 key things:

1. what are the first-party investments made and outlook in short-long term
2. what are the specific third-party deals done by platform owner

A lot of PlayStation exclusives are there by default because Japanese devs don't believe in Xbox. I don't want to include those games because it's effectively "given for free" to Sony by the virtue of their dominance.

I want the focus to be first-party, with the occasional insight into games that Sony/MS are making clear strategic partnerships with third-party ( like Crash or Tomb Raider )

AtkO

I will say Sony doesn't have as much first party either. They have a lot of 2nd party relationships and games that are third party that will never hit the Xbox.

Really curious what they show, because I can easily wait to get a X next year, and use this time to finally grab a PlayStation.

Excuse me, sir, let's look at something from the list that's on the very same page as your post

DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

Ld0whAE.png

Most of what you see on Sony's list is first party...

RPGamer92

Banned
Well that's the $64 question. What the fuck does "console launch exclusive" entail?
Otherwise the following are what I'm genuinely interested in:
• Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds
• Deep Rock Galactic (CLE)
• The Last Night (CLE)
• The Artful Escape (CLE)
• Code Vein (CLE)
• Sea of Thieves
• Super Lucky’s Tale (CLE)
• Ashen (CLE)
• Ori and the Will of the Wisp

That's 9 games which is more than double what I currently own on my xbo s.
Code Vein's not exclusive at all.

Vire

If I am understanding it correctly, console launch exclusive just means first to Xbox then eventually other platforms?

Ashen and The Last Night look cool though. Whatever happened to Below? I have no idea.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You do realise creating new studios is not an overnight process look at The Coalition from starting life as Zipline games to releasing their first game 5 years.

Maybe MS Studios is using Global Publishing team to find the right studios which fit in how MS works and build them up from that point.
This is not an overnight problem. This isn't a problem they only recently came across. Why are you giving them the benefit of the doubt when they very clearly expressed where their stance on first party is at the conference?

Wozman23

My annual Xbox first-party (+ lifetime/major 3rd-party timed exclusive) chart that looks specifically at the announcement line-ups, updated with the latest E3 announcements.

Xbox FP 2017 in summary? The emperor has no clothes.

DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

The One was off to such a promising start, and Microsoft finally talked me into buying one of their consoles for the first time. I picked up the Sunset Overdrive bundle under the guise that they were starting to focus more on a wider variety of first party games, new IPs, and exclusives with great games like it, Recore, Quantum Break, Ori, and Cuphead.

But this is looking pretty dire. I really expected them to come out swinging with new games to back up the X, but it seems foolish to me to buy a $500 half-iteration to a console I already own, especially when the only games I have to look forward to are two 2D indie games: Cuphead and Ori 2. (It also doesn't help that I'm not a fan of Gears or Halo, so next year's presumed "big" announcements will fall flat in my eyes.)

The average game company ideally wants to put out 1 piece of hardware, then sell you on various games. That business model makes the most sense.

Microsoft on the other hand wants to put out 1 game, and sell you 3 different pieces of hardware.

Jokingly, yes, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's not far from the truth. They basically have what they see as 3 sustainable franchises with Forza, Halo, and Gears. Yet they've released 4 versions of the One: the original, the Elite, the S, and now the X. That logic is so backwards it's insane.

Sony is in the excellent position they are in despite early missteps with the PS3 because they actively pursued developers and acquired talent, even long before that. They lost their early IP, like Crash and Spyro, from the PS1 days, but after that they began to build a solid portfolio. They scooped up quality studios like Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Sucker Punch, and Media Molecule, and have strong bonds with independent developers like Insomniac and Ninja Theory. They constantly look to create new IP. And that's why they are where they are today.

Microsoft really needs to adopt some of that way of thinking.

It's also worth mentioning that it's been said that Super Lucky's Tale is a glorified, expanded port of the Oculus Rift title, so it's more like a "Console Sloppy Seconds Exclusive" Apparently it is a full sequel. Even so, it looks pretty shallow and derivative for a platformer in 2017.

univbee

The primary reason for my chart in the first place is to identify 2 key things:

1. what are the first-party investments made and outlook in short-long term
2. what are the specific third-party deals done by platform owner

A lot of PlayStation exclusives are there by default because Japanese devs don't believe in Xbox. I don't want to include those games because it's effectively "given for free" to Sony by the virtue of their dominance.

I want the focus to be first-party, with the occasional insight into games that Sony/MS are making clear strategic partnerships with third-party ( like Crash or Tomb Raider )

This makes sense.

Lom1lo

I think next e3 will tell if microsoft has given up on making new ips. They have a okay/good quantity until then with forza 7, sea of thieves, state of decay 2,crackdown, ori (dont know if this hits before e3?) and various dlc.
But next e3 they dont have "old" games to show.

Linkified

This is not an overnight problem. This isn't a problem they only recently came across. Why are you giving them the benefit of the doubt when they very clearly expressed where their stance on first party is at the conference?

Because I have worked for a large multinational company - not in games industry, however, trying to get money from higher ups to fund projects that would lead growth in said company as nigh on impossible.

I appreciate the struggle that Phil and Co. is in. They have a budget to work in set by the CFO of MS.

If they have just been given access to more money for investment of Studios last year, lets say, that increases headcount which costs more longer term costs. If the began the process last year with key individuals - what did you expect them to say a nothing announcement of :

Phil: Hey we have started 2 new studios!
Everyone: What are they working on?
Phil: I don't know.

Being a head in a large company doesn't mean he can spend whatever his division wants. Hence the multiple nostalgia plays of MCC, Rare Replay, BC and this year of OG BC.

Kaji AF16

As weak as Microsoft´s conference was IMHO, and even if the difference in the output of exclusives is almost inarguable at this point, looking at those lists I realized that ultimately I wouldn´t be able to switch to Playstation. Forza alone is more valuable to me than all of Sony´s exclusives.
Of course, there´s also the Xbox ecosystem and my list of friends as strong factors for me to continue playing primarily on my old, fat, launch One.

That said, I still believe that during 2018 this first party barren landscape situation has to be reverted with much more than Halo 6 and Forza Horizon 4 alone.

zeexlash

Just thinking they should have waited until they had a bunch of Xbox back compatible games ready and announced a Rare Replay-style compilation.

closing Kinect studios, dismantling Kinect lowerinf expextations of hardware pprbably impacted microsoft for a looong time. they need one of their services to become the next big thing

My annual Xbox first-party (+ lifetime/major 3rd-party timed exclusive) chart that looks specifically at the announcement line-ups, updated with the latest E3 announcements.

Xbox FP 2017 in summary? The emperor has no clothes.

DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

This image is downright sad.

I will give credit where it's due though. The announcement of original Xbox BC and Ori 2 ensures I won't be selling my XB1.

But if I didn't already own one, there is absolutely no way in hell I'd be purchasing an Xbox console anytime soon.

Excuse me, sir, let's look at something from the list that's on the very same page as your post

DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

Ld0whAE.png

Most of what you see on Sony's list is first party...

Man, 2017 is looking rough for Sony.

???

I felt it was the weakest one they've had in the Xbone era but it's nice that some people got hyped by it. I'm one of those weirdos who thought MS put on great shows in the first couple of years of this gen so what do I know?

MisterR

It's amazing the fall from grace. I've still got my 360 hooked up to the TV and I sold my Xbox One to get a Switch when I realized I was mostly playing 360 games on it.

Zeta Oni

Did we? Then why Sneakers got so much shit for saying what he said?

Because, again, that poster was constantly negative and never showed up to participate in conversations where there wasn't an opportunity to express that negativity.

I said it then and ill say it now (and I personally thought MS's E3 was terrible).

Doesn't matter if they are an insider or not.

Idk, I'm kinda convinced Xbox has 0 new IPs in the pipeline and they think they can coast with Halo, Gears, Forza for all eternity.

If ever there was a time to reveal cool new IP, this was the time to do it. I mean Phil had over 3 years to plan for this!

Chris1

More to do with the way he came across than him saying they don't have any games to show.

It was pretty obvious this E3 was going to be light, if I'm honest I didn't expect it to be that light, but I don't think many were expecting MS to go up and announce like 40 AAA's or something.

Because when questioned he either vanished into the aether or berated those who dared doubt his universal but unspecified connections. Which is... Like, not SUPER trustworthy behavior?

He may have been right, but that doesn't make him legit.

Top Bottom