• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to have new exclusive IP at E3, focus more on first party titles

Welfare

It's F2P, it won't bomb. F2P games have actually been pretty successful on console. Neverwinter is doing really good on XB1, Warframe is doing good on both for example.

What metric are you using for Neverwinter? If there is something about how well it's doing, I'd like to see it.

Wizman23

Banned
I agree with this, just woke up and started reading this thread, and it's kinda sad. What should be a place for Microsoft fans to discuss what they may be excited to see and speculate on what games may be, people seem to be pretty much going "but sony is better, we got more games" that's cool and all, but is that what this topic is really about? Compare this thread to the Sony E3 thread the other day, the difference is as clear as day. I'm a Sony fan, but this is embarrassing as all hell to see sometimes.

100% this. It's like this with every MS thread. The latest Halo thread is full of the same shit.

Well yeah it is I agree. Too much console war bs going on.
You did specify the sony e3 thread and said it was different, then said all ms threads are like it so it seemed to me thats what you were getting at. My apologies.

It's hilarious reading you say this and then looking at how you post on N4G. Assuming you go by the same moniker over there ...

Somnia

What metric are you using for Neverwinter? If there is something about how well it's doing, I'd like to see it.

Just the metric of how many people I see playing it and spending money (based off items they have). I know it's all anecdotal, but having played MMO's for as long as I have it's easy to gauge if a game is doing ok or not. Maybe it's not meeting expectations, who knows, but from what I can tell it seems to be doing good.

It's F2P, it won't bomb. F2P games have actually been pretty successful on console. Neverwinter is doing really good on XB1, Warframe is doing good on both for example.
Have info on neverwinter? The game still has to be good which warframe is, is legends? Gave some serious doubts.

It will bomb if nobody spends any money on playing it, and I am still yet to see any interest for the game.

It just seems odd to me that one of Microsoft's biggest studios is putting out this seemingly basic F2P game that nobody cares about. I thought they would be doing something much more impressive than this.

I want Microsoft to come out and drop the bomb and say that all first party titles released from Win10 launch on will be cross-buy, cross-play (where it makes sense), and cross-save between Win10 and Xbox One. Also that they'll be enabling this same functionality via API for any third party developers that want to integrate.

Win/win for XB1 and Win10 owners. Players can build up a library on Win10 and feel the value prop for an XB1 increase and the same for XB1 owners who don't own Win10.

If it is truly Microsoft's goal to get everyone to upgrade and to create a first class PC gaming experience in Win10 this is surely the way to do it.

Sony's value prop with cross-buy/play/save is a great feature to their ecosystem, and its high time Microsoft matched and could even exceed it since they own Windows.

Anything less and I will be disappointed. I want to play Halo 5 on my beefy PC, and I want to play it on my comfy couch too. Make it happen MS.

Little different. Sony's cross play is still limited to their platform and ecosystem, forcing a hardware buy in. For MS to make every game Win10, it would pretty much eliminate the need for an XB1 for a good amount of the gaming population.

I love my XB1 but if they did this it would be gone because I also have a good gaming PC and a PS4.

If their goal was to become a software only company it would make better sense to go the way of Sega. Sad thing is MS makes some stupid ass choices undercutting their other hardware divisions, so I could see them doing this, lol.

Somnia

Have info on neverwinter? The game still has to be good which warframe is, is legends? Gave some serious doubts.

As posted above, I'm just going off what I see. No idea how good/bad Legends is till it's out. There just isn't a lot of F2P games on consoles yet which will help it either way.

It will bomb if nobody spends any money on playing it, and I am still yet to see any interest for the game.

It just seems odd to me that one of Microsoft's biggest studios is putting out this seemingly basic F2P game that nobody cares about. I thought they would be doing something much more impressive than this.

I agree with you, I have no excitement for Fable Legends, but the basis it's a F2P game on console, which there isn't much competition yet will more than likely lead to it being somewhat successful. I could be way wrong and it may bomb hard and make no money, but I just don't see that happening.

Actually beyond those two games, I think SMITE will be huge on Xbox 1.

So a healthy software ecosystem doesn't lead to financial success? The relative health of the Windows ecosystem will encourage the next PC gamer to buy a Windows license. And we're back at my original statement.
You are grossly over thinking things , I was simply talking about revenue from releasing a game on windows....you can keep up your crusade elsewhere. Its not like,said pc woyld not have windows regardless.

You have no way to prove or qualify anything else. Windows is already a monopoly, a game releasing on it wont change anything.

I've got a list...

People who promised me nudes but never delivered...

Vernia
Justsomeguy
Steverulez
bish
Smokeydave
Percy
Hasney
NTGYK
Ratsky
T.O.P

Broken promises everywhere!!!
My name's not on that list for a good reason.
I deliver
Eww. Ain't nobody but Mrs Justsomeguy needs to see that.

LQX

Please no fucking Forza. I cant take another year of them driving past some fucking snowy mountain and green grass.

Attempt to surprise us MS. Something genuinely new please.

Alx

Actually beyond those two games, I think SMITE will be huge on Xbox 1.

Eh, after trying Smite my only hope was that Fable Legends would be much better, because I didn't really enjoy what I played.
I'm quite confident that Lionhead can produce something that looks and plays better actually, what still doesn't convince me is the asymmetrical gameplay. It doesn't seem it worked well for Evolve (or did it ?), it would be an additional hurdle to pass.

High anticipation for Quantum Break and Scalebound, and a 0% for Fable Legends...all is in good place !!

A bit more love for Forza 6 would be appreciated though. =P

It's a shame that, should Scalebound be as incredible as I expect it to be, being a Kamiya game, it's sales won't match up with that poll. A damn shame :( Either way, I must at all costs see gameplay at E3.

It's a shame that, should Scalebound be as incredible as I expect it to be, being a Kamiya game, it's sales won't match up with that poll. A damn shame :( Either way, I must at all costs see gameplay at E3.

Platinum guy mentioned he was in Seattle this week so I think its looking good for E3 prep

You said that "they don't get anything when someone puts a game out on windows"

I said they did. So... Where is this strawman argument?

I've quoted your post for your reference.

Like it or not Steam has dug the PC gaming ecosystem out from under Microsoft's feet. Compare Windows to any other modern OS: iOS gives Apple ~30% of all software transactions, so does Android with Google (on Google Play Services devices) and Windows gives... Valve 30%....

You can bet Microsoft is seething over this. Yes the presence of Steam and Windows being the de facto PC gaming OS does increase market share from users that would normally use a different general purpose OS, but what does that make them? One Windows license, which is worth less and less as people get their Operating Systems for cheap or free. And to make it worse (for MS), Valve is actively trying to switch the de facto PC gaming platform to a custom version of Linux so that they can own the whole stack. Microsoft HAS to see this happening, and if they don't act decisively they could see one of the last bastions of 'core' Windows users defect to an OS that better serves their needs. Maybe not soon, given the inherent advantage they get from Linux not running most AAA games, but at some point in the future Valve is gonna lay their cards down and if MS doesn't have an answer they'll be in for a harsh reality check.

The good thing (for them) is that they have an opportunity to own the stack, and do some really cool things with it. They already have a userbase with Win10 boxes under the TV (XB1) whereas Valve is struggling to even enter the large screen market. Microsoft needs to lean, hard, into their advantages, and shore up their deficiencies.

Cross buy/play/save, streaming (both ways, from TV box to PC, AND from beefy PC to TV), WAN streaming, API support for mods and user created content, API support for standardized PC gaming settings, API support for fine grained storage details, API support for standardized input systems on all Win10 platforms (Mouse+KB, Game Pad, Fight Sticks, Touch, Voice, HOTAS', etc), party systems between devices, marketplace for digital licenses, cross-device gaming identity and achievement platform, cross-device leaderboards. All these things should come to Win10, and sooner rather than later.

I'm interested in FL, want to try it. I have absolutely no objection to F2P done right (see: MOBAs).

Chobel

From that thread:

No more from me on the topic in this thread. Just wanted to address those two posts.

Probably should read its OP
We don't know about any big AAA game Sony has for the holidays. We don't even know of any AAA marketing deals with 3rd party games.

In comparison, here's Microsofts plan.
Exclusives:
[...]

Multiplatform Marketing Deals/Partnerships/Bundles/etc
[...]

We literally know know nothing about Sony's plans except the following.
[...]

It's unlikely they'll announce something at E3 and release this holiday. So unless I'm missing something big, I think that Sony is in for a rough holiday.

Beside the mentions of Marketing deals in the OP, the last sentence I bolded makes it clear that the thread is about sales.

EDIT: Sorry for going off-topic.

Somnia

Eh, after trying Smite my only hope was that Fable Legends would be much better, because I didn't really enjoy what I played.
I'm quite confident that Lionhead can produce something that looks and plays better actually, what still doesn't convince me is the asymmetrical gameplay. It doesn't seem it worked well for Evolve (or did it ?), it would be an additional hurdle to pass.

That's too bad, Smite is a pretty amazing game with a good community. I'm really hoping XB1 users gravitate towards it and it becomes big on console too.

Dont get to excited for Legends... thats all i can say.

I can almost guarantee the decision to make the monetization model F2P is because of the non-response. And I agree, F2P or not, game will bomb. Its hardly the only F2P game out there.

Poop!

How many exclusive exclusives has Microsoft put on the XB1? I'm talking about games that weren't ported to 360 or PC or merely console exclusive.

Same could be said about any companie's ecosystem. Like games that appear on PS3/PSP/PS4/Vita, or WiiU/Wii/DS/3DS. Saying "exclusive, exclusive" is getting rid of 95% of games out there for all systems.

First it was exclusive, then it was first party exclusive, second party exclusive, third party exclusive, timed exclusive, then console exclusive, now we get exclusive exclusive. Seriously? Where does it end? The days of true 100% exclusives to only one single system are the extreme exception to the norm.

Frog-fu

Banned
Sunset Overdrive and Forza are the only notable ones I believe.

Forza 5
Killer Instinct
Crimson Dragon
Powerstar Golf
Halo 2 : Anniversary (MCC)
Kinect Sport Rivals
Sunset Overdrive
D4
Dance Central Spotlight

Thanks. That's actually more than I thought. Killer Instinct is going to PC though, I think?

I don't think that that's fair. Microsoft isn't just Xbox One. Its 360 and pc too. you expect them to ignore everyone and everything else?

Sony has the PS3 and PS Vita to consider as well and they're doing a great job. Granted, they have the advantage of having no stake in the PC gaming market so consumers have to buy into their ecosystem to play their games. Microsoft shouldn't ignore the other platforms, but they're not showing enough in the way of thirst for making XB1 the gaming platform to be on this gen in the console space.

Can we just stop with the list wars stuff?

MS says they have a new exclusive IP, which means it will not appear on Sony or Nintendo platforms, but could appear on the Windows 10/Xbox platform. Why should we care about the specific hardware?

EDIT: So disappointing that you guys feed the troll.

To start, I don't appreciate being called a troll. I'm a Halo fanboy and own every Xbox generation to date.

I asked for a list not to start a list war, but because I was curious.

We should care about the specific hardware because every non-genuine exclusive is just one less incentive for people to buy into the Xbox platform. I honestly don't know what Microsoft are thinking when they they are already getting stomped in the console space that they think it wise to fund IP that will not remain exclusively to the platform they need it for the most. Crossgen is one thing, but anyone with a gaming PC is going to laugh at the prospect of buying an XB1 when they can just play the game on their primary gaming platform of choice, especially when it'll be cheaper and in superior quality to boot.

Fable Legends is going to bomb so hard. Christ knows why they are even making that thing.

Fable 3 sold close to 5m copies last I checked. I believe the Kinect game sold well too. It's not surprising they funded another.

Alx

That's too bad, Smite is a pretty amazing game with a good community. I'm really hoping XB1 users gravitate towards it and it becomes big on console too.

Maybe (probably) I played it wrong, since I'm not very familiar with the genre, but my first games were the same cycle of throwing awkward attack animations at foes, getting killed by the opponent main character, respawning, repeat. And the game lasted for too long, near the end I wasn't even fighting back and the game wouldn't end.
I don't think it will be easy for the game to capture a new audience, while I could easily get into Warframe. But then, maybe the existing audience for that genre is big enough already.

Dont get to excited for Legends... thats all i can say.

As a matter of fact I never really was excited by Legends (even less than regular Fable games, which I only play casually when they're cheap). But since it's F2P I'll certainly give it a try.

As a matter of fact I never really was excited by Legends (even less than regular Fable games, which I only play casually when they're cheap). But since it's F2P I'll certainly give it a try.

I didnt know that ;)

But yeah you should try it out^^

But for me as a big Fable fan, this thing is a big disappointment... And i dont know why this got greenlit...

2 months away so it's probably a pretty big reveal (footage at conference + gameplay on floor?). Getting excited.

Given its incredibly unlikely to release until next year I think Gamescom is more likely for gameplay on the floor although obviously I have no idea of their plans I would hope for a big reveal though

I didnt know that ;)

But yeah you should try it out^^

But for me as a big Fable fan, this thing is a big disappointment... And i dont know why this got greenlit...

This is what Lionhead want to make so thats what they get to do

Scalebound will do well I think. It's going to have some of the most marketing behind it that any Platinum game has had since MS seems to be framing it as one of their big exclusives.

Cool and all but i wouldnt be shocked if there are going to some layoffs after this...

Well layoffs aren't always due to project success (or lack of), its a natural part of development when a project ends but they are seemingly moving straight into a new IP so I think they might just get on with that without reducing head counts too much.

Microsoft have put themselves into an uncomfortable position. They no longer have the 3rd party advantage with an easier to work with hardware, nor do they possess the more powerful system. Meaning after all these years of trying to leverage 3rd party titles to make the platform the lead development they are struggling to keep up. Sony has also taken away the U.S market from them to consider exclusive deals unless Microsoft wants to continue spending money on IP's they won't own. They did just that for two generations and now they have very few worthwhile IP's that will help sell systems.

I just don't see Microsoft giving too many green lights to new projects if they continue to fall behind I in a market that doesn't seem to be growing. I think it's great Sony has put them in this situation and this E3 will reflect that but they should have been going in this direction years ago. I expect another price drop to 299 and if the system cannot gain traction throughout the year, not just the last two months, those who write the cheques will stop spending money on any new IP's.

Chobel

Microsoft have put themselves into an uncomfortable position. They no longer have the 3rd party advantage with an easier to work with hardware, nor do they possess the more powerful system. Meaning after all these years of trying to leverage 3rd party titles to make the platform the lead development they are struggling to keep up. Sony has also taken away the U.S market from them to consider exclusive deals unless Microsoft wants to continue spending money on IP's they won't own. They did just that for two generations and now they have very few worthwhile IP's that will help sell systems.

I just don't see Microsoft giving too many green lights to new projects if they continue to fall behind I in a market that doesn't seem to be growing. I think it's great Sony has put them in this situation and this E3 will reflect that but they should have been going in this direction years ago. I expect another price drop to 299 and if the system cannot gain traction throughout the year, not just the last two months, those who write the cheques will stop spending money on any new IP's.

You sound concerned, which is something really weird coming from you.

You sound concerned, which is something really weird coming from you.

I'm concerned in general, not just Microsoft's position. I see Nintendo as the only ones who keep creating content around its hardware yet fail miserably in sales. That isn't good and neither has this generation of more powerful consoles. I see very few risks all around and no real reason to move onto new hardware outside of a few titles.

Fable 3 sold close to 5m copies last I checked. I believe the Kinect game sold well too. It's not surprising they funded another.

Right, but this isn't Fable 4. It's some odd spin off battle mode type game that nobody asked for or seems interested in.

I could totally understand them making a full fat Fable 4. This I don't understand.

I don't think the Kinect game did that well although they have never stated them, so obviously we don't know for sure.

The news comes five days after the release of Kinect exclusive Fable: The Journey, which limped into 37th place in the UK all formats chart off the back of middling review scores and poor sales

Ushay

Right, but this isn't Fable 4. It's some odd spin off battle mode type game that nobody asked for or seems interested in.

I could totally understand them making a full fat Fable 4. This I don't understand.

I agree, I don't get why they even decided to this direction with Fable. They should have done something new instead. Legends sounds like it will bomb, hence they opted for free to play model. Don't get me wrong, I loved Fable, the first one especially, but this multiplayer thing isn't where I wanted the franchise to go, I wanted them to focus on RPG and storyline.

Sydle

To start, I don't appreciate being called a troll. I'm a Halo fanboy and own every Xbox generation to date.

I asked for a list not to start a list war, but because I was curious.

We should care about the specific hardware because every non-genuine exclusive is just one less incentive for people to buy into the Xbox platform. I honestly don't know what Microsoft are thinking when they they are already getting stomped in the console space that they think it wise to fund IP that will not remain exclusively to the platform they need it for the most. Crossgen is one thing, but anyone with a gaming PC is going to laugh at the prospect of buying an XB1 when they can just play the game on their primary gaming platform of choice, especially when it'll be cheaper and in superior quality to boot.

You could easily find that list in other threads (as well as this one since it turned into console wars), it doesn't need to be made again.

Microsoft are thinking that their future is mobile-first, cloud-first meaning, as Spencer recently said, "you should be able to play your games where you want." Why should they care where their games and services are being used? Why limit software sales and services to a single piece of (flailing) hardware when the Windows 10 platform including PC will likely reach a larger global audience than Xbox One could never attain, and likely larger than the PS4 install base will ever get?

I agree, I don't get why they even decided to this direction with Fable. They should have done something new instead. Legends sounds like it will bomb, hence they opted for free to play model.

Speculation on my part... But they will launch fl alongside win10, it will be one of a number of flagship apps and games available day 1 in the store as part of the windows 10 store launch...

Speculation on my part... But they will launch fl alongside win10, it will be one of a number of flagship apps and games available day 1 in the store as part of the windows 10 store launch...

It's also a showcase for cross-plat/buy strategies, DX12, as well as the Unreal 4 Engine, as Lionhead helped with some lighting technology for the engine.

I'm not taking sides on this ( because both methods of internal or external development is valid imo ), but every now and then, I do get the itch of the hypothetical "what if developer X's working on a new IP?"

Personally, I would love to see 343, Turn10, Polyphony, etc all work on new IPs, even though it's highly unlikely for the next 5-6 years, if ever. There's a sense of anticipation and excitement when there's a possibility that talented studio X could potentially branch away from their bread-and-butter to doing something else.

I'd say it's something Naughty Dog has definitely earned. Every fucking time, GAF keeps hoping they make new IP and new IP over and over again.

I agree, but would like to add something:

343i was founded for the sole purpose of creating Halo content, which is the biggest exclusive IP on Xbox by far, as far as I know. The name 343 even comes from Halo, so wanting 343 to do anything other than Halo is strange.

Turn 10 makes racing games, period. Racing is what they know, and Forza is Microsoft's flagship racing title. You wouldn't want Polyphony Digital to make anything else than Gran Turismo, would you? And MS/Turn 10 actually branched out, by letting Playground Games make Forza Horizon: a different take on the racing genre.

Black Tusk, Lionhead and Rare I can agree with. We're getting something "new" from Rare(might be old IP, but it'll feel new), Lionhead is working on a new IP I've heard, in addition to Fable:Legends. Black Tusk is the only one I really agree with, seeing as it was kind of a shame they put them to make Gears of War. It's still not certain if they're only going to be the "Gears of War guys", but I fear that is true.

Assuming it is, 343i, Turn 10 and Black Tusk are set to continue making Xbox's biggest IP's, and I think it is fair and well that they have own dedicated studios for their flagship titles. It's just as long as we get variation elsewhere.

Flavius

I agree, but would like to add something:

343i was founded for the sole purpose of creating Halo content, which is the biggest exclusive IP on Xbox by far, as far as I know. The name 343 even comes from Halo, so wanting 343 to do anything other than Halo is strange.

Turn 10 makes racing games, period. Racing is what they know, and Forza is Microsoft's flagship racing title. You wouldn't want Polyphony Digital to make anything else than Gran Turismo, would you? And MS/Turn 10 actually branched out, by letting Playground Games make Forza Horizon: a different take on the racing genre.

Black Tusk, Lionhead and Rare I can agree with. We're getting something "new" from Rare(might be old IP, but it'll feel new), Lionhead is working on a new IP I've heard, in addition to Fable:Legends. Black Tusk is the only one I really agree with, seeing as it was kind of a shame they put them to make Gears of War. It's still not certain if they're only going to be the "Gears of War guys", but I fear that is true.

Assuming it is, 343i, Turn 10 and Black Tusk are set to continue making Xbox's biggest IP's, and I think it is fair and well that they have own dedicated studios for their flagship titles. It's just as long as we get variation elsewhere.

I don't necessarily disagree, but my first thought after reading your question about PD was...hell yes, I would love to see a sequel to Omega Boost!

Top Bottom