• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to have new exclusive IP at E3, focus more on first party titles

Ehh, I disagree. New IP (no matter the genre) is a good thing for the industry IMO.

How? New IP is good for the industry because it means we aren't getting nothing but sequels and repetitive mechanics.

if it's generic and does nothing new, like watch_dogs or something, why does whether or not it's a new IP even matter?

Bessy67

How? New IP is good for the industry because it means we aren't getting nothing but sequels and repetitive mechanics.

if it's generic and does nothing new, like watch_dogs or something, why does whether or not it's a new IP even matter?
It might have the potential to be better than other things. I mean it's not like Uncharted or The Last of Us brought many new ideas to the 3rd person shooter but people still love those series.

On Demand

Banned
Reverse roles. This is exactly what Sony did last gen when they realized they weren't in the lead and couldn't rely on 3rd party games anymore.

Sony still has the first party output but now they seem to be focusing more on 3rd party games.

Moneal

why is everyone linking the new exclusive IP with first party? why would he mention exclusive when mentioning the IP if it was first party? wouldn't he just say that.

ViciousDS

Banned
gonna be at least 15 minutes spent on Battlefront IMO.

we all know Destiny and Battlefront are going to take up 30 minutes alone of that 3 hour conference.....while microsoft will have a 15 minute block with the Division and probably a beta date....even though we were supposed to have the division beta back in march for Xbox One players (at least from Shinobi's insiders)

So, I'm ready for gears, crackdown, halo, forza and much more from Microsoft this year. Last year was all trailers.....this year should be pretty good.

I just hope they don't do any cgi trailers and don't bother showing games that aren't coming till 2017. Last year they had cgi trailers for 4 games, Crackdown, Scalebound, Phantom Dust, and Tomb Raider. If its not ready don't show it.

I'm am saddened and amazed that we are arguing over marketing partnerships, maybe I could sort of understand if we were speaking of exclusives but MARKETING PARTNERSHIPS!? Who the fuck cares!? Anyway I'm really hoping for banjo this year, hopefully Phil spencer is aware of how concerned people are about phantom dust and they will tell us who the new dev is.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MS expanding their first party is the only way they're going to get me interested again. I really hope they add some variety to their exclusive line up.

Chobel

That's good to hear. Still shitty how it went down though, but that's already discussed in the appropriate thread.

Less CG trailers is all I ask of MS.

You're in luck

lZcTZqV.png

Xav

Before Kinect was dropped and Phil Spencer came on board. I had heard that Rare were planning some kind of pirate themed Nintendoland like game.

It seems that plans have changed because Rare is now working on something else. Something that GAF will actually give a shit about.

I don't want to spoil the surprise because Phil Spencer is a cool guy.

... it's not Banjo but it is an old IP.

Good move. I plan on picking an Xbox up at some point, but a stronger first party software presence on the system makes it more and more difficult to delay the purchase.

Nanashrew

Banned

If it's the same old thing just new skin then it's just furthering the trend of over-concentration so we get less and less cool and creative ideas, mechanics, and stories to be fully explored. A new IP shouldn't always mean new skin and same old ideas that it's just new for the sake of new.

Red Hood

Banned
The most important question of them all: really exclusive or timed? It does say first-party, but you never know. I hope see something from Rare other than Kinect related stuff. Besides the Banjo-Kazooie series (hype over the roof for Threeie, hype non-existent for N&B2), I really think they have potential gold with Perfect Dark. It can be Microsoft's Deus Ex like franchise, though sans the augmentations and stuff. How did PDZero disappoint so much?

I don't know, did they actually find a new developer for it? But the point is that they could have easily just gave up on it (if they haven't already?) after giving the developer the finger. I'd just like them to show something more meaningful and substantial than they did last year.

And for the record, I wasn't a big fan of Bloodborne's CG trailer either.

it's an ultra super duper secret not sure why they only hide the phantom dust studios, i'll never understand that part.

You're in luck
lZcTZqV.png

That doesn't necessarily mean much. Gameplay trailers/demos can be up to 15 minutes long whereas cgi trailers are done in a minute. They could reveal all their new stuff via cgi trailers and that statements still probably true. Last year had way too many Cgi trailers but it still had more gameplay than cgi.

Before Kinect was dropped and Phil Spencer came on board. I had heard that Rare were planning some kind of pirate themed Nintendoland like game.

It seems that plans have changed because Rare is now working on something else. Something that GAF will actually give a shit about.

Rare is not the same rare from years ago, not sure why at this point there is so much focus on them. That rare is gone.

Bessy67

They will show Halo 5 and Rise of tomb raider demo 100%. Gameplay trailer for Scalebound , Gears and Crackdown.
I think we'll see gameplay for Scalebound, but I'm not so sure about Gears and Crackdown. Maybe in-engine trailers for those games but I'm not expecting gameplay.

Rare is not the same rare from years ago, not sure why at this point there is so much focus on them. That rare is gone.
I don't get why people keep saying this. I mean, pick a studio and look at their current staff compared to their staff from 20 years ago.

Trago

Of the Microsoft first party developers, we definitely don't know what Rare, Twisted Pixel, and I guess BigPark are working on. We pretty much know what everyone else is doing, unless some of them announce totally new IP's which would be great.

Averon

So the switch between Sony and MS compared to last gen is complete. This is exactly what Sony did when they lost the leadership position with the PS3. Get whatever third party deals you can, but spend the lion share of your investment dollars building your first party offerings.

So the switch between Sony and MS compared to last gen is complete. This is exactly what Sony did when they lost the leadership position with the PS3. Get whatever third party deals you can, but spend the lion share of your investment dollars building your first party offerings.

You saw sony's e3 conference? Sony 's studios did not disappear.

yeah, it's like everything is happening in reverse now but hell if this kicks MS in the butt to create new stuff im all for it.

Battletoads!

Im so giddy for Scalebound.

It'll be insane to see what Platinum Games can accomplish with the Xbones hardware, especially after what they've done with Bayonetta 1/2 and MGR on last gen spec hardware.

Also the fact that MS is funding is never a bad thing, they have da monies.

I have complete faith in Kamiya.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Except that anything that is happening right now has been in the works for years.

I think we'll see gameplay for Scalebound, but I'm not so sure about Gears and Crackdown. Maybe in-engine trailers for those games but I'm not expecting gameplay.

I don't get why people keep saying this. I mean, pick a studio and look at their current staff compared to their staff from 20 years ago.

?? Naughty dog have many of the same staff as does sony santa monica, as does from software, as does teryarch, as does bungie etc.........you get the drift

Top Bottom