• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to have new exclusive IP at E3, focus more on first party titles

Bessy67

i dunno about last year rumor, but this one is come from credible sources.
People around here always think the insiders are credible sources until they're proven completely and utterly wrong. Not saying that this rumor is false since I have no way of knowing, but you really need to take these tidbits from insiders with a huge grain of salt. Cboat, thuway, Pete Dodd, the list goes on.

-MD-

Hopefully if Banjo shows up it's far enough out that I'll be able to pick up an xbone dirt cheap when it releases.

Seems like this E3 will be

Live Gameplay> Pre-rendered trailers

Im sure MS have learnt their lesson with Phantom Dust.

I'm really excited to see what Rare is working on, its a good time to live in.

Please be Halo Wars... Please be Halo Wars... Please be Halo Wars, It would be an amazing bring back, especially if they made it cross platform between Windows/Phone/Xbox and allowed for cross platform play. Hell, even throw Kinect Integration in to control your troops with your voice.
Its never going to happen :'(

...Now as for New IPs I really can't wait to see what they bring out. I can't even begin to imagine that they would do.

Mr Moose

That popped up last year too and in the end it was just that. A rumour.

This year its even worse since no one who might actually know is even hinting at COD marketing changing. Its just people spinning their wheels trying to think of stuff

Plus Sony has the big retail Destiny Expansion and Battlefront. They are not going to open the check book to market another 3rd party FPS even if it is COD

Have they ever done this before when they didn't have marketing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqmd7jVaEWM
I know Xbox did the same video too but still... Something is happeningggg!!!
Maybe.

Kyoufu

Seems like this E3 will be

Live Gameplay> Pre-rendered trailers

Im sure MS have learnt their lesson with Phantom Dust.

I'm really excited to see what Rare is working on, its a good time to live in.

Not just Phantom Dust, but a lot of their other announcements were all CG and stuff like PD doesn't even exist anymore. Awful awful awful. They cannot do that again if they want me to take their lineup seriously.

Right. Very reliable source. Especially after getting Battlefront I don't see what Sony has to gain from getting CoD too.

Unless Activision is going rogue or something
I believe more that Activision is going rogue. PS4/COD sales are higher even without marketing deals behind it.

Third party marketing deals are so meh, they should just stop doing it (especially when big publishers have their own conferences).

Gartooth

Wonder who the new IP is from. Rare's cooking something up, but I really hope it is a return to Banjo so it better not be them. :p

Welfare

Not just Phantom Dust, but a lot of their other announcements were all CG and stuff like PD doesn't even exist anymore. Awful awful awful. They cannot do that again if they want me to take their lineup seriously.

Phantom Dust still exists. It's being done by another team.

Or was that bullshit?

But but but...
All they've announced so far for this year is everything they'll have. There's no way they can announce more '15 games at E3.

/s

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
ms's track record for new ips over the last 5-7 years is abysmal, and i don't have any faith in them turning it around now

Shit, I forgot all about Twisted Pixel.

I believe that the studio has gotten a bump up, especially with Arron Greenburg talking about how this is their biggest game in TIC podcast.

The concept art from Lococycle showed something very Un-Twisted Pixel, it showed something serious and very scifi looking.

Plus there was also a image of MoCap being used.

They are defintely working on new IP.

Kyoufu

Phantom Dust still exists. It's being done by another team.

Or was that bullshit?

I don't know, did they actually find a new developer for it? But the point is that they could have easily just gave up on it (if they haven't already?) after giving the developer the finger. I'd just like them to show something more meaningful and substantial than they did last year.

And for the record, I wasn't a big fan of Bloodborne's CG trailer either.

I am still holding out hope for a new mascot based 3d platformer that can be played with a normal controller Either from a major player like Microsoft or the indies (Can't wait until the retro people make it to late 90's mouthless graphics).

abadguy

Banned
This stuff never ends up translating into anything come E3 whenever any of the companies say stuff like this. I've stopped listening to them because every time the conference'll end and I have to ask myself what they were actually talking about. And then it turns out it was some small downloadable title or something. Happens every conference.

Didn't seem to happen last year.

I don't know, did they actually find a new developer for it? But the point is that they could have easily just gave up on it (if they haven't already?) after giving the developer the finger. I'd just like them to show something more meaningful and substantial than they did last year.

And for the record, I wasn't a big fan of Bloodborne's CG trailer either.

The difference was that we got a gameplay trailer for that at Gamescom and TGS. Meanwhile still waiting for that Halo 5 SP footage...

-MD-

I am still holding out hope for a new mascot based 3d platformer that can be played with a normal controller Either from a major player like Microsoft or the indies (Can't wait until the retro people make it to late 90's mouthless graphics).

Project Ukulele.

Links_fantasy

I'm personally sick of all third party exclusivity deals whether it's MS or Sony. I really wanted to play the new Dragon Age Inquisition DLC but because I brought it on PS4 I have to wait over a month to play it. By which time my interest in it will have waned and more new games are released.

He must have heard the criticism after last years E3 that nobody cares about third party titles showing up at there E3 press conference.

RexNovis

Banned
Not really surprising to be honest. This is basically their best and only course of action when they're not in the position where 3rd parties and indies are flocking to them.

They won't have major third party games like Battlefront, MGSV or Black Ops 3 at their conference so of course they'll need to promote their system with compelling 1st party exclusives.

I just hope they actually announce compelling 1st party titles. I'm not interested in Forza and Fable.

Are we certain they've lost the marketing partnership for CoD?

I agree I think this is the most obvious course of action for the market position they are in. We know from this tweet they will have at least 1 new IP but outside of that I'm guessing the vast majority of first party content will be stuff that we have already been shown or know about (Halo 5, Crackdown, Fable Legends, Forza, Gears of War, Battletoads etc). That's disadvantage of showing your hand early like they have done the past two E3s. It makes things in early development old news by the time they actually come out.

Top Bottom